PDA

View Full Version : Texas' trio of NBA teams set to tweak

spurschick
07-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Texas' trio of NBA teams set to tweak
July 20, 2005
http://www.caller.com/ccct/sports_columnists/article/0,1641,CCCT_827_3940103,00.html

With only two days left before NBA teams can officially start rebuilding their teams, it looks like the Texas squads - San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks - will be making only minor moves this summer.

After pulling off arguably the biggest trade of 2004 by acquiring Tracy McGrady, the Rockets appear to have filled their need for a rebounding, shot-blocking power forward in Memphis free agent Stromile Swift. Reports from Houston have Swift, the second pick in the 2000 draft, selecting the Rockets over the New Jersey Nets on Friday.

Swift is exactly the type of player the Rockets need to team with center Yao Ming. The LSU product averaged 9.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game in five years with the Grizzlies. But in 14 starts this past season, Swift - who played the same position as Memphis' top player Pau Gasol - averaged 14.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks.

Those are the numbers the Rockets expect from the 25-year-old Swift as he moves into Juwan Howard's position.

The Rockets are also attempting to retain free agent guard Jon Barry and center Dikembe Mutombo. Barry provided a good spark off the bench, but there are plenty of possible replacements. Free agent point guards Jeff McInnis (Cavaliers), Dan Dickau (Hornets), Earl Watson (Grizzlies) and Damon Stoudamire (Blazers) have stirred some interest.

But the Rockets may look for a potential diamond in the rough. Former Duke guard Jay Williams is back playing two years after serious leg injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident. The Miami Heat and Rockets are two teams taking a look at the former lottery pick. Another reclamation project is former BYU combo guard Travis Hansen, who led his Euro League team deep in the playoffs. Hansen has a similar skill set to Barry.

While the Rockets are looking to add, the Mavericks - who are nearly $40 million over the projected $49.5 million cap, will be trimming and looking for bargains. Swingman Michael Finley is expected to be cut, center Shawn Bradley will retire and forward Alan Henderson and guard Darrell Armstrong will leave as free agents to get the Mavericks' books in line.

Once that happens, Dallas will look for inexpensive power in paint such as Seattle's Reggie Evans or Phoenix's Steven Hunter. The Mavericks may also tap into their European background to try and salvage Golden State forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili. The fifth pick from the 2002 draft, Tskitishvili floundered in Denver before being dumped on the Warriors midway through this past season.

The 22-year-old native of the Republic of Georgia entered the NBA with most expecting to see the second coming of Gasol. But Tskitishvili's game is based on perimeter play, despite being 7-footer. It is a game similar to Mavericks' star Dirk Nowitzki. Given how far Tskitishvili's stock has fallen, a small contract could result in a huge reward.

A huge reward is not what the Spurs are looking for as they go in search of a second straight NBA title. Instead, retaining free agent Robert Horry and restricted free agent Devin Brown and getting 2002 second-round pick Luis Scola to sign have been the focus of the summer.

Horry is expected to re-sign on Friday. Talks with Scola, who is considered an NBA-ready bruising power forward, did not prove fruitful. Instead, the Spurs have Scola's Argentinean teammate Fabricio Oberto ready to sign. The 6-foot-10 Oberto is one inch taller and five years older the Scola, 25, but lacks the physical strength to be a force in the paint and is a horrendous free throw shooter.

The Spurs will also like to find a suitor for center Rasho Nesterovic, who has been passed by Nazr Mohammed on the depth chart. Potential sign-and-trade partners could be found on the restricted free agent market. Seattle's Vladimir Radmanovic has great touch from the outside.

San Antonio may also be in the market for a future replacement for defensive stopper Bruce Bowen, who just turned 34. Charlotte's Gerald Wallace was among the league leaders in steals and blocked shots per minute and would be an interesting developmental player.

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
The 6-foot-10 Oberto is one inch taller and five years older the Scola, 25, but lacks the physical strength to be a force in the paint and is a horrendous free throw shooter.

By all account he's stronger than Scola and everything I've seen calls him "tough as nails" and "immovable in the post." But whatever.

Joesteds
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
That would be kind of exciting to have Jay Williams come in as PG for the Rockets, especially if he could get back to form which could take a year or so since he has been out so long. I also like Dan Dickau as a spark off the bench. I don't think the Spurs can sign Gerald Wallace unless the Bobcats would want to do a sign and trade for Rasho, but I don't think they want his contract either.

spurschick
07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't put much stock in any info coming out of the caller times its one of the worst papers ever incomplete and incorrect stories are a daily adventure while reading this paper

:lol I certainly didn't think it was best analysis I'd ever read, but I liked it's simplicity. He seemed a bit more interested in the Rockets than the other two. Obviously not much in the way of professional sports down there in CC.

Joesteds
07-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah that was weird how it was mostly about the Rockets. Hell I didn't know Cuban ran up 40 million over the cap. They can't really make any moves. Spurs have very little that they need to do. I guess Houston is the mover for this summer in Texas.

GoSpurs21
07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
funny I thought the BIGGEST trade of 04 was Shaq...just goes to show the creditability of the writer