PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Manu Ginobili admits he thought he might retire after season

Kool Bob Love
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Ginobili acknowledged some dark days in the immediate aftermath of the NBA Finals, when he wondered if his desire to play could be at the same high level that has characterized his career…. He gave momentary consideration to retirement….

“After the Finals and after the first of July, I just wanted to hear from R.C. (Buford, Spurs GM) and (coach Gregg Popovich) what their plans were,” Ginobili said. “I wanted to hear if they wanted to keep the group together. You never know.
“R.C. said he wanted me back, and then there was nothing else to say. I was sure after the first talk that I was going to stay.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/manu-ginobili-admits-he-thought-he-might-retire-after-season/

irishock
07-31-2013, 01:26 PM
He should've pulled the trigger before game 6.

Buddy Mignon
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Why not milk these idiots out of more dough.

TheGreatYacht
07-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Ginobili acknowledged some dark days in the immediate aftermath of the NBA Finals, when he wondered if his desire to play could be at the same high level that has characterized his career…. He gave momentary consideration to retirement….

“After the Finals and after the first of July, I just wanted to hear from R.C. (Buford, Spurs GM) and (coach Gregg Popovich) what their plans were,” Ginobili said. “I wanted to hear if they wanted to keep the group together. You never know.
“R.C. said he wanted me back, and then there was nothing else to say. I was sure after the first talk that I was going to stay.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-after-season/ (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/manu-ginobili-admits-he-thought-he-might-retire-after-season/)That SOB should've retired. I knew his passion and hunger to play were in doubt. R.C. basically waved the $14.5M check and Manu decided to stay. Fuck you RC.

ElNono
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
He's been hinting about playing for 2 more seasons for a while... but for the Spurs... I'm glad he's back, tbh...

Juggity
07-31-2013, 02:26 PM
If he plays more off-ball, spends more time cleaning up his shot mechanics and decision making, stops attempting >5 bad/difficult pass attempts per game, and generally calms down, he can still be valuable. Not $14 million worth of value, but still.

Thread
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Hell, it was probably a toss up twixt retirement & doing the dutch.

Christ, Maravich (though it did run in his family) had to be put on a suicide watch after the Celtics rang in '81. Bird and a contingent of Celtics had begged him to come on board.

Me? When something bad happens like that I lean strongly toward homa Vs sui where cide is concerned.

hater
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Let's see. Retire or get paid 7 million a year for passing balls to the opponent and the fans in 1st row??

mmm what a tough decision

ElNono
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
tbh, Pat Riley had to be impressed... can't think he wouldn't offer $4m-$5m/season for his Finals MVP...

The Spurs being the savvy franchise they are just made the better offer...

Thread
07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Let's see. Retire or get paid 7 million a year for passing balls to the opponent and the fans in 1st row??

Dont' say another fuckin' word, hater. You're paying Duncan for missing layups.

Baseline
07-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Baseline
07-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Exactly - and there's more where those came from. We thought Pop made the stupidest decision in the history of sports by sitting Tim in the last minute of Game 6, but RC matched him by giving Manu 14M and two more years. Nice going, RC.

Thread
07-31-2013, 05:22 PM
^You're an ingrate, Base. A spoiled a-hole.

DMX7
07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
His ass needs to retire like today.

Thread
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
^How the Hell can you turn your back on him after all he's done? It's unfathomable.