PDA

View Full Version : Megabus

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 01:49 PM
http://us.megabus.com/

Anyone heard anything about this here in Texas? Bus rides between SA and Austin or Dallas for less than $10 AND free wifi? My neighbor and I were talking about how much time I've spent on the road between here and Austin the last few months and she said this is what she would do. I don't see spending as much time on the road once the apartment is ready for move-in in a couple of weeks, but I'm still curious what this Megabus is like; the picture I have in my mind is that of the El Paso to Chihuahua Express Autobus lol

clambake
07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
a bus? filled with people?

yuk

scampers
07-31-2013, 02:06 PM
I rode Megabus from Boston to NYC once. It was fine. The bus was clean and the wifi worked. The passengers were weird.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM
My student workers swear by it. Say the seating and overall comfort isn't much different than a Greyhound.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Might give that a shot for UTSA football games. The ride back will be good sobering up time.

Spur-Addict
07-31-2013, 02:13 PM
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/cms_exf_2007/_video_wn_images/8760082_600x338.jpg

http://www.thecampuscompanion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/megabus-crash.jpeg

clambake
07-31-2013, 02:14 PM
megabus from san antonio? i'd be afraid of a grease fire! har har

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
a bus? filled with people?

yuk

And possibly goats and chickens too!

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Greyhound with lipstick

SA DAVE
07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
It's a good ride. I've taken it from SA to Dallas and back. They automatically stop on the UT campus along the way. That's where the interesting people board. Overall, it's less expensive than the amount of gas I would've paid to drive in my own car. The no stopping between cities thing is the best part.

SA DAVE
07-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Might give that a shot for UTSA football games. The ride back will be good sobering up time.

Not a bad idea. The stop in SA is off of Broadway, near downtown. It's about a five minute drive to the game from there. It's about a 40 minute walk though.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Not a bad idea. The stop in SA is off of Broadway, near downtown. It's about a five minute drive to the game from there. It's about a 40 minute walk though.To the Alamodome?

I must be reading the map wrong.

SA DAVE
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Maybe a less walk, but I don't think it's a five minute walk.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks like it's about a mile away. No biggie.

And damn, if I buy in advance the round trip for a game day is $2.50.

Spur|n|Austin
07-31-2013, 03:18 PM
My brother has taken it to Houston from San Antonio before - I guess it's a good option if you're saving mileage or gas money. I'd prefer to take my own mode of transportation though; I don't really like being so close to bus folk, small hands, smell like cabbage.

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Greyhound with lipstick

sounds like your mom

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Good info. Not sure if I'd ever do it myself but it seems like it may be useful for shuttling my kids if necessary.

ColinB
07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
It's not bad. The San Antonio > Austin > Dallas route is just filled with college kids. Wifi is spotty and useless for the most part.

Rogue
07-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Megabus (or any land vehicle) is safer than air-plane, at least you would have the chance of surviving should anything go wrong.

Joyrider
07-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Took it from SA to Dallas once. Random parking lot stop but there was only 6 people total on a double decker bus. MUCH better than gray hound and the allowance of outlets at each seat was a plus. Only cost me about $15 for one way and I booked the night before.

Suspect
08-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Megabus (or any land vehicle) is safer than air-plane, at least you would have the chance of surviving should anything go wrong.
3rd grade logic

batman2883
08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
I believe this is a genius idea

Rogue
08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
tbh I've been studying in school for more years than you've lived. There's basically nothing you could do to save your life when you're aboard a plane that's "falling down" because of machenic failure. Even Rambo wouldn't be able to survive it tbh.

Suspect
08-01-2013, 08:37 AM
tbh I've been studying in school for more years than you've lived. There's basically nothing you could do to save your life when you're aboard a plane that's "falling down" because of machenic failure. Even Rambo wouldn't be able to survive it tbh.
not something you should brag about

Suspect
08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
and ill humor you a bit, but its not about your chance of surviving really...it's more so the chance of an accident happening in the first place.

Spur|n|Austin
08-01-2013, 08:52 AM

This is absolutely false dude; air travel is much safer than travelling by automobile. I was under the impression everybody knew this.

Rogue
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
It varies from person to person imho. I'm stout and swift as fuck, and I've been driving my dad's cars on a regular basis since when I was only 3 (I ain't american but am truly a person who kinda grew up on 4 wheels tbh) so I know how to avoid getting killed in a car crash especially when I'm in the driver's seat but if you're stuck in a falling plane there's basically nothing you could do to evade the mortal fate. So the expected surviving rate for an average person might be higher when he/she takes a plane than when they travel by car, but it doesn't apply to everyone imho. Like what's more capable of killing a mosquito, a bat or a rifle?

Spur|n|Austin
08-01-2013, 09:05 AM
It varies from person to person imho. I'm stout and swift as fuck, and I've been driving my dad's cars since when I was only 3 so I know how to avoid getting killed in a car crash especially when I'm in the driver's seat but if you're stuck in a falling plane there's basically nothing you could do to evade the mortal fate. So the expected surviving rate for an average person might be higher when he/she takes a plane than when they travel by car, but it doesn't apply to everyone imho. Like what's more capable of killing a mosquito, a bat or a rifle?

So what do you do when a drunk or a texter crosses the line and hits you head on. And driving since you were 3? :lol

Rogue
08-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Dad drove the damn car (because I didn't have a license when I was that young, obviously) to an abandoned road then it came my turn to take the steer, and I never drive fast so I can slam the brake and stop the car instantly once we noticed any sign of danger tbh. I'm quite good at driving now supposedly but I still don't drive fast, I can definitely drive fast but I'd rather drive slow on the road and enjoy every minute I'm sitting in the car. Driving safe and slow is a habit from my childhood which I'm still keeping up to this day. The four wheels of my car feel just like the extensions of my limbs and I find it more enjoyable than any video game I've ever played.

Don't get me wrong though, I go to school and back home mostly by bike, as a method of aerobic training and environment/gas saving.

Chinook
08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I rode Megabus a good deal from Philly to New York and D.C. It was pretty good. WiFi didn't really work and the bus was almost always at least 20 minutes late, but for the price, it was definitely worth it. I haven't really considered it much since getting back to Cen-Tex, though.

Things are different in the Northeast, though. It's a lot easier to move around a city once you get there. I think driving has bigger advantages here. In a decade or so when Texas gets with the public-transit program a little more, Megabus will be a lot more useful.