PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe Interview with Steve Nash (briefly discuss the Spurs)

Amuseddaysleeper
08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
It's been a slow summer, but I figured I'd mention this tidbit from the Lowe/Nash interview that mentions the Spurs:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69965/qa-steve-nash-on-trying-out-for-inter-milan-the-dwight-howard-pitch-meeting-and-his-favorite-tv-dramas

That’s almost an indirect acknowledgement of the role luck plays, both in determining who wins a game and who wins a title. Sometimes stuff happens — guys miss a free throw, or someone gets on a random hot streak. Everyone wanted to say after Game 6 that the Spurs “choked.” But, really, a lot of crazy stuff happened — LeBron missed a 3 so badly it hit the backboard, and that screwed up the rebound. That kind of thing. You seem to have accepted that randomness impacts things. Is that unusual among players? Was that hard for you?

We’re in an age in North America where it’s championship or bust. I don’t think it was like that when I first came into the league.

Really?

I don’t know. I never felt it was like that. But now, with all these media outlets online, there’s gotta be a “take,” there’s gotta be a story, and there’s gotta be a winner and a loser. It has to be black-and-white. Even if someone doesn’t even necessarily believe it wholeheartedly, they have to pick a side and go with it. I want there to be one winner, and I want that team to be upheld as the most important thing. But there are other things. There are other factors. I don’t end everything right there. And I agree with you on the Spurs. You could say they choked. You could also say a million things happened. Maybe you could say Miami choked by not winning in five games. It’s myopic to go with these narratives.

That’s why measuring a player’s worth in rings drives me crazy. Jerry West’s teams lost a million Finals, and long before he finally won that ring, he was known as “Mr. Clutch.” There was a time where you could not win a title and still have respect as a big-time, big-game player. That seems more elusive now.

That’s what I mean. I don’t know where that came from. When I came into the league, it was different than it is now. I mean, I get it. I’m OK with it. I just don’t subscribe to it. I want to win. I’ve had some opportunities, and we had some bad luck. I don’t even look at it so much as bad luck. Things just happen. You could say it’s bad luck, but you could also say that if I made every shot, we would have won. Nothing is black-and-white, except for winning and losing, and maybe that’s why people gravitate to that so much. I find it much more interesting to look at the details.

Were you rooting for the Spurs, despite all the history there? I mean, they’re older, and you’re one of the league’s elder statesmen, and you’re close with Boris Diaw.

I was rooting for them a little bit. I did find myself wanting Boris to win, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Pop. He’s an amazing coach, and I was even rooting for him a little, which is strange, considering he beat us so many times. It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t try to tear his head off in an alley if the championship was put on the line.

Do you see some of the D’Antoni Phoenix teams in San Antonio? Pop has acknowledged the influence those teams had on him. Have you ever talked with him about that?

No, I haven’t. But that’s one of the interesting things — here’s a guy people look at as a disciplinarian, almost like a military guy, given his background. But he adapts continuously to his personnel, and to the game. The game is changing. How many post players are there in the league? There’s not that many, and it’s not that effective anymore.

tmtcsc
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
The whole country except for the city of Miami was rooting for us....and we won damn it. Just stop watching Game 6 at the 6 second mark. If you really want to have some fun, turn off the TV at the 28 second mark.

Spur|n|Austin
08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
The whole country except for the city of Miami was rooting for us....and we won damn it. Just stop watching Game 6 at the 6 second mark. If you really want to have some fun, turn off the TV at the 28 second mark.

:lol I like the idea - I'll turn it off right before TD in-bounds the ball standing over the rope barrier on the floor.

Budkin
08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
:lol I like the idea - I'll turn it off right before TD in-bounds the ball standing over the rope barrier on the floor.

Fuck.

xmas1997
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Even Nash agrees with most of us, it was a Team loss, not a select few individuals.

michaelwcho
08-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I love Nash. If you get a chance to read :07 Seconds or Less, it's a great read. I wish someone would write something like that about the Spurs.

ace3g
08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I love Nash. If you get a chance to read :07 Seconds or Less, it's a great read. I wish someone would write something like that about the Spurs.

I finally watched Moneyball a few days ago, and I hope one day we get a movie like that about the Spurs written by Aaron Sorkin

hooperflash
08-01-2013, 01:23 PM
This has been a fast summer.

Juggity
08-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Steve Nash is covering for his own failures on the ring question.

The gap between 4 and 5 championships is a lot less important than the one between 3 and 4, which is a lot less important than the one between 2 and 3, which is a lot less important than the one between 1 and 2, which is infinitely less important than the difference between 0 and 1.

Getting at least 1 championship is key to being remembered as an all-time great, though. I can't put anyone in the top 25 who didn't win a ring.

Budkin
08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Steve Nash is covering for his own failures on the ring question.

The gap between 4 and 5 championships is a lot less important than the one between 3 and 4, which is a lot less important than the one between 2 and 3, which is a lot less important than the one between 1 and 2, which is infinitely less important than the difference between 0 and 1.

Getting at least 1 championship is key to being remembered as an all-time great, though. I can't put anyone in the top 25 who didn't win a ring.

You wouldn't put Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, or Reggie Miller in the top 25? That's just stupid.

justinandimcool
08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
:lol Reggie in the top 25 :lol

Juggity
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
You wouldn't put Ewing,

Nope.

Barkley,

Close, but nope.

Stockton,

a few spots away from Barkley

Malone,

Not even close

Reggie Miller

Nope.

Budkin
08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Scott Hastings, Mengke Bateer, Mark Madsen, Chuck Nevitt, Greg Kite, Dickey Simpkins > Ewing, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Miller, Nash

Baseline
08-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Just stop watching Game 6 at the 6 second mark. If you really want to have some fun, turn off the TV at the 28 second mark. Exactly. Frigging exactly.

cheguevara
08-01-2013, 04:21 PM
to be more accurate. Stop the game at the point when Timmy is subbed out and given a championship congratulatory hug from Blair.

:cry

Budkin
08-01-2013, 05:02 PM
to be more accurate. Stop the game at the point when Timmy is subbed out and given a championship congratulatory hug from Blair.

:cry

FUCKFUCKFUCKMOTHERFUCKER!

BoricuaCJA
08-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Nope.

Close, but nope.

a few spots away from Barkley

Not even close

Nope.

Name me your top 25 then. Here's a little help so you can remember all those names. http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html

Juggity
08-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Name me your top 25 then. Here's a little help so you can remember all those names. http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Bird
6. Duncan
7. Olajuwon
8. Shaq
9. Chamberlain
10. Lebron
11. Robertson
12. Moses Malone
13. Isaiah
14. KG
15. Dr. J
16. Dirk
17. Jerry West
18. Dwyane Wade
19. Kobe
20. David Robinson
21. Havlicek
22. Bill Walton
23. Scottie Pippen
24. Charles Barkley

BoricuaCJA
08-02-2013, 01:56 AM
1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Bird
6. Duncan
7. Olajuwon
8. Shaq
9. Chamberlain
10. Lebron
11. Robertson
12. Moses Malone
13. Isaiah
14. KG
15. Dr. J
16. Dirk
17. Jerry West
18. Dwyane Wade
19. Kobe
20. David Robinson
21. Havlicek
22. Bill Walton
23. Scottie Pippen
24. Charles Barkley
Everyone has their opinions. You said Barkley is not in your top 25 but then you have him in there? Also you forgot #25.

Juggity
08-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Everyone has their opinions. You said Barkley is not in your top 25 but then you have him in there? Also you forgot #25.

I said Barkley was close initially (read my initial post), but changed my mind when I looked at who else was available at that point. Barkley was a solid player back in the day and not a choker à la Malone/Stockton.

The fact that he didn't win a ring weighs heavily on his placement though. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying he exceeds the 24th spot.

As for 25th, I don't know. Jason Kidd, maybe?