PDA

View Full Version : Neal on going to Bucks...

tenbeersbold
08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
"In San Antonio you had the expectation of being a team that's going to be in the playoffs or make it to the Western Conference finals every year," Neal said in a telephone interview. "Even though Milwaukee doesn't have those same expectations nationally, I have an opportunity to play a bigger role and a bigger part here. As a competitor you look for that situation. This is the first time I've had this role in the NBA."
Neal will help add some scoring punch to a backcourt that lost Monta Ellis and J.J. Redick earlier this summer.
"For the most part it's just something I'm excited about and happy about," Neal said. "Especially talking to coach Drew and ownership, it's something that has me excited. I kind of wish we could start tomorrow."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/07/30/sports/basketball/ap-bkn-pistons-bucks-trade.html?ref=basketball

TXstbobcat
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
He will have a bigger role on a crappy team.

tenbeersbold
08-02-2013, 10:44 AM
It will be interesting,the Spurs have always had a tough time w/ the Bucks for whatever reason

We're only 41-36 vs the Bucks

Dex
08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
lol Milwaukee. Basketball purgatory.

SpurPadre
08-02-2013, 11:03 AM
In other words, "All right, now I get to jack up garbage 15-20 times a game despite the shot clock and not get benched for it! WOO-HOO!!!!!"

wildbill2u
08-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Neal uncomplainingly played his limited role on the Spurs with his skill at shooting and improved some skills as a PG. Although Green got the headlines for setting the record for 3s in the playoff game, we wouldn't have won without Neal also hitting a bunch of 3s.

Any player would like to go to a team where he can play more. Thanks, Gary.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Neal uncomplainingly played his limited role on the Spurs with his skill at shooting and improved some skills as a PG. Although Green got the headlines for setting the record for 3s in the playoff game, we wouldn't have won without Neal also hitting a bunch of 3s.

:tu

silverblk mystix
08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Can anyone explain how this Neal thing makes any sense at all?

#1) Spurs did not even try to re-sign him at all and pretty much opened the door and told Neal to gtfo.

#2) Spurs signed someone who is not an upgrade - might even be a downgrade - and pretty much didn't save any money or lost any money.

#3) This was the Spurs biggest off-season move - unless you think that - that other unknown guy from unknown Indiana - was a notable signing (it wasn't).

#4) After years and years of the Spurs having players with no balls and no swag and no deadly shooting skillz - under pressure - in a matter of a couple of months - the Spurs got rid of Jax and Neal - the only two role players who had any balls and who didn't shrink under pressure.

#5) Will anyone here care when this proves to be a monumental shitty move?

Please explain...

silverblk mystix
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
oh yeah - also....getting rid of Blair for absolutely no good reason...

smh

gnsf0946
08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

#1) Spurs did not even try to re-sign him at all and pretty much opened the door and told Neal to gtfo.

#2) Spurs signed someone who is not an upgrade - might even be a downgrade - and pretty much didn't save any money or lost any money.

#3) This was the Spurs biggest off-season move - unless you think that - that other unknown guy from unknown Indiana - was a notable signing (it wasn't).

#4) After years and years of the Spurs having players with no balls and no swag and no deadly shooting skillz - under pressure - in a matter of a couple of months - the Spurs got rid of Jax and Neal - the only two role players who had any balls and who didn't shrink under pressure.

Please explain...

http://img.imgur.com/MKovDrU.gif

spurraider21
08-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Gary Neal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV6539XsWrc

:lol but in all seriousness, i'm happy for him. unlike a Blair/Jackson that were pouting about playing limited roles, Neal was a good soldier throughout his entire tenure here. While the appeal of playing for a contender like the Spurs is great, as Neal alluded to, on the Bucks he can have a bigger role, which you can't blame him for. The guy is about to turn 29, and you'd imagine that at one point or another, every basketball player wants to have more than just a situational/backup role. He can go back to playing for a contender when he's 33 or 34 or whatever, in the Derek Fisher mold. But if he wants to spend his prime on a team where he can get more minutes to really see what he can do, I'm all for it.

SpursRock20
08-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Please explain...

Bellinelli is foreign, Neal is not. Instantly upgrades Bellinelli over Neal in the Spurs' minds.

superbigtime
08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I think Pop didn't use Neal to best of his talents, and he was seldomly set up for shooting. He had to make and take his own shots and they were the pull up chucks which had a lower percentage. He's not a point guard but he got better at it because he had no choice, but he's no ball handler. his defense was lousy and matador, but truly i think he can be a better player. not just scoring more on a crappy team, but i think he could have been better in the spurs system. hate to see such a fearless player go, but i think he had reached his ceiling as a Spur. Wish him well, wouldn't mind seeing him again here at all when he is older, ala Dale Ellis type.

purist
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
did any of you see Neal play defense? .................................................. .................. didn't think so.

Poolboy5623
08-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Wouldn't have won, what? 2Nd place?

Mr. Body
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Good luck to him. He knows he's not going to ever see Spurs-level success, but he's making money that can likely set him up for the rest of his life. I'm proud of him. Good luck.

rjv
08-02-2013, 03:41 PM
In other words, "All right, now I get to jack up garbage 15-20 times a game despite the shot clock and not get benched for it! WOO-HOO!!!!!"

not to mention "i won't get yelled at for not playing d"

Fuzzy Dunlop
08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Welcome to our team, Gary.

TD 21
08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Despite not having a single star, nor a proven fourth wing, I don't know about an increased role. In order to get their best players on the floor as much as possible, they'll probably try to get away with Mayo at SF as much as they can, but realistically, that can only be done in select match-ups. Short of that, Mayo's going to receive roughly 35 mpg at SG and Knight and Ridnour will receive all of the PG minutes.

TrainOfThought5
08-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Despite not having a single star, nor a proven fourth wing, I don't know about an increased role. In order to get their best players on the floor as much as possible, they'll probably try to get away with Mayo at SF as much as they can, but realistically, that can only be done in select match-ups. Short of that, Mayo's going to receive roughly 35 mpg at SG and Knight and Ridnour will receive all of the PG minutes.

Good observation... i wonder where he'll get traded to at midseason.

Texas_Ranger
08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Actually he could play less minutes. With Knigt, Ridnour, Mayo and Delfino I don't really see him having a bigger role. The Bucks will probably force Mayo to play 35+ minutes a game.

Rogue
08-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Spurs will feel the pain caused by the departures of Neal and Blair imho. Both niggas were my favorite players on the spurs squad whom I always wanted on my team. It's a great summer for our team, at least for myself it is because my nigga Blair has joined our team, which I've been hankering for since his rookie season. We could still have done better though, we could've signed Neal for much less $ instead of paying Monta 10m/yr, assuming their outputs would be similar

Johnny RIngo
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM

Please explain...

Funny thing is that Neal and his 3 mil contract will probably produce more for the Bucks than TOSB Manu with his 7.5 mil. Spurs front office was beyond embarrassing this offseason.

Baam
08-03-2013, 01:37 AM

Please explain...

Yeah it's mindboggling that they blew the MLE on a Neal clone with worse shooting and a rival for Bonner :lol.

Only explanatation would be that they view Boris as a potential 3 after his Finals performance.

TP random scrub
Green Manu Beli
YY Boris
Tiago Pendergraph
Tim Baynes

or something

emanueldavidginobili
08-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Neal will average 12 ppg

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah it's mindboggling that they blew the MLE on a Neal clone with worse shooting and a rival for Bonner :lol.

Only explanatation would be that they view Boris as a potential 3 after his Finals performance.

TP random scrub
Green Manu Beli
YY Boris
Tiago Pendergraph
Tim Baynes

or something

Belinelli might turn out to be better than Neal in the Spurs system, on offense, and miles better on defense if his last season is any indication where he learned to be much better defensively.

therealtruth
08-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Belinelli might turn out to be better than Neal in the Spurs system, on offense, and miles better on defense if his last season is any indication where he learned to be much better defensively.

I think he will be more efficient and play within the offense. On defense it's hard to be worse than Neal. He can't even stay with stationary shooters.

therealtruth
08-03-2013, 12:27 PM
not to mention "i won't get yelled at for not playing d"

Larry Drew is a defensive coach so it will be interesting to see how much of Neal's lack of defense he will be able to tolerate.