View Full Version : Summertime: Spurs Representing Well

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Summertime: Spurs Representing Well

By Emmett Shaw
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 20, 2005, 07:28

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13456.shtml

TAYLORSVILLE, Utah -- Scott Church and I are covering each game of the 6-team RMR summer league here. Look for our Day 4 coverage in a couple of hours elsewhere on the HOOPSWORLD home page. For the Revue column, my Spurs recap began to run a little long on yesterday's 84-62 thumping at the hands of the Charlotte Bobcats. In keeping with the Revue format we are using, it made more sense to turn the long recap into a short San Antonio Team Report. So here you go.

Back to earth. Undefeated in two games coming in, San Antonio met its match in Sean May and the Bobcats' defense. The Spurs were the NBA's leading men last June, but they were bit players in the “May Show” yesterday, as Sean unleashed a performance that could go a ways to getting himself named RMR Player of the Week. (A game high 22 points on 14 shots, 7 rebounds, and three assists.)

The Bobcats just have the better team – probably the best team here, because they defend the point well with 3 or 4 different little defenders, make the fewest turnovers, have two serious bangers (in May and Antonio Meeking) who bring their lunch pails every day, and have all they need on both ends in their swings Matt Carroll, Bernard Robinson, and Alan Anderson. This team has very possibly 5 or 6 guys who will be in the NBA this year, some of whom will get good minutes every night. Against Charlotte, the Spurs couldn’t get the quality shots that they manufactured in their previous games and simply got smoked, but at least the Spurs got to look at a lot of their players.

They got their first look (in a game) at guard EJ Rowland, a 6-1 PG from St. Mary’s (California). James Borrego, Spurs video coordinator, is assisting the summer team’s coaching effort. James says that just a numbers game cast Rowland as the 3rd point guard on the team, but don’t let that knock EJ. “EJ has some tools and some skills that I think a lot of teams will look at. He has a defensive mentality and he comes from a defensive minded program at St. Mary’s. He played for coach (Randy) Bennett there; he has a defensive mentality, so if he can bring along the other side of the floor, he’ll be OK.” Rowland liked to take the ball into the paint with his dribble moves. He made 4 trips to the FT line and had 3 assists in his 13 minutes. EJ needs to cut the turnovers...he made 4 of them. He is playing behind a somewhat established NBA player in Andre Barrett and a guy, in 6-3 Justin Hamilton, who played for the Spanish champs.

Sergei Karaulov, whose name I’ve been slightly misspelling in my previous reports, got his most burn of the tour, 18 minutes. Said Borrego, “I think Sergei’s been a really blessed surprise for us this week. He works real hard. He doesn’t know the concepts of the Spurs, but he flies around like he does. He makes things happen; he blocks shots, has energy. We’ve seen some things out there that make us excited for the future.”

How many times do you see a 7-footer who has active energy? Not that much. Even Charlotte is missing that kind of player, or they would be a pick to go undefeated here. Sergei’s English language skills are alright at this point in his young life. Karaulov had 4 rebounds in his 18 minutes yesterday. For some reason, he went up unsure of himself on a couple of shots, finishing with 2 points on a nice jumper in the paint.

The scorer didn’t credit him with any blocks, but he made a couple and altered several more. Like most young bigs, Sergei needs to handle contact better. He allowed an offensive rebound on a free throw one time. Of Karaulov said Gordie Herbert, the coach of Paris Basket Racing who is assistant coaching SA here, “You gotta remember he missed three days of training camp. So he came in a little bit behind. But (he is) very athletic, active, great attitude, wants to learn.”

Gordie’s team in France plays against STB Le Havre, the club that has Ian Mahinmi, SA’s recent #1 pick. Here is Herbert’s take on Ian: “Young. Very athletic. Lot of upside. Good attitude. He doesn’t think he’s big-time. He wants to get better. And he’s in a good situation, I think. He played with the 2nd team this year and a little bit with the 1st team. Next year, they’re building the team around him. So it’s a very, very good situation.” Gordie expects that France will not rush Mahinmi onto the men’s National Team for their big qualifier in Belgrade this September. But he says the kid is certainly NT caliber in the future.

Speaking of Charlotte, have you noticed that it’s a team that has capspace that hasn’t been tied to a lot of FA rumors? Pop and Bernie Bickerstaff were chatting backstage for a little while yesterday. I sure wonder if these two teams couldn’t do a mutually beneficial transaction this summer, straight up or with another team.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Pop and Bernie Bickerstaff were chatting backstage for a little while yesterday. I sure wonder if these two teams couldn’t do a mutually beneficial transaction this summer, straight up or with another team. interesting even though they were probably talking about nothing, maybe a sign and trade deal Rasho for Gerald Wallace or Nazr for Gerald Wallace

T Park
07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
I would not trade Nazr Mohammed for Gerald Wallace.

Nesterovic yes.

IMO, Wallace is a 4 in a 3's body.

He should've had a HUGE year last year, but was up and down.

Jury is still way out on Gerald Wallace.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
You guys would pay Gerald Wallace close to $6M/year??

ace3g
07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
but Wallace is still young and even though at times his offensive game was lacking he still put up great numbers in rebounds, blks, and steals; something bowen does as well.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
You guys would pay Gerald Wallace close to $6M/year?? well based on that article saying about a possible sign and trade I figured rasho and nazr were the only 2 candidates.

I always wanted the spurs to try and sign Wallace but with the rest of MLE which someone said earlier would be around 3 yrs 8-9 million. I know that is not a huge contract but maybe the bobcats are looking to sign someone else this offseason and are willing to let go of Wallace

Walton Buys Off Me
07-20-2005, 02:22 PM
People apparently forget that the Spurs closely scouted Gerald Wallace in 2001 before the Kings drafted him. I think Pop likes the kid.

He's a Josh Howard clone that could excell in the right system.

I'd trade Rasho for him faster than Marcus Bryant can start another thread but I wouldn't pay him the money we're paying Rasho. 3 years, 7 million seems fair for him.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I think it's obviously that the Spurs would be interested in Gerald Wallace. I was just asking how much people would be willing to pay him.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
3 years, 7 million Princess

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
3 million tops. That's it.

Marcus Bryant
I don't see the Spurs throwing a lot of money at a free agent to come in and play 15 minutes a night next season.

The backup 3 is more likely to be a vet like GRobinson or Kukoc or a young guy who is one step away from being out of the league, like a Linton Johnson or a Britton Johnsen.

Marcus Bryant
Wallace is going to get more than 3 years and $7 mil in this league.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
3 years, 7 million Princess

I think the Bobcats would match that in a second. The Bobcats have said that they want to keep him, but aren't willing to overpay anyone. I wonder how much would be too much for them to match.

clubalien
07-20-2005, 02:34 PM
this is about ian
they’re building the team around him Telling you david>tim>ian
he is going to be david reborn and we will contuine to have one of the best big man and great peopel to build teams around

Solid D
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Let's not get too carried away on Ian, clubalien. He can't score like David and Tim. He only scores in the trapezoid area rt now.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
yeah I agree with Solid D, Ian cant be compared to the likes of Duncan and Robinson now; but he has the potential,skill, and talent to be a player like Duncan or Robinson, lets wait a few years and see how he develops before we praise him as the next Timmy or Robinson

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
in 5 yearsyou have the french connection:

Tony leading with a great jumpshot added to his speed (thx chip)
Ian controlling the paint with hustle and raw energy

with a supporting cast of superstar Duncan and in the role of the horry Xfactor from the bench the great and histroy maker Ginobili

i am drinking too much coffee lol

1Parker1
07-20-2005, 03:00 PM
in 5 yearsyou have the french connection:

Tony leading with a great jumpshot added to his speed (thx chip)
Ian controlling the paint with hustle and raw energy

with a supporting cast of superstar Duncan and in the role of the horry Xfactor from the bench the great and histroy maker Ginobili

i am drinking too much coffee lol

:lol or either drinking something a little stronger........

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
water is too strong. when you are not use to it it kills you.

core team in 5 years
Parker
britton? ljIII? wallace?
mahimni
Duncan

bench
manu
karaulov
sanikidze

timvp
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
“I think Sergei’s been a really blessed surprise for us this week. He works real hard. He doesn’t know the concepts of the Spurs, but he flies around like he does. He makes things happen; he blocks shots, has energy. We’ve seen some things out there that make us excited for the future.”

“You gotta remember he missed three days of training camp. So he came in a little bit behind. But (he is) very athletic, active, great attitude, wants to learn.”

An active seven-footer who is "very athletic"? Did the Spurs just hit another homerun?

:smokin

P.S.

It makes sense to me to bring Karaulov over this season. His Russian team is stacked and the Spurs could always send him to the D-League.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 03:32 PM
How about this:

IR
1 Barrett
3 Johnsen
5 Karaulov

?

With 2 of the 3 seeing NDBL action for most of the year.

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I am not sold on Johnsen over LJIII
Karaulov is in. or if Paris is accepted in premier league in france they would build the team around Karaulov and sanikidze. (damn i am really dreaming outloud in this thread)
Barett is the most uncertain of the three i think.

with the rest today. Karaulov should show a new face for the end of the summer league

ChumpDumper
07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Johnsen and LJ3 can battle for a roster spot in training camp.

I like Barrett if we don't go after another vet for PG #3.

Karaulov athletic? A nice surprise. LJ is right: he's not going to get much if any burn over Wolkowyski or Ershov, but he should in the D-League. He needs to switch Euro teams at the very least.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Why would Karaulov be over here if the Spurs weren't thinking about bringing him in? Maybe it is as simple as giving him some run this summer and seeing exactly what they've got for future reference.

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Imagine Barett - johnsen or LJIII - Karaulov are in
that's three we still need 2 more to get to 15. point guard is full and bigs are complete unless trade. so still need 2 SF/SG...

Karaulov is only 23. sounds like a good surprise. NICE!

ace3g
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
I like Barrett if we don't go after another vet for PG #3. that is why I want the spurs to try and sign Jon Barry; you wouldnt have any questions about how he would play if he was signed

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
that is why I want the spurs to try and sign Jon Barry; you wouldnt have any questions about how he would play if he was signed

Sure, but the problem is that there are only so many roster spots. Assuming that Devin Brown is re-signed, the Spurs will only have one active roster spot left. Maybe that's for the 3rd point, but more likely it would be for some kind of 3 man.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
true Marcus, I to would rather have a SF take the last roster spot than a PG, but that depends on who we can get to fill that SF position

Meaning if we can get someone like Gerald Wallace or someone of that skill level than sign him instead of Jon Barry but if the spurs are looking at a young unaccomplished SF, then I would rather have Barry

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah I agree with Solid D, Ian cant be compared to the likes of Duncan and Robinson now; but he has the potential,skill, and talent to be a player like Duncan or Robinson, lets wait a few years and see how he develops before we praise him as the next Timmy or Robinson

Lets not go overboard on his ability to develop a offensive game. It sounds like maybe he's more like Moses Malone (or a Nasr with hands) on offense and can rebound and put back the garbage.

Hopefully he can get better than either at defense, but who knows at this point.

exstatic
07-20-2005, 08:31 PM
The Third's problem is the same problem that Gerald Wallace has: neither one of them could hit water if they fell out of a fucking boat. Johnsen is bigger than both, and can shoot from downtown.