PDA

View Full Version : NBA hopefuls battle for a pro basketball career (Andre Barrett)

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
NBA hopefuls battle for a pro basketball career at the Rocky Mountain Revue
By Gerald Narciso

http://www.slccglobelink.com/media/paper442/news/2005/07/20/News/Nba-Hopefuls.Battle.For.A.Pro.Basketball.Career.At.The .Rocky.Mountain.Revue-963077.shtml

Each of the 80 or so players participating in this year's Rocky Mountain Revue has a story behind them. Some of them have guaranteed contracts and are just playing to get some more seasoning in preparation for the upcoming year. But the vast majority of the players here at the Revue, are without a contract and fighting for a job this fall.

Some of these prospects will score an NBA contract, but most won't. Trying to chase the NBA dream, can bring plenty of uncertainty in a young man's life. The average player here probably couldn't tell you where he'll be in November. He could be with the New Jersey Nets, or the Shanghai Sharks, or the Florida Flame with the NBDL (Nation Basketball Development League).

And don't let their tough exteriors fool you, the uncertainty kills them.

"Yeah it bothers me a lot," said Andre Barrett, who is playing on the San Antonio Spurs' summer league team, "because you know you always have to impress somebody."

Barrett has reason to have some frustration. Once upon a time, he was one of the most celebrated point guards to ever come out of the famous New York City high school leagues. The 5-9, ultra-quick guard, was a McDonalds All American and was on every College's recruiting list. After a solid 4-year career at Seton Hall University, where he was named First Team All-Big East his senior year, Barrett was ignored in the 2004 NBA Draft. Following going undrafted, Barrett started his basketball odyssey that took him to 4 stops in just a 12-month span.

"It was tough," admits Barrett, 23, "but you know, you learn, and you get through it."

The first stop on Barrett's journey was with his hometown, New York Knicks. Barrett played well during the preseason, but with so many guards already under contract, he found himself odd man out. Immediately after being released by the Knicks, Barrett caught on with the Houston Rockets, where he appeared in 27 games, and averaged 2.1 ppg (points per game) and 1.6 apg (assists per game) in limited minutes. Because of financial reasons, the Rockets were forced to release Barrett in mid-March. Two weeks later, Barrett spent the remainder of the year playing with the Orlando Magic, in which he averaged 5.6 ppg and 2.5 apg in 11 contests. His inspiring play raised some eyes, but the Magic ended up drafting another point guard, leaving Barrett back at square one.

It is a reality that the common fan cannot understand. The NBA and professional basketball is a cut-throat business. Not every guy has the $40 million contract or the Nike-endorsement deal. A player can be here today, gone today in the snap of a finger. A professional basketball player can find himself living the life of a military brat, relocating time after time. But Barrett doesn't have time to pout. He has moved on once again, this time with the NBA Champion Spurs. Barrett is trying once again to prove he belongs.

"It definitely is a business, don't get it wrong," said Barrett after a 10 point, 8 assist debut versus the Sonics, "but you got to take the business part out of it when you step on the court. Off the court, you have to realize it's a business. But when you step on the court, you got to try to have as much fun as possible, and just come out and play. I mean, you can't worry about what people think about you, if one person likes you, that's good enough.

Joesteds
07-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I believe it was against the Spurs when the Rockets had the tandem of him and Rod Strickland playing the point. (Sura was hurt and James had not been aquired yet) Both of them looked horrible. Lots of T.O.s and Barrett looked lost out on the court. Thats the only chance that I got to see him play this year.

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
I believe it was against the Spurs when the Rockets had the tandem of him and Rod Strickland playing the point. (Sura was hurt and James had not been aquired yet) Both of them looked horrible. Lots of T.O.s and Barrett looked lost out on the court. Thats the only chance that I got to see him play this year.

Was that the game where Parker's full-court flush after picking his pocket essentially ended Rod Strickland's career?

wildbill2u
07-21-2005, 09:48 PM

If Barrett couldn't stay as backup Guard for the Rockets last season, he must not be any better than a lot of players coming out of college. Could it be that his height--5'9"--may have something to do with that perception?