PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili to sit out international play this Summer; 6 Spurs to participate

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-06-2013, 06:31 PM
This summer, national teams will fight for a spot in the upcoming FIBA World Cup to be held in Spain in 2014. Traditionally, Spurs fans have had a conflicting relationship with international ball because of injury concerns involving Manu Ginobili. But with Manu sitting out this summer, we can have some fun with it while we wait for the regular season to start.

Speaking of Manu, the last couple of summers he's competed internationally, and the last couple of years he had nagging injuries all throughout the regular season. The last time he took the summer off, he went on to play a career high 81 games (it would have been 80 if he'd been held out of the last game of the season in order to avoid that broken arm in the final game of the regular season!) and average over 30 minutes for the second time in his career while maintaining his stellar career per 36 minutes numbers. And all at the age of 33. He needs to work on his body and come back strong next season, and the only way that was going to happen is if he sits out.

I think it's only right that every player has the right to choose to play for their country and had Ginobili decided to play I would have defended his decision. But for the Spurs, it's great news that Manu is staying at home in Bahia Blanca instead of toiling for the Argentine national team.

Then we have Tiago Splitter, who decided to sit out the FIBA Americas competition (starting on August 30 in Caracas, Venezuela) which will allow him to rest his body after a grueling season. For the first time in his career, he had to play over one hundred games, and he was one of only 21 forwards or centers over 6-10 to play at least 75 games and play over 1800 minutes, not counting the playoffs. Splitter was really durable and that's huge for a center. But in his first year with the Spurs, an injury he carried from international play limited him at the start of training camp. Splitter had no problem after the Olympics last season, but at this point the benefits from him playing for Brazil are not worth the risk, at least from the Spurs' perspective.

Hopefully the rest allows him to work on his game and his body a bit and come back stronger and more polished offensively next season. But even if it only helps him stay healthy, it's a huge plus for the Spurs; especially when it comes to making things easier for Tim Duncan in the regular season.

So the South American Spurs will be resting, but the European and Oceanic Spurs won't. Tony Parker, Nando De Colo and Boris Diaw are on France's preliminary list for Eurobasket (starting September 4), Marco Belinelli will suit up for Italy and Patty Mills has confirmed his involvement in the Oceania New Zealand-Australia series (form August 14-18). Baynes and Cory Joseph are not locked in yet but will likely make their respective teams.

But unlike their teammates in the Western Hemisphere, I think playing this summer could be a good thing for these guys.

Let's start with Tony Parker. The leadership skills he displayed with the Spurs last season, he honed with the French national team -- or at least Pop thought so. At 31, Parker has a lot of miles on those legs but he has been very durable the last few years and his lack of success at the international level is something that probably bothers him. So it's better if he goes for it now than in a couple of years. There's also the question of Tony's off-season activities.

I know it's not fair to single Tony out because every NBA player uses the off-season to cut loose, but I'm more worried about Parker in a nightclub in New York or riding on a motorized skateboard than hanging out with the national team. It's silly and unfair since it's not like Parker ever got hurt riding a moped then lied about it, he just got caught in the middle of a brawl he didn't participate in. But I can't help but think it's better if he limits his risky behavior to his court time with the national team. But maybe that's just me.

Something similar happens with Boris Diaw and his weight. Boris will be in a contract year and usually takes relatively good care of his body, but he has struggled with weight issues in the past and that likely won't happen this summer. De Colo, meanwhile, will have a great chance of working against quality competition in practices and hopefully games too, depending on the amount of playing time he gets. Along with his Summer League run, that means he will have the minutes needed to develop his game in the off-season after not getting too many with the Spurs last year. And the more he gets to play with the other French Spurs, the better.

As for Mills and Baynes, competing can only help them. Mills' development as a play-maker won't happen playing for Australia, as he is usually off the ball and in the role of volume shooter. But he can continue to develop as a scorer, which seems an area in which he's more than equipped. Baynes, on the other hand, will play a similar role this summer as the one he will likely have in the NBA, since Australia has a solid starting front court already in place. Seeing if he can contribute in short bursts off the bench against decent competition could help predict just how good he can be for the Spurs next season.

And last but not least we have Marco Belinelli and Cory Joseph, the guys that can probably get the most of their summer play. Italy did not qualify for the London Olympics and has not been an elite European national team since they won silver in the Athens Olympics in 2004. After a mediocre campaign in the 2011 Eurobasket in which Belinelli scored 12 points per game on 43.5% from the field in five games (28.1% from three), he will likely be relied upon to be a featured scorer with Gallinari not available due to injury. Both Belinelli's scoring and playmaking will be put to the test against some high level competition, as Italy will face very talented teams in the group stage, including Turkey (Asik, Turkoglu and Ilyasova), Russia (Shved, Karasev), Sweden (Jerebko) and Greece (Spanoulis, Calathes, Bourousis).

Cory Joseph, meanwhile, has made the preliminary Canadian team and will likely make the team when it battles in Caracas for a place in the World Cup. For a young guy like Joseph, getting to play at a high level for his country is key for his development. He wasn't able to get significant playing time throughout the Spurs season, but he took his chances in the D-League, and eventually saw his minutes increase just before and into the playoffs. This summer he'll be able to play with, and potentially lead from the PG position, the talented Canadian national team (Tristan Thompson, Andrew Nicholson, Joel Anthony) which could further aid in his growth.

So there you have it. We can all breathe a sigh of relief this summer as Manu Ginobili won't be playing. Splitter is also taking the summer off, which is soothing news after he signed that big contract. While Parker playing might not be ideal, he's limiting his minutes, and his relative youth and durability alleviates some concerns, while the rest of the players should actually benefit greatly from playing for their respective national teams.

Mel_13
08-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Source:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/8/5/4576986/Spurs-fiba-eurobasket-national-teams-Parker-Diaw-Decolo-Mills-Ginobili

ducks
08-06-2013, 07:35 PM
about time fucking manu

dylankerouac
08-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm looking forward to trying to stream some of the games, when will the games begin and end? I'm especially excited about watching Belinelli.

DapDaGenius
08-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Good.

Sean Cagney
08-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Good.

unforeseen
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
What is the over/under on the number of Spurs using this as an excuse for playing terrible next season?

lefty
08-06-2013, 11:25 PM

DapDaGenius
08-07-2013, 12:03 AM

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/manuflop.gif?w=324&h=161

Budkin
08-07-2013, 12:21 AM

8!

Skull-1
08-07-2013, 01:50 AM
about time fucking manu

Vash StampedE
08-07-2013, 04:50 AM
He definitely should. Have he decided otherwise, I would join TGY's crew and defend him no more.

Diego20
08-07-2013, 07:24 AM
He definitely should. Have he decided otherwise, I would join TGY's crew and defend him no more.

Don't worry, you are officialy now a "Manuhater, TPhater, Pophater and TDsucker" with what you said in the other post.

look_at_g_shred
08-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Good news. He needs to think about how he is going to effectively reshape his game for next season. Oh, and can't forget about the part about resting his body either.

lefty
08-09-2013, 12:12 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/971447_564894850228471_740310174_n.png

ElNono
08-09-2013, 01:05 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/971447_564894850228471_740310174_n.png

:lol

Skull-1
08-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Lol

ace3g
08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Jeff Zillgitt @JeffZillgitt
(http://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt)Other item of note from Australian national team: Spurs F-C Aron Baynes (hamstring) will not play in FIBA Oceania Championships.

loveforthegame
08-10-2013, 11:43 AM
(http://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt)Other item of note from Australian national team: Spurs F-C Aron Baynes (hamstring) will not play in FIBA Oceania Championships.

Wonderful. Hopefully it's not serious.

Johnny RIngo
08-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Too little, too late. I hope Manu enjoyed sacrificing the Spurs success just to play some pointless international games where Argentina got their asses handed to them.

Proxy
08-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Too little, too late. I hope Manu enjoyed sacrificing the Spurs success just to play some pointless international games where Argentina got their asses handed to them.

:rolleyes

EVAY
08-11-2013, 03:21 PM

??Right. Like leading the only international team to beat the USA for a gold medal (when playing against Pop and Timmy, no less) in the Olympics since the USA's pro players started playing. Brilliant. Keep up the good work on those fact-challenged assertions. We can't wait to hear more.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Straight dumbass

Johnny RIngo
08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
??Right. Like leading the only international team to beat the USA for a gold medal (when playing against Pop and Timmy, no less) in the Olympics since the USA's pro players started playing. Brilliant. Keep up the good work on those fact-challenged assertions. We can't wait to hear more.

I have no problem with any Spur player deciding to play international ball while in their twenties. For Manu to keep doing it after the age of thirty is incredibly stupid especially with his injury history. And the facts say I'm right. What the hell has Argentina accomplished since 2004? Nothing.

ElNono
08-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Other than winning bronze in 2008? crofl

If the attitude is to analyze on paper then "they had no shot" in 2004 either... but the only way to beat the odds is going out there and playing, period. Competitive players don't ever think they don't have a shot, otherwise they wouldn't be who they are.

Johnny RIngo
08-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Other than winning bronze in 2008? crofl

Thank you for proving my point. Manu proceeded to miss 40 games and all of the playoffs that season. Spurs were knocked out in the first round. I hope the shitty Bronze medal was worth it.

If the attitude is to analyze on paper then "they had no shot" in 2004 either... but the only way to beat the odds is going out there and playing, period.

2004 was a fluke year anyway. The majority of the good players from the 2003 US team didn't show up and cancers like Iverson/Marbury were given free reign.

Competitive players don't ever think they don't have a shot, otherwise they wouldn't be who they are.

Competitive players should also rationalize what's more important - Appeasing a minority fanbase in Argentina(most of whom don't care about basketball anyway - soccer will always be the dominant sport there) or the Spurs fans who have been loyal to the franchise for decades.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Like it matters anyway. Australia and New Zealand are always given a bye in the FIBA World Cup.

ElNono
08-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Thank you for proving my point. Manu proceeded to miss 40 games and all of the playoffs that season. Spurs were knocked out in the first round. I hope the shitty Bronze medal was worth it.

lol capt hindsight. Proving what point? Breaking a hand on a freak play against Minnesota had how much to do with playing the Olympics, doctor? lmao

And of course it was worth it. That's a country that never had a medal of any kind before 2004 on Basketball. They were actually writing history, both in 2004 and 2008. Any kind of medal was huge.

2004 was a fluke year anyway. The majority of the good players from the 2003 US team didn't show up and cancers like Iverson/Marbury were given free reign.

Doesn't matter. They're the *only* team even today that beat a Team USA made up of NBA players twice. No other international team has pulled that off. Fluke or not, that was a historic team. Even Stern acknowledged that's the team that made Team USA change the culture and the way Team USA put teams together. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that team ends up being inducted in the HoF.

Competitive players should also rationalize what's more important - Appeasing a minority fanbase in Argentina(most of whom don't care about basketball anyway - soccer will always be the dominant sport there) or the Spurs fans who have been loyal to the franchise for decades.

That's actually the opposite from a competitive player. A competitive player wants to win everything they play, no matter the odds. They don't do it for "the fans", they do it to embrace the challenge.

And give Gino some credit, he did renounce twice to the NT to get rest.

Kool Bob Love
08-11-2013, 09:56 PM

ElNono is going balls deep into you right now. DAMN!

ElNono
08-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Meh, I understand every fan wants whatever... the reality is that teams cannot compel players not to play, and teams get an insurance company to pay a player's salary if they get injured during international play.

The reality is that the Spurs will always take the player that's a competitor and wants to win always no matter the circumstances, over the guy that just doesn't care. Even if the "drawback" is having to put up with international play. Makes absolute sense too. If a player always thinks they have no shot, what kind of attitude is that? Respect is fine, having a quitting attitude is just terrible.

That's why you'll continue to see a guy like Parker playing for France, even if France "has no shot"... these are guys that take pride in what they do, they want to compete against the best and want to win.

dylankerouac
08-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Can't wait to see how Manu responds from this. Even with his decline he can still continue to be a force if he adjusts his game like Tim has.

Also, considering the expectations for France, I hope Tony is able to lead his team to an upset.

dylankerouac
08-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Splitter getting rest this summer is great too.

Skull-1
08-12-2013, 02:10 AM
ElNono is going balls deep into you right now. DAMN! Easy there big fella. I am cool with El Nono. He's not a bad guy even if he is wrong sometimes. Johnny Ringo is dead right on this one. Argentina hasn't done sh*t since 2004 unless you consider third place worth something. I guess we should all be happy about second place in the Finals by that logic--and I am NOT happy. <ENTER> (Keyboard just died on the ENTER key here...) Also, FIBA rules are bullsh__ and everyone knows it. That's why Timmeh, arguably the BEST BASKETBALL PLAYER in the game right now....will never play internationally ever again. NBA > FIBA NBA > Olympics Ginobili < Blowup Doll vs Heat.

ElNono
08-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Third place in the Olympics might not be great if you're a loaded team and perennial winner like Team USA, but for a country that never had a medal in Basketball it's huge. Tournament is played only every 4 years, and there's only 3 teams that get up on that podium and bring something back home. I know for a fact none of those guys take that Bronze medal for granted, as they've said many times. There were no Lebron or Kobe in that team.

I know the average American doesn't give two shits about the Olympics, but that's not generally the case outside the US. It's considered a huge event, with historical implications.

Plus Manu has said he really enjoys playing with those guys. And bottom line, that's all there is to it. Just like Tony likes playing with the French team, and enjoys his leading role there. They're competitors, they relish the challenge, the stacked odds.

Whether Spursfan likes it or not, doesn't really matter. The Spurs certainly appreciate guys like that. Guys that didn't have that kind of attitude were dumped pretty quickly (see: Van Exel, Ron Mercer, RJ, etc).

Josepatches_
08-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Tony shouldn't play either. He had been playing last 2 or 3 summers in a row and he will play the World Championship next summer for sure. It would be better to rest at least one year. A lot of mileage and he's not young anymore.

Josepatches_
08-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Third place in the Olympics might not be great if you're a loaded team and perennial winner like Team USA, but for a country that never had a medal in Basketball it's huge. Tournament is played only every 4 years, and there's only 3 teams that get up on that podium and bring something back home. I know for a fact none of those guys take that Bronze medal for granted, as they've said many times. There were no Lebron or Kobe in that team.

I know the average American doesn't give two shits about the Olympics, but that's not generally the case outside the US. It's considered a huge event, with historical implications.

Agree

Spursfanfromafar
08-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Idiots calling into question, possibly the best international player since the Dream Teams from 1996.

Manu Ginobili's achievements for Argentina prove that David killing Goliath could not just have been a myth. Tbh.

Johnny RIngo
08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Idiots calling into question, possibly the best international player since the Dream Teams from 1996.

Dirk Nowitzki.

And Manu isn't even the best Spanish speaking international. Pau Gasol has had a better NBA career than him - 2nd option on two title teams(with many thinking he deserved the 2010 Finals MVP). Much more durable throughout his first ten years in the league too. He's a TOSB now but so is Manu(I'd argue Ginobili is actually worse - at least Gasol can still play more than 20 mins a game)

Skull-1
08-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Idiots calling into question, possibly the best international player since the Dream Teams from 1996. Manu Ginobili's achievements for Argentina prove that David killing Goliath could not just have been a myth. Tbh.It isn't a myth. It is a parable.

Johnny RIngo
08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
lol capt hindsight. Proving what point? Breaking a hand on a freak play against Minnesota had how much to do with playing the Olympics, doctor? lmao

:lol at the stupidity here. Off-season ball will ALWAYS affect a player's durability/endurance in the NBA. The freak athletes like Lebron or Kobe can get away with this but Ginobili's one of the most fragile players in NBA history - he should be resting at every opportunity. Instead, he'll heal up after every NBA season, play bullshit ball for Argentina, and proceed to start the NBA season tired and haggard.

And of course it was worth it. That's a country that never had a medal of any kind before 2004 on Basketball. They were actually writing history, both in 2004 and 2008. Any kind of medal was huge.

Yeah, appeasing a minority fanbase in Argentina with a third place medal in a bullshit competition is much more important than an NBA trophy for the city that pays for your livelihood. Since 2009, he's missed 100 games and multiple post-seasons and was payed $60 million in that timespan. Ginobili should thank god for all the Mexicans in SA - any other NBA fanbase would have crucified him for the way he's been fucking the team over the past few years.

That's actually the opposite from a competitive player. A competitive player wants to win everything they play, no matter the odds. They don't do it for "the fans", they do it to embrace the challenge.

Where has that competitive spirit been for SA the last two years? It's pretty obvious he's no longer motivated to play NBA ball but will be more than happy to collect a nice paycheck. Though I will admit this is more a mistake on the Spurs part than Manu's. He should have been traded in the 2011 off-season when he still had some value - the team would have been better off.

He wasn't even needed the past two years anyway. In some ways, it's refreshing to see the Spurs play basketball without being so reliant on the health of an injury prone international. Some would even argue SA would have another title right now if Manu had never suited up for any of the Finals games. Definitely explains why they've made more progress in the playoffs by giving Ginobili a reduced role.

TMTTRIO
08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah, appeasing a minority fanbase in Argentina with a third place medal in a bullshit competition is much more important than an NBA trophy for the city that pays for your livelihood. Since 2009, he's missed 100 games and multiple post-seasons and was payed $60 million in that timespan. Ginobili should thank god for all the Mexicans in SA - any other NBA fanbase would have crucified him for the way he's been fucking the team over the past few years.
Well Manu will live in Argentina for the rest of his life and live with those people where as playing for the Spurs is just a job for him. Do you think he really cares about what people in the NBA think about him.

Johnny RIngo
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Well Manu will live in Argentina for the rest of his life and live with those people where as playing for the Spurs is just a job for him. Do you think he really cares about what people in the NBA think about him.

In terms of relevance, he's no Messi. The majority of the Argy population don't even give a shit about basketball or know who the hell Manu is.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-12-2013, 03:28 PM
In terms of relevance, he's no Messi. The majority of the Argy population don't even give a shit about basketball or know who the hell Manu is.

You're so wrong. My friend is from Argentina. They love basketball.. and considering he is the only relevant (and great) players from there.. he is right about there with Messi (considering they have a fantastic soccer team). Quit talking out of your ass dumbass.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
:lol at the stupidity here. Off-season ball will ALWAYS affect a player's durability/endurance in the NBA. The freak athletes like Lebron or Kobe can get away with this but Ginobili's one of the most fragile players in NBA history - he should be resting at every opportunity. Instead, he'll heal up after every NBA season, play bullshit ball for Argentina, and proceed to start the NBA season tired and haggard.

Where has that competitive spirit been for SA the last two years? It's pretty obvious he's no longer motivated to play NBA ball but will be more than happy to collect a nice paycheck. Though I will admit this is more a mistake on the Spurs part than Manu's. He should have been traded in the 2011 off-season when he still had some value - the team would have been better off.

He wasn't even needed the past two years anyway. In some ways, it's refreshing to see the Spurs play basketball without being so reliant on the health of an injury prone international. Some would even argue SA would have another title right now if Manu had never suited up for any of the Finals games. Definitely explains why they've made more progress in the playoffs by giving Ginobili a reduced role.

LOL! He played a huge roll in the playoffs just last year. (kill yourself man)

ElNono
08-12-2013, 07:44 PM

:lmao doubling down in the absolute stupidity of assigning a *broken hand* to offseason play. Sure, doctor.

and lol @ "one of the most fragile players in NBA history"... He ranks #36 (http://bkref.com/tiny/aKMXN) from 2003-2013 in most game played amongst active players. Keep throwing grandiose words backed up by nothing though :jack

So you're saying your mad because Manu doesn't have the same priorities you do? :lol

Sorry, Manu likes playing for his NT, and so does Tony, Diaw, and a bunch of other players. The NBA feels they benefit from that, and so they don't allow teams to have a say on it. Perhaps you're displeased with guaranteed contracts. Well, that's a NBA/union issue. Ginobili has nothing to do with that.

lol @ "pretty obvious"... dude leaves everything out there for the team. He might make mistakes or not, that has nothing to do with playing hard, which he does. If the Spurs see it and you don't, then whose problem is it?

And I'll just defer to RC Bufford when it comes to analyzing what Manu brings to the team and how that's easy to replace or not... apparently the team strongly disagrees with you. I don't have the basketball acumen they do, but I'll be inclined to agree with them.

Skull-1
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Playing hard is not the same as playing smart. Manu should key on the latter. If he had, we would be champs.

ElNono
08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
He played well enough to be 28 secs away from a championship. He's played a lot better in the past and we've not been that close. It's a team effort, and ultimately, there's plenty of reasons why we're not champs. Some have to do with Gino, some do not.

Looking forward, he certainly can play better than he did last season. There's no reason he can't at least get his shooting back to his career average. He's going to be here for another two seasons, and he'll keep on having a leading role on the team, so let's hope he can contribute to another run.

Sean Cagney
08-12-2013, 11:22 PM

I came in here to say just this!!!!! Good post. Do not forget 02 as well! The world championships, the first team to beat USA in so damn long it's crazy! They got a medal as well! That Argie team was legit.
He played well enough to be 28 secs away from a championship. He's played a lot better in the past and we've not been that close. It's a team effort, and ultimately, there's plenty of reasons why we're not champs. Some have to do with Gino, some do not.

Looking forward, he certainly can play better than he did last season. There's no reason he can't at least get his shooting back to his career average. He's going to be here for another two seasons, and he'll keep on having a leading role on the team, so let's hope he can contribute to another run.
He had a key game 5 and that was his best game, otherwise as you said I hope he can do alot better than he did most of the finals next season. Like you said he has played great in the past and we did not come close. It is a team game, I just with we had Vintage MANU in these finals! If that were the case we got it in 5 games or at the MOST 6. There were several reasons we lost the finals down the stretch no doubt, he was just a glaring part of it in game 6 with that 8 TO's (Still should have won it though).

ElNono
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
He had a key game 5 and that was his best game, otherwise as you said I hope he can do alot better than he did most of the finals next season. Like you said he has played great in the past and we did not come close. It is a team game, I just with we had Vintage MANU in these finals! If that were the case we got it in 5 games or at the MOST 6. There were several reasons we lost the finals down the stretch no doubt, he was just a glaring part of it in game 6 with that 8 TO's (Still should have won it though).

Agreed. We all wish Manu had more game 5s and 7s, and less game 6s. As I said somewhere else (or maybe this thread?), this is the first time he didn't post better numbers in the postseason than in the regular season. And his regular season was fairly pedestrian for the kind of standards a quality player like Manu has. All that said, he was still the #2 assist man by a huge margin after Parker last season. He makes things a lot easier for offensively challenged players like Splitter. I think that's what RC was implying with his comment about Manu's value to the team. That's an area I didn't think that worked very well against Miami, but then again, credit Miami, there's a reason they were the #1 pick and roll defense in the league. And yet, we had game 6. A rebound, a miss, a free throw, and a lot of the current whining wouldn't be here now.

That's why I really can't take too seriously the chicken little analysis (FO clueless, coach sucks, Manu is done, etc). Nobody is happy we lost the Finals, there are no moral victories, mistakes were clearly made, etc, but the type of win or bust analysis that basically equates the Bobcats with the Spurs (neither won a championship last season) isn't serious. I get some Spursfan are pretty spoiled, winning every Finals we've played until last season, but it really isn't the norm with successful teams (you can look back at the Lakers, who lost two, Pistons lost one against us, even this Miami team lost to Dallas on their first dance). In a way, the reaction isn't wholly unexpected, but I think you have to put things in perspective, tbh.

Sean Cagney
08-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Agreed. We all wish Manu had more game 5s and 7s, and less game 6s. As I said somewhere else (or maybe this thread?), this is the first time he didn't post better numbers in the postseason than in the regular season. And his regular season was fairly pedestrian for the kind of standards a quality player like Manu has. All that said, he was still the #2 assist man by a huge margin after Parker last season. He makes things a lot easier for offensively challenged players like Splitter. I think that's what RC was implying with his comment about Manu's value to the team. That's an area I didn't think that worked very well against Miami, but then again, credit Miami, there's a reason they were the #1 pick and roll defense in the league. And yet, we had game 6. A rebound, a miss, a free throw, and a lot of the current whining wouldn't be here now.

That's why I really can't take too seriously the chicken little analysis (FO clueless, coach sucks, Manu is done, etc). Nobody is happy we lost the Finals, there are no moral victories, mistakes were clearly made, etc, but the type of win or bust analysis that basically equates the Bobcats with the Spurs (neither won a championship last season) isn't serious. I get some Spursfan are pretty spoiled, winning every Finals we've played until last season, but it really isn't the norm with successful teams (you can look back at the Lakers, who lost two, Pistons lost one against us, even this Miami team lost to Dallas on their first dance). In a way, the reaction isn't wholly unexpected, but I think you have to put things in perspective, tbh.

Man fuck Game 6 :( I still want to cry at times when thinking of that nightmare. good post though. My only wish he gets redemption this year and they win the title and everyone can die happy as a sports fan! I love Manu, I wanted him to go the hell off and we win the title! He had a nightmare series in the finals, , most do if they make it there enough.

ElNono
08-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Man fuck Game 6 :( I still want to cry at times when thinking of that nightmare. good post though. My only wish he gets redemption this year and they win the title and everyone can die happy as a sports fan! I love Manu, I wanted him to go the hell off and we win the title! He had a nightmare series in the finals, , most do if they make it there enough.

I've got to watch the Spurs win 4, meet some of the players, watch Jordan, Tim, Maradona, Argentina win the only two World cups they have... sports-wise, they can put me 6 feet under tomorrow with a smile, tbh...

Sean Cagney
08-13-2013, 12:43 AM
I've got to watch the Spurs win 4, meet some of the players, watch Jordan, Tim, Maradona, Argentina win the only two World cups they have... sports-wise, they can put me 6 feet under tomorrow with a smile, tbh...
Hey I agree with you 100%! IT IS A SHAME some can't think like us. We are not content but we look at the good and yeah there was some bad, but the good outweighs it. 4 titles! If you told me this in 95 after we lost the WCF to Houston I would say hell yeah and smile! BIGTIME! Open and shut case.

I also had my Gators in college win 3 NC in football! Two in a 3 year span! 07 and 09! We are spoiled as fans, face it some go 50 years without seeing their team win a damn thing! NONE! NOTHING. We saw alot of times on top and had the whole summer or so to brag about it and just enjoy it and soak it up, some fans will not see that day soon or only once or twice, us 4 times as Spurs fans. Face it if Elliotts shot doesn't fall in 99 we might not win it! If Horry's shot falls in 03 we are not even past LA! If Horrys shot doesn't fall in 05 we are toast in 6 games! Some don't see the positive too, only the negative. I understand this is the most recent but think of the past, you are correct.

I have seen my team win 5 titles in this house since 03, Spurs 3 and Gators two, if you told me that when I moved in I would have said are you kidding me? What a run. good post.

spurs10
08-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Anyone who seriously challenges Manu's devotion to the Spurs is not to be taken seriously themselves. If you think we make to the Finals without Manu, then chances are you weren't watching the playoffs very closely. It was damn close, down to a few seconds, a few mistakes, and a few bad calls. Manu is coming back for a couple years and I will enjoy every game he plays. The Spurs are the most winning team, in any team sport, in recent history. Enjoy it. :flag:

SpursRock20
08-13-2013, 01:17 AM
If we win next year we will most definitely need a better performance from Manu. I think he will be back to '11 Manu next year and much better than this past season. Manu really does care. He is passionate in the way he plays. Don't think for a moment that he believes he did not drop the ball in the Finals. He'll be back...

Spursfanfromafar
08-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Dirk Nowitzki.

And Manu isn't even the best Spanish speaking international. Pau Gasol has had a better NBA career than him - 2nd option on two title teams(with many thinking he deserved the 2010 Finals MVP). Much more durable throughout his first ten years in the league too. He's a TOSB now but so is Manu(I'd argue Ginobili is actually worse - at least Gasol can still play more than 20 mins a game)

Idiot, think beyond the NBA. When I said, "International" player, I meant, the player who has excelled in "international" competition.

Ginobili has the chops and the achievements to be the claimant for that "best in international play" award since the Dream Teams.

Diego20
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I have no problem with any Spur player deciding to play international ball while in their twenties. For Manu to keep doing it after the age of thirty is incredibly stupid especially with his injury history. And the facts say I'm right. What the hell has Argentina accomplished since 2004? Nothing.

Bronze medal Beijing 2008, FIBA AMERICAS gold medal 2011.

Boomersgold
08-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Anyone watching Patty and Baynes play for Australia tomorrow? There should be a stream of the game available.

Skull-1
08-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Anyone who seriously challenges Manu's devotion to the Spurs is not to be taken seriously themselves. If you think we make to the Finals without Manu, then chances are you weren't watching the playoffs very closely. It was damn close, down to a few seconds, a few mistakes, and a few bad calls. Manu is coming back for a couple years and I will enjoy every game he plays. The Spurs are the most winning team, in any team sport, in recent history. Enjoy it. :flag: You dolt. Take away one of Manu's bad decisions and we win. His devotion doesn't exceed his ego and that's why we lost. Idiot thinks he is still king sh*t and proceeds to give Miami EIGHT TURNOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH. Wake up you blind homers. Playing hard or playing with heart isn't equal to playing SMART.