PDA

View Full Version : Karl to Wolves?

SickDSM
09-08-2004, 12:36 PM
St. Paul Pioneer Press reported today that Flip and KG are flying to LA to meet with Malone. KFAN radio confirmed that Flip is flying out there today and said there "sources" say that a verbal agreement was reached but Malones' agent called and said he wanted more money. The LLE is all that's available but KFAN said they'd be able to add incentives that would count towards next years salary cap to raise it a small amount.

As much as Malone helps, no way in hell would i cheer for him. They did talk about this being a good fit because the minutes aren't going to be needed as much as they were in LA or even in Miami

bigzak25
09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
i like it. solidify spursfans hatred for the bastard....

as expected, karl is about the money right now....i don't blame him.

still figured he'd goto miami though....

WriterNum934
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Well, here's a different report:

The Timberwolves this week are making a serious effort to sign free-agent power forward Karl Malone.

The Wolves plan to have the NBA's most valuable player, Kevin Garnett, fly to Los Angeles with coach Flip Saunders to try to persuade the 6-foot-9, 259-pound future hall of famer and two-time MVP to sign with Minnesota.

The San Antonio Spurs are considered the Wolves' top competition for Malone, who's still seeking an NBA championship ring after 19 seasons.

SickDSM
09-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Wolves courting Malone

CHARLEY WALTERS

The Timberwolves this week are making a serious effort to sign free-agent power forward Karl Malone.

The Wolves plan to have the NBA's most valuable player, Kevin Garnett, fly to Los Angeles with coach Flip Saunders to try to persuade the 6-foot-9, 259-pound future hall of famer and two-time MVP to sign with Minnesota.

The San Antonio Spurs are considered the Wolves' top competition for Malone, who's still seeking an NBA championship ring after 19 seasons.

I had thought the Heat were the main interest.

WriterNum934
09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Malone has a better chance at that ring in SA than he does with the Wolves.

However, I hope he chooses someone else.

SickDSM
09-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Wolves courting Malone

CHARLEY WALTERS

I had thought the Heat were the main interest.

ChumpDumper
09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Any contending team would be stupid not to talk to Malone. Surprised it took them this long.

SickDSM
09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
They supposedly have been for a while but it might as well been Atlanta courting him, it was such a longshot. Now it seems as though there is interest.

Solid D
09-08-2004, 01:30 PM
LLE ? I assume that is generally referring to the Minimum Salary Exception ($1.1M) or the $1 Million Exception (actually $1.6M this year).

Karl would help them big-time.

ChumpDumper
09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
LLE ? I assume that is generally referring to the Minimum Salary Exception ($1.1M) or the $1 Million Exception (actually $1.6M this year).The latter.

Lower Level Exception.

DHONEY
09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
i think karl will stay w| the lakers:off

Solid D
09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I figured LLE meant Low or Lower Level Exception...Technically, there is no such animal as an LLE in the NBA CBA.

The Wolves would have lots of options. They could go big and slide KG to the 3 and really create some matchup problems. A good zone team or up-tempo fast team could beat that, however.

SickDSM
09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Flip would rather play small more often than big with that lineup. I could very well see a lineup of KG/Karl/Wally starting the frontcourt against a lot of teams.

SequSpur
09-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Garnett wants Malone because Garnett is to much of a wuss to play inside.

Solid D
09-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Garnett wants Malone because Garnett is to much of a wuss to play inside.

You are probably right, Sequ. "The Bark" is calling in "The Bite", for backup.

SequSpur
09-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey bro...

I aprettyshit it.....

:eyebrow

Kevin Kaster
09-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Hey, I'm all for it. If the Twolves get a healthy Karl, that guarantees the Spurs don't win the championship this year. Do it! :eyebrow

KoriEllis
09-09-2004, 04:56 PM
There is no truth to the rumor that Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders and league MVP Kevin Garnett are planning to fly to California to try to convince NBA veteran Karl Malone to sign with the Wolves. Garnett is headed to Europe on a vacation. And Saunders has a commitment to speak here today. "Malone doesn't even know if he wants to play anymore," said Kevin McHale, Wolves vice president of basketball operations and general manager. "If Malone decides he wants to play, we would love to try to work something out with him."

www.startribune.com/stori...71319.html (http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/4971319.html)