PDA

View Full Version : Simply genious

velik_m
08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, Then Sues

In Soviet Russia, it's the banks that pay customers' bills. Or, at least, one might.

An interesting case has surfaced in Voronezh, Russia, where a man is suing a bank for more than 24 million Russian rubles (about $727,000) in compensation over a handcrafted document that was signed and recognized by the bank.

A person who goes by name Dmitry Alexeev (his surname was changed by the first Russian outlet to publish this story) said that in 2008 he received a letter from Tinkoff Credit Systems in his mailbox. It was a credit card application form with an agreement contract enclosed, much like the applications Americans receive daily from various banks working with Visa (NYSE:V), Mastercard (NYSE:MA), American Express (NYSE:AXP), or Discover (NYSE:DFS). Alexeev filled in the form and returned the signed application, though what he sent back was not exactly the same document the bank had sent him.

Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/business-news/editors-pick/articles/A-Russian-Bank-Is-Sued-for/8/7/2013/id/51205#ixzz2bLrNg9Gp

EDIT: Great a typo in the thread title - ugh.

The Reckoning
08-08-2013, 02:10 AM
R:lolssia

RandomGuy
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
EDIT: Great a typo in the thread title - ugh.

In Russia, you fuck the banks....?

Where do I sign up?

Under UCC, merchants are assumed to be too competant to fall for stuff like this, and have the burden of proof. Not a legal expert on such contract law, but it might be interesting to see if one might get away with this here as well.

Blake
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
In Russia, you fuck the banks....?

Where do I sign up?

Under UCC, merchants are assumed to be too competant to fall for stuff like this, and have the burden of proof. Not a legal expert on such contract law, but it might be interesting to see if one might get away with this here as well.

I'll be very disappointed if he loses this case.

My guess is that he settles out of court for somewhere less than half that amount.