PDA

View Full Version : Parker's upscale nightclub closes

ace3g
08-09-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/Parker-s-upscale-nightclub-closes-4721515.php

Earlier that day, the bar had encouraged fans of its Facebook page to call for VIP reservations.

“The time has come, San Antonio: All good things must come to an end,” the most recent Facebook post reads. “Nueve Lounge officially closed our doors this past Saturday night and we want to thank everyone who came and supported us in this endeavor.

TXstbobcat
08-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I wonder how much money Parker lost on that investment.

Richard Simmons
08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
awww that's too bad

Robz4000
08-09-2013, 07:25 PM
He put it in a terrible place tbh. Put it in Stone Oak or maybe downtown and it would've done well/better than it did.

Libri
08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Should have put in the west side as a cantina. It would have had tons of business.

spurs10
08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Cop magnet I'm sure. Probably earned Bexar County much more money than Tony lost. The lawyers of San Antonio are in mourning! :toast

xmas1997
08-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Worst investment you can make is a bar, somebody should have told him.
On the other hand, if you have money to kill as I suppose TP does, then it can become a tax write off when it eventually fails.

spurs10
08-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Worst investment you can make is a bar, somebody should have told him.
On the other hand, if you have money to kill as I suppose TP does, then it can become a tax write off when it eventually fails. Bars can make money if you have the right kind of person running it. People who want to party and think this is a cool way to do it will fail. Someone with the right mind set and the right locale can make a fortune selling booze to people. This place was probably a bad idea by his brother(s) who haven't a clue about the business and ran through a fortune before Tony's accountants screamed bloody murder. Blood is thicker than wine, but money is the great slap in the face.

UZER
08-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Ran into some dude who said he helped run the place. Said they were pouring in 20k every month just to keep it running. Said he wishes it would have stayed as Changos instead of changing.

Kool Bob Love
08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
6-23

Skull-1
08-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Good. Now maybe he will spend more time on basketball and less on being a celebrity.

Sense
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Well wasn't it crazy expensive?

TheWriter
08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Terrible location.

Knoxxx
08-09-2013, 11:39 PM
He got impatient and didn't take better advice he was given about location parking etc.

TheyCallMePro
08-09-2013, 11:41 PM
The whole up-scale thing is horrible for bars. The general public doesn't want to pay more for already expensive drinks. And the bar had no TV's or anything the public could gravitate to. That's the reason most bars fail. They're simply not cool hang out places. TP's bar certainly wasn't.

The truth is for bars people want a hole in the wall with no restrictions, low costs, and easy access. That's all.

jARS mEsH sEt
08-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Not surprised. San Antonio is a terrible place to have an upscale anything. Should've opened one in one of the "big 3" (Dallas, Houston, Austin). Those 3 cities have some of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the U.S.

San Antonio has none. Hell, I don't think San Antonio is represented in the top 10000, let alone 100 (there are ~45000 total zip codes for reference).

Spur Bank
08-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I went there a couple times, and my wife a few times more than me. It's NOT a bad place at all -- I was actually surprised at how much I liked it. The drinks were slightly more expensive than your typical area, but not that much more. The decor was great. The atmosphere was good. The place was well-run. For what it was, they did an overall great job.

My take on the problem was a combination of size/location/demand. The upscale concept is fine -- IF there's enough demand, and actually, I think the demand exists. But the rub is the demand exists closer to town; put this exact concept in Stone Oak and it does much better, albeit at a higher rent cost. But even if they did that, because of the upscale nature and how much money went into making it look and run well, the square footage itself was too small to generate a profit. You need a lot of drinkers and people* to bring in the cash flow, and the place was too small to support that.

* the caveat -- what you really need is high rollers who spend a lot, and it may seem you don't need much space to support a few high rollers. But, the high rollers come where the crowds are, and what attracts the crowds? Attractive girls. And what attracts attractive girls? Crowds, where they can be seen. Hence, you need space to bring in the crowds and girls, which then brings in the big spenders.

I bet they thought Parker's name and connections would bring in those big spenders, making the smaller size less of an issue. I certainly would have thought the same.

davidbowie
08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Fuck this place. I got denied at the door cause I was already drunk. Joes volcano for life!!!!!!!

jag
08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
He put it in a terrible place tbh.

Yeah, San Antonio.

TheGoldStandard
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Never went and had no interest to do so.. Just didn't see the appeal.

Robz4000
08-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, San Antonio.

:lol

Baam
08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Not surprised TP shut it down quickly he doesn't seem to joke around with his money.

TheWriter
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Not surprised. San Antonio is a terrible place to have an upscale anything. Should've opened one in one of the "big 3" (Dallas, Houston, Austin). Those 3 cities have some of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the U.S.

San Antonio has none. Hell, I don't think San Antonio is represented in the top 10000, let alone 100 (there are ~45000 total zip codes for reference).

First off, there are plenty of upscale establishments thriving in San Antonio. So much so, that this closing will barely register on the SA social scene. Just a terrible location.

Second, what an odd indicator to use. Wealthiest zip codes? Ok, but then, you use it so incredibly inaccuratly and with such hyperbole that it loses purpose. What do I mean? I mean, you claim San Antonio doesn't have a top 1,000 zip code yet the wealthiest Dallas zip code has an average household income of $98k while the wealthiest San Antonio zip code has an average household income of $92k.

Hell, the wealthiest Texas zip code is in Houston at $200k, but that zip code has a population of less than 700 people.

I get that your overt bias is trying to paint a broad picture, but kid, when you do that with shitty claims thy are easily refuted, well, you look make yourself even more of a clown.

TheWriter
08-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, San Antonio.

You outta be careful switching screen names. You're liable to slip up.

jag
08-10-2013, 12:40 PM
You outta be careful switching screen names. You're liable to slip up.

Oh ok. I don't know what that means.

ElNono
08-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah, San Antonio.

:lol

Mugen
08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah, San Antonio.

Checkin' in from my summer hiatus and JaG with the goods per par tbh.

LittleCriminal
08-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Should of called that Tv Show Bar Rescue to help..

TheGoldStandard
08-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Should have let Matt run the show with his brother.

LittleCriminal
08-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Does this mean Parker is getting traded?
Supposed to be a blue color font... I know...I know..

jARS mEsH sEt
08-10-2013, 05:28 PM
First off, there are plenty of upscale establishments thriving in San Antonio. So much so, that this closing will barely register on the SA social scene. Just a terrible location.

Second, what an odd indicator to use. Wealthiest zip codes? Ok, but then, you use it so incredibly inaccuratly and with such hyperbole that it loses purpose. What do I mean? I mean, you claim San Antonio doesn't have a top 1,000 zip code yet the wealthiest Dallas zip code has an average household income of $98k while the wealthiest San Antonio zip code has an average household income of $92k.

Hell, the wealthiest Texas zip code is in Houston at $200k, but that zip code has a population of less than 700 people.

I get that your overt bias is trying to paint a broad picture, but kid, when you do that with shitty claims thy are easily refuted, well, you look make yourself even more of a clown.

Dallas, TX 75201: $372,255 (Population = 2364)
Houston, TX 77002: $264,207 (Population = 2319)
Fort Worth, TX 76102: $250,104 (Population = 2391)
Houston, TX 77019: $221,805 (Population = 7960)
Austin, TX 78730: $210,209 (Population = 1993)
Houston, TX 77024: $208,156 (Population = 17111)
Dallas, TX 75205: $203,006 (Population = 10982)
Dallas, TX 75225: $200,921 (Population = 11331)
Austin, TX 78746: $200,771 (Population = 12215)

Those are the top 9 wealthiest zip codes in Texas, and none of them have average incomes close to the $98k figure you cited. Sorry about your ignorance, but nothing you said is correct, except maybe the fact that the wealthiest San Antonio zip code has a pitiful average income of $92K. That only helps my argument.

TheWriter
08-10-2013, 06:28 PM
LMAO kid. You throw up random numbers corallating to jack shit, then ask me for a citation. Funny. :lol

Any how, here you go.

The actual data (http://localistica.com/usa/tx/zipcodes/highest-household-income-zipcodes/) proving you to be a moron.

I'd really love to get the citation for your numbers because I pretty sure they're not what you think they are.

jARS mEsH sEt
08-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Lmao kid. You throw up random numbers corallating to nothing then ask me for citation. Funny.

Any how, here you go.

The actual data (http://localistica.com/usa/tx/zipcodes/highest-household-income-zipcodes/) proving you to be a moron.

It's correlating* you fucking peasant.

I didn't ask you for a citation. I took your word for it. Learn to read.

http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_wealthiest_zip_codes-1000.html

Edit: And that's based on IRS data for areas with at least 1000 income tax returns.

TheWriter
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM
It's correlating* you fucking peasant.

I didn't ask you for a citation. I took your word for it. Learn to read.

http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_wealthiest_zip_codes-1000.html

Edit: And that's based on IRS data for areas with at least 1000 income tax returns.

I'm a peasant because of an auto correct?.

Well, I was using the word "kid" as a dismissive cheap shot but now I suspect you actually are a kid. Probably in high school.

By the way, did you happen to cross check any of those zip codes before using that site as a source? I'll go with no, you didn't.

Let's see. 77201. The first zip code in your list.

If you go here (http://www.usa.com/75201-tx.htm) and here (http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/75201/zip-code-75201.asp) and here (http://www.freedemographicsdata.com/texas/dallas/texas-dallas-75201.html). You'll see what the listed household income is.

Don't go hiding now.

SenorSpur
08-10-2013, 08:52 PM
They should've done a promotion with Matt Bonner wearing a sandwich board.

GrandeDavid
08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
The day I first learned he had opened that type of night club in San Antonio at that location, I thought "textbook professional athtlete making terrible investment." I'm surprised it bled out for over one year.

GrandeDavid
08-11-2013, 10:53 AM
If he owns the space he should be able to recoup a good portion of the losses by selling in the near to medium term future as commercial real estate will probably continue to appreciate in San Antonio.

admiralsnackbar
08-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm a peasant because of an auto correct?.

Looks like an auto-misspell function. Do they even make those?

EVAY
08-11-2013, 03:11 PM
This was a predictable money-loser, as others have noted. It was obvious at the start that Tony was trying to get his brothers into something that would keep them interested and maybe not lose too much money. But it did.

Most things that pro athletes turn to for making money lose like this. Lots of football players start restaurants that lose money. A few don't, but most do. Bars are worse than restaurants for making money. Especially start-ups. He probably needed to put it in a place like a hotel or somewhere downtown to make real money, but that would mean that Tony, his brothers and so many of the Spurs who live out near where the Club was located would have to travel a long way to get there. The location was as much about convenience for them as for making money.

Remember Bruce Bowen opening that spa for his wife? Lost money and closed. Remember the restaurant that Pop owned for a while? Lost money and closed.

I expect the same thing will happen with Timmy's car/truck body shop at some point too.

These things are like the "I'd like to do this..." things for people with enough money to lose on something. Once they actually lose the money it's not nearly as much fun as they thought it would be.

Brazil
08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
The day I first learned he had opened that type of night club in San Antonio at that location, I thought "textbook professional athtlete making terrible investment." I'm surprised it bled out for over one year.

IIRC he put money on his brother project. TP is no fool regarding his investments, he put an amount and told his brother run the stuff when it went south he just refused to refund. He pleased his family while limiting the money he put into.

TheWriter
08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I believe Bruce's spa closing had more to do with his divorce. You have to be smart with your investments. And even when you are, that's no gurantee for long term success or success at all. Coby Dietrik owned and may still own a relax the back store for a long time. I believe he also invented in La Tuna. David has his investment company.

As for Tim, I think that'll be successful simply because its not some side thing or just something he poured money into looking for a return. It's an actual love and passion for him.

tmtcsc
08-11-2013, 04:38 PM
As for Tim, I think that'll be successful simply because its not some side thing or just something he poured money into looking for a return. It's an actual love and passion for him.

Sadly, he can love it all he wants but unless there's a market for it, it wont succeed. If there is a market, then the product needs to be managed and marketed correctly.

When it comes to real estate, the most profitable flips are the ones that are nicely done but still affordable to the masses. Too many people get caught up with buying expensive homes and trying to flip them with high end finishes, etc.. Too much work and too little customer base. Keep it simple and affordable and you can move more units.

TheWriter
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Sadly, he can love it all he wants but unless there's a market for it, it wont succeed. If there is a market, then the product needs to be managed and marketed correctly.

Oh no, I agree and I believe there is a market for it esp in that area. What you quoted was said with the belief that there is a market demand for his car shop.

What I meant by it, is that even if there is a market for a restaurant, for example, if there isn't a love or passion for what you're doing, it will likely fail.

Rob123
08-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Lol there's definitely a huge market for Tim's shop out here it's not going anywhere

exstatic
08-12-2013, 06:58 AM
I believe Bruce's spa closing had more to do with his divorce. You have to be smart with your investments. And even when you are, that's no gurantee for long term success or success at all. Coby Dietrik owned and may still own a relax the back store for a long time. I believe he also invented in La Tuna. David has his investment company.

Yardley's spa closed well before their divorce, and had everything to do with employees stealing their customer list.

illusioNtEk
08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
bad marketing.... I never heard of this bar otherwise I would have went to it many times!

:\

TXstbobcat
08-12-2013, 10:50 AM
San Antonio just doesn't seem like the city for a fancy upscale nightclub.

TheWriter
08-12-2013, 02:27 PM

That's odd, because off the too of my head, Glo, Nectar, Grand Agave, Aquifer and Space are all doing well.

Johnny RIngo
08-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Lol there's definitely a huge market for Tim's shop out here it's not going anywhere

Depends on the prices. SA isn't a rich city but a car shop is still a more reliable investment than a overpriced bar or a vanity spa.

kemak
08-14-2013, 03:13 PM
"WHY YOU NO INVEST BETTER!?"
http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/70gGEbs2lPaOyMWzijyCcA/l.jpg

T Park
08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Depends on the prices. SA isn't a rich city but a car shop is still a more reliable investment than a overpriced bar or a vanity spa.

The wood house day spa and its multiple locations says what's up.

Kool Bob Love
08-15-2013, 11:15 AM
If only Parker shot better than 6-23 in game 6. TP could have brought 5 back to that club and make it rain on bitches for a week straight.

:depressed

philldafunk
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
That's odd, because off the too of my head, Glo, Nectar, Grand Agave, Aquifer and Space are all doing well.

I wouldn't consider any of those mentioned fancy or upscale.

TheWriter
08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't consider any of those mentioned fancy or upscale.

Fancy? You used the word fancy...

And they're as upscale or more than Nueve. The only one thats arguable is aquifer but its more about its size than anything else. As for Nueve. It's location is what do it in. That's the bottom line.

p.s. I apologize, it's nektar not nectar. Auto correct.

philldafunk
08-15-2013, 05:00 PM

jimbo
08-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Fancy? You used the word fancy...

And they're as upscale or more than Nueve. The only one thats arguable is aquifer but its more about its size than anything else. As for Nueve. It's location is what do it in. That's the bottom line.

p.s. I apologize, it's nektar not nectar. Auto correct.

What kind of burritos can you get there?