PDA

View Full Version : What are your ties to San Antonio? (i.e. NO BAND WAGONERS)

mute
08-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't want to say too much, but I work for a healthcare/insurance provider that is based in the region of San Antonio (i.e. the enrollees are all San Antonian residents).

Also, my younger brother (when he was in elementary school on a school field trip) met the Spurs players (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Richard Jefferson, and I think Roger Mason Jr?? was he on that team? I miss RGJ so much... :( only dude that had any balls, bailed us out late so many times). The Spurs players were visiting a museum (same place my bothers school was visiting).

spurraider21
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
what if i have no ties to the city of san antonio AND i'm not a bandwagoner?

George Gervin's Afro
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
How about remembering when Moses Malone stepped on the half court line when the Spurs were playing the Rockets in the best of 3 playoffs? Or know who Capt late is? Mike Mitchell?

What about the Bruise brothers?

George Gervin's Afro
08-12-2013, 03:55 PM
or worse.. Alfredrick 'the great' hughes.. :(

SsKSpurs21
08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Grew up in San Antonio

Colonial Hills Elementary school
Jackson Middle School (6-7 grade)
Garner Middle School (8th grade)
MacArthur High School
St. Mary's University 2000-2005

CitizenDwayne
08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm a fan of the Spurs.

mute
08-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Grew up in San Antonio

MacArthur High School

respect

noles1983
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Born here, went to high school here, live here.

kemak
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Born n raised but I don't think it would matter where I was born. I would love the Spurs for who they are and what they stand for anywhere.

spurs1990
08-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Weird thing about the Spurs is it's hard to qualify who's a 'bandwagoner' since they've been very good for a couple decades now.

Once the decline sets in guess we'll see who sticks around.

mute
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Weird thing about the Spurs is it's hard to qualify who's a 'bandwagoner' since they've been very good for a couple decades now.

Once the decline sets in guess we'll see who sticks around.

i stuck around when we got slapped in the face by the SUNS.... THE SUNS... ARE U KIDDING ME, ousted by memphis, steamrolled by okc, and the of course the miami series, which i will never get over 100%. HOW CAN U GET OVER up by 5 with 28 seconds left... im jumping up and down screaming and yelling

TheGoldStandard
08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Born in San Antonio, Live here and love it. Loved them back as a kid when Robinson was in his prime.

Vash StampedE
08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm a fan of the Spurs.

Frank Dux
08-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Grew up in San Antonio

MacArthur High School

Jackson Jaguars 4 life.

Coach Workman lives!

hsxvvd
08-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Born and raised only 8,800 miles away.

xmas1997
08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Coach Doug Moe with Ice, Kenon, and Olberding against Washington Bullets Coach Dick Motta with Hayes and Dandridge, geeez, what an agonizing series defeat for the Spurs that was. Up 3 games to 1, we almost had it, but they came back and took it away, and not even the baseline bums (who were truly baseline in those days) could help. Worst defeat in Spurs history because all they had to do was win just one game, ONE GAME, and couldn't do it.
IMHO most heart breaking of all and way surpasses this last series!
But those early rowdy noisey Hemisfair Arena ABA and NBA days were the best!
Mount Sacred Heart School
Antonian High School class of '68
College of Santa Fe And University of Incarnate Word

peacemaker885
08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm a fan of the Spurs.

TrueSpursFan
08-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Born and raised in SA. If I were to ever move, I'd be a Spurs fan till I die!

elmanutres
08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
wilson elementary
whittier middle school
Jefferson high school class of '12
Utsa 2012 - present

became a spurs fan 1999. I was only a kid back then, i didin't realize the significance at the time. but looking back, it was a big deal watching the spurs on the riverwalk and i was apart of it. That's when i first truly realized the significance of the spurs

Vic Petro
08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Never lived a day in San Antonio. Been a fan ever since 89 (I was 9) when I saw David Robinson run up and down the court for the first time.

JR3
08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
grew up in san antonio. left sophomore year in high school. Been a Spurs fan since 1992.

TrainOfThought5
08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
........ what does it matter?

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
born and raised in New Braunfels, bout 15 to 20 minutes away from S.A. so of course im Reppin the Spurs, I also drive everyday from NB to Sa for my job. My Pops was a big Spurs Fan before I was born during the Admiral days so I was born a Spurs fan, and Ill be one no matter what, through thick and thin.

falconqb1234
08-12-2013, 06:05 PM
born in Austin but I moved directly to SA and lived there until I was 4. my dad took me to games at the Alamodome starting when I was 10 months old, and the first game I can really remember is the 1996 All-Star game. best memory is asking my mom why the coyote has no pants. been going to games every year since.

barakz21
08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm a fan of the Spurs.

TBH, the only bandwagon I'll ever need and ever be on.

cjw
08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Born in Texas but transplanted to the northeast shortly thereafter. Had no team in elementary school in 1994, and couldn't stand all my friends who were Knicks fans. A family friend bought me a Dennis Rodman t-shirt (no idea why) and then I started playing as the Worm and the Admiral on NBA Jam TE. There was no looking back. And how sweet it was to beat the Knicks in my first year of high school.

CubanMustGo
08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Highland Hills Elem / Rogers Middle / Highlands High / Trinity ... before many of you were born. Distinctly remember the '79 debacle against the Washington BULLETS in the EC Final which was the closest the Spurs got to a championship before the glory years.

Swen Nater FTW tbh.

DieMrBond
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Absolutely none whatsoever being from Australia, which hasn't stopped me from being a fan since about '92 when I was 11 and just discovering the NBA. If at my age then I was going to be a bandwagoner, it sure as hell would've been as a Bulls fan.

Oh wait, I just thought of one - I have a great great aunt who was/is a nun in San Antonio, who I have never met.

SenorSpur
08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Born and raised in San Antonio. Been a fan since Day 1, 1973, when they came to S.A. as a fledgling ABA team (Dallas Chapperals). Over the next couple of years, I used to ride the bus to the games as a kid. That was my first live pro basketball experience. I had a Spurs banner and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet players like George Gervin, James Silas, Rich Jones, Bird Averitt, Swen Nater & Mark Olberding - all of which signed my banner. For me, that's when my Spurs fandom was born and despite moving away, as an adult years later in the late '80's, it just never died. And I never expected it to either. This marriage is forever.

Spursone
08-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Born in Cuba in 1961, and eventually made it to SA in 1970. Spurs fan since they came to be. Remember games at the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum, watching the Iceman and his finger roll, Larry Kenon and his double pump dunks, and George Karl shooting bricks and almost breaking the backboard. Those were the days.

Sunset Hills Elementary
Pat Neff Junior High
Hobby Middle School
John Marshall Highschool
SAC
UTSA
SWTSU (now they call it Texas State University)

Spur|n|Austin
08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Moved to San Antonio from Austin for about 3 years when I was a kid. My Dad was a huge Spurs fan and took me to my first game at Hemisphere Arena a year before the Spurs last season there. I've been die hard hooked ever since.

Big P
08-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Born and raised in San Antonio...dad took me to my first game in 77 or 78..cant remember, I'll have to see if he can remember....Hemisfair Arena and the rocking bleachers with obstructed views, those were good times...the Blues Bros was another great era in Spurs history I can recall.

mute
08-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Dang... some of you guys go way back to the 70s and 80s...

Duncan-parker-ginobili-pop is ALL i know really.. honestly, that's ALL I know. it's gonna be really weird and sad when they're all gone in a few years. a lot of great memories for sure. I wonder what it must be like for fans of the 70s and 80s nowadays where today's Spurs team literally has NO TIES to any of the players of the past.

I guess if its any consolation, this Spurs won't be FULLY generation-ally removed (aka no players are connected to Duncan, Parker, Ginobili), i.e. kwahi and green (would have played with the big_3, so you could always associate them with the big 3), and then when kwahi and green retire, the new young bloods will have ties to kwahi and green (who we assiocate with the big three)

MolaMola790
08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm from New York and still live here, been a spurs fan since the early 90's because David Robinson was my favorite player and I just stuck with the team

Captivus
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Manu fan...
Went to Austin last week for the first time (I live in Argentina), and did same amazing freak-spoting!!

Budkin
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Lived in Orlando and became a Magic fan in their inaugural season, 89-90. This was DRob's rookie year and I watched them play the Spurs. Instantly loved his personality and his game. Over that season and the next I watched more and more Spurs games since they were on national TV a lot then. In 1991 I bought Robinson Force shoes. Then a couple years later I came to Austin to visit my older sister and she took me to a game at Hemisfair. From that point on I went from being solely a Robinson fan to a full on Spurs fan. After college in 1998 I moved to Austin and have followed them religiously since.

McGusto55
08-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Born and raised...Jeff.h.s

RD2191
08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Took a dump at a Valero there once.

timtonymanu
08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Took a dump at a Valero there once.

:lol

2centsworth
08-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Moved here at 10.

Olmos
Nimitz
Lee '89
SWT

timtonymanu
08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty much a bandwagoner since I hopped onto the Spurs bandwagon during the 2005 season, though I somewhat followed them after their 99 run. I've stuck with them till this day though and will continue to for a while.

I've never been to San Antonio.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Highland Hills Elem / Rogers Middle / Highlands High / Trinity ... before many of you were born. Distinctly remember the '79 debacle against the Washington BULLETS in the EC Final which was the closest the Spurs got to a championship before the glory years.

Swen Nater FTW tbh.

hey man! i went to highland hills elementary. as a kindergarten student i proposed to my teacher... mrs. wildenstein.

celldweller
08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
A couple years with both the USAF SPS & the SAPD.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-12-2013, 09:19 PM
born and raised. highland hills elementary kinder-5. trinity christian academy 6-12. graduated 03. started collecting basketball cards and watching the spurs in the rodman era. i dont know what to think of jesus anymore. but ill always love the spurs.

CoachTracy00
08-12-2013, 09:30 PM
My High School Principal was friends with Pop and had ties to Maine. He gave us the opportunity to go to a camp the Spurs were at in Colorado and also brought Sean ****** to Maine. I've been a Huge D-Rob fan since he came into the League as a humble, hard working, Christian athlete. Once I got to know that team I was a fan for life.

Blackjack
08-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Born and raised in San Antonio.

Anyone who's a Spurs' fan who wasn't . . .

Takes balls - and I support 'em.

MaNu4Tres
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Born in Corpus

Moved to SA when I was 2

Stahl Elementary

Driscoll Middle School

Madison High School

University of Houston

Still mainly reside in Houston.

8FOR!3
08-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Born and raised since 91. Moved to SC in high school, but I've always been a huge Spurs fan.

Vic Petro
08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm from New York and still live here, been a spurs fan since the early 90's because David Robinson was my favorite player and I just stuck with the team

Pretty much the same except Jersey...became a fan when I was 9 years old after seeing David play a game his rookie year.

Sean Cagney
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
I live in VA, been a Spurs fan since I saw D ROB and Elliott there and never looked back. I have been a fan since around 93 when Utah used to out us in the playoffs regularly and the year or so after when Hakeem beat up our team in the WCF in 95, broke my heart as a young fan.
i stuck around when we got slapped in the face by the SUNS.... THE SUNS... ARE U KIDDING ME, ousted by memphis, steamrolled by okc, and the of course the miami series, which i will never get over 100%. HOW CAN U GET OVER up by 5 with 28 seconds left... im jumping up and down screaming and yelling

Yeah thats recent stuff, alot of bad losses and heartbreaks before that as well :( When did you become a fan of the Spurs?

Oh yeah, D ROB is from out in VA too (Osbourne Park high school)! He is not from SA so I can be a fan as well :lol:lol He is from my hometown of Woodbridge.

After his father retired from the Navy, the family settled in Woodbridge, Virginia, where Robinson excelled in school and in most sports, except basketball. He was 5 feet, 9 inches tall in junior high school so he tried his hand at basketball, but soon quit. Robinson attended Osbourn Park High School in Manassas, Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C., where Robinson's father was working as an engineer after retiring from the Navy.

That is why I am a fan and here today.

Biggems
08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Born and raised in San Antonio.....born during the ABA years and I have been a fan my whole life. It isn't even close, the Spurs and the Cowboys have been my two favorite teams since birth. As a child I became a fan of the Judson Rockets, Texas Longhorns (Roger Clemens in baseball, Eric Metcalf is still my favorite Longhorn football player of all time), Houston Astros (I miss the Astrodome, Biggio, and Bagwell), and the Pittsburgh Penguins. I was also a SA Gunslingers fan, as well as SA Riders, Texans. As a kid, I was a big SA Dodgers fan, but I am not a big Missions fan (though, if we could get a MLB team and call them the Missions, I would be a huge fan). I actually root for the CC Hooks, since they belong to the Astros. I am also a fan of the Silver Stars.

Park Village Elementary
Woodridge Elementary
Kirby Elementary
Kirby Middle School
Judson High School
SAC
TAMU-CC

cd021
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Spurs fan from Virginia. 1st team i can remember watching on tv was the Spurs ,for some reason, and remember watching Tim and David play. When I got into the NBA a few years later I starting cheering for the Spurs. The 1st season I became a fan, we wound up winning in '05. Been die hard going on 9 seasons now and watch about 40 games a season

TimmehC
08-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Born and raised. Now living in the steaming cesspool of Laker fanboys that is LA.

cd021
08-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I live in VA, been a Spurs fan since I saw D ROB and Elliott there and never looked back. I have been a fan since around 93 when Utah used to out us in the playoffs regularly and the year or so after when Hakeem beat up our team in the WCF in 95, broke my heart as a young fan.

What are the odds we're both Spurs fans living VA? Crazy...

Sean Cagney
08-12-2013, 10:41 PM
What are the odds we're both Spurs fans living VA? Crazy...

I am from D ROBs hometown here so I heard alot about him in the area and immediately became a fan of his and the Spurs! He came to Woodbridge from FLA and settled here and went to High School near here. I took that and ran with it as a fan and never looked back! Been on board since 92-93. Not many fans here in VA of the Spurs, definitely not bandwaggoners (Mostly LA fans, bandwaggoners).

ElNono
08-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Wife is from San Anton... although I was a fan before getting married.

BoricuaCJA
08-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Never lived in San Antonio. Spurs were the first team I watched in 96 in the NBA when my best friend was a Rockets fan. I picked the Spurs and became an avid(checking stats, watching every game, reruns including) Spurs fan since 97. I've been to 73 Spurs games(lived in Tampa, FL and now in Dallas), half being at Spurs home. I've always been a fan of defensive players/teams.

azarel
08-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Born in San Antonio, Live here and love it. Loved them back as a kid when Robinson was in his prime.

gosh same here. Started rooting them cos of the admiral. Back then Singapore hardly showed nba games on the TV so the only news i could get about the spurs were the sports scores and basketball trading cards. still have my collection of david robinson cards. finally visited San Antonio earlier this year during the nba finals game 5. that's my first nba game ever and my first visit to USA ha.

azarel
08-13-2013, 01:21 AM

i remembered that season too. The admiral was the MVP of the regular season and honestly its more painful than game 6 against the heat... hakeem and the rockets were always that WALL which were in the admiral's path to the finals.... don't hate hakeem but i can't say he didn't give me nightmares hahah.

HI-FI
08-13-2013, 01:39 AM
lot of interesting responses from above, it's always interesting to see why a place or team resonates with people.

I'm pretty much a bandwagoner since I hopped onto the Spurs bandwagon during the 2005 season, though I somewhat followed them after their 99 run. I've stuck with them till this day though and will continue to for a while.

I've never been to San Antonio.
nothing wrong with this. there are lots of reasons for following a team, from location, culture of team, favorite player etc....

Wife is from San Anton... although I was a fan before getting married.

this is probably a good thing, she will be more understanding of your Manu :downspin:.
"8 turnovers....no problem, you're cleared for landing." :lol

also interesting to see Va fans like Cagney and cd021. of all the places I've lived growing up, Va was the one I have fondest memories. when they were talking about Va Beach getting a team, I would've rooted for them along with Spurs and whenever Warriors go back to San Fran.

my personal connection to SA was grandparents lived there, i lived there as a kid, brother is from there, shit i've lost 3 of my close family members in SA....so long and strange history with SA. i live near Austin now. lots of things I love about Texas, lots of things I hate. those types of relationships can last a long time.

ElNono
08-13-2013, 01:55 AM
this is probably a good thing, she will be more understanding of your Manu :downspin:.
"8 turnovers....no problem, you're cleared for landing." :lol

tbh, whenever we meet up with Manu, she gets that deer-in-the-headlights look, and won't say a word. Which is absurd, since we chatted up the guy like 10 times already. But once we're done talking she's happy as hell. :lol

timtonymanu
08-13-2013, 02:05 AM
nothing wrong with this. there are lots of reasons for following a team, from location, culture of team, favorite player etc....

Yeah, I first started out as a Tim Duncan fan. I just liked the way he handled himself and the little amount of media attention around him. I'm originally from an island so we don't have any sports teams locally that we can root for so everyone back home roots for different teams. I'm probably one of the few of my friends that has stuck with a team this long. My fandom of the Spurs has increased every season since I've started watching them to the point now where I think I need to relax on how much I follow them. :lol

Fireball
08-13-2013, 03:52 AM

HI-FI
08-13-2013, 04:27 AM

tbh, whenever we meet up with Manu, she gets that deer-in-the-headlights look, and won't say a word. Which is absurd, since we chatted up the guy like 10 times already. But once we're done talking she's happy as hell. :lol
that's pretty cool. i don't blame her, i'd probably have a brainfart too if I saw Manu. even all the shit I talk after the Finals, if I were to bump into him I'd probably just say Congrats on making the Finals, if at all. when I met Bruce Campbell years ago, he made some small talk and I didn't even reply to his question:lol.

ata
08-13-2013, 04:49 AM
Always followed NBA, never a fan of a particular franshise...
Then, in 2003, SA signed Rasho... year later I found this board - Rasho left, I stayed

sandman
08-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Pretty much grew up at the corner of Military and Marbach back in 80's. Worked for the Spurs in the locker rooms in my sophomore and junior years for Trainer John Anderson (84-85 and 85-86). Was there when Ice was traded. When Johnny Moore got sick. Volunteered for Gene Banks' Fiesta League basketball program on the East Side. Worked a few charity golf tournaments put on by the team or players. Got the chance to shake hands with arguably the greatest group of active players at one time (Kareen, Magic, Bird, McHale, Dr. J, Jordan, etc). Wore Kaepa gear for our uniform! LOL!

Came back to SA after college and stayed until '99 when the job took us to Houston. Spent years enduring Rocket Fan while my Spurs won four titles. Was in Detroit for work the night of Game 6 in 2005 and was scared to venture outside after that Piston loss. Flew back to Houston during game 7, catching the last 2 minutes of the game in the terminal when we landed, celebrating in front of Rocket Fan. Just moved to London where I have pissed off the locals for swearing my allegiance to the Tottenham Spurs (I live in the village where Chelsea has their training grounds and where many of the players live).

GeorgiaSpursFan
08-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Born in SA
Colonial Hills Elementary
Northern Hills Elementary
Oak Grove Elementary
Boone Elementary
I Think Thousand Oaks Elementary might have been in there somewhere. We moved around alot in the 80s.
Wood Middle School
Madison High School
1 Year at UTSA
Worked 3 and a half years at HEB SA33 on O'Connor Rd
The only Spurs game I saw in person was in 95. We were going for 16 wins in a row and lost. A friend from church took me with him. We went to a pre-game buffet under the court and shook hands with a few of the players (including big Dave) and then sat 2 rows behind the home bench and listened to Rodman cuss and crawl around the floor every time he went to the bench. - Good times!

Moved to Georgia when Kelly Air Field was BRAC'd
Have gone to the Spurs/Hawks game every other year since we moved here(the schedules have just worked out that way)

Humberto
08-13-2013, 09:26 AM
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/15/74/04/3653907/3/628x471.jpg

Spurs fan since 1988.

Hidden Forest Elementary
Eisenhower Middle School
Antonian High School

snickles
08-13-2013, 09:42 AM
i was born in san antonio. we moved to kansas when i was 4 or 5, but i always remembered my uncles being huge spurs fans, and i specifically remember their george gervin poster. a few years later we moved down to corpus. i had never been into pro sports at the time, but i really liked playing basketball. one friday night (can't believe i remember the details, pretty sure it was 1991), i was at home channel surfing, and fox was showing a spurs game. and i was amazed at what david robinson could do. it was just crazy for a man of his size be so athletic. it was a close game, but they ended up winning.

so i was hooked from that night on.

illusioNtEk
08-13-2013, 10:00 AM
born and raised in SATX, remembering Rod Strickland, David Robinson, Willy Anderson balling on niggas, terry cummings!

z0sa
08-13-2013, 10:17 AM
SA born, raised and living

taps
08-13-2013, 10:46 AM
For 3 years between 1991 & 1998 I lived in San Antonio. Otherwise, I figure I'm a Laredoan so I shouldn't have to explain why I'm a Spur fan.

Leetonidas
08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
I lived here since I was 5

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Old School 44
08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
My father retired in San Antonio at Fort Sam in 1969. He was later employeed as a personal home chef for Joe Straus Sr., one of the original investors of the Spurs. (his grandson, Joe III is speaker of the Texas Houses of Reps).

Mr. Straus and his wife were elderly, and although of course they had season tickets, rarely attended games.
Lots of times they would give their tickets to my dad. These were box seats at the Hemisfair Arena. They weren't luxurious by today's box seat standards, but they were at mid court about 10 rows up. Red McCombs sat in the row in front of us. It was great meeting all the players, back in the day, especially my all-time favorite player, the Iceman.

I have a lot of other fun connections to the Spurs, but this is the one that made me a life long fan.

Maddog
08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
How about remembering when Moses Malone stepped on the half court line when the Spurs were playing the Rockets in the best of 3 playoffs? Or know who Capt late is? Mike Mitchell?

What about the Bruise brothers?

How about Goo?

Biernutz
08-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Born in San Antonio
Went to school here
After military service to live here.....
First Spurs tickets at old Hemisphere Arena, lower level, way far in the back under
the upper deck, next to a concrete pillar......
So far in the back, I could not see the jumbo tron because my seats were too
far under the upper deck.
Tickets at the dome....
Tickets at the ATT....
I have been to every Spurs finals game in San Antonio.....

DapDaGenius
08-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Grew up in San Antonio

MacArthur High School

Didn't rapper Bun B go to MacArthur?

Richard Simmons
08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't want to say too much, but I work for a healthcare/insurance provider that is based in the region of San Antonio (i.e. the enrollees are all San Antonian residents).

Also, my younger brother (when he was in elementary school on a school field trip) met the Spurs players (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Richard Jefferson, and I think Roger Mason Jr?? was he on that team? I miss RGJ so much... :( only dude that had any balls, bailed us out late so many times). The Spurs players were visiting a museum (same place my bothers school was visiting).

My ties? 2011 :stirpot:

ffadicted
08-13-2013, 05:05 PM
And you need to have ties to San Antonio to be a spurs fan? I don't even live in the US, does that make me a band wagoner? This thread confuses me

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-13-2013, 06:34 PM
wilson elementary
whittier middle school
Jefferson high school class of '12
Utsa 2012 - present

became a spurs fan 1999. I was only a kid back then, i didin't realize the significance at the time. but looking back, it was a big deal watching the spurs on the riverwalk and i was apart of it. That's when i first truly realized the significance of the spurs

I graduated from Jefferson too, in 08. My younger brother graduated in '12, maybe you knew him, his name is Timmy/Tim Martinez.

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Baskin Elementary
Longfellow Middle School
Thomas Jefferson High School '08
San Antonio College

I became a fan in 2009, I didn't even like basketball, or sports at all for that matter.
But my older brother took me to a game, against the Mavericks, and I was hooked.

mudyez
08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
No real ties. German TV just telecasted a lot of Spurs games while Rodman was on the team (probably because they could talk a lot about him and his hair). Never liked Rodman but loved David, Sean and others immediately. Also liked the Taco Cabana colors (as stupid as it sounds now) at the time.

So it was kind of random, but now its about 20years and I grew into a die hard pretty fast.
I probably played with no other team in NBA Live the whole '90s. I still remember standing on the streetball court after learning that David Robinson is out...then joking to a friend that we will get this Tim Duncan guy and win a Ship ^^ (also remember seeing the draft lottery results right before going to school). Feeling like the only Spurs fan in the whole country makes you soo proud and drives you further and further. Loved watching game 7 in '05 in a sports bar with about 30 other people...none rooting for the Spurs but me...then the Manu dunk Boom!!! Love standing up for them if someone calles them boring. Loved sporting my Robinson jersey and Spurs hat in the 90s and love wearing a Spurs Manu shirt (from the At&T center) or #20 long sleeve at every warmup to make a statement. Love making my girlfriend a Spurs fan over the last 2 years. Just love them!

You may say: "Yeah, but they never really sucked (hence for 96/97) thus making it pretty easy to pick them in the Robinson era and riding it out until now.". But for a kid it would have been pretty easy to jump to a team like the Bulls or Rockets without thinking twice (a lot of friends just did that...and probably became Lakers and Heat fans later)...Spurs felt like home from the beginning and I'll always stay a die hard even if they never recover after the Duncan-era.

Thank you Dennis!
Thank you Dennis' hair!

eds
08-13-2013, 06:57 PM
born and raised halfway around the globe, spurs fan.

spursfan1000
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Born and raised

herff elementary
poe middle sschool
brackenridge high scschool
currently at SAC

RudyRay
08-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Born in Chicago but raised in San Antonio. Been a fan since 1986-87. Was a fan of Bulls and Spurs but always preferred Spurs. Stopped liking Bulls and Jordan after his HOF speech.

tesseractive
08-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Moved to San Antonio summer of '87, and I'd never lived in an NBA city before. I was born in Dallas pre-Mavs, and spent most of my time growing up in Minneapolis, leaving pre-Timberwolves.

I've since moved various places, but once I adopt a team it doesn't change. (Well, except that I've put my Cowboys fandom on hold until Jerry retires as the GM.)

08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I've never lived in San Antonio. but have an uncle who lives in this area who got me hooked on the Spurs during the Iceman, Billy Paultz and Larry Kenon era.

Those were fun Spurs teams to watch before Robinson and the championship teams.

I'll never forget how disappointed I was when the 1978 team lost to the Bullets in the eastern conference semifinals.

elmanutres
08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I graduated from Jefferson too, in 08. My younger brother graduated in '12, maybe you knew him, his name is Timmy/Tim Martinez.

i know who he was but he was never talked to him or anything.

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
i know who he was but he was never talked to him or anything.

Cool, cool. Jefferson is such a shitty school aint it? Haha.

08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll also add that league pass is a must for me now that I get to see every Spurs game in addition to the national TV appearances.

spurspokesman
08-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Just a bandwagon fan. U got me buddy smh

elmanutres
08-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Cool, cool. Jefferson is such a shitty school aint it? Haha.
well once cockrell came in it became much more strict. it was shitty but entertaining before she came in midway in my sophomore year but at the same time there were alot of bad kids and thugs before she came in. she turned that school around. but i heard there's a new principle there now so i guess it will revert back to it's shitty ways.

TE
08-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Never lived in San Antone but I've frequented the city many times during my childhood. Still a regular as I have family there.

falconqb1234
08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
I'll also add that league pass is a must for me now that I get to see every Spurs game in addition to the national TV appearances.

same here I watch all games from mid-missouri at mizzou now. best thing ever invented for out of town die hards

TE
08-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Speaking of making trips up there, I might be making a trip to SA in >2 weeks. Hit me up via pm if yall want to ball or something...

phxspurfan
08-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Clark HS

West Telemarketing selling all kinds of crap to you and your family at night from 2000-2004

phxspurfan
08-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Oh and I practically was born and raised in the Las Palapas at 281/1604

Chinook
08-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Austinite who goes down to San Antonio a few times a year. I've been a fan since the '99 run. But I was only nine at the time, and it was more that I discovered the NBA through the Spurs broadcasts than it was me making a choice to front-run.

DesignatedT
08-14-2013, 01:20 AM
a lot of winning in this thread. Props to the coach Workman shout out.

Me:
Oak Meadow Elementary
Jackson Middle School
Churchill High School
Texas A&M University
Work in San Antonio

Skull-1
08-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Hell, I don't know. Grew up in the Rio Grande Valley when all we had was Dallas Cowboys football and seriously crappy minor league baseball. San Antonio was the closest big city. We always loved the Spurs.

Spent my summers as a kid in the Hill Country at summer camp. Sean Elliott came to visit as a rookie. Was a super nice guy and gave me his autograph even though I had no idea who he was other than a Spur.

I still have that napkin.....it isn't even white any more....faded yellow....but there he is....

Finally went to college.... Worked my summers in the same area. Read the San Antonio Express News about David Robinson...... Suffered through bad teams....

I even remember liking a guy called Brickowski........... Some white dude that played kinda' hard.....

Any way.....

Flight instructed in SA.... Came and went many times. Even remember when Timmeh was going to leave to go to Orlando or some such........and at the time was like, "Who cares? Let the idiot leave! Can't even wear real shoes to a press conference. What a jerkoff!"

Well..... I was wrong.

Was there for the last three rings.

Watched the Finals in SA at the SBC Center with my wife..........................

Parades on the River Walk...............

My kids are on the DVD from the 2007 Championship right before the credits.....

Also flew Tracy McGrady and Greg Popovich on charter flights.............................

My wife met Robert Horry at a club she worked at. She said, "You're really tall. Do you play basketball?" He said, "Something like that." We had been to several games. You can't spot Robert Horry???? SERIOUSLY?

WOOT.

Whatever. I am a GNSF who hates Manu. Rolling my eyes.

chapnis
08-14-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm a kiwi so Sean Marks

benefactor
08-14-2013, 06:10 AM
:lol bandwagon/t-shirt fan arguments because you don't live close. Dumbest takes in sports history tbh.

Austinite who goes down to San Antonio a few times a year. I've been a fan since the '99 run. But I was only nine at the time, and it was more that I discovered the NBA through the Spurs broadcasts than it was me making a choice to front-run.
Man...didn't realize you were that young. Guess your posting style suggested to me that you were older.

tmtcsc
08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I've been a Spurs fan since I was a kid in 1981. The Spurs are like family now. I can talk shit about them when they deserve it but get I defensive when non-fans do.

Obstructed_View
08-14-2013, 07:29 AM
I guess I'm a bandwaggoner because I knew nothing about the Spurs before they took Portland to seven games in 1990. I kind of rooted for them at that point and I happened to move to San Antonio about a year later. My name comes from the first NBA game I went to against the Rockets at Hemisfair. I won them off a radio station.

Spurs9
08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Raised here since I was 4, went to Thousand Oaks elem, Bradley Middle, Mac high school. Have a good paying job here, and its cheap to live. I'd like to move near a beach soon though, maybe Florida.

pgardn
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Watched ABA games as a kid listened to them on the radio as well.
Suffered through the biggest choke in Spurs playoff history, up 3-1 to the Bullets for a chance at the finals.

People who think Pop is bad never experienced the Shark or Cottonball.

Our fan base is spoiled imo after the 99 ship.

xmas1997
08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Suffered through the biggest choke in Spurs playoff history, up 3-1 to the Bullets for a chance at the finals.

I totally agree with you!
Fans who continue to cry, whine, and bitch about this last series have no earthly idea about heart breaks with the Spurs if they never experienced the Bullets series! Now that was truly heart breaking and makes this last one pale in significance. I just have to laugh when I think about it.
And I am thankful the Spurs even had a chance in this last one when they were not even supposed to be there by all accounts before hand.

EVAY
08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Moved here for work in 1992. Started getting season tickets when they were still at the Alamadome. Continued at the AT&T Center until 2008. Still watch every single game on tv. No misses. Only been living here part time since 1999, but still catch all the games wherever I am. First game I ever saw was at the Hemisfair Arena when Jerry Tarkanian was coach. Remember watching him eat his towel. Weird guy.

Maddog
08-14-2013, 01:27 PM

I totally agree with you!
Fans who continue to cry, whine, and bitch about this last series have no earthly idea about heart breaks with the Spurs if they never experienced the Bullets series! Now that was truly heart breaking and makes this last one pale in significance. I just have to laugh when I think about it.
And I am thankful the Spurs even had a chance in this last one when they were not even supposed to be there by all accounts before hand.
Jeez why did you have to do that..
I was just getting over this finals and you go and bring up the Bullets series.
Next someones going to bring up the time Erving knocked the ball out of Ice's hand while standing out of bounds....

Chinook
08-14-2013, 01:51 PM
:lol bandwagon/t-shirt fan arguments because you don't live close. Dumbest takes in sports history tbh.

Man...didn't realize you were that young. Guess your posting style suggested to me that you were older.

I've been saying that whenever we talk about the first NBA player that was younger than us. Rubio is mine, and he's born in late 1990. Now that's a guy you'd think would be older than he actually is right there.

lmbebo
08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
raised in SA
Castle Hills Elem (beats me)
Jackson Middle School (89-92)
Robert E Lee High School. (92-96)
Left state for college, etc..

GoSpurs99
08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
The first time I saw the Spurs play, they were playing with a red, white and blue basketball and Dr J was playing for the NY Nets. I don't have a second favorite team, never have, never will.

Hope that's good enough?

Strategic
08-14-2013, 07:02 PM
My surname family came to this country in 1630 and I am a 14th generation American. You're all a heavy load but I still claim you. I own this place!!!

LarryDavid
08-14-2013, 09:31 PM
My friend is a promoter so he's always partying with ball players. Met Danny Green 2 nights in a row last summer.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2695/54444438271114901721207.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/1196/24651038179446610075682.jpg

kjhip1
08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Been a Spurs fan since I learned the game of basketball back when i was 7 or 8.

Ed Cody Elem
Adams Hill Elem
Pease Middle School
Jay HS (c/o 2001)
St. Marys Univ
US Air Force (2004 - present currently stationed in Hawaii)

Real Tomato Ketchup
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Love reading where everyone went to school.

Locke Hill Elementary
Hobby Middle School
Clark High School (94)
University of Kansas
Got my ass back to San Antonio

GSG!

look_at_g_shred
08-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Schulze Elementary/Kingsborough Middle School/ McCollum High School ('06) Palo Alto College/Career Point College Work in and live in the City Base Area on the Southeast of San Antonio. Been a Spurs fan since I was able to comprehend the game of Basketball 95-96 or so.

blkroadrunners
08-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Born and raised here and still reside here.

Valley Hi Nazarene
Village Parkway Christian
Castle Hills 1st Baptist til HS
South San - WC HS
St. Philips College
UTSA in 2009

Knoxxx
08-15-2013, 08:52 PM
First Spurs game attended was mid-70s. Moved away in early 80s to Lincoln NE and recall a Spurs playoff loss to Lakers and not much else other than A-Train. Sold out Memorial Stadium in Lincoln was my main interest. Came back in 1985 and started following the team more closely. When we won the Admiral's draft rights started following much more closely and bought partial season ticket (all I could afford) when he came in. Pretty much a die hard since then. All I truly care about in sports are the Spurs, my Huskers and my NFL Fantasy league. I don't have a favorite NFL team and I don't like baseball, soccer or hockey. I hate when those scores clog the ESPN ticker the first part of football season, they need a customizeable ticker!

Kidd K
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since I was 8. Those would be my ties.

I also own a crappy plot of land in El Paso, but that probably doesn't mean anything. :lol

Yeah, I didn't understand that about the thread title. You don't have to live in or have lived there to be a Spurs fan and not be a bandwagoner.

Bandwagoners aren't people who watch and support a team in a city they don't live in, they're fans who cheer for the "popular"/"hot" team who has the highest or one of the highest chances to win in a given year. Like if someone is a Mavs fan, and their shitty team didn't make the playoffs so they cheer for the Heat to win. Then they'd be a bandwagoner.

Holt's Cat
08-15-2013, 11:47 PM
F you if you aren't a townie.

DMC
08-15-2013, 11:59 PM
I am a direct descendant of the man who designed and created the spur itself. No, not the logo, I mean the actual spur. I have rights.

DMC
08-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Hell, I don't know. Grew up in the Rio Grande Valley when all we had was Dallas Cowboys football and seriously crappy minor league baseball. San Antonio was the closest big city. We always loved the Spurs.

Spent my summers as a kid in the Hill Country at summer camp. Sean Elliott came to visit as a rookie. Was a super nice guy and gave me his autograph even though I had no idea who he was other than a Spur.

I still have that napkin.....it isn't even white any more....faded yellow....but there he is....

Finally went to college.... Worked my summers in the same area. Read the San Antonio Express News about David Robinson...... Suffered through bad teams....

I even remember liking a guy called Brickowski........... Some white dude that played kinda' hard.....

Any way.....

Flight instructed in SA.... Came and went many times. Even remember when Timmeh was going to leave to go to Orlando or some such........and at the time was like, "Who cares? Let the idiot leave! Can't even wear real shoes to a press conference. What a jerkoff!"

Well..... I was wrong.

Was there for the last three rings.

Watched the Finals in SA at the SBC Center with my wife..........................

Parades on the River Walk...............

My kids are on the DVD from the 2007 Championship right before the credits.....

Also flew Tracy McGrady and Greg Popovich on charter flights.............................

My wife met Robert Horry at a club she worked at. She said, "You're really tall. Do you play basketball?" He said, "Something like that." We had been to several games. You can't spot Robert Horry???? SERIOUSLY?

WOOT.

Talons?

DMC
08-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Knew a few of the rookie DR, TC and Elliott team players personally including David, Sean and Chill. Knew David's little brother as well. My cousin drilled Willie in the rib cage with a fast pitch on a tennis court with a tennis ball when we were playing (what Willie called) strikeout. Willie used to come by my apartment and pick me up to hang out. Cool dude, really low speed.

bigfan
08-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Started going to the Spurs at Hemisfair after I got out of the military in 83. Best moments were the time I saw the Spurs beat the Lakers twice in one night. I also remember in like 85 I had a huge sign made up that was as long as the court that we hung from the upper railing that said "Lakers welcome to your chamber of horrors!" (Unfortunately, we lost that game). No matter where on the planet Ive lived Ive always been a "bigfan".

dallasmaverickslose
08-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Stupid ass thread. Who the hell cares about proving themselves to some random poster on the internet?

spursncowboys
08-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Larkspur/Coker/Thousand Oaks
Driscoll
Madison
SAC/St. Mary's U.

I remember the Triple Threat. I had the poster. Before The Admiral. That's the year I became a fan.

Dex
08-16-2013, 09:20 AM
San Antonio born and raised.

Redland Oaks Elementary
Driscoll Middle School
MacArthur High School, class of '04
SAC

First poster: David Robinson

Favorite childhood stuffed animal: The Coyote

Brazil
08-16-2013, 11:00 AM

you forgot racist retard who never traveled outside the US

Blizzardwizard
08-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Never been to the USA. Fan from England because it's a team I saw win on tv a few years back. That's it. I still support the team as much as anyone else here does. Staying up till around 5AM watching us play the Kings/Pelicans/Suns etc.

TE
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Stupid ass thread. Who the hell cares about proving themselves to some random poster on the internet?
:cry

Skull-1
08-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Talons?

Nope. Those "Scary" guys at Randolph teach in those. I spent a lot of time getting out of their way, though. Lol

Skull-1
08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
you forgot racist retard who never traveled outside the US

Yeah right. I dumped my lavatory over your crappy country last week. It improved the scenery, loser.

More intellect in my dork than you have in five lifetimes and I am no racist despite you being an inbred white jerk wad.

Brazil
08-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah right. I dumped my lavatory over your crappy country last week. It improved the scenery, loser.

More intellect in my dork than you have in five lifetimes and I am no racist despite you being an inbred white jerk wad.

One thing is sure you are a retard

Humberto
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh and I practically was born and raised in the Las Palapas at 281/1604

I grew up in Alamo Cafe

smaka
08-19-2013, 01:06 PM
I was born only ~9300km away, so my bond and love for the Spurs is just an obvious thing.

Proxy
08-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I only go for the Spurs when they're good. I like to have fun.

Spur|n|Austin
08-19-2013, 03:50 PM

4 pages of people repping why they are Spurs fans.. Looks like your the only one who caught feelings somewhere along the way.

crc21209
08-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I live about 2 1/2 hours away from SA in Del Rio. So of course, growing up as a little kid I was a Spurs fan from the beginning. Been going to games since 2000 when I was 12 years old. Now I attend at least 4-5 games a year. I go to SA alot to shop, go see family, and just get away from the small town life of DR.

007nites
08-20-2013, 03:03 AM
I live 3,000KM North West of San Antonio. Can anyone take a guess?

Rummpd
08-20-2013, 04:29 AM
6 years at Ft Sam 1976 as a PFC and X Ray school and then 5 years 86-89 and 90-91 for a pediatric medical residency and then post fellowship staff work, and was also a sports doc at Cole HS during the Shaq years......he did not play football but the coach drooled to make him the entire line.....

SsKSpurs21
08-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I miss San Antonio... :depressed

Darkwaters
08-21-2013, 12:30 AM
San Antonio born and raised.

Redland Oaks Elementary
Driscoll Middle School
MacArthur High School, class of '04
SAC

First poster: David Robinson

Favorite childhood stuffed animal: The Coyote

Driscoll Middle School
MacArthur High School (Class of '03)

Darkwaters
08-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Born at Ft. Riley, KS

Moved around a lot. Have lived in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Kentucky and Georgia. Plus over 10 years in Europe split between Germany and Italy...as well as more than a little time in a shitty Central Asian "Republic" called Afghanistan. I'm coming back stateside for the first time in a half decade pretty soon. Spending about 6 months in San Antonio and then moving to Tennessee (Ft. Campbell - but I REFUSE to live on the Kentucky side again).

Living in the Washington D.C. area (Virginia actually) as a little kid I started cheering for pro sports teams in 1991. The Washington Redskins were hot shit, as they were recent Super Bowl Champs. My Dallas-born and raised dad set me straight. Dallas Cowboys. Period (By the way, he lives in SA now, and has been a Spurs fan for many many years - no Mavs connections). Ironically, my next door neighbor from Buffalo, NY thought that the Cowboys were a poor choice considering the relative success of his team. Yea...that whole relationship actually played out really hilariously within a year or so.

First NBA game was in 1992 - Washington Bullets vs. Boston Celtics. It didn't hook me. I wouldn't watch the NBA again until 1998 when we moved back to San Antonio for the 3rd time. Watched the 1998 season with some interest, and then the Championship the year after. Game 1 of NBA finals was next door to my High School graduation in 2003. I've followed the team religiously since moving away.

I lived in Oklahoma City for several years and was a Oklahoma City Hornets season ticket holder for both the years they were in town. Wore my silver and black at all of the appropriate occasions, however. I've seen the Spurs in road games in OKC, Minneapolis, Miami and Atlanta. I used to also follow Treviso a little bit in Italy. Saw Gary Neal live in his pre-Spurs days.

Driscoll Middle School
MacArthur High School (Class of '03)

Floyd Pacquiao
08-21-2013, 01:40 AM
born and raised

Baseline
08-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Met Tim when he was a recruit at Wake. Just amazing to see a quiet, smart, almost geeky kid end up as the greatest PF ever. To me, a lot of credit should go to Dave Odom (Tim's coach at WFU), who is a great coach and a great guy, and treated all the players like family. I've always felt the family atmosphere Coach Odom created there was why Tim chose Wake. Although truthfully, Tim wasn't heavily recruited at all. I know the Wake staff kept the whole thing extremely hush-hush.