PDA

View Full Version : Elon Musk Explains the Hyperloop, the Solar-Powered High-Speed Future of Inter-City

symple19
08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-12/revealed-elon-musk-explains-the-hyperloop

Badass. Only problem is that it would allow more SoCalifornians to pollute the superior portion of the state :lol

Almost a year after Elon Musk, chief executive of Tesla Motors (TSLA (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=TSLA)) and SpaceX, first floated the idea of a superfast mode of transportation, he has finally revealed the details: a solar-powered, city-to-city elevated transit system that could take passengers and cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes. In typical Musk fashion, the Hyperloop (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-12/hyperloop-physics-101-with-elon-musk), as he calls it, immediately poses a challenge to the status quo—in this case, California’s $70 billion high-speed train that has been knocked by Musk and others as too expensive, too slow, and too impractical.
In Musk’s vision, the Hyperloop would transport people via aluminum pods enclosed inside of steel tubes. He describes the design as looking like a shotgun with the tubes running side by side for most of the journey and closing the loop at either end. These tubes would be mounted on columns 50 to 100 yards apart, and the pods inside would travel up to 800 miles per hour. Some of this Musk has hinted at before; he now adds that pods could ferry cars as well as people. “You just drive on, and the pod departs,” Musk told Bloomberg Businessweek in his first interview about the Hyperloop.

symple19
08-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's the original blog post http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/hyperloop

Chief Brody
08-12-2013, 05:03 PM
This is the kind of stuff I used to think about after popping a couple microdots...pretty crazy that we'll see shit like this in our lifetime

silverblk mystix
08-12-2013, 05:06 PM
It will be cool when there is a major disaster....

"758 passengers were killed when a portion of the hyperloop was vandalized near the US/Mexico border in Arizona. Witnesses in San Francisco reported hundreds of bodies were seen catapulted into the Pacific ocean traveling faster than a Boeing 747 - and some slammed into the Golden Gate Bridge."

jag
08-12-2013, 05:15 PM
solar powered, city-to-city elevated transit system that could take passengers and cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes.

San Diego to Sacramento - the illegal alien superhighway.

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Never, EVER, happen. This shit is voodoo science.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Europe has had high speed rails for years, :lol people thinking this is some breakthrough technology.

This is infrastructure investing the rest of the modern world did while we were busy building prisons while invading Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Reckoning
08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Never, EVER, happen. This shit is voodoo science.

they said that to jules verne

Rogue
08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
In that movie the Island, a story about the world of the future, US cities were mostly interlinked by high-speed maglev railroads so my "goddess" and her Scottish boyfriend could travel between Nevada, LA and NY like in no time.

helwardman
08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Dude invented Paypal then set up SpaceX then set up Tesla Motors. I wouldn't bet against him.

CubanMustGo
08-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Europe has had high speed rails for years, :lol people thinking this is some breakthrough technology.

This is infrastructure investing the rest of the modern world did while we were busy building prisons while invading Iraq and Afghanistan.

Umm, no, this is not 'high speed rail' and in fact Musk rails (heh) against the waste of money to build same in California. Next time you see Euro rail that can go 600+ mph, let us know.

the Hyperloop would transport people via aluminum pods enclosed inside of steel tubes. He describes the design as looking like a shotgun with the tubes running side by side for most of the journey and closing the loop at either end. These tubes would be mounted on columns 50 to 100 yards apart, and the pods inside would travel up to 800 miles per hour.
That doesn't mean his proposals are either realistic or affordable, but it's way removed from what we know today as high-speed rail, be it in Japan, Europe, or wherever.

LarryDavid
08-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not betting against Musk. But imagine the damage in an earthquake?

Bill_Brasky
08-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Elon Musk is very smart. If anybody can make this feasible, it's definitely him and his group.

symple19
08-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm not betting against Musk. But imagine the damage in an earthquake?

I think he addressed it in his blog post, tbh

CosmicCowboy
08-15-2013, 07:27 AM
800mph is breaking the sound barrier sonic boom fast. Neighbors are gonna love that shit.

Bill_Brasky
08-15-2013, 08:55 AM
And: no sonic boom. With warm air inside the tubes and high tailwinds, the pods could travel at high speeds without crossing the sound barrier. “The pod can go just below the speed of sound relative to the air,” Musk says.

AntiChrist
08-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Please build this!

Sincerely,

Terrorists

AntiChrist
08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
And LA to San Fran is just the perfect route to test this.

silverblk mystix
08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Hyperloop...that is so yesterday...signed- A. Neutrino.

-We don’t allow faster than light neutrinos in here, said the bartender. A neutrino walks into a bar.
- Neutrino. Knock knock.
- Hipsters liked neutrinos before they arrived.
- I wrote a speed of light joke…but a neutrino beat me to it.
- A. To prove particles can travel faster than light Q. Why did the neutrino cross the road?
- I’m going to tweet my neutrino joke yesterday.
- Want to hear a joke about neutrinos? It’d probably go straight through you.
- If that #neutrino is faster than light does that explain why physicists never saw it coming?