PDA

View Full Version : Britton Johnsen makes last NBA stand

timvp
07-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Johnsen makes last NBA stand
http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_pro_basketball/article/0,2403,BSUN_19106_3941176,00.html
By GORDON MONSON
July 19, 2005

Britton Johnsen is a changed man.

Anyone who saw the former University of Utah star play in the Rocky Mountain Revue the other night for the Spurs recognized the transformation. The evidence had less to do with his stat totals, although they were impressive - 21 points on 8-for-14 shooting and eight rebounds in a win over the Atlanta Hawks - and more to do with the first play of the game.

As the Spurs went into their initial offensive set, Johnsen aggressively came off a pick and fired up a shot from four feet beyond the three-point arc. It missed, clanking off the rim.

"But," says Johnsen, "it felt good. And that's how I feel, too. I'm not going to worry about it. If I'd done that in college, (Rick) Majerus would have benched me and yelled at me, during the game, after the game, and the next day in practice. That mentality rubbed off on me. I was afraid that if I missed a shot, I might disappoint someone. Now, I don't care about that. I'm just playing."

Playing better than most anyone else at the Revue.

"My motivation is full throttle," he says. "This might be my last shot at the NBA. It's hard to even sleep at night.

"It's intense out there. Everybody on the court is going 100 percent. We're all doing everything we can to make it. We're a bunch of desperate men."

Desperate men dancing on lunacy's edge, hard between playing in Boise or Bismarck and New York or Los Angeles.

Johnsen has existed in that no man's land for better than two seasons, nearly always being encouraged that he is just one quick cross-over from the big time, while shouldering the burden of a dream almost realized during stints in the bushes.

"The NBA is outrageous," he says. "The treatment players get is amazing. There's money, you get a $100 per diem for meals every day. There's chartered flights. There are big contracts. Guys try to outdo each other. One guy goes out and buys a nice car and the next guy goes out and buys a nicer one. It's crazy."

Johnsen has seen Bentley-mania up close and personal, spending time with the Orlando Magic and the Indiana Pacers. His brief opportunity with the Pacers came after the Pistons brawl last season that got a chunk of the team suspended. He lasted just two weeks and six games before a number of players came off the injured list. Johnsen caught the attention of Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who told him he needed more of one thing before he could stick in the league.

"He said, 'You need to be more of an a-hole,'" says Johnsen. "He said, 'You have to try to tear people's heads off.'"

Meantime, Johnsen was released and dragged himself back to the CBA, where he played for the Idaho Stampede for the remainder of last season. He played well, but the depression that sidled up alongside was heavy to haul.

"I'd tasted the NBA and now I was back riding the bus. I went from the Ritz-Carlton to a Motel 6."

The worst of it came on Christmas, when the small forward was back with the Stampede, riding on an old beater bus without a functioning heater from Sioux Falls, S.D., to Bismarck, N.D. The bus subsequently broke down and the team was stranded in minus-15-degree weather at a gas station in the middle of nowhere.

"It almost turned funny. Really, it was sad."

A Bentley would have come in handy that day.

But at some unknown juncture on that cold road from nowhere to somewhere, Johnsen started to flourish. He began getting a groove and putting up big numbers in games nobody cared about and nobody watched. Still, he was proving something to himself.

Since his days at Utah, where expectations ran so high for the former McDonald's prep All-American, his personal sensitivity to criticism from his coach nearly paralyzed him, especially at the offensive end. Majerus and Johnsen were a bad match, and he was slow to shake off the effects.

He looked for someone, maybe ghosts, to apologize to after every mistake.

That lack of confidence, that penitent posture, is gone now, on account of an unexpected influence - the birth of his son six months ago.

"It rejuvenated me. it was a life-changing experience. It put things in perspective. I don't worry about things as much. It sounds kind of cheesy, but, when I'm on the court, I don't fret about things. I just do my best and have fun, knowing when I get home, my wife and son will be there for me. There's something magical about that."

Johnsen's comfort zone expanded to the size of David Letterman's. He let the material roll. His game still needs improvement, but that debilitating anxiety is at last gone.

"You get to the point where you say, 'I'm sick of this, I'm putting it all out on the line. I already have what's most important in life. Now, I'm inches away from the NBA happening for me. I feel like the sky's the limit. I need to find the right spot, the right team, but I can be a difference-maker. I can take myself where I want to go. Can I be an NBA All-Star? Probably not. But I can play and play well in the league."

If the chance doesn't come sometime soon, Johnsen will bolt for Europe, where he's already getting lucrative offers. But he still wants the NBA to recognize the advances in his abilities.

"My game is coming into a zone where I've always wanted it. Everybody always talked to me about my potential. Well, it's finally being fulfilled. I'm turning into the player I always wanted to be. No matter where I end up, that feels good. I can just go play."

timvp
07-20-2005, 08:16 PM
A hungry 6-foot-10 small forward who isn't afraid to let it fly from deep?

That'll work.

He's not a big name but he could be worth a spot on the team. Sign him and then let him play in the D-League. Perhaps he's a late bloomer who just needs a chance.

exstatic
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Johnsen caught the attention of Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who told him he needed more of one thing before he could stick in the league.

"He said, 'You need to be more of an a-hole,'" says Johnsen. "He said, 'You have to try to tear people's heads off.'"

I'm sorry. That's fucking hilarious. :lol

danyel
07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I like the guy, I hope the Spurs sign him.

timvp
07-20-2005, 08:22 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2005/0720/20050720__spt_monsoncol_0720~1_200.jpg

What a minute. What number is that he's wearing?

:nope

picnroll
07-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry. That's fucking hilarious. :lol
Also explains a lot of the Pacers on court demeanor.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 08:28 PM
That mentality rubbed off on me. I was afraid that if I missed a shot, I might disappoint someone. Now, I don't care about that. I'm just playing."

that sounds like something Robert Horry would say, and I like that

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 08:28 PM
This guy's a Mormon, right? I like him quietly censoring Rick Carlysle ("a-hole").

Sounds like a Spurs story, the road this guy's taken. Who knows?

ace3g
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I think he has a great chance to make the spurs training camp roster. real good chance

boutons
07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
He's still in re-hab from his confidence/guilt debility. And it will probably take him another season, at least, to find and develop his pro game now that he's found the missing piece, his heart.
He sounds smart, reflective, and hungry from paying his serious dues.

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I remember him from NBA inside stuff last year when they were following the hornets during training camp. He was the last guy cut before the season started. It was pretty sad.

David@SLCC
07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
During the Atlanta-Spurs game, you could tell that Monty was trying something and really wanted to see what Britton could do. I mean, 80% of the plays were ran for him, he played most of the game and he didn't dissapoint. Also you could see how Monty would spend time talking to him on the bench. Right after the game, Monty sat behind Pop on the stands and they talked for a long while. I think they may really be looking at this guy as a possible taining camp invite and maybe work on his defensive skills. I hope he makes it.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 09:55 PM
His skills and build fill the profile for a backup 3. Seems like he has the desire to do what it takes, which is great because it does take a certain type of mentality to fit in to a winning program, be it in SA or elsewhere.

Hope this story ends well, nothing would be better than addressing the backup 3 spot well at minimal expense.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Some old news on Britton ....

Utes' Johnsen denies slur

http://slam.canoe.ca/1998MarchMadness/mar30_mad2.html

By TONY MARASCHIELLO -- Toronto Sun
Controversy hit the Utah Utes yesterday as they prepared for tonight's final against Kentucky.
Utes freshman forward Britton Johnsen has been accused by North Carolina Tar Heels centre Makhtar Ndiaye of calling him the "N-word" during Utah's semi-final win on Saturday night.
Johnsen, who is white, vehemently denied the accusation yesterday and countered that the African-born Ndiaye spit in his face during the game.
"All I said to him was that I was 100 pounds lighter than him and I was kicking his butt," the 6-foot-9, 200-pound Johnsen said. "It's a joke that this is even an issue. It was a rough game and we were bodying each other.
"He slapped me across the face once and he even spit on me. But I did not use a racial slur against him."
NO SPITTING
Ndiaye, who is 6-foot-10 and 231 pounds, denied spitting on Johnsen and said the Utah player used the racial slur several times during the game.
"I don't have anything to say about spitting on him," Ndiaye, a native of Dakar, Senegal said. "He has no right to use the N-word at me. He used it more than once and he used it every time we got into contact."
Utah coach Rick Majerus was visibly upset yesterday about the matter and said he spoke to Johnsen about the accusations and believes they are false.
"I don't want the spectre of racism hanging over Britton's head all his life," Majerus said.
"He's a good kid. I can say without hesitation that Britton did not say those things. In fact, I'm so sure that I'll resign as coach if I'm proved wrong."

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Followed by ...

Johnsen vindicated as Ndiaye recants

http://slam.canoe.ca/1998MarchMadness/mar30_joh.html

By TONY MARASCHIELLO -- Toronto Sun
North Carolina Tar Heels centre Makhtar Ndiaye admitted yesterday he lied about Utah freshman Britton Johnsen using a racial slur against him.
Ndiaye was widely quoted after Saturday's Final Four loss to the Utes as saying that Johnsen, who is white, had called him a racist name during the game.
Ndiaye issued a prepared statement yesterday saying he was upset after the loss and let his emotions get the best of him.
"I said some things I should not have said," Ndiaye, a native of Dakar, Senegal, said. "During the game, Britt Johnsen and I were doing some trash talking, but he did not use the 'n'-word to me."
Johnsen has all along denied using any racial remark and in turn accused Ndiaye of spitting in his face during the game.
"We were getting really competitive and our bodies were clashing into each other," Johnsen said during a press conference on Sunday called by Utah coach Rick Majerus to clear the air on the matter. "He slapped me across the face at first ... and he told me he was going to kick my (butt) and all this. And the only words that came out of my mouth, I said 'Look, I'm 100 pounds lighter than you, and I'm going to kick your butt.' And he spit at me."
Ndiaye denied yesterday that he spit on Johnsen. "I have sent Britt a letter of apology," Ndiaye said. "I got upset in the locker room when some reporters were asking me about what we were saying to each other and I let my emotions get away from me. But I did not spit on him."
Majerus has steadfastly stood by his player the past two days and even went as far as saying that he would resign as coach if he was proven wrong.
"Look, I've probably walked in more civil rights marches with my father than any of you in this room," Majerus said on Sunday to close to 200 media members. "I think this is a very serious issue. I think (the n-word) is reprehensible."
"It's unfortunate this whole thing happened," Johnsen said before the championship game against the Wildcats. "In a way, I feel bad for the kid. He's a senior and it was his last game. Some people don't think before they do things.
"It's really nice that he apologized -- it helps out a lot," added Johnsen. "I wouldn't in a million years ever use that word."
It's not the first time Ndiaye has accused someone of a racist remark. Earlier this season, Ndiaye claimed several Maryland fans used racial epithets against him after a game, a claim Maryland university officials later denied.

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 10:43 PM
It's a powerful accusation to claim someone used a racial epithet. It's a terrible thing when someone uses a false accusation for a personal agenda. That goes double for such the fraught and destructive one Ndiaye used. It's a slap in the face to those who lost their loved ones, lives and livelihoods fighting against racial bigotry. It cheapens the power of righteous accusations and while I'm glad the guy recanted and apologized, it wasn't a good sign for his character. He might have had a lot to work through, coming to this country, finding problems here, having problems of his own, but it's a sad sight to see someone use historical pain like that for their personal advantage. Shame on Ndiaye.

ducks
07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
sign him up NOW
AND LET HIM WEAR 6! DON HARRIS

tsb2000
07-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Utes in the house! :)

T Park
07-21-2005, 01:34 AM
What a minute. What number is that he's wearing?

Number 6. Whats the big deal??

Let him wear it.

It should be Ginobili's number though.

The guy sounds like hes got a fantastic attitude, my question though, does he have any kind of jumper or offensive game.

The points are nice, but is he getting them because the SL fodder is bad defensively? or because the guy can put the ball in the hoop.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 01:38 AM
The guy sounds like hes got a fantastic attitude, my question though, does he have any kind of jumper or offensive game.

The points are nice, but is he getting them because the SL fodder is bad defensively? or because the guy can put the ball in the hoop.

He just has an offensive game. And though he's putting up points in summer league, it might be only because he's getting a lot of touches. Yesterday he shot 4-for-13 :( The game before that he scored 21 points, but some were saying that he was just throwing up 3 pointers without getting into any sets. (He hit 3-of-7 3's)

It might be good to bring him into training camp, but what he has done in summer league isn't that incredible - except for maybe the one game when he hit 6-for-11 from the field (4-for-5 on 3's).

ace3g
07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
he is shooting over 50 percent from the 3pt line in the Revue

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 01:41 AM
he is shooting over 50 percent from the 3pt line in the Revue

Is that including Tuesday's game? (or not because the box score isn't up)

IcemanCometh
07-21-2005, 01:42 AM
hes ugly as fuck

ace3g
07-21-2005, 01:43 AM
no it is not including Tuesday's game because yeah i havent seen the boxscore, even if it dropped to .45 or so that is still good

ace3g
07-21-2005, 01:44 AM
what do you looks have anything to do with skill and talent( cough cough manu cough cough)

Horry For 3!
07-21-2005, 02:14 AM
He seems like he could be a great role player.

BehaviorDisorder
07-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Johnsen has existed in that no man's land for better than two seasons, nearly always being encouraged that he is just one quick cross-over from the big time, while shouldering the burden of a dream almost realized during stints in the bushes.

in the same mold as AJ,Malik,Bruce Bowen,Devin Brown,

This guy is a SPUR.

mattyc
07-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Like the fact that he's a tall SF.

Idaho has had a bit of success with getting guys to the NBA. Newble, Smush Parker, Damon Jones, Rafer...