PDA

View Full Version : City of San Antonio to tack on $1 to CPS bills to fund city parks.

Das Texan
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/1-monthly-fee-for-S-A-parks-could-be-on-the-4733468.php

My initial reaction is this:

Fuck you Castro. Fuck your fucking hidden taxes. This is simply a ploy for his higher public office, much like the Pre-K for SA.

Fuck your political career, how about doing something positive for the fucking city of San Antonio.

This is more akin to you get what you fucking pay for in this city. You dont want to pay City Council and the Mayor a real fucking salary this is the shit you fucking get.

The shit with Chan is funny also.

That's Funked Up
08-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Looks like a ploy to get voters to vote on redistributing 1/8th of the sales tax. But yes, fuck pre-k for SA, ironically if those morons who voted for it actually went to pre-k tthey would have been smart enough to see how bullshit that program is.

Nbadan
08-17-2013, 01:12 AM
We need pre-K for SA mainly because some people here believe that 1/8th of a cent is 1/8th of the state sales tax...

The Reckoning
08-17-2013, 03:14 AM
and? i like a city with nice parks.

leemajors
08-17-2013, 09:25 AM
and? i like a city with nice parks.

yeah not sure how maintaining a sanitation schedule at parks can be seen as negative.

Drachen
08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I use the Leon Creek Greenway and the mission trail with some regularity so I guess this is good.

mrsmaalox
08-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I use a city park every day; once per week I see a crew out there mowing, trimming, cleaning up----I like that. Much cheaper than a gym membership.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/1-monthly-fee-for-S-A-parks-could-be-on-the-4733468.php

My initial reaction is this:

Fuck you Castro. Fuck your fucking hidden taxes. This is simply a ploy for his higher public office, much like the Pre-K for SA.

Fuck your political career, how about doing something positive for the fucking city of San Antonio.

This is more akin to you get what you fucking pay for in this city. You dont want to pay City Council and the Mayor a real fucking salary this is the shit you fucking get.

The shit with Chan is funny also.

I also have no problem with parks programs. I think its something we dont spend enough on as a city along with the arts itself. I just am 100% against it being a hidden tax like this on your CPS bill. What it should be is classified as what it should be, part of your city taxes.

But since Castro is going to run for higher office, there is no way in hell he is going to push for raising city taxes for something as silly as parks or the arts. Instead they are proposing hiding it away as a CPS charge on your bill.

Since when did utilities start funding park maintenance?

This city is so fucking corrupt and everyone just rubber stamps everything Castro does with no actual fucking debate. We are fucked.

mrsmaalox
08-17-2013, 11:12 AM
We've been paying for Solid Waste Management thru the CPS bill forever. Not really "hidden" if they tell you about it.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
We've been paying for Solid Waste Management thru the CPS bill forever. Not really "hidden" if they tell you about it.

I think its a stretch to compare Solid Waste Billing with Park Maintenance.

One is generally paid for by whomever uses it. One is generally paid for out of city revenues.

Apples to Oranges.

I just dont see it as anything more than the city trying to cover their budget shortfalls by not actually raising the tax rate or cutting services/salaries. Tell me its not that and I'll be ok with it.

mrsmaalox
08-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I think its a stretch to compare Solid Waste Billing with Park Maintenance.

One is generally paid for by whomever uses it. One is generally paid for out of city revenues.

Apples to Oranges.

I just dont see it as anything more than the city trying to cover their budget shortfalls by not actually raising the tax rate or cutting services/salaries. Tell me its not that and I'll be ok with it.

Yes that's what it is. But I'm okay with it.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes that's what it is. But I'm okay with it.

Raise the fucking tax rate then and properly fund not only the parks but all of the arts programs this city should fund.

Though that would be bad political theatre for Castro once he is done with San Antonio offices, so it wont ever be done.

For Castro its about his political career first, second and third and whats right,best for the City of San Antonio after.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Also, if its on taxes, I can claim an extra few pennies on my tax return. This way I cant claim dick. Shady as fuck.

Blake
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah, i want better/more parks. I'd like every park to look like Hardberger park + the outdoor workout machines they have at some other parks.

But no, I don't like funding stuff like this through CPS. Too slippery a slope.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, i want better/more parks. I'd like every park to look like Hardberger park + the outdoor workout machines they have at some other parks.

But no, I don't like funding stuff like this through CPS. Too slippery a slope.

Exactly.

scott
08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Ill just point out that if this is funded via property tax, then only property owners will be paying the tax. If paid via CPS, then anyone who has an electric bill will pay the tax.

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Renters will still pay just not directly. Just like with property taxes now

scott
08-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Because the property owner acts as an intermediary of the tax transaction in the case of property taxes being passed on, the tax burden is shared between renter and landlord, with the degree of the burden dictated by the elasticity of demand for rentals and the propensity for landlords to adjust rental rates based on minute changes in property taxes, and then factoring in the contractual delay in the ability to adjust rates to compensate for changes in said taxes.

Although, to be fair, the same can be said in the case of it being tacked on to a CPS bill, where the utility user and CPS share the tax burden, with the share of each being dictated by the elasticity of demand for utility service.

All of this could be determined, but it's not worth the time... So fair point forget I said anything

CubanMustGo
08-17-2013, 06:41 PM
You get this excited over $12 a year to make this a better place for everyone to live? smh

CosmicCowboy
08-17-2013, 07:01 PM
You get this excited over $12 a year to make this a better place for everyone to live? smh

I think the issue is thats it's just another hidden tax. We are already at the legal limit for sales tax thanks to the pre-K scam and property taxes are already onerous. It's like that $1.99 a month "environmental services fee" that is already on your bill every month...where is that 13 million a year going?

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-17-2013, 07:44 PM
I'd get excited because it's a regressive tax. Charging everyone $12 a year regardless of income hurts the middle class and poor a lot more than it does the rich.

pgardn
08-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I will gladly pay it as I use the Parks for running.

I wish they woul put in more fields for the kids.

Chief Brody
08-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Kinda jewish to bitch about $12, don't ya think?

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Who's bitching about 12 bucks. If you are referring to me as the original poster.

I'm annoyed by the way its being done. I'd much rather they go about doing it in other routes and actually funding MORE than just this park maintenance, but fund for additional parks, and actually having real arts programs in this city.

The way they are doing it is shady as fuck and is ignoring the larger issue being that this city is fucked long term economically, unless they figure out a way to turn around the runaway train that is retirement benefits for police/firefighters.

Chief Brody
08-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Who's bitching about 12 bucks. If you are referring to me as the original poster.

I'm annoyed by the way its being done. I'd much rather they go about doing it in other routes and actually funding MORE than just this park maintenance, but fund for additional parks, and actually having real arts programs in this city.

The way they are doing it is shady as fuck and is ignoring the larger issue being that this city is fucked long term economically, unless they figure out a way to turn around the runaway train that is retirement benefits for police/firefighters.
If I lived in Texas I'd be one of them, so no sympathy here:lol

Das Texan
08-17-2013, 11:38 PM
If I lived in Texas I'd be one of them, so no sympathy here:lol

From what I know at this point long term there are going to be 3 real options

1. Reduce retirement/healthcare benefits
2. Raise taxes
3. Reduce other services provided to the citizens in San Antonio paid for by taxes et al. (park maintenance being the tip of the iceberg)

I dont see any other real solution (at least not at this point), though I'm fairly certain the current leadership will elect D. Punt

boutons_deux
08-18-2013, 08:09 AM
raising property taxes would have been the fair way, lessening the burden on the poor, while sticking it to the wealthy.

head taxes like this parks tax are regressive.

Blake
08-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I will gladly pay it as I use the Parks for running.

I wish they woul put in more fields for the kids.

I use roads for driving. I wish they would put in more lanes on 1604.

Just tack on another $1 to the ol' CPS bill.

boutons_deux
08-18-2013, 10:27 AM

TX Repugs screw TX road building and maintenance (except in fracking area, pandering to their finacier BigCarbon)

Texas highway funding gets crumbs in budget deal

Wilson told them it would take at least $4 billion extra each year — $3 billion to add highway capacity and $1 billion for repairing existing roads.

Here’s how badly lawmakers fell short: The budget deal announced last week would put $900 million into roadways over the next two years, $500 million of which would go to projects in the oil patch, where trucks are taking a heavy toll.

That leaves $400 million in new money — about the cost of two freeway interchanges — to be spread around statewide for non-oilfield projects.

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130520-editorial-texas-highway-funding-gets-crumbs-in-budget-deal.ece

pgardn
08-18-2013, 10:53 AM

yeah, that also... I use roads for eating lunch.

Its not a parks first, roads second issue.
My take on 1604 is the growth NW was badly managed.
Developers out of control. They build those two story boxed houses with no yards in areas with insufficient infrastructure.
Buyer beware. I bought a house away from 1604 and 281 after assessing the traffic. There are some nice places with good schools further inside. Surprising rejuvenation in the Jefferson area despite the schools.

Dallas, Houston and Austin are worse imo. But we are catching up with traffic issues.

boutons_deux
08-18-2013, 11:51 AM
281 north and 10 west need to be at least 2 x 3 lanes all the way to 46.

btw, if you ride on the new, and very unsmooth, concrete stretch between 1604 and Boerne stage rd, you know Zachary or whoever is shitty road builder, and the govt is equally shitty for not specifying smoothness. the new 410 north re-do is equally washboard. And why the fuck can't they avoid the big ridges when a road meets a bridge?

Blake
08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
yeah, that also... I use roads for eating lunch.

Its not a parks first, roads second issue.

It's a delegation of money issue. Park maintenance money has no business coming out of my CPS bill.

pgardn
08-18-2013, 01:25 PM
It's a delegation of money issue. Park maintenance money has no business coming out of my CPS bill.

The State provides some of the funding of roads as well as the Feds (but we don't need fed money cause we are TEXAS).
Understand the dislike of the underhanded approach though. I personally think the parks help the city.

I would be far more concerned with your County Taxes though that come from Bexar County Hospital as a $ issue. That's gonna go way up because rickybobbyperry refused fed funds.

Biernutz
08-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Because of projected shortfalls in the city budget, they will probably raise user fees, traffic fines and permit fees to raise more money.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-18-2013, 03:39 PM
:lol 'hidden tax' that is published in the city newspaper. you guys are literally parroting the rhetoric of the american tax foundation.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Budgeting is going to be a fiscal nightmare for the next 15 or so years as the free ride generation continues their free ride. It's just the way it is. The reason why our roads aren't being paid for is because we have to pay for you and all your friend's health care and insure your IRA's are propped up at all costs, bouties.