PDA

View Full Version : NBA: LOL Hakeem: It Took Dwight 3 Days To Learn What I Taught Kobe In One Hour

Koolaid_Man
08-19-2013, 10:42 PM
:lmao Fucking Awesome Dude.... Whoa Man this interview is EPIC!!!! :lmao@Rockets fan

Hakeem pays Kobe the utmost respect...I don't think he'll come right out and say it but based on his comments below it appears Kobe was the smartest player he's ever worked with...

Olajuwon: Kobe’s accomplishments speak for themselves. His work ethic, his determination to be the best. When you talk about Kobe, you talk about his work ethic and how great it is for someone to maximizing his potential. Kobe has reached his whole potential, and maintained it, pushed it as far as it can go. When he passes me on the all-time scoring list, I think there’s no question that it is well-deserved. He’s just a great, great scorer. Just to be mentioned as one of the all-time scorers is a huge accomplishment for me.

Olajuwon: I was surprised and impressed when he called me up that he wanted to come and work out. I said, ‘Kobe, you have all the moves already, you don’t need me!’ He said ‘No, I want to master the post, and I love your game.’ He gave me huge compliments (like that). So I knew right away how I could add value to his game from the post point of view, because my moves work better with quicker guys like him. Many of the moves require certain reflexes, agility and fakes. He’s the ideal player to use those moves, and he could add volume to his game. When a big man makes a move, for example, he has one dribble or two dribbles and has to go up, but with a guard, you don’t pick up that dribble until the moment you’re ready to shoot. That gives him the advantage over every big guy that plays in the post because he often will have more dribbles to do more things.

He’s mentioned that he also worked with you on dealing with double teams as well as some specific moves. How would you describe the session?

Olajuwon: We worked on basic moves to create space, how to free yourself from a guy and shake him off. We worked on how to deal with double teams, how to read the defense when it’s coming. It’s really important to be able to go both ways with a move. Any time the defense tries to figure you out, you counter with something else. What makes the moves so deadly is you take whatever the defense gives you. That’s why it was so much fun working with Kobe ... it was unbelievable. What was funny was the game the Lakers played against the Rockets (in the 2009-10 season) because I was there, and after Kobe shook Shane Battier with a move in the post, and finished off the glass, he looked at me and winked. The move was textbook. That was something that we had worked on so much. It made me very happy to make a contribution to his game, to add to his talents, to add to his accomplishments. Now, when I watch his games, I see how much he goes to the post .... And now I even see Gasol using some of the baseline moves, and I wonder, is he showing Gasol some of the moves? The quick baseline spin move is one I don’t remember seeing Gasol use before.

How would you describe how you operated around the paint, and how you tried to impart certain facets of your game upon Bryant?

Olajuwon: I think my principle is to take whatever the opponent gives me. I would take something all day until they take it away. So if it’s the jump hook, I’ll do it until they counter it, then I’ll spin to the baseline. But when I see that he starts playing me honest, not giving me right or left, then I’ll start to create my own shot, force him to commit before I make my move. And Kobe is the master at that. Also, once they started bringing double teams, I developed some tricks over the years that just come by experience. That’s what I shared with Kobe, the secret of what I was trying to do, not just a demonstration. Then it’s about repetition.

It would seem that it’d be difficult to retain all of that information in just a few hours, Hakeem? It’s obvious to say that Kobe’s one of the smarter and more cerebral players in the game, and natural to think his learning curve is a lot steeper than almost anybody’s. Did you find that to be true?

Olajuwon: Oh, no question. Because when I demonstrated the moves, he would quickly learn the secret behind the move. To him, it’s so easy because he has so many talents. With him, you only have to show him once. One time, and that’s it to make him comfortable. He’s just very natural. We spent 2-3 hours on some moves we’d repeat about 10-15 times, and towards the last 15 minutes of the session, he was flawless. When I took him to the airport, I could tell that he got it. He was excited. How many people can catch all that in such a short period of time? His ability, his knowledge and his talent is incredible. I was so privileged to be able to work with him.

I know you’ve worked with several other players on low post game, most recently Dwight Howard. Has anybody ever gotten things as quickly as Kobe? :lol

Olajuwon: No … No. I mean, look at what he’s coming in to start with! He has all these weapons. I showed him one move, and told him to use his reflexes as a guard, and he got it. Just by saying that to him, it clicked. All the moves were different from that point on. His reflexes are incredible. He’s a big guard, but he’s as quick as a little guy.

How different is it teaching a big man like Howard?

Olajuwon: The moves I taught to Howard are different from what I worked on with Kobe. He also has tremendous athletic ability, but the moves are a lot different because Kobe can move differently. For example, I didn’t do a lot of jump hooks with Kobe, but I would do a lot with Dwight. It took three days with Dwight. We had more time, and I give him tremendous credit also. But Kobe’s a guard posting up, and that’s always an (advantage). I’m a big guy, but when I face up my opponent, at that time I’m a small forward, I’m not a center any more. When Kobe’s posting his guy, he’s playing center. To have that kind of freedom, and (focus on) reading and reacting is the name of the game. If I’m bigger than a guy, why try to beat him outside? Go post him up. If you can do that like Kobe can (in addition to his other guard skills), it gives you something against everybody.

How do you put what Kobe’s done thus far in his career into context?

Olajuwon: People always compare Kobe with Michael Jordan, and that’s the highest level of achievement right there. Even being mentioned with MJ is the ultimate compliment. When Jordan retired, you just thought a player like that wouldn’t come along again. But then Kobe almost immediately drew those comparisons, and that says it all. He established his own identity as one of the best players to ever play the game.

If you look at the Top 10 all-time scorers, Kobe and Jordan are the only guards other than Oscar Robertson, who’s now 10th. Kobe used the word “feisty” to describe how the “little guys” got in there.

Olajuwon: Well, the two guard is the toughest position, the most athletic position. The average two would be a superstar at the four or five position with the skill set. So, for someone to dominate at the most difficult, the hardest position, it’s just something else. Both what set Kobe and Michael apart was that they were too big for most 2’s, and too mobile for most 3’s, so they have the advantage over most everybody. Very, very seldom do you find a player that matches up with them. If they’re as tall, they don’t have the same athletic ability or skills. Of course, it’s not just about having those physical advantages. The confidence and desire about their ability that they have, you can’t teach. It’s just a gift. That combination together? That’s a true leader that leads their team over and over to a championship. Individual accomplishments? Kobe is not worried about that, he just wants the championships. He’s a big picture guy. He’s playing to win, and when you play to win, everything else will follow. He’s scoring because he sees the opportunity to score.

That’s a good way to put it, with Jordan and Bryant really being that rare combination of physical and mental gifts.

Olajuwon: Yes, it’s so much more than just one or the other. Talent and intelligence and motivation.

Having spent some time with Kobe and taught him some things, what have you seen from him since?

Olajuwon: First of all, I was a fan of his before we worked together. I just have a tremendous admiration for him that he’s reached that level and is still wishing to improve. That says a lot. But now, I try to give him his space and I watch for an opportunity that we could get together again. But I don’t try to follow up. He knows where I am, and when he came to town, we had a chance to discuss how he’s feeling and how he feels about the moves. It was great (when L.A. played at Houston last season), especially when he winked at me. That was a treat.

Finally, I wanted to relay to you what Kobe said earlier this week after a Lakers practice. Quote: “"In my opinion, he is the best post player ever, with all due respect to Kevin McHale. Hakeem was phenominal."

Olajuwon: Wow, what an honor for him to say that. Coming from him that is the ultimate compliment for me.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110129kobehakeem.html

LkrFan
08-19-2013, 11:08 PM
D:loluble Up - get your hummingbird ass in here and :downspin: this shiiiiiiiiiittt!! :lmao

ElNono
08-19-2013, 11:08 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/168/697/34npc3l.jpg

spurraider21
08-19-2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/didnt-read-lol-chicken-gif.gif

StrengthAndHonor
08-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Its no secret Kobe's work ethic and offensive moves are top shelf. You can't say the same for Dwight. The bigger difference is each players approach when it comes to proving people wrong. Kobe's hell bent in making sure you'll never doubt his ability as a player, unfortunately that comes at the expense of watching him shoot the ball 9 x out of 10, efficiency and team chemistry be damned.

With Dwight, he's the type of guy whose willing to make himself look bad when the going gets tough and wveryones finger points at him. He likes being coddled and supported. Anything less and what you'll get is a half ass effort.

Technique
08-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Koolaid bro, I'll donate a $100 to the Get Koolaid_Man Laid Foundation. You really need pussy, that's your only hope to save you from being dick obsessed on a basketball forum. During off season.

Chief Brody
08-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Koolaid bro, I'll donate a $100 to the Get Koolaid_Man Laid Foundation. You really need pussy, that's your only hope to save you from being dick obsessed on a basketball forum. During off season.
Throw in a pair of white pants and you might have a deal.

spurraider21
08-20-2013, 12:14 AM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/2ic2p91.jpg <--- white pants, for those who can't see

Venti Quattro
08-20-2013, 12:26 AM
:lol Dwight Howard

whitemamba
08-20-2013, 12:27 AM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/2ic2p91.jpg <--- white pants, for those who can't see

:lol This shit gets me every time.

as for Kools post, that was actually a nice read, gotta respect the dream tbh.

AchillesHeel
08-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Lol at least have a correct thread title, he taught Dwight a different move, he didn't teach Kirby the jump hook.

Good job, good effort.

whitemamba
08-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Lol at least have a correct thread title, he taught Dwight a different move, he didn't teach Kirby the jump hook.

Good job, good effort.

for fucks sake, whos that girl in your sig...

AchillesHeel
08-20-2013, 12:54 AM
for fucks sake, whos that girl in your sig...

ariana grande

whitemamba
08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
ariana grande

googled her, shes aight, looks way hotter in that sig imo.

ambchang
08-20-2013, 06:07 AM
All that scoring talent and still managed to shoot in the mid 40s for his career.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-20-2013, 06:20 AM
The big black arm around his shoulder is the funniest part imo

Michael Jordan.
08-20-2013, 07:28 AM
So who taught Kobe how to win without a dominant big? I guess you can say he taught himself now that he needs two dominant bigs.

Captivus
08-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Kobe > D12....I dont think anyone has doubts about that.

AchillesHeel
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Only thing D12 will ever be elite in is defense. If this era had better defensive bigs like the early 2000s, D12 wouldn't be able to average 20 ppg on above 50% FG. I think after the back surgery it's safe to say he will never be as good as he was when he was ranked 2nd best in the league, last year whenever he went 1 v 1 with an average big man he never shot a decent %, he either turned it over or he went to the FT line for 2 bricks. That's who Dwight Howard is, a poor offensive big man that thrives on P&R when at his athletic peak due to speed and jumping ability. D12 I doubt will ever be a decent scorer in the post, if he was, he'd be the 2nd coming of Hakeem.

ambchang
08-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Kobe > D12....I dont think anyone has doubts about that.

I think Kobe fans finally realized that they can no longer compare Kobe to the GOAT (Jordan) and truly greats (Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird), so they are aiming at D12 and try to at least win a couple of skirmishes.

Can't fault them on that, got to build up that confidence in their demigod and make him look good. You put your girlfriend against Kate Upton and she's not gonna look too hot, but if you put her next to Khloe Kadarshian, she will look a lot better.

Michael Jordan.
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
I think Kobe fans finally realized that they can no longer compare Kobe to the GOAT (Jordan) and truly greats (Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Magic, Bird), so they are aiming at D12 and try to at least win a couple of skirmishes.

Can't fault them on that, got to build up that confidence in their demigod and make him look good. You put your girlfriend against Kate Upton and she's not gonna look too hot, but if you put her next to Khloe Kadarshian, she will look a lot better.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2580861/infinityjrue_medium.gif

AchillesHeel
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM
ambchang

Brazil
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Vash StampedE
08-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Hakeem, though, forgot to teach Kobe how to be a good teammate, let alone be one.

Leetonidas
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
o/u on how many times koolaid jerked off while reading this interview?

"OMG SOMEONE'S PRAISING KOBE HNNNNGGGG-"

D-Wade
08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCyU0sKxqI

#10 always gets me... how the hell did he catch up to Strickland?

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Jealously is not a virtue

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Good job, good effort.

The thread title is on point....if it takes Dwight 3 days to learn a jump hook when he's a center and been playing ball his whole life then then go fuck yourself

AchillesHeel
08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
The thread title is on point....if it takes Dwight 3 days to learn a jump hook when he's a center and been playing ball his whole life then then go fuck yourself

Dwight in 2011 after working out with Hakeem was pretty great on offense, shame he forgot those moves after he joined the Lakers :lol

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
seriously yall can hate but look at how fast Kobe learns this shit....like Hakeem said..no one has ever picked it up that fast...3 days? :lol I think not...:lol@Dwight

vww3lmLQQGM

cC5fkye1-dI

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Dwight in 2011 after working out with Hakeem was pretty great on offense, shame he forgot those moves after he joined the Lakers :lol

and this is something else Kobe doesn't get credit for...after having the insight to improve his game and being the first player to go to Hakeem for advice..guess who's the first to copy Kobe....you guessed it..Lebronze..., then Melo, the Stoudamire, then Dwight...all these niggas copying Kobe....

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Kobe then Dunks on Hakeem :lmao

IV2KY3RJaCI

whitemamba
08-20-2013, 01:39 PM
seriously yall can hate but look at how fast Kobe learns this shit....like Hakeem said..no one has ever picked it up that fast...3 days? :lol I think not...:lol@Dwight

vww3lmLQQGM

cC5fkye1-dI

Some game time footage :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLp3Rwihbmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4zD7---X4

ambchang
08-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Jealously is not a virtue

So stop being jealous of GOAT Jordan.

ambchang
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM

No objectives from me, I have always maintained that Kobe Bryant is the best of all time in copying others, from game to mannerisms to nicknames, Kobe can copy with the best of them.

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
So stop being jealous of GOAT Jordan.

we got a big man on the Lakers with 6 rings too....plus he's scored more points career wise than MJ...once Kobe gets one more and passes MJ on the all-time scoring list next year...that will mark the end of Spur fan and the MJ troll

ShowtimeFan
08-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Saw this coming a mile away. Why even mention Kobe and D12 in the same breath? C'mon Kool, that's lobbin up a softball just waiting to be hit out of the park.

ambchang
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
we got a big man on the Lakers with 6 rings too....plus he's scored more points career wise than MJ...once Kobe gets one more and passes MJ on the all-time scoring list next year...that will mark the end of Spur fan and the MJ troll

Which sort of tells you # of rings and points is sort of a useless measure.

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Which sort of tells you # of rings and points is sort of a useless measure.

all I know is

Kobe 5
TOSB 6

Double-Up
08-20-2013, 04:12 PM
all I know is

Kobe 5
TOSB 6

All I know is your bitch is ugly Cedric...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/208162_193942993981446_5108289_n.jpg

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
All I know is your bitch is ugly Cedric...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/208162_193942993981446_5108289_n.jpg

at least the monkey pics were entertaining...you guys are just downright boring now....the only people that believes that's Kool are the ones he wants to believe it... come at me bro :lol

PS: I'm going white water rafting now :hat

Baseline
08-21-2013, 02:25 AM
:lmao Fucking Awesome Dude.... Whoa Man this interview is EPIC!!!! :lmao@Rockets fan

Hakeem pays Kobe the utmost respect...I don't think he'll come right out and say it but based on his comments below it appears Kobe was the smartest player he's ever worked with...

He’s mentioned that he also worked with you on dealing with double teams as well as some specific moves. How would you describe the session?

How would you describe how you operated around the paint, and how you tried to impart certain facets of your game upon Bryant?

It would seem that it’d be difficult to retain all of that information in just a few hours, Hakeem? It’s obvious to say that Kobe’s one of the smarter and more cerebral players in the game, and natural to think his learning curve is a lot steeper than almost anybody’s. Did you find that to be true?

I know you’ve worked with several other players on low post game, most recently Dwight Howard. Has anybody ever gotten things as quickly as Kobe? :lol

How different is it teaching a big man like Howard?

How do you put what Kobe’s done thus far in his career into context?

If you look at the Top 10 all-time scorers, Kobe and Jordan are the only guards other than Oscar Robertson, who’s now 10th. Kobe used the word “feisty” to describe how the “little guys” got in there.

[B]That’s a good way to put it, with Jordan and Bryant really being that rare combination of physical and mental gifts.

Having spent some time with Kobe and taught him some things, what have you seen from him since?

Finally, I wanted to relay to you what Kobe said earlier this week after a Lakers practice. Quote: “"In my opinion, he is the best post player ever, with all due respect to Kevin McHale. Hakeem was phenominal."

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110129kobehakeem.html This is a whole lot of jabber about a guy whose never - and will never - shoot even 47% in a single season. Bryant's whole career has been one showboat move after another...and more missed shots than any player in history. Missed shots while open big men stand in the paint, and angry teammates sprint to the offensive glass. It's cute that Hakeem is all giddy about Bryant winking at him, but please, call me when Bryant shoots 50% for even one season. Still waiting for that call...

lefty
08-21-2013, 03:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOcZRQ4CUAAZf9w.jpg

Vash StampedE
08-21-2013, 03:47 AM
Who cares? Basketball is a team game and Kobe hasn't addressed that for 15 or how long his career has been.

ambchang
08-21-2013, 06:35 AM
While Yi Jinliang looked good against cones, Kobe looked good posting up air.

Koolaid_Man
08-21-2013, 07:15 AM
This is a whole lot of jabber about a guy whose never - and will never - shoot even 47% in a single season. Bryant's whole career has been one showboat move after another...and more missed shots than any player in history. Missed shots while open big men stand in the paint, and angry teammates sprint to the offensive glass. It's cute that Hakeem is all giddy about Bryant winking at him, but please, call me when Bryant shoots 50% for even one season. Still waiting for that call...

^ ok calm down...I will call...just make sure you answer on the 5th ring :lol

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:22 AM
http://www.bsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bryant-Shot-Chart.png

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:24 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/784/902/Clutch_ShotChart_original.jpg?1364383050

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:25 AM
http://www.forumblueandgold.com/wp-content/Dist-Charts.jpg

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:27 AM
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4f0d98156bb3f7b07a000013/kobe-bryant.jpg

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:30 AM
http://www.scoresreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/kobe-Bryant-Flow-Chart.jpg

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Utah Jazz
Game 5
Miss
Bryant misses a game tying shot with 4 seconds left.

San Antonio Spurs
Game 2
Miss
Bryant misses a game tying shot at the end of regulation

Phoenix Suns
Game 2
Make
Bryant makes a game winning shot with 2 seconds left

Philidephia 76ers
Game 1
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 20 seconds left.

San Antonio Spurs
Game 2
Miss
Bryant misses a game tying shot at regulation

San Antonio Spurs
Game 4
Make
Bryant makes a game winning shot with 5 seconds left

Sacramento Kings
Game 4
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 4 seconds left

Sacramento Kings
Game 5
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 8 seconds left

Sacramento Kings
Game 7
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning tip shot with 8 seconds left

Minnesota Timberwolves
Game 3
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot in OT with 13 seconds left.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Game 3
Miss
Bryant misses a game tying shot in OT with 2 seconds left

San Antonio Spurs
Game 1
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 13 seconds left.

Houston Rockets
Game 1
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 17 seconds left.

Houston Rockets
Game 4
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 3 seconds left.

San Antonio Spurs
Game 5
Make
Bryant makes a game winning shot attempt with 12 seconds left.

Detroit Pistons
Game 2
Make
Bryant makes a game tying shot at the buzzer.

Phoenix Suns
Game 4
Make
Bryant makes a game tying shot with one second left.

Phoenix Suns
Game 4
Make
Bryant makes a game winning shot at the buzzer.

Phoenix Suns
Game 6
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 6 seconds left.

San Antonio Spurs
Game 1
Make
Bryant makes the game winning shot with 23 seconds left.

Utah Jazz
Game 3
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 2 seconds left.

Orlando Magic
Game 2
Miss
Bryant has his game winning shot blocked with 8 sec left.

Oklahoma City Thunder
Game 6
Miss
Bryant misses game winning shot with .5 seconds left.

Phoenix Suns
Game 5
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot with 3 seconds left.

Dallas Mavericks
Game 1
Miss
Bryant misses a game winning shot at the end of regulation

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
as Henry Abbott pointed out, from 1996-January 28th 2011, Kobe is just 36/115 in the final 24 seconds of a game with the Lakers trailing by three of fewer points.)

Michael Jordan.
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Defensive Rating (Points by the opposition with Kobe on the floor per 100 possessions, with the league average in parentheses):
2005: 111 (103.1)
2006: 105 (103.4)
2007: 109 (103.7)
2008: 105 (104.7)
2009: 106 (105.4)
2010: 104 (104.9)
2011: 105 (104.5)
2012: 106 (101.8)

Koolaid_Man
08-21-2013, 08:28 AM
here's a stat request for you MJ...how many viles of cocaine did you burn in your pipe this morning? :lol

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/Stk_zpsf99d2fa7.jpg

Clipper Nation
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
:lol Cedi-Bear butthurt about these Kirby truth bombs
:lol Kirby = most overrated player of all time

Katherine Robinson
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Boiled down:::

Kobe Bryant: 1 hour

Johnny apple seed: 72 hours

elmanutres
08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Laker fan still coming off the effects from The Begging

AchillesHeel
08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/784/902/Clutch_ShotChart_original.jpg?1364383050

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq9tvozW7h1qe0gvc.gif

DMC
08-21-2013, 03:24 PM

I would have paid money to watch those two dance IRL.

Calispursfan11
08-21-2013, 03:28 PM

as for Kools post, that was actually a nice read, gotta respect the dream tbh.

The white pants gaffe has been voted of the four most embarrassing things in ST history tbh :lol