PDA

View Full Version : RealGM: Spurs interested in James Johnson

Uriel
08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
James Johnson Will Work Out For Spurs, Hawks, JazzAug 21, 2013 11:48 AM EDT

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Johnson_James_chi_110310.jpgFree agent forward James Johnson will attend workouts for the San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz and is hoping to leave teams impressed, league sources told RealGM.
Ever since Johnson was drafted 16th in the 2009 NBA draft, teams have envisioned him as an athletic forward at 6-foot-9, but he’s yet to put together a breakout season in four years.
Johnson’s ability to perform in workout settings could have one team intrigued enough to give him an opportunity, though.
Johnson played a complete season with the Chicago Bulls in 2009-10, but he was traded to the Toronto Raptors the next year and averaged 9.1 points and 4.7 rebounds in 2011-12. Johnson, 26, spent last season as mostly a reserve for the Sacramento Kings.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/229488/James-Johnson-Will-Work-Out-For-Spurs-Hawks-Jazz

benefactor
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
:lol news starved Spur fan

ace3g
08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
not quick enough to play SF

Spur|n|Austin
08-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd take him.

loveforthegame
08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I liked what I saw with the Kings last year. Nothing flashy but can do a little of everything.

Do the Spurs envision him as a backup SF? I know he played both positions with the Kings. Not a bad option all things considered.

ohmwrecker
08-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd take him.

Would you take anyone at this point? Be honest.

Bruno
08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't really see Spurs being interested in him at the SF spot mostly because of his lack of shooting range but he would be a nice option as a mobile PF. Adding a mobile PF like Johnson would reduce the "hole" at the backup SF spot because it would allow Spurs to avoid playing small ball with Kawhi at the 4.

Richard Simmons
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
dumpster diving :lol

Bruno
08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't know if it's a coincidence but the three teams working him out have a "Spurs" GM.

kobexxx
08-21-2013, 03:25 PM
another Kawhi

ace3g
08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
another Kawhi

? Not even in the same universe Kawhi > JJ by large margin

Spur|n|Austin
08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Would you take anyone at this point? Be honest.

Nah - not anyone, I feel like Mugsy would be too short to back up KL.

Budkin
08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Who the hell is left? We need someone.

HI-FI
08-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Who the hell is left? We need someone.

Luke Bonner ftw

SpurPadre
08-21-2013, 04:39 PM
dumpster diving :lol

Grizzlies fan, LOL.

rick1991
08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Richard Hamilton

siraulo23
08-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh shit multiple teams interested, spurs wont get him

hooperflash
08-21-2013, 07:44 PM
https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/3901_10200568423432757_667868106_n.jpg

Dverde
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Pass...Turkoglu and Pietrus are still out there.

ceperez
08-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Turkoglu .... thought he was banned.

rick1991
08-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Turkoglu hasn't been bought out yet

TrainOfThought5
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Turkoglu?!?!?!?! ......Whats the word on RJs availability??

rayray2k8
08-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Turkoglu?!?!?!?! ......Whats the word on RJs availability??

I kinda laughed pretty hard at this. :lol

outmap
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Great defender, can't shoot. Pass.

Strategic
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
:lol news starved Spur fanThat makes three of us.

exstatic
08-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Pietrus worked out for a team that didn't want to be named a few days ago...

:stirpot:

exstatic
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Back to the thread. I completely whiffed on this guy. Usually, I can remember the first rounders from the last 8-10 drafts, and when I heard they worked him out, I said "who?".

He doesn't finish well in the paint, and shoots sub 30% from mid range. It wouldn't shock me if they were looking for Toros talent. He's a HUGE project, and 26 already.

rick1991
08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Great defender, can't shoot. Pass.

Would be a good body to throw at KD and Lebron/Wade.

spursnatic
08-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Do it I have liked this dude for a long time..Believe he could play SF ?..Think they have him listed as a PF?..

Darkwaters
08-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Nah - not anyone, I feel like Mugsy would be too short to back up KL.

5'3 SF? Seems legit.

montgod
08-21-2013, 11:28 PM
It will be a D league prospect that they sign for 3 days.. and then cut. Repeat that 20 times throughout the season with some being the same player and others being different players and you have the next Spur signing. Count it!

xmas1997
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
It will be a D league prospect that they sign for 3 days.. and then cut. Repeat that 20 times throughout the season with some being the same player and others being different players and you have the next Spur signing. Count it!

Yup, that's why that 15th roster spot is still open!

Baseline
08-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Nah - not anyone, I feel like Mugsy would be too short to back up KL. I played with Muggs, and he's not even 5'3" -- he's 5'2" on a good day. Good dude, though. Will get you the ball when and where you need it. Always.

TD 21
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Even though he can defend SF's, I can't imagine the Spurs viewing a player who's the size of a PF, with virtually no perimeter skills, as an SF (this is what doomed Brown last year). In theory, it sounds great to have someone with his physical tools as an insurance Durant/James defender, but Pop would never play him in a series against either and given how short they are on viable options to defend them, that should be a prime factor in whoever get's this spot.

This is why, one way or another, we're ultimately headed for some uninspiring, hanging by a thread veteran, such as Pietrus, Howard, etc., being signed. But unless they're one of the three teams at Pietrus' workout next month, are reasonably impressed and he's ready to accept a non guaranteed contract, they probably hold off on this until after they inevitably strike out at the trade deadline/buy out period and with the young players they try leading up to that point.

Bruno
08-23-2013, 12:56 AM
There is also some kind of consistency with Spurs being interested in Johnson. Over the years, they have looked for a mobile shotblocking PF. They tried to sign Amir Johnson and Andrei Kirilenko, were rumored to be interested in Tyrus Thomas and Josh Smith, take a look at Andray Blatche, signed Marcus Haislip, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Malcolm Thomas...

Spurs have unsuccessfully looked for a long time at that weakside shotblocker.

G-Dawgg
08-23-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm from Canada so I watch the Raptors regularly and I saw him play a lot. I can tell you that this guy is good. He's big, athletic and pretty quick for his size and is good offensively. He could definitely become an excellent player. He's not the interior banger/defender that most people want but he's got a well rounded game.

mountainballer
08-23-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm from Canada so I watch the Raptors regularly and I saw him play a lot. I can tell you that this guy is good. He's big, athletic and pretty quick for his size and is good offensively. He could definitely become an excellent player. He's not the interior banger/defender that most people want but he's got a well rounded game.

did he play more SF or PF? and how did he look defending the perimeter vs. quicker wing player?

exstatic
08-23-2013, 07:17 AM

If that were all true, why is he still hanging out waiting for a minimum deal in late August?

Spursfanfromafar
08-23-2013, 07:55 AM
He was the worst player in the bad Kings team last year. He seems to have some tools and is a hustle player. If he impresses the Spurs in workouts, maybe they will invite him to training camp a la Eddy Curry/ Brown last year. Lets see. I don't have too many hopes though.

mountainballer
08-23-2013, 03:49 PM
He was the worst player in the bad Kings team last year.
I don't blame any player to have played bad on a bad team. there is a reason why the bad teams are bad. and if it even wasn't your choice to go there, your motivation to not play bad might have been quite small. that said, yes, this was a really disappointing show and likely the reason why he is still on the market.
well, I'm still more and more intrigued. it's not that we are searching for a starter. we look for a say #10 or 11 in the rotation. JJ definitely has the size and talent to fill such a role. looking at this guy, he seems very influenced by the environment. and he won't find a better than in SA. I would give this a chance.

exstatic
08-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't blame any player to have played bad on a bad team. there is a reason why the bad teams are bad. and if it even wasn't your choice to go there, your motivation to not play bad might have been quite small. that said, yes, this was a really disappointing show and likely the reason why he is still on the market.
well, I'm still more and more intrigued. it's not that we are searching for a starter. we look for a say #10 or 11 in the rotation. JJ definitely has the size and talent to fill such a role. looking at this guy, he seems very influenced by the environment. and he won't find a better than in SA. I would give this a chance.

Rotation? He's likely a training camp body if they sign him at all.

People here just get too over the top crazy over any snippet relating to the Spurs. Some dude signed in late August or September won't be in the rotation, and probably won't make the 15.

mountainballer
08-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Rotation? He's likely a training camp body if they sign him at all.

People here just get too over the top crazy over any snippet relating to the Spurs. Some dude signed in late August or September won't be in the rotation, and probably won't make the 15.

common, take your time to read what you quote. Spurs have a few minutes to fill at backup SF and PF. that sums up to 10-15 minutes. and that will be a borderline rotation slot. the player you need for that slot is a combo forward like JJ. he has the talent for that role. (as I said, we don't talk starter or higher rotation spot here) he just didn't get his stuff together yet.
and I would give it another try. that's a bit different from going crazy.

G-Dawgg
08-24-2013, 08:35 PM
When he was in Toronto he took over the the starting position from a smaller Sonny Weems and he played defense well. He mostly played the 3, but he was a really big 3. He's not as slow as people say but by no means is he an athletic specimen. He is just a good 2 way player with good size for a 3. I don't know what happened to him after Toronto, I didn't follow him after that, but I can honestly say that he played well when he was on the Raptors. He was ok at rebounding, he had some range on his jumper and could even hit some 3's and a pretty good defender. He is pretty well rounded on offense and defense from what I remember. I really don't know why Toronto didn't keep him around...

wildbill2u
08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
"I really don't know why Toronto didn't keep him around..."

One simple answer is that teams usually don't keep players around after a season or two is if they think he's not good enough for their team and someone else might be better. I think that's the way it works.

TD 21
08-26-2013, 04:07 PM
They let him go because he was goofy and immature. Couple that with the fact that he's a virtual non shooter and it's safe to say, this is more than likely due diligence than anything.