PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart goes environmental

Clandestino
07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Wal-Mart testing new store type in N. Texas

Web Posted: 07/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Steve Quinn
Associated Press

McKINNEY — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. was seeing green, but it wasn't just a view of the company's cash registers.

The retailer's first environmentally friendly and energy-efficient store opened Wednesday morning in this North Texas city.

"We want to push this thing to the limit," said Don Moseley, manager of experimental projects for Wal-Mart, which is based in Bentonville, Ark.

"We don't expect everything to work, but with every component of our business, we want to be more sustainable, more economical or more environmentally responsible."

The 206,000-square-foot building has the familiar look of Wal-Mart vastness, but there is something immediately different, with the 120-foot-tall wind turbine in front of the store and the rainwater harvesting pond on its east side.

The turbine, which will produce about 5 percent of the store's energy, is one of about 26 potentially cost-saving items Wal-Mart wants to review. The pond is designed to provide 95 percent of the water needed for irrigation.

The company said there are additional starting costs for the conservation efforts, but would not elaborate on the price.

"We want to see if this can save us some money and keep our costs down," said Gus Whitcomb, Wal-Mart's area director of corporate affairs. "It will be awhile before we know."

The company would like some of the features in the store's design, in the works for two years, to one day be viewed as routine.

For example:

Waterless urinals in the bathrooms, saving about a gallon of water per usage.

Recycled cooking oil from the store's deli and engine oil from the auto center used to help heat the building.

Climate control measures and alternative refrigeration units that are projected to save enough electricity to power 135 single-family homes for a year.

The store's opening comes as Wal-Mart has been working to polish its image as that of an employee- and community-friendly corporation.

In April, the company earmarked $35 million over 10 years to help the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation conserve one acre of priority habitat for each acre developed.

Analyst Al Meyers of Retail Forward Inc. said he'll be watching the development of the store and the company's environmental efforts closely.

"This is a little counterintuitive, because they are a bare-bones, lowest-operational-expense company in the industry," he said.

"You wouldn't necessarily expect them to be cutting-edge until something is tried, true and proven, but they really have been leaders on a lot of fronts."

Wal-Mart's Moseley said the company chose to launch its experiment in this city of 92,000 because it has a traditional store nearby to gauge the progress of the new building.

Additionally, McKinney sits just outside a large metropolitan market, with Dallas 30 miles to the south. An airport readily accessible to the company's corporate jet fleet is 5 miles away.

The North Texas area has served the company well when testing new ideas, Wal-Mart's Whitcomb said.

Wal-Mart is also using the area to test product tracking technology, 24-hour pharmacies and an online feature that allows consumers to order products not found in stores via the Internet and have them shipped to the nearest Supercenter.

A second experimental store is under construction in Aurora, Colo.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Lookin' for a cheap date? Try Wal-Mart
The food, makeup, underwear is at "Everyday low prices" but a Wal-Mart "date" could be for free.
April 15, 2005: 7:34 AM EDT
By Parija Bhatnagar, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Just when you thought you'd heard it all from the king of discount shopping, Wal-Mart is now pitching itself as the new dating hot spot -- with everyday low prices to boot.

In fact, the Bentonville, Ark.-based retailer's been playing Cupid to hundreds of lonely single German shoppers for well over a year now.

According to Amy Wyatt, spokeswoman for the retailer's international operations, Wal-Mart's been running its "Singles Shopping" campaign in all of its 91 stores in Germany.

Here's how its works.

On Friday nights, singles looking for romance, mindless flirting or just a new friend head over to their neighborhood Wal-Mart where they're given a big bright red bow to attach to their shopping cart or shopping basket.

Then it's up to the willing participants to approach one another and take it from there.

But if that's too intimidating, Wal-Mart has set up "flirting points" around the stores stacked with "romantic" merchandise, such as chocolates, wine and cheese, to help with that first awkward step.

Said Wyatt, "The singles night runs for two hours in the evening, from 6 to 8 p.m. every week. Our managers there told us that its been hugely successful and has actually boosted store traffic and sales in a lot of markets in Germany. In some stores we're getting 300 to 400 people taking part every week."

Wal-Mart (Research) feels so good about the idea that the retailer trademarked the "Singles Shopping" slogan in Germany and is also testing it in its stores in Puerto Rico, South Korea and Britain.

Someday, it could even pop up in a few of its U.S. stores. Wyatt said she's been working on her counterparts responsible for Wal-Mart's U.S. operations to actively give it a try, though no firm timetable has been set.

The singles campaign was the brainchild of a few of Wal-Mart's German associates who came up with the concept one day when they overhead a female customer talking about how difficult it was for her to meet interesting single men on a Friday night.

"This was a middle-aged woman who felt she was maybe too old to go to nightclubs," Wyatt said. "That's pretty much been the theme here where most of the singles are middle-aged to older customers."

"Singles Shopping" isn't the only match-making idea Wal-Mart's trying out. Wyatt said some of the German stores also feature singles bulletin boards with pictures of single men and women who frequently shop at Wal-Mart.

"If you're interested, up can post a picture of yourself with a few details," Wyatt said. "The store gives you your own box kept at the store. If someone is interested, they'll fill out a card with their information and drop it in the box."

How successful has the campaign been?

"We've heard that one couple that met on singles night is now married," Wyatt said.

"Another cute story," she continued, "is of a 74-year-old woman who posted her picture. A 74-year-old man saw it but was nervous to drop his card in her box. So the Wal-Mart associates first got him spruced up at the hairdressers at the Wal-Mart store, took a picture, and posted it on the board. I think the two of them are now seeing each other."

To read about CEO Lee Scott firing back at Wal-Mart critics, click here.

And click here to learn about which retailers are outsmarting Wal-Mart. Top of page

Find this article at:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/07/news/fortune500/walmart_dating

Clandestino
07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
pretty cool! but all i can say is... Crazy ass Germans!

Shelly
07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I think the Roanoke, VA stores were doing this also.

SW and I have picked up a few Wal-Mart greeters in our day......

Clandestino
07-21-2005, 09:10 AM
those 80 year old retirees???!!!

Shelly
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
http://images.radcity.net/3178/881953.jpg

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
http://images.radcity.net/3178/881953.jpg

Laugh all you want, but you should see what he can do with the return-sticker-gun-thingy... :smokin

*drool*

cmc$purs
07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
girls lets settle down,my grandpa is not a piece of meat for your pleasure

gramps says mind my own biz :lol dirty old man i want to be just like him :spin

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 11:15 AM
:lol

Yeah, Wal Mart has a shitload of pressure on them to reform. They get a hell of a lot of bad press now, and it does effect the botom line.

Anyhow, call me skeptical, but the largest water polluter in the history of the United States isn't quite going to get me as a customer with one bullshit store.

Jekka
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Yeah, Wal Mart has a shitload of pressure on them to reform. They get a hell of a lot of bad press now, and it does effect the botom line.

Anyhow, call me skeptical, but the largest water polluter in the history of the United States isn't quite going to get me as a customer with one bullshit store.

I'm waiting for them to abandon even more buildings to build more "enviro-friendly" ones. Fuckers leave empty buildings all over the place.

Summers
07-21-2005, 01:52 PM

Whatever. My personal boycott of Wal-Mart continues. And believe me, with the amount of money I spend on Fisher-Price toys, they are missing my business!! :lol

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
How many people in here boycott Walmart?

Me
Jess
Summers
?

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Why am I supposed to boycott Walmart?

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 01:55 PM

Because it's one of Manny's causes.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Did I ask you 2 to boycott Walmart? I asked how many people in here do. Shop where you want, I've been through it before and if you have no problem shopping there, then do so.

Summers
07-21-2005, 01:58 PM

So many reasons, but the final straw for me was when they banned Jon Stewart's book. :lol I loves me some Jon Stewart. I have a fantasy that Timmy will make a guest appearance on the Daily Show. Two men I think are incredibly hot talking about politics and stuff... *sigh*

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Did I ask you 2 to boycott Walmart? I asked how many people in here do. Shop where you want, I've been through it before and if you have no problem shopping there, then do so.

No reason to get testy. I think she was asking you a real question and doesn't know why one would boycott Walmart.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
They banned Stewarts book? What the hell? On what grounds?

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Believe it or not, I do not hang on your every post Manny....I have no idea what your problem with Walmart is, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Summers
07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
They banned Stewarts book? What the hell? On what grounds?

It has nude pictures of the Supreme Court justices. That wouldn't be nearly as funny if it weren't true.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 02:02 PM
SW,

Boycott Wal-Mart because TARGET is better!

However, I can come out of Wal-Mart spending less than $50! :lol

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
SW,

Boycott Wal-Mart because TARGET is better!

However, I can come out of Wal-Mart spending less than $50! :lol

LJ and I were talking about your Target addiction last night. We never buy anything at Target and spend hundreds of dollars at Walmart nearly every week :lol We're your opposite!

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't have a Super Target by me anywhere, otherwise I would. But they just built a new Super Walmart right by my house and a lot of their stuff is cheaper than HEB.

Plus, where else can you go to get some apples, a gallon of milk, a printer, a chainsaw, and a pair of socks all under one roof??

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
They are supposed to build an HEB+ in Kyle, Tx in the next year or so... It is supposed to be like a super Walmart with groceries and general goods. Haven't heard a lot of updates on that, though, so it may have fallen through.

Summers
07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
I love Target. And I used to do all my shopping at the Super Wal-Mart, except for fresh stuff, like produce and meat. Maybe in San Marcos, we get the scrub stuff, but HEB is the bomb for meat and produce.

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I love Target. And I used to do all my shopping at the Super Wal-Mart, except for fresh stuff, like produce and meat. Maybe in San Marcos, we get the scrub stuff, but HEB is the bomb for meat and produce.

Oh, forgot about that part...

HEB vegetables >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Walmart...

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Plus, where else can you go to get some apples, a gallon of milk, a printer, a chainsaw, and a pair of socks all under one roof??

My favorite thing to do in line at Walmart to pass the time is check out the really weird combinations of things people have in their baskets.... :oops :lol

Kori Ellis
HEB vegetables >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Walmart...

I used to never buy meat or vegetables at Walmart (in fact it grossed me out). The one at 1604/281 sucks for that stuff. But the one near us on Bandera is actually better than HEB for most fresh food. So I guess it depends on the Walmart.

MannyIsGod
Believe it or not, I do not hang on your every post Manny....I have no idea what your problem with Walmart is, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.
Yeah, you ask a question in a sarcastic manner, Kori follows it up with a sarcastic answer, and I'm told not to get testy and that people don't hang on my every word.

My bad? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

SWC Bonfire
Garden vegetables>>>>>>>>>Supermarket :lol

N.Y. Johnny
07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
How many people in here boycott Walmart?

Me
Jess
Summers
?

I hate the place and avoid it like a plague, goin to other places like Target or HEB. They pissed me off with a stink they had over Maxim Magazines being 'too racy' for the shelves and refused to carry them.

:flipoff fuck Wal Mart

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, you ask a question in a sarcastic manner, Kori follows it up with a sarcastic answer, and I'm told not to get testy and that people don't hang on my every word.

I'll just assume you are on your period and ignore you. Because you are acting like a pussy.

You ride everyone night and day and now you can't handle one (serious) question by SW and one sarcastic line by me.

:flipoff

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 02:15 PM

My reply wasn't sarcastic. Quit being so paranoid.

Summers
07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
I used to never buy meat or vegetables at Walmart (in fact it grossed me out). The one at 1604/281 sucks for that stuff. But the one near us on Bandera is actually better than HEB for most fresh food. So I guess it depends on the Walmart.

Also, you can't get organic stuff at Wal-Mart (not in the meat department anyway), and I buy those when I can, 'cause, ya know, I'm a liberal pussy. :lol

Down, boy! I didn't think they were being sarcastic. *shrug*

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
I'll just assume you are on your period and ignore you. Because you are acting like a pussy.

You ride everyone night and day and now you can't handle one (serious) question by SW and one sarcastic line by me.

:flipoff
How exactly am I not handling it? You were the one who said don't get testy, not me.

bigzak25
there are alot of hot babies mama's at the walmart on ih10 and vance jackson. just fyi. :tu

me? i mostly goto heb or costco. but i'll drop by target on occasion. i'm not too fond of walmart either...i really don't know why...oh, except christmas time, i like to buy lights there.

MannyIsGod
My reply wasn't sarcastic. Quit being so paranoid.
Fair enough.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
How exactly am I not handling it? You were the one who said don't get testy, not me.

You are acting like a bitch. SW asked you a serious question and you got on your high horse.

Get off.

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
There's nothing! Don't you understand?! Nothing can stop the Wall*Mart in your town! ...Unless...of course, you can find and destroy its heart.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
You are acting like a bitch. SW asked you a serious question and you got on your high horse.

Get off.
What the fuck? On my high horse? Kori, YOU, were the one who came in before I could even say anything and were already PUTTING me on my high house by saying "it's one of Manny's causes".

I never said a damn thing!

Then when I do say something, I'm not supposed to get testy because you know, I'm on the rag and i'm a pussy blah blah blah.

Maybe you should take some of your own advice in this thread.

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
^^^^Old Cowboy Saying:

Saddle your hoss before cussing the boss.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
What the fuck? On my high horse? Kori, YOU, were the one who came in before I could even say anything and were already PUTTING me on my high house by saying "it's one of Manny's causes".

I never said a damn thing!

Then when I do say something, I'm not supposed to get testy because you know, I'm on the rag and i'm a pussy blah blah blah.

Maybe you should take some of your own advice in this thread.

Manny -- I said a sarcastic remark about one of your causes and you were already going off at SW asking the question on why should she (or anyone) boycott Walmart. The rest of what followed was me responding to your fucking attitude to her when she was asking a serious question.

You are an asshole in this thread.. and you hate getting called on it. You talk down to people with that fucking attitude like you did to her when she asked the question and you expect people to bow down to you. That's a high horse.

mookie2001
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
hostility

walmart does suck though
its so big that it works against them
although sometimes you really do need to save 90 cents
and they already ran out all the little guys where i live

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Manny -- I said a sarcastic remark about one of your causes and you were already going off at SW asking the question on why should she (or anyone) boycott Walmart. The rest of what followed was me responding to your fucking attitude to her when she was asking a serious question.

You are an asshole in this thread.. and you hate getting called on it. You talk down to people with that fucking attitude like you did to her when she asked the question and you expect people to bow down to you. That's a high horse.
Damn Kori, thats the second time in less than a month you've called me an asshole. Tell me how you really feel.

You made a remark, I made one back, yet I'm on my high horse. Kinda funny, becasue I look around and I see other people on theirs, as well. So I'm not too lonely.

Anyhow, I'm going to go pop in a tampon (which I bought at Target) because I don't want my trusty steed to get all bloody. Hopefully today is my only heavy flow day. Toodles.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM

I was shopping at the Bandera one and it's a lot cheaper than HEB, but I didn't like their produce at all and their stupid carts are way too small. (I shop when I'm out of everything).

Which HEB do you go to? I hate the one on Guilbeau and used to go to Albertson's for that reason. But I love the HEB on on 1604/Bandera and have always gotten good produce.

And in case anyone didn't see it in my Target thread....

THE SWIFFER VAC RULES!

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Manny, you call yourself an asshole all the time. You know how you act sometimes, it's not a secret. You treated SW's question wrong. If you didn't want to repeat your Walmart stance, that's fine and dandy, but you overreacted to her question.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I apologized for it. Christy knows not to take me seriously. You do too.

T Park
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Wal Mart is hated because they make lots of money and do it cheap, so that middle to lower classes of people can buy nice stuff cheap.

But the real reason? They are conservative and they are cheap.

Heaven forbid they dont sell what they dont WANT to.

HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I was shopping at the Bandera one and it's a lot cheaper than HEB, but I didn't like their produce at all and their stupid carts are way too small. (I shop when I'm out of everything).

Which HEB do you go to? I hate the one on Guilbeau and used to go to Albertson's for that reason. But I love the HEB on on 1604/Bandera and have always gotten good produce.

And in case anyone didn't see it in my Target thread....

THE SWIFFER VAC RULES!

We go to both HEB's (1604/Bandera and the Guilbeau one). I don't really care too much where I shop for groceries between Walmart and HEB .. the only reason we end up going to Walmart more often is because it's open late. (We usually grocery shop between 2-4am)

bigzak25
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM

HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

i sense sarcasm.

kris
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
So wait, I'm new to this thing. Why boycott Wal-Mart? I don't do all that much shopping but I am not 100% any store.

Summers
THE SWIFFER VAC RULES!

I LOVE my Swiffer Wet Jet. It's seriously one of the greatest inventions ever.

Shelly
We go to both HEB's (1604/Bandera and the Guilbeau one). I don't really care too much where I shop for groceries between Walmart and HEB .. the only reason we end up going to Walmart more often is because it's open late. (We usually grocery shop between 2-4am)

Well, if you ever see someone someone with a cart piled a mile high and quite possibly two kids punching each other, that would be me!

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:39 PM
So wait, I'm new to this thing. Why boycott Wal-Mart? I don't do all that much shopping but I am not 100% any store.
Did I ask you to boycott Walmart? I just.... nevermind.

Summers
07-21-2005, 02:41 PM

HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

But if they're going to take a political stand on what they will and won't sell, then it shouldn't surprise them when customers take a political stand when it comes to spending their money there.

http://www.indyweek.com/durham/2002-05-08/news.html

Shelly
07-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I LOVE my Swiffer Wet Jet. It's seriously one of the greatest inventions ever.

I have that too! But I love the Vac better! It's great, especially for pet hair.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Shelly, how much was your Swiffer Vac?

T Park
07-21-2005, 02:43 PM
But if they're going to take a political stand on what they will and won't sell, then it shouldn't surprise them when customers take a political stand when it comes to spending their money there.

why does it have to be political.

They chose not to sell CDs with explicit lyrics and a book with a guy who thinks hes funny with naked supreme court justices.

I love how libs constantly want to worry about our rights, but yet are always first in line to want to regulate business.

kris
07-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Did I ask you to boycott Walmart? I just.... nevermind.

Manny, I'm sorry if my question was worded wrong or you didn't like it. Let me try to rephrase it.

Why do you choose to boycott Wal-Mart?

Shelly
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Shelly, how much was your Swiffer Vac?

Target had it for $28 and some change, but I had a $5 off coupon.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper at Wal-Mart :lol

Summers
07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
why does it have to be political.

I love how libs constantly want to worry about our rights, but yet are always first in line to want to regulate business.

I didn't say I wanted to regulate their business. I just don't spend my money there. But...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-02-02-walmart_x.htm

Wal-Mart widens political reach, giving primarily to GOP
By Jim Hopkins, USA TODAY
Wal-Mart (WMT), the USA's biggest company, is beefing up in a new area: politics.
Wal-Mart is No. 2 among top campaign givers in the 2004 federal elections.
By Robert E. Klein, AP

It has rocketed to No. 2 among top campaign givers in the 2004 federal elections. Four years ago, it didn't rank in the top 100, says the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan watchdog group.

Republican candidates are the big winners in this year's election. They received about 85% of the company's contributions, including those of its political action committee, employees and children of founder Sam Walton...

...That is how it's political.

Kori Ellis

It's $28.52 on Wal-Mart's website :lol

tlongII
Don't you guys have a Costco?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Manny, I'm sorry if my question was worded wrong or you didn't like it. Let me try to rephrase it.

Why do you choose to boycott Wal-Mart?
:lmao

Kris, I was joking dude.

I boycott them because they are the largest water polluter in the history of the US. Because of their discrmination practacies, and because of their business practices.

For me, it has nothing to do with what they sell but rather how they run their business.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't you guys have a Costco?

:lmao Kori!

yes we do, and a Sam's Club

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 02:52 PM

I love teh Swiffer, I may have to get one....for Jess of course. :lol

T Park
07-21-2005, 02:56 PM
That is how it's political

better stop giving your money to some other companies who have donated to political campaigns so you stay even on that stance.

kris
07-21-2005, 02:56 PM

Kris, I was joking dude.

I boycott them because they are the largest water polluter in the history of the US. Because of their discrmination practacies, and because of their business practices.

For me, it has nothing to do with what they sell but rather how they run their business.

Sorry, I'm no good at this reading emotions thing.

kris
07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Tpark, what's up?

T Park
07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Because of their discrmination practacies, and because of their business practices.

how do they discriminate, and what business practices are so evil...

T Park
07-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi Tpark, what's up?

same shit different day.

hows law school.

kris
07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
same shit different day.

hows law school.

I'm out for the summer right now. I think I just ate expired turkey.

tlongII
07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Why go to Walmart or Target if you've got a Costco?

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Why go to Walmart or Target if you've got a Costco?

There isn't one close to me. :(

Summers
07-21-2005, 03:00 PM
better stop giving your money to some other companies who have donated to political campaigns so you stay even on that stance.

I didn't say I was apolitical. I'm quite the opposite. And I don't think Wal-Mart's doing anything wrong or illegal as far as political donations. But if they give 85% of their contributions to a party I don't support and won't sell books written by people who oppose their chosen candidates, then I certainly don't have to give them my money. That's called voting with the all-mighty dollar. I'm not being hypocritical--get off my back!

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:01 PM
think I just ate expired turkey

Haha.

That usually drags down my day.

You proposed to your better half yet?

kris
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok since I heard Manny is a great battle blogger, maybe I can get him to divulge some specifics.

Wal-Mart Pros:

product selection
provides jobs
family friendly (also a con sometimes)

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm not being hypocritical--get off my back!

link that says I said that?

I just said, better not give money to other companies that donate money to campaigns, because they would be making it political.

Summers
07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
how do they discriminate, and what business practices are so evil...

Dude, post number 55. :) Or just google it.

kris
07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Haha.

That usually drags down my day.

You proposed to your better half yet?

Hey! I weigh a lot more than she does. More like 65-35.

ps what's your im?

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Ericb1980- AOL

Ericb198024 Yahoo

Summers
07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
link that says I said that?

I just said, better not give money to other companies that donate money to campaigns, because they would be making it political.

Look, I'm really not very good at being confrontational, so I don't want this to blow up into a "summers hates t-park" thing. :lol

You implied I was being hypocritical if I spent my money on any company that donates to political campaigns. Which would be true if I'd said Wal-Mart was bad for donating to political campaigns. But, specifically, I don't like where they spend their money, how they force artists to censor their CDs, how they practice nigh-unethical business tactics, and turn a blind eye (and are therefore irresponsible and negligent on a global scale) to the labor practices that allow them to sell t-shirts for less than $10.00.

And they banned Jon Stewart's book and I think he's hot. :lol

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey! I weigh a lot more than she does. More like 65-35

Either thats a no, or I spelled the word wrong lol.

kris
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Hot topic, I challenge Manny to a BATTLE BLOG.

kris
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
What's a battle blog?

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
how they force artists to censor their CDs

To be fair, they don't.

But I respect your position nonetheless. I don't so much boycott WalMart as support smaller stores in my area that I like.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:13 PM
But, specifically, I don't like where they spend their money, how they force artists to censor their CDs, how they practice nigh-unethical business tactics, and turn a blind eye (and are therefore irresponsible and negligent on a global scale) to the labor practices that allow them to sell t-shirts for less than $10.00

Once again what do they do that is unethical.

They force artists to be creative instead of saying "Fuck" every other word.
What a shame.

What should they do about the labor practices, do it here in america, drive their insurance up, force the price to be 50 bucks, get sued by negligent workers and what not??

I love that arguement, "well well they buy stuff from third world countries where they pay the workers 1 dollar a day"

Ok. Those third world countires, how much poverty is there, and how much is the median pay?

If they are gonna pay them the outrageous minimum wage that is paid here in america, they are gonna go out of business.

But people that don't own businesses love to point that out.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't so much boycott WalMart as support smaller stores in my area that I like.

That Im cool with.

Support the little man is awesome, small business is what drives america.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 03:17 PM
MannyIsGod, please turn in your Walmart frequent customer card. You are no longer welcome here! :lol

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Ok dude, I've sat here and watched this for far too long. I tried to stay out, I tried to not get into it. But I CAN'T.

Once again what do they do that is unethical.

Things like this:

Wal-Mart had for long been accused of not treating its female employees in a socially responsible manner. A study of Wal-Mart's own employee data (conducted by some experts hired by the plaintiffs) revealed that women had been discriminated against in many instances. Even the company's internal memos revealed that Wal-Mart was far behind its competitors in promoting women at the workplace. Industry observers said that the company's competitors had employed more female managers in 1975 than Wal-Mart did even in 1999.
http://icmr.icfai.org/casestudies/catalogue/Business%20Ethics/BECG024.htm

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., is the first national company that the federal government has taken an enforcemnt action against for multi-state violations of the storm water regulations. Also included in the action are 10 of the store's contractors.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/cwa/walmart.html

What a shame.

Yeah, just like those damn people who wanted David not to be anatomicaly correct, right? Actually, Walmart refuses to sell CDs with explicit lyrics, but you don't seem to have a problem with THEIR choosing where to spend their money, only Summers.

What should they do about the labor practices, do it here in america, drive their insurance up, force the price to be 50 bucks, get sued by negligent workers and what not??

What?

I love that arguement, "well well they buy stuff from third world countries where they pay the workers 1 dollar a day"

Ok. Those third world countires, how much poverty is there, and how much is the median pay?

If they are gonna pay them the outrageous minimum wage that is paid here in america, they are gonna go out of business.

But people that don't own businesses love to point that out.
I've owned a business. I own one at the moment. And all of that is besides the point.

This country has laws regarding labor practices and companies like WalMart can go around those laws simply by having their products made overseas. If we hold those standards as law here, why should products that don't meet those standards be allowed to be sold? It goes against the spirt of the law.

But people that don't know shit love to not point that out.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
That Im cool with.

Support the little man is awesome, small business is what drives america.
Stop talking out of your ass. If you really cared about supporting small business you would not be there defending WalMart.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I've owned a business. I own one at the moment. And all of that is besides the point.

This country has laws regarding labor practices and companies like WalMart can go around those laws simply by having their products made overseas. If we hold those standards as law here, why should products that don't meet those standards be allowed to be sold? It goes against the spirt of the law.

But people that don't know shit love to not point that out.

What is the stock ticker symbol for your business Manny? (I meant that sarcasticly!)

kris
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
study of Wal-Mart's own employee data (conducted by some experts hired by the plaintiffs) revealed that women had been discriminated against in many instances.

Ever notice how plaintiff's experts always seem to favor the plaintiff's side?

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM

what laws are they breaking over in europe other than not paying them that anti business minimum wage?

Wal-Mart had for long been accused of not treating its female employees in a socially responsible manner. A study of Wal-Mart's own employee data (conducted by some experts hired by the plaintiffs) revealed that women had been discriminated against in many instances. Even the company's internal memos revealed that Wal-Mart was far behind its competitors in promoting women at the workplace. Industry observers said that the company's competitors had employed more female managers in 1975 than Wal-Mart did even in 1999.

But yet, the majority of workers in the wal mart on millitary drive, are women.

Such horrible working conditions for women at Wal Mart, yet women keep going there to work.

go fig.

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Stop talking out of your ass. If you really cared about supporting small business you would not be there defending WalMart.

Believe it or not, there are people who need things that aren't sold at Walmart. Walmart sells whatever leftover product they can get cheap, plus some other everyday items. The main reason I hate walmart is that they are not consistent on a lot of the items that they stock, and if they do stock an item it is worth your money paying for an item elsewhere that isn't a complete piece of crap.

They used to have a lot of made in America items (even if they did suck), now they just have a bunch of Chinese crap. I bet the Chinese crap is going to get more expensive with the exchange rates changing.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Ever notice how plaintiff's experts always seem to favor the plaintiff's side?

Funny you should point that out, a good family friend of ours, is a lawyer who has passed the california bar exam, has pointed out many times, about 95% of the stuff Wal Mart gets sued for is BS.

Once again.

If you make alot of money in this country, its a crime.

kris
07-21-2005, 03:32 PM
In my experience, I would say Wal-Mart is the most diversified store I have ever been to - not only racially but they hire a lot of disabled people, the likes of which I have not seen since the smaller scale Albertson's at West Avenue and Blanco.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:32 PM
They used to have a lot of made in America items

I know they did.

Then the Chinese would make something like it, but better, and cheaper.

So Im a business, I can make more money, am i gonna sell something that is inferior and more expensive, than the superior product that is cheaper but better made just because its made in America??

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:33 PM
but they hire a lot of disabled people

dont forget older retired people, who are, not able to live off their retirement, or they are bored and want a part time job.

But, Wal Mart is plain EVIL!!

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Europe? Last time I checked, fried rice came from Europe.

An increasing number of Wal-Mart’s suppliers are located in China, the source of about $18 billion worth of goods imported by Wal-Mart into the United States in 2004. [6] While Wal-Mart workers in the United States fight Wal-Mart’s underhanded union-busting tactics, in China they face an official ban on independent unions. A study by the National Labor Committee found that workers in China's Guangdong Province who made toys for Wal-Mart toiled as much as 130 hours per week for wages averaging 16.5 cents per hour (below the minimum wage) and no health insurance. [7]

Kris, there are independent studies that have been conducted as well.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM
If you really cared about supporting small business you would not be there defending WalMart

I support all kinds of business actually.

I own a business myself, and sympathize with any business owner.

I should have paraphrased that better I apologize.

Talking out of my ass??

uh okie doke.

Summers
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
If you won't click on the link... :lol I deleted about half of this article for brevity...

Behind this manufactured cheerfulness, however, is the fact that the average employee makes only $15,000 a year for full-time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part-time work. While the company brags that 70 percent of its workers are full-time, at Wal-Mart "full time" is 28 hours a week, meaning they gross less than $11,000 a year.

Health-care benefits? Only if you've been there two years; then the plan hits you with such huge premiums that few can afford it--only 38 percent of Wal-Marters are covered.

Thinking union? Get outta here! "Wal-Mart is opposed to unionization," reads a company guidebook for supervisors. "You, as a manager, are expected to support the company's position. ... This may mean walking a tightrope between legitimate campaigning and improper conduct."

Wal-Mart is an unrepentant and recidivist violator of employee rights, drawing repeated convictions, fines, and the ire of judges from coast to coast. For example, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has had to file more suits against the Bentonville billionaires club for cases of disability discrimination than any other corporation. A top EEOC lawyer told Business Week, "I have never seen this kind of blatant disregard for the law."

Likewise, a national class-action suit reveals an astonishing pattern of sexual discrimination at Wal-Mart (where 72 percent of the salespeople are women), charging that there is "a harsh, anti-woman culture in which complaints go unanswered and the women who make them are targeted for retaliation."

As Charlie Kernaghan of the National Labor Committee reports, "In country after country, factories that produce for Wal-Mart are the worst," adding that the bottom-feeding labor policy of this one corporation "is actually lowering standards in China, slashing wages and benefits, imposing long mandatory-overtime shifts, while tolerating the arbitrary firing of workers who even dare to discuss factory conditions."

Wal-Mart does not want the U.S. buying public to know that its famous low prices are the product of human misery, so while it loudly proclaims that its global suppliers must comply with a corporate "code of conduct" to treat workers decently, it strictly prohibits the disclosure of any factory names and addresses, hoping to keep independent sources from witnessing the "code" in operation.

The work is literally sickening, since there's no health and safety enforcement. Workers have constant headaches and nausea from paint-dust hanging in the air; the indoor temperature tops 100 degrees; protective clothing is a joke; repetitive stress disorders are rampant; and there's no training on the health hazards of handling the plastics, glue, paint thinners, and other solvents in which these workers are immersed every day.

As for Wal-Mart's highly vaunted "code of conduct," NLC could not find a single worker who had ever seen or heard of it.

Of course, among the unnecessaries to him are the use of union labor and producing goods in America, and Scott is unabashed about pointing in the direction of China or other places for abysmally low production costs. He doesn't even have to say "Move to China"--his purchasing executives demand such an impossible lowball price from suppliers that they can only meet it if they follow Wal-Mart's labor example. With its dominance over its own 1.2 million workers and 65,000 suppliers, plus its alliances with ruthless labor abusers abroad, this one company is the world's most powerful private force for lowering labor standards and stifling the middle-class aspirations of workers everywhere.

But, say apologists for these Big-Box megastores, at least they're creating jobs. Wrong. By crushing local businesses, this giant eliminates three decent jobs for every two Wal-Mart jobs that it creates--and a store full of part-time, poorly paid employees hardly builds the family wealth necessary to sustain a community's middle-class living standard.

I personally believe it's time American businesses, if they insist on using overseas labor, hold themselves to a certain standard and provide clean working conditions and decent pay for the people supplying their merchandise. It's one thing to play dumb and not spend the extra money to rise above the local standards, but it's quite another when people in China and Bangladesh think your labor practices suck.

bigzak25
hey tpark, do you own your own business? thanks. :tu

kris
Are there any independent studies that disagree?

T Park
Wal-Mart’s underhanded union-busting tactics

They dont want to deal witha union, what a horrible thing.

But once again, the quotes Manny uses, the writer of the quotes seems to have a slant of view so, take that for what its worth.

Jekka
But yet, the majority of workers in the wal mart on millitary drive, are women.

Such horrible working conditions for women at Wal Mart, yet women keep going there to work.

go fig.

Are the majority of workers in the walmart on Military Drive managers?

Of course walmart will hire women to do the stock work - but there are very few of them in positions of authority. Many of the people working on the floor at Walmart are part-time as well, so that Walmart will not have to give them benefits. It's notoriously difficult for anyone to get a full-time position there. I've known people that have worked there (and other retail mega-companies) that have been worked 39 hours a week just so they don't have access to benefits.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Im sure there are Kris, but you won't seem them posted too soon.

SWC Bonfire
Then the Chinese would make something like it, but better, and cheaper.

Um, cheaper, maybe. You go ahead and get the made in China air tank, I'm sure that they inspected the welds on it just like they checked all the tapped holes in the gigantic cast iron mill roller that I just got.:rolleyes

SpursWoman
In my experience, I would say Wal-Mart is the most diversified store I have ever been to - not only racially but they hire a lot of disabled people, the likes of which I have not seen since the smaller scale Albertson's at West Avenue and Blanco.

And older people who need to suppliment their income or just need something to do. Good point. :)

And maybe they pissed in my water and I can't buy my porn there, as well as beat and harrassed me in the break room.....I'll still go there, because I hate having to go to multiple places for shit when I can find them in one.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
http://www.ips-dc.org/projects/global_econ/walmart_pay_gap.htm
http://cecd.aers.psu.edu/pubs/PovertyResearchWM.pdf
http://www.againstthewal.com/walmart.pdf

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/pdf/wmtstudy.pdf (I love this one. Its about Walmart and how it gets subsidies from all forms of government around the country)

http://www.missouri.edu/%7Eeconwww/Working_Paper_Series/2002/WP0215_basker.pdf

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Europe? Last time I checked, fried rice came from Europe.

Kris, there are independent studies that have been conducted as well.

Sorry Manny, but I'm not sad that Walmart is not providing health care for people who earn 16 cents an hour in China. I agree they should follow whatever laws of the country they reside in, but complaining about that is ridiculously extreme.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Of course walmart will hire women to do the stock work - but there are very few of them in positions of authority. Many of the people working on the floor at Walmart are part-time as well, so that Walmart will not have to give them benefits. It's notoriously difficult for anyone to get a full-time position there. I've known people that have worked there (and other retail mega-companies) that have been worked 39 hours a week just so they don't have access to benefits.

Should they hire just men to work the stock??

Just curious.

Why is it Wal Mart's responsibility to work a certian person more hours so they get free medical??

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
They dont want to deal witha union, what a horrible thing.

But once again, the quotes Manny uses, the writer of the quotes seems to have a slant of view so, take that for what its worth.
So what the hell Tpark. Am I supposed to accept the things I do not agree with or is it OKAY if I want to boycott them?

If you think all of that is ok, then by all means, shop there!

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:41 PM
And older people who need to suppliment their income or just need something to do.

Come on SDub, I said it, give me a little credit at least!! :)

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Am I supposed to accept the things I do not agree with or is it OKAY if I want to boycott them

Its okay if you want to.

I just dont like how everyone paints them to be this "evil" company.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Are there any independent studies that disagree?
To be quiet honest, I'm not sure. I've read a ton of studies on WalMart, and they've all detailed the negative effects of the stores. I'd be more than happy to read any on the positive aspects if anyone would like to provide them.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Its okay if you want to.

I just dont like how everyone paints them to be this "evil" company.
Uh, maybe the things detailed above?

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Walmart delivers what it's customers want. If they are operating illegally then prove it in a court of law. This thread reminds me of that movie, "PCU". :lol

MannyIsGod

Just curious.

Why is it Wal Mart's responsibility to work a certian person more hours so they get free medical??

This is why I didn't want to get into this.

T Park
I'm sure that they inspected the welds on it just like they checked all the tapped holes in the gigantic cast iron mill roller that I just got

Miller Welders??

I have a Bobcat, too.

Im talking about stuff you buy in Wal Mart, not something industrial like that sir.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
To be quiet honest, I'm not sure. I've read a ton of studies on WalMart, and they've all detailed the negative effects of the stores. I'd be more than happy to read any on the positive aspects if anyone would like to provide them.

Is the first post of this thread a positive story?

Jekka

Just curious.

Okay, where did I say that they should just hire men for stock. You seem to be missing my point that the problem that there are far fewer women in management and other authoritative positions than men. I'm saying that they're willing to hire women to do menial work while avoiding hiring them for more important work - which is wrong.

And do you not see something wrong with a company consistently working part-time employees only an hour less than full time employees who do receive benefits?

T Park
What did I say that was wrong??

Legit question BTW.

MannyIsGod
Sorry Manny, but I'm not sad that Walmart is not providing health care for people who earn 16 cents an hour in China. I agree they should follow whatever laws of the country they reside in, but complaining about that is ridiculously extreme.
Why is it extreme that I don't like buying products made in conditions that are illegal in this country? Holding a standard is ridiculously extreme?

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
And do you not see something wrong with a company consistently working part-time employees only an hour less than full time employees who do receive benefits

Do you know how much it would cost a company like Wal Mart, if they added that 1 hour to all those people for health care?

WHO CARES!!!!

The money grows on trees.

To be honest, once again, why should Walmart, have to DO that??

Useruser666
Why is it extreme that I don't like buying products made in conditions that are illegal in this country? Holding a standard is ridiculously extreme?

Holding Walmart responsible for not providing healthcare for millions of people in a country where most are without that same care is ridiculous. Does the business you own provide you with healthcare?

MannyIsGod
The bottom line is that Americans want low prices and convienence. They don't care about the ramifications because they don't see them. Sure, everyone wants other people to be healthy, the air and rivers to be clean, and for things to work out nicely but nobody actually wants to pay for them.

Whether you like Wal-Mart or hate them, you cannot deny that.

kris
07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
There are at least two sides to every story. It looks like that last excerpt definitely skews to one side.

Only 38% have benefits"" --- How many people have some/all benefits at other businesses? How many people stay employed long enough to have the benefits? How many more people does Wal-Mart incorporate as opposed to other places?

Where are the comparisons?

Does Target ever get reprimanded?

Are people forced to work at Wal-Mart or are they given an option to work there?

Is Wal-Mart outperforming other businesses?

Does Target take away from small businesses?

How much would the $11,000 or $15,000 a year employees have made normally?

Does Wal-Mart hire people other places such as SMALL BUSINESSES wouldn't have?

Do small businesses pollute or accrew wastefulness? If so, does it get unnoticed by the consumer watchdogs because it is so small and it is easier to go after a big corporation?

Do other places have racial/gender discrimination suits?

Is Wal-Mart a victim of its on prosperity?

Are there people that hate just to hate?

Should Wal-Mart be given some credit for stepping up with this inaguaral store and the possibility of more to come despite possible losses?

Hmmmmm...More than just the clear 100% black that anti-Wal-Marters would have you believe?

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Many of the people working on the floor at Walmart are part-time as well, so that Walmart will not have to give them benefits. It's notoriously difficult for anyone to get a full-time position there.

I'm no expert on the retail business, but aren't MOST retail jobs part-time positions?

I mean, couldn't you say the same thing about Kroger, HEB, The Gap, Best Buy, etc.?

MannyIsGod
Holding Walmart responsible for not providing healthcare for millions of people in a country where most are without that same care is ridiculous. Does the business you own provide you with healthcare?
Well thank you for deciding what my standards should be, Chris! Its not about the health insurance, it is about the weekly hours, the wages they are paid etc etc.

Would those things be legal in the US? Would it be OK to make products in those conditions here?

T Park
The bottom line is that Americans want low prices and convienence. They don't care about the ramifications because they don't see them. Sure, everyone wants other people to be healthy, the air and rivers to be clean, and for things to work out nicely but nobody actually wants to pay for them.

Whether you like Wal-Mart or hate them, you cannot deny that.

Very true.

You cant have things both ways.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Wal-Mart's (http://www.walmartfacts.com/newsdesk/article.aspx?id=1091) rebuttal to your claims, Manny.

Just thought I throw it in the mix....

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Well thank you for deciding what my standards should be, Chris! Its not about the health insurance, it is about the weekly hours, the wages they are paid etc etc.

Would those things be legal in the US? Would it be OK to make products in those conditions here?

So Wal Mart should pay those works 8 bucks an hour and work em 40 hours a week?

SWC Bonfire
Im talking about stuff you buy in Wal Mart, not something industrial like that sir.

I was talking about the airtanks they sell in Walmart which are made in China. They are welded pressure vessels. They are bombs. The weak part in the design are the welds. If Walmart doesn't want to get sued, they tested them extensively, but you cannot convince me that the welds are of the highest quality, and I doubt they X-rayed them extensively. Fabricated chinese products are notoriously shoddy, and tell me that a Chinese worker gives a shit if one out of 100,000 of their product blows up in some decadent capitallist's face.

MannyIsGod
There are at least two sides to every story. It looks like that last excerpt definitely skews to one side.

Only 38% have benefits"" --- How many people have some/all benefits at other businesses? How many people stay employed long enough to have the benefits? How many more people does Wal-Mart incorporate as opposed to other places?

Where are the comparisons?

Does Target ever get reprimanded?

Are people forced to work at Wal-Mart or are they given an option to work their?

Is Wal-Mart outperforming other businesses?

Does Target take away from small businesses?

How much would the $11,000 or $15,000 a year employees have made normally?

Does Wal-Mart hire people other places such as SMALL BUSINESSES wouldn't have?

Do small businesses pollute or accrew wastefulness? If so, does it get unnoticed by the consumer watchdogs because it is so small and it is easier to go after a big corporation?

Do other places have racial/gender discrimination suits?

Is Wal-Mart a victim of its on prosperity?

Are there people that hate just to hate?

Should Wal-Mart be given some credit for stepping up with this inaguaral store and the possibility of more to come despite possible losses?

Hmmmmm...More than just the clear 100% black that anti-Wal-Marters would have you believe?
Even if I concede every point about discrimination and worker conditions to you, it changes nothing about how WalMart detracts form the economy in the long run and it does nothing in regards to their history regarding pollution.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Sixty percent of Wal-Mart associates are female and our manager ranks are over 40 percent female, including professionals like pharmacists and opticians. In 2004, thousands of female hourly associates received promotions, a rate that exceeds their representation in the qualified applicant pool. That means that if 50 percent of the qualified applicants were female, for example, 50 percent or more of those promoted were female

Whoops.......

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, where did I say that they should just hire men for stock. You seem to be missing my point that the problem that there are far fewer women in management and other authoritative positions than men. I'm saying that they're willing to hire women to do menial work while avoiding hiring them for more important work - which is wrong.

And do you not see something wrong with a company consistently working part-time employees only an hour less than full time employees who do receive benefits?

I know about the major class-action lawsuit against Walmart regarding paying less money to women that are in equal position as men, etc. The suit has become the largest private civil rights case in U.S. history. Has that case been settled, or is it still ongoing?

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
I was talking about the airtanks they sell in Walmart which are made in China. They are welded pressure vessels. They are bombs. The weak part in the design are the welds. If Walmart doesn't want to get sued, they tested them extensively, but you cannot convince me that the welds are of the highest quality, and I doubt they X-rayed them extensively. Fabricated chinese products are notoriously shoddy, and tell me that a Chinese worker gives a shit if one out of 100,000 of their product blows up in some decadent capitallist's face.

You could prob say the same thing for some american welds.

Dont get me started on needing ASTM standards and european standards being inferior.

MannyIsGod
It is still ongoing.

kris
Even if I concede every point about discrimination and worker conditions to you, it changes nothing about how WalMart detracts form the economy in the long run and it does nothing in regards to their history regarding pollution.

That's a positive way to stay on the negative side.

tlongII
07-21-2005, 03:56 PM

This is one of the most ridiculous statements you have made. Very ethno-centric.

T Park
07-21-2005, 03:57 PM
We spent more than $150 billion with U.S. suppliers in 2004 for things such as various products on our shelves, to the concrete it takes to build our buildings, to the electricity that powers them. A single company with sales of that magnitude would rank #6 on the Fortune 500. You can count on this fact, too: The products and services from US suppliers sold at Wal-Mart stores provide good jobs to more than 3 million employees at 61,000 suppliers in states across America.

Another factoid to shoot down the " Everything they buy is made in China" theory.

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm no expert on the retail business, but aren't MOST retail jobs part-time positions?

I mean, couldn't you say the same thing about Kroger, HEB, The Gap, Best Buy, etc.?

Just wanted to make sure this didn't get lost in the shuffle, since it was the last post on the previous page.

kris
07-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Even if I conceed to you they have a history of pollution and then I go ahead and conceed to you the majority other major corporations don't, shouldn't consumer watchdogs like yourself be proud that Wal-Mart has taken an uncharted step in environmental protection. I didn't see your kudos. This is what you wanted, right?

Jekka
07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I know about the major class-action lawsuit against Walmart regarding paying less money to women that are in equal position as men, etc. The suit has become the largest private civil rights case in U.S. history. Has that case been settled, or is it still ongoing?

Last I heard it was still ongoing, it will be interesting to see how it pans out though.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
That's a positive way to stay on the negative side.
By looking at everything they do that I don't agree with? Well, Wal-Mart needs to not give me such a big list to work from.

Undoubtly some of the things I complain about them are being fixed, have been fixed, or were never issues. Also, they more than likely catch more flack for their actions because of their size. I'm not debating any of that.

But there is more than enough information on their business practices on things they have done that I do not agree with to keep me locked in on boycotting them.

T Park
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
That store will make money make no bones about it, but the first couple years, they will have problems, and nothing will work perfectly.

I do salute Wal Mart for this endevor, and it would be neat if they could adapt ALL their stores to this energy.

Jekka
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
So Wal Mart should pay those works 8 bucks an hour and work em 40 hours a week?

If you're going to hire someone for part time work, then work them part time. Don't hire someone under the false name of part-time if you're going to work them 39 hours a week on a regular basis - if that's the case, then you must need them full-time, so don't be a jerk and refuse them benefits when you need the work they do.

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I do salute Wal Mart for this endevor, and it would be neat if they could adapt ALL their stores to this energy.

Walmart could power one of their stores from the hot air expended in this thread alone...

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Even if I conceed to you they have a history of pollution and then I go ahead and conceed to you the majority other major corporations don't, shouldn't consumer watchdogs like yourself be proud that Wal-Mart has taken an uncharted step in environmental protection. I didn't see your kudos. This is what you wanted, right?
One store? No, I want these measures taken to be a standard. I know that doesn't happen overnight, and while yes it is a step in the right direction you have to also question whether this is a token response or not. Are they right now opening dozens of stores without this measure while putting this one in the spotlight? Yes.

So yes, if this store becomes more than a token response, they will get kudos. But they have not earned them yet.

kris
07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
By looking at everything they do that I don't agree with? Well, Wal-Mart needs to not give me such a big list to work from.

Undoubtly some of the things I complain about them are being fixed, have been fixed, or were never issues. Also, they more than likely catch more flack for their actions because of their size. I'm not debating any of that.

But there is more than enough information on their business practices on things they have done that I do not agree with to keep me locked in on boycotting them.

The only reason I give you flack is because it seems to me like you do, but hey it's not like I know anything more about Wal-Mart than I shop there. I just tried to fill in the whites of the counter points. I like Wal-Mart, they've been good to me.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been guilty of providing my stance in a very poor manner in this thread. I'll put together a post with were my stance is worded in a better way.

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 04:08 PM
they will get kudos. But they have not earned them yet.

The Kudos are in an end cap display on aisle 5.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

So how many stores do you buy from, purchase all their goods from foreign companies who pay their workers and provide them with healthcare equal to that of the US? Why should any company that deals with US companies be forced to pay US wages or provide US level healthcare?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:09 PM

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:10 PM
So how many stores do you buy from, purchase all their goods from foreign companies who pay their workers and provide them with healthcare equal to that of the US? Why should any company that deals with US companies be forced to pay US wages or provide US level healthcare?
Chris, I go to extended measures to buy American as much as possible to this level. I think there was a therad in here on the subject back around the end of November when I was talking about Buy Nothing Day.

T Park
07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
If you're going to hire someone for part time work, then work them part time. Don't hire someone under the false name of part-time if you're going to work them 39 hours a week on a regular basis - if that's the case, then you must need them full-time, so don't be a jerk and refuse them benefits when you need the work they do.

So the business should be niiiiice. Ohhh ok....

I still dont see how, they should be obligated to hire these part timers full time.

Once again, maybe they DONT need em full time.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
One store? No, I want these measures taken to be a standard. I know that doesn't happen overnight, and while yes it is a step in the right direction you have to also question whether this is a token response or not. Are they right now opening dozens of stores without this measure while putting this one in the spotlight? Yes.

So yes, if this store becomes more than a token response, they will get kudos. But they have not earned them yet.

So you don't want people telling you what your standards should be, but then you want to tell a business what their's should be? I get it. Even when a comapny tries something that might be good for the community, it's not good enough.

"No, I want these measures taken to be a standard."

Yeah, they should go bankrupt trying every cutting edge advancment there is just to please you into feeling self rightous when you toss that pack of Mac and Cheese in your basket.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Chris, I go to extended measures to buy American as much as possible to this level. I think there was a therad in here on the subject back around the end of November when I was talking about Buy Nothing Day.

Well then, I guess that makes you a good person.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM

It must take you a long time to shop then! :lol

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:18 PM
So you don't want people telling you what your standards should be, but then you want to tell a business what their's should be? I get it.
If they want my money? YES

They can do whatever they want, but if I don't agree with it they won't get my money.

Even when a comapny tries something that might be good for the community, it's not good enough.

Yeah, it is not good enough yet. Once again, if they want my money they will do more.

Yeah, they should go bankrupt trying every cutting edge advancment there is just to please you into feeling self rightous when you toss that pack of Mac and Cheese in your basket.
They don't have to do a damn thing, Chris. But unless they do things my way, they will not get my money.

tlongII
07-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Living standards in the USA are far different than living standards in China for example. To expect the same wages to be paid and the same benefits be offered shows very little understanding of the global marketplace.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Well then, I guess that makes you a good person.
No, it makes me a person who keeps their standards.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Living standards in the USA are far different than living standards in China for example. To expect the same wages to be paid and the same benefits be offered shows very little understanding of the global marketplace.
We've been through this before. Am I the only one that remembers old threads? I don't want same standards. I know some dude in a place where their currency is 200 to 1 Dollar isn't going to get paid an 8 dollar an hour wage.

But sweatshop conditions are wrong in my eyes.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:22 PM
It must take you a long time to shop then! :lol
It does. You walk into a place like American Eagle and you find that maybe one shirt in the store is American.

I will buy from places that make things overseas in fair labor conditions. For example, The Gap now goes to great lengths to ensure its clothes are not made in sweatshops.

T Park
07-21-2005, 04:26 PM
We've been through this before. Am I the only one that remembers old threads? I don't want same standards. I know some dude in a place where their currency is 200 to 1 Dollar isn't going to get paid an 8 dollar an hour wage.

But sweatshop conditions are wrong in my eyes.

That I can agree with.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh and Chris, I'm not asking for you to look at me in a better light. You seem to be implying that I boycott Wal-Mart because it makes me look like some kind of better person. I boycott Wal-Mart becasue I don't agree with them, and I have no idea what that has to do with you.

T Park
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
You walk into a place like American Eagle and you find that maybe one shirt in the store is American

Made in Mexico.

A couple of guys that work for me used to work in the stock area of their facility down there.

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I think it's perfectly fair to criticise, and even boycott, businesses that exploit cheap labor abroad. It's not so much that people like Manny expect Wal-Mart to pay Chinese workers $8 an hour and give Health Benefits... It's more about Wal-Mart supporting and perpetuating an economic environment where people ARE paid that way.

We have labor laws in this country for a reason, and if we truly believe in them, we believe the spirit of those laws applies to everyone, whether they are in China, Indonesia, or the United States. If American Corporations are spending billions of dollars in an environment with no labor standards, the big-wigs in those country have no reason to provide a better working environment for their employees. On the other hand, if a company like Wal-Mart steps up to the plate and says "We will not do busniess with anyone who runs their company this way," foreign business owners (and possibly even nations) might be more inclined to raise their standards.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I think it's perfectly fair to criticise businesses that exploit cheap labor abroad. It's not so much that people like Manny expect Wal-Mart to pay Chinese workers $8 an hour and give Health Benefits... It's more about Wal-Mart supporting and perpetuating an economic environment where people ARE paid that way.

We have labor laws in this country for a reason, and if we truly believe in them, we believe the spirit of those laws applies to everyone, whether they are in China, Indonesia, or the United States. If American Corporations are spending billions of dollars in an environment with no labor standards, the big-wigs in those country have no reason to provide a better working environment for their employees. On the other hand, if a company like Wal-Mart steps up to the plate and says "We will not do busniess with anyone who runs their company this way," foreign business owners (and possibly even nations) might be more inclined to raise their standards. Fucking EXACTLY. And that goes beyond labor laws and onto enviromental laws as well.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
http://elephanttuesday.com/catalog/images/PCU.jpg

The Gap? :lol

American Eagle? :lol

The only way you can say that the clothes your wearing are American made, is if the next time I see you, you're wearing a cat skin coat and Jessica is pissed off at you.

timvp
07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Boycotting Walmart is laughable. Some people just can’t avoid hating a prospering business. Walmart is one of the biggest companies in the world. It employs tons of people. It’s everywhere you look. In its own way, it’s a symbol of America.

Of course people are going to find stuff wrong. With a company that big, I’d be more worried if it had a perception of running flawlessly.

I’ve never heard anything that would make me even blink when it comes to shopping at Walmart. Walmart doesn’t have explicit language CDs and chooses not to put some books on the shelf? Who cares? The same people would be complaining if Walmart DID carry those items. They’d say that Walmart doesn’t promote a family atmosphere. And how hard is it to go buy the items elsewhere? You complain about a store and then complain more because you can’t buy something there? Makes a lot of sense.

Nitpicking at greatness is expected. Those people have their place in America. They have to make sure that people who strive their whole life to work at Walmart have the same opportunity to be floor leader on the softlines regardless of race, gender or sexual preference.

Basically, it comes down to Walmart being rich and people trying to sue them to get money. That’s the American way. In the crossfire, some people get confused and believe statistics about hiring practices, rain drain off and the such. Let them believe that H-E-B or target or wherever they shop is more earth/women/rain friendly. The truth it it's the same crap, just a different toilet seat.

The most classic thing about this thread is Manny’s signature. Let’s continue it a bit.

http://www.filmdeculte.com/photo/film/teamamerica/2.jpg
America, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
America, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way yeah,
Terrorist your game is through cause now you have to answer too,
America, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and suck on my balls,
America, FUCK YEAH!
What you going to do when we come for you now,
it’s the dream that we all share; it’s the hope for tomorrow

FUCK YEAH!

McDonalds, FUCK YEAH!
Wal-Mart, FUCK YEAH!

Walmart. The second most American thing in this great nation.

Funk yeah!

Shelly
07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
:lol at LJ

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Personally, I think if you try to boycott any company or corporation that does something illegal or shady, then you wouldn't be going to shop anywhere.

Just weave your own clothes out of hemp, and grow your own food.

tlongII
07-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I think it's perfectly fair to criticise, and even boycott, businesses that exploit cheap labor abroad. It's not so much that people like Manny expect Wal-Mart to pay Chinese workers $8 an hour and give Health Benefits... It's more about Wal-Mart supporting and perpetuating an economic environment where people ARE paid that way.

We have labor laws in this country for a reason, and if we truly believe in them, we believe the spirit of those laws applies to everyone, whether they are in China, Indonesia, or the United States. If American Corporations are spending billions of dollars in an environment with no labor standards, the big-wigs in those country have no reason to provide a better working environment for their employees. On the other hand, if a company like Wal-Mart steps up to the plate and says "We will not do busniess with anyone who runs their company this way," foreign business owners (and possibly even nations) might be more inclined to raise their standards.

It is not the responsibility of American corporations to see that living standards are improved in all foreign countries. It is the responsibility of the citizens in said foreign countries to see that that happens.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I bought a garden hose at Wal-Mart. The worst $11 I ever spent. I ended up tossing it.

Fuck Wal-Mart and their cheap hoses. I spent twice as much for a kink-free one at that other devil store, Home Depot. Or was it Lowe's?

MannyIsGod
Chris, everything I have on right now is American made.

T Park
(Stands and applauds)

VERY VERY VERY well said LJ.

Spoken like a true business owner.

Shelly
07-21-2005, 04:34 PM

But are you fashionable?

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:35 PM

I have no problem with right and wrong. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect fair treatment. That being said, boycotting Walmart and then preaching from a top the mountain about those said virtues is what I find funny.

Spurminator
It is not the responsibility of American corporations to see that living standards are improved in all foreign countries. It is the responsibility of the citizens in said foreign countries to see that that happens.

I didn't say it was their responsibility... It's also not anyone's responsibility to shop at Wal-Mart and like it, or to shut up about it.

Duff McCartney

I agree...I find it funny that people criticise for going into another country to "improve the conditions"....then they want workers in foreign countries to rise up and do the same.

MannyIsGod
No, but American companies do choose to operate in those conditions and thereby are liable in a way. If their prospective customers choose to make that a condition on their purchase the company has no choice but to either oblige the customer or do without their business.

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 04:36 PM
So, what are you wearing Manny? :eyebrows

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:37 PM
I have a rolling stones shirt on and back shorts. My sandalls were made in Italy though, not America.

Spurminator
07-21-2005, 04:37 PM
I find it funnier that moral objections to certain companies are greeted with such mockery.

It's one thing to talk about suing Wal-Mart or creating laws to limit reliance on foreign labor... Boycotting is simply a personal choice. BFD. I'm sure they'll survive.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree...I find it funny that people criticise for going into another country to "improve the conditions"....then they want workers in foreign countries to rise up and do the same.
Why is that funny?

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
My sandalls were made in Italy though, not America.

But if they break, will Jess carry you to the car?

tlongII
07-21-2005, 04:39 PM
No, but American companies do choose to operate in those conditions and thereby are liable in a way. If their prospective customers choose to make that a condition on their purchase the company has no choice but to either oblige the customer or do without their business.

When American corporations operate in foreign countries the living conditions in those countries actually improve, they do not get worse. That fact seems to be lost on people such as yourself.

Useruser666

So why are you telling me that then? What is the point to informing me? Seems like you think less of me because my jeans may have been made in Mexico. Don't worry, I'm almost as righteous, all my clothes were purchased in the America.

MannyIsGod
I find it funnier that moral objections to certain companies are greeted with such mockery.
Its a culture of complacency. Mad about something? Who cares! The sad thing is that I'm not even trying to convince anyone else in here to do it. I choose to boycott Wal-Mart because of what I want to stand for, and people find THAT offensive.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
But if they break, will Jess carry you to the car?
:lmao yeah right. But I would hope she woudln't run ahead of me!

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:41 PM
So why are you telling me that then? What is the point to informing me? Seems like you think less of me because my jeans may have been made in Mexico. Don't worry, I'm almost as righteous, all my clothes were purchased in the America.
Because you said there was no way I could do it. Didn't you? Don't try to paint me as a hypocrite and then say I'm trying to make you feel bad when I contradict what you say.

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I choose to boycott Wal-Mart because of what I want to stand for, and people find THAT offensive.

I don't find it offensive I just find it ridiculous.

Useruser666
07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Its a culture of complacency. Mad about something? Who cares! The sad thing is that I'm not even trying to convince anyone else in here to do it. I choose to boycott Wal-Mart because of what I want to stand for, and people find THAT offensive.

You've made a lot of posts in this thread trying to not not convince people here.

Shelly
I don't find it offensive I just find it ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous. It would be ridiculous if he said I'm boycotting them and you should too. Unless I missed it, I don't think he said that.

SpursWoman
I have a rolling stones shirt on and back shorts. My sandalls were made in Italy though, not America.

What brand(s)?

tlongII

I don't find it offensive. I just like to argue.

MannyIsGod
When American corporations operate in foreign countries the living conditions in those countries actually improve, they do not get worse. That fact seems to be lost on people such as yourself.
Oh really? For everytime you name a place where they improve, I give you a Bopal. I'm not saying every American comapny doing something overseas is bad, but there are plenty of examples of corporations taking advantadge of overseass conditions. Shit, they manage to screw over Americans quite a bit and you're going to tell me they don't do it in other countries?

Give me a fucking break!

SpursWoman
07-21-2005, 04:44 PM

:lmao :lmao

MannyIsGod
You've made a lot of posts in this thread trying to not not convince people here.
Isn't a discussion involve back and forth conversation? When you respond should I not resopnd?

Spurminator
I just like to argue.

No you don't.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM

angel_luv
" The truth it it's the same crap, just a different toilet seat.''- Timvp

That just made # 1 in my classic quote collection.

Shelly
Regarding Wal-Mart:

The real question is, Would Tlong hit it?

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 04:46 PM
It's not ridiculous. It would be ridiculous if he said I'm boycotting them and you should too. Unless I missed it, I don't think he said that.

Like I said before...alot of companies do alot of bad shit. If you really boycotted companies that did illegal or broke laws, you'd be boycotting probably everybody.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:47 PM
What brand(s)?
Everyting is generic. The Sandals just have a big made in Italy stamp on the bottom.

SpursWoman

And apparently, inadvertantly I like to start it. :lol

tlongII
Oh really? For everytime you name a place where they improve, I give you a Bopal. I'm not saying every American comapny doing something overseas is bad, but there are plenty of examples of corporations taking advantadge of overseass conditions. Shit, they manage to screw over Americans quite a bit and you're going to tell me they don't do it in other countries?

Give me a fucking break!

Bhopal was an industrial accident. Many people were killed which obviously is a bad thing. However, I guarantee that the presence of Union-Carbide in that country resulted in a higher standard of living for the people employed there. Of course corporations take advantage of overseas conditions. It's a global marketplace. You gain a huge advantage over your competition if you are able to keep your costs lower.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Like I said before...alot of companies do alot of bad shit. If you really boycotted companies that did illegal or broke laws, you'd be boycotting probably everybody.
And that is bullshit. Believe it or not, there are plenty of companies that don't do these things.

timvp
07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Someone please name a store that doesn't sell, buy or use anything that is made by people who make under US minimum wage. I want to shop there. Please, somebody tell me.

In return, I'll tell you the name of a store that will be out of business before the end of the year.

:smokin

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Bhopal was an industrial accident. Many people were killed which obviously is a bad thing. However, I guarantee that the presence of Union-Carbide in that country resulted in a higher standard of living for the people employed there. Of course corporations take advantage of overseas conditions. It's a global marketplace. You gain a huge advantage over your competition if you are able to keep your costs lower.

I know the companies motivations. I know that anything a corporation does is in the end decided by the bottom line. Therefore, I realize if I don't agree with something a company does is to effect their bottom line and withold my money from situations I don't agree with.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
If nothing else, I've gotten hours of entertainment. :lol

tlongII
07-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I know the companies motivations. I know that anything a corporation does is in the end decided by the bottom line. Therefore, I realize if I don't agree with something a company does is to effect their bottom line and withold my money from situations I don't agree with.

So you don't agree with improving the living conditions in 3rd world countries?

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 04:52 PM
And that is bullshit. Believe it or not, there are plenty of companies that don't do these things.

I'm sure there are...but there is more than just Wal Mart that does shit that's not right. I'll bet Target does to.

Business can always do bad shit...because it's business.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
So you don't agree with improving the living conditions in 3rd world countries?
I don't agree with pollution in 3rd world countries along with explotation of their workers.

I don't boycott a company just because they produce things out of this country, Tlong.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm sure there are...but there is more than just Wal Mart that does shit that's not right. I'll bet Target does to.

Business can always do bad shit...because it's business.
There are more, but Wal-Mart takes it to a new high.

Target has a lot of the same violations that Wal-Mart has, but it takes much stronger action to fix it.

http://www.responsibleshopper.org/compare_detail.cfm?cusip=239753&codes=DR

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Well that settles it....it's time for me to boycott Target.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Knock yourself out, but you probably shoulnd't be spending money anyhow.

tlongII
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't agree with pollution in 3rd world countries along with explotation of their workers.

I don't boycott a company just because they produce things out of this country, Tlong.

But you have given no evidence of exploitation. Only evidence that their wages are less than Americans. That is hardly exploitation.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 05:13 PM
But you have given no evidence of exploitation. Only evidence that their wages are less than Americans. That is hardly exploitation.
Wrong. Read them again and read about the hours.

T Park
07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Knock yourself out, but you probably shoulnd't be spending money anyhow.

Haha score anotha for Manny....

timvp
07-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Someone please name a store that doesn't sell, buy or use anything that is made by people who make under US minimum wage. I want to shop there. Please, somebody tell me.

In return, I'll tell you the name of a store that will be out of business before the end of the year.

:smokin

Bump.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
What a shame.

What a shame they don't force you to do the same with your posts.

T Park
07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
What a shame they don't force you to do the same with your posts.

YOu know Johnny, youve turned into a real jerk lately.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
YOu know Johnny, youve turned into a real jerk lately.

Actually, I was always a jerk and an asshole. It just comes out when provoked.

But, your quoted statement seems to be said without intended malice (and actually calm, collected and simply a statement of fact), so I'm willing to call a truce...

As long as you stop claiming Dontrelle is overrated. :lol

Seriously, though...we're cool again - like it should have been.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1044579930822_2003/02/07/tupac,0.jpg

T Park
07-21-2005, 06:21 PM
As long as you stop claiming Dontrelle is overrated

When he strings together a good second half of the season i will.

But, your quoted statement seems to be said without intended malice (and actually calm, collected and simply a statement of fact), so I'm willing to call a truce...

It was.

I guess instead of the response there, I should say that

my posts are not supposed to be literary content nor musical content.

Clandestino
07-21-2005, 06:27 PM
where the fuck has jekka been that she thinks wal-mart is the only company that doesn't allow people to work over 40 hrs so they won't be full-time?

re: posts 1-150
manny, is an asshole and on his highhorse about every fucking thing. it cracks me the fuck up though! :lmao

Clandestino
07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
another funny thing i love about manny and jekka is... how, when you read jekka's posts, you can see why manny says a lot of the shit he does.. it is because jekka will bitch(and i mean bitch) slap him if he chooses to say something else... i know who wears the pants in that relationship!

Duff McCartney
07-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Ice Cold!!

duncan_21
07-21-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't boycott wal mart, but I do everything in my power not to buy from them. Only time I've went there was when I worked 3-11 and they were the only place open to buy groceries from.

smeagol
07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Actually I agree 100% with Manny, Jekka and Spurster's position.

It's pretty obvious why many (not all) American companies, specially the ones that manufacture stuff, move their facilities overseas. Becasue they can get away with stuff they could only dream with getting away here. And that makes their bottom line look better.

As for buying or not buying things from Walmart, well its a personal choice and I don't think its laughable.

bigzak25
07-21-2005, 07:30 PM
gotdam clan! :lmao

MannyIsGod
07-21-2005, 07:55 PM
My boycott of Walmart started before I even met Jekka, and hers started after she met me.

So yes, I only believe what I do because of Jessica. That is obviously how I came to my choice.

bigzak25
07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
In all fairness clan, Jekka has put a skirt on you a time or two. :lmao

bigzak25
07-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Workers Rights Group Says NFL, NBA Jerseys Are Manufactured in Sweatshop

washington post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/22/AR2005072201597.html)

Saturday, July 23, 2005; Page E02

NBA and NFL jerseys are being manufactured in a Honduran factory where workers who earn 19 cents per garment in sweatshop conditions are producing $75 jerseys, a human rights organization asserted yesterday.

"There's something wrong with the NFL and NBA players financing their strike fund and their union from royalties made on the backs of women locked in sweatshops across the developing world, who are denied their rights, paid starvation wages and would be fired the first time the boss even suspected them of trying to organize to defend their rights," said Charles Kernaghan , director of the National Labor Committee, a human rights group that focuses on workers' rights.

Kernaghan made his allegations at a news conference yesterday held outside the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York.

Massachusetts-based Reebok issued a response disputing many of the allegations contained in the committee's report and announced a plan for an independent assessment of the factory's conditions.

The NBA issued the following statement: "Reebok has assured us that the National Labor Committee report contains numerous inaccuracies. In addition, Reebok is a member of the Fair Labor Association, which has accredited Reebok's global program for the manufacturing of its footwear and apparel."

The NFL said, "Reebok has assured us that the allegations in the report contain many inaccuracies."

-- Thomas Heath

Shelly
07-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Sorry...some of you will have to find dates elsewhere...:(

Wal-Mart Nixes 'Singles Shopping'

Sat Jul 23,12:04 PM ET

Wal-Mart has ditched a program that helped single shoppers find love in the discount store's aisles.

Officials at Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., ordered their Roanoke store to put an end to Singles Shopping, the only program of its kind at Wal-Mart's U.S. stores.

Taking a cue from Wal-Marts in Germany, the month-old program encouraged customers on Friday evenings to pick up a red bow they could place on their shopping carts as an invitation to other singles. "Flirt points" were set up in various sections of the store.

A Wal-Mart spokesman declined to comment on the reason behind the program's cancellation. But customer Dale Firebaugh, who showed up Friday night hoping to meet his match, said store employees told him several people had complained.

"I'm disappointed," said Firebaugh, 63. "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone?"

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

Guru of Nothing
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
DAMN! I completely missed this gem of a thread.

I don't boycott Wal-Mart, but generally speaking I usually go to Target 'cause the women who shop there are so much hotter.

Gatita
11-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Bump

Mark in Austin
11-11-2005, 08:14 AM
...generally speaking I usually go to Target 'cause the women who shop there are so much hotter.

:lol truth.