PDA

View Full Version : Larry's Wanted Steph out of Athens

ducks
07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Larry's breaking point

Wanted Steph out of Athens

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Larry Brown tries to get point across to Stephon Marbury at Athens Olympics.
Stephon Marbury has a history with Larry Brown, one that is neither peaceful nor successful.

Less than one week before the Olympics began last August in Athens, Larry Brown met with officials from USA Basketball and lobbied to have Marbury cut and sent home, along with another unidentified player, prior to the Opening Ceremonies.

Several sources with knowledge of the meeting confirmed the account, which ended, of course, with Marbury remaining on the team as its only true point guard and the U.S. finishing a disappointing third in the basketball tournament.

The Olympic experience was a regrettable one for Brown and Marbury but it is also one that is worth keeping in mind if Brown decides to become Marbury's 11th NBA coach in 10 seasons and his fourth with the Knicks in 19 months.

Does their six-week test run last summer suggest that Brown and Marbury cannot peacefully coexist and even thrive together? No. But based solely on the recent history between the demanding coach and the headstrong point guard, the possibility of a rocky relationship exists.

Brown wants to do things, as he often says, "the right way." And Marbury does things his way.

"It can work," says former Knick Mark Jackson. "If everyone is all about winning it will work. With Larry Brown, you will find out a lot about players pretty quickly. Either you want to work with him and get better or you don't."

Jackson played under Brown with the Clippers and Pacers and knows firsthand how difficult it can be as the point guard in Brown's system.

"You've got to be willing to learn and you've got to be willing to listen," Jackson said yesterday. "You have to take some of the things he says and use them to make yourself better. And you have to take some of the things he says and let it go in one ear and out the other.

"Look at what happened with Chauncey Billups in Detroit. He was a guy who struggled at first. He and Larry didn't always see eye-to-eye. But then he was the MVP of the Finals and had another great year. Coach Brown helped him become a better player. He can do the same with Steph."

In fairness, Brown coached Marbury for less than two months last summer. And even Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who was Brown's Olympic assistant, acknowledged that Marbury had the toughest assignment because he had to learn Brown's system on the fly.

In five opening-round games, Marbury made just six of 30 shots from the floor but did have 17 assists and only three turnovers. In a quarterfinal victory over Spain, Marbury broke the single-game scoring record for the United States with 31 points. The day before the breakout performance, Marbury had expressed frustration about playing in Brown's system.

"If I was on a different team I would play totally different," Marbury said. "If I was on Puerto Rico I would be totally different from how I play on this team. We have so many guys on this team who are talented, you pretty much aren't looking to score."

Marbury is a scoring point guard who has a tendency to dominate the ball. Brown wants his point guards to keep the ball moving. Because Brown had so much success switching Allen Iverson to shooting guard, there is a possibility that he would try the same experiment with Marbury.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas has vehemently denied that he would trade Marbury. Of course, Thomas may have to revise those feelings if Brown feels he cannot get through to Marbury.

"There's got to be a give and take," Jackson added. "They are going to butt heads because when you are the point guard with Larry Brown that happens. But I think Steph should also realize the type of impact coach Brown can have.

"The Knicks will be getting a coach who is a great teacher. He's very demanding and he's never satisfied, especially with his point guard. But he's also a winner and what I like about him is that he can walk into a situation where he clearly doesn't have the best team and get the most out of everybody. Nobody can do that any better than coach Brown."

Originally published on July 21, 2005

drivanroca
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Less than one week before the Olympics began last August in Athens, Larry Brown met with officials from USA Basketball and lobbied to have Marbury cut and sent home, along with another unidentified player, prior to the Opening Ceremonies.

Lebron??? :blah

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Carmelo.

pache100
07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Carmelo.

I think Carmelo, too. From all accounts I read, Lebron bent over backward to learn Larry and Pop's system and what they wanted him to do (even if it was come off the bench), and he did a commendable job. And, they appreciated it. Carmelo was only interested in what Carmelo wanted (and it sure wan't coming off the bench).

To me, that is the indicator of the difference in the maturity of the two at the point of last summer. I think Carmelo learned a lot during the season this year, and probably matured some. But, I don't know if he'd act any differently if he were put in the same situation today.

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
james does not like larry

pache100
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
james does not like larry

Why do you say that? Any evidence?

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:30 AM
it was reported he was not happy with his playing in the game

DDS4
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Playing the right way = Brown's way

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:38 AM
brown = hyrpicate

pache100
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
it was reported he was not happy with his playing in the game

I read that, too. But he sat down and shut up and did what he was told. There was nothing there that indicated to me he did not like Brown; if he didn't like him and respect him, I don't think he would have put that much effort into pleasing him. That's maturity. All Carmelo did was whine. That's what I was talking about.

gus
07-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I respect Marbury for what he did in the Olympics. At the end he finished playing very well, and fighted. He'll be fine with Larry.

Gus

waly.mg
07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Marbury sucks in Athens

The only thing that i can remember is: He broke Oberto´s Finger and he made an uppercup to Wolkowisky eye, without the refs called the foul

gus
07-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Waly that was biased.

Marbury torched Spain with 31 points. And I think put us 18. I think at the end he acted thugish because of desesparation, but he played well.

Gus

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
brown = hyrpicate

that is aewsmoe.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
brown = hyrpicate

WTF?

Larry Brown has herpes?

GrandeDavid
07-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Marbury's a freakin' headcase and what could've years ago been the start of a Hall of fame career has turned out to be the road of a malcontent journeyman. Sad. Dumb ass never should've left KG.

SenorSpur
07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Marbury's a freakin' headcase and what could've years ago been the start of a Hall of fame career has turned out to be the road of a malcontent journeyman. Sad. Dumb ass never should've left KG.

His selfishness came to light when he was in Minnesota and decided he wouldn't play alongside his pal KG. He couldn't handle another player on the same team making more money than him or having more touches than him - and these guys were the best of friends too.

He's never won anything and unless he decides to acquiesce to Brown's teachings, he'll never win anything.

BTW, he's scheduled to make in excess of 20 mil per season during the final couple of years of his current contract. The knicks financial woes continue.

Spurologist
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Larry to New York? Larry and Stephon again? A match made in heaven.

Summers
07-21-2005, 01:34 PM
WTF?

Larry Brown has herpes?

:lol

Sense
07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
WTF?

Larry Brown has herpes?

:lmao

thats mister ducks for ya

milkyway21
07-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Marbury sucks in Athens

The only thing that i can remember is: He broke Oberto´s Finger and he made an uppercup to Wolkowisky eye, without the refs called the foulbreaking a record means "something", man, 31 points?

and you sound it like he did all those uppercups and breaking Oberto's finger intentional...
it wasn't. :rolleyes

SequSpur
07-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Anyone who is looking to hire Larry Brown is stupid.

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 07:45 AM

Melo, melo, melo and ... MELO