PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever purchased or run a delivery route?

Drachen
08-22-2013, 09:50 PM
My job hunt is going...slow, so I am trying to expand my horizons and am thinking about buying myself a job. Route running seems like a decent possibility to make Ok money, but the cool thing about it is expansion opportunities (hire deliverers and purchase a second route, and so on). Does anyone have any advice on this subject? Experience? what am I missing (other than the fact that I would have to come up with some cash to purchase a route).

Rogue
08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
I believe an Oxford English dictionary would do more good to you than anything would, tbh.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Just that if these were easy to do as you describe, someone wouldn't be selling the routes...

bus driver
08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
you can probably kick the 11 yrs kids ass in my neighborhood and take his paper route. that ass hole cant throw the damn paper on the drive way correctly; then it is like he throws two at a time cause they are so close to each other.

TeyshaBlue
08-23-2013, 10:29 AM
My job hunt is going...slow, so I am trying to expand my horizons and am thinking about buying myself a job. Route running seems like a decent possibility to make Ok money, but the cool thing about it is expansion opportunities (hire deliverers and purchase a second route, and so on). Does anyone have any advice on this subject? Experience? what am I missing (other than the fact that I would have to come up with some cash to purchase a route).

Any particular product?

Blake
08-23-2013, 10:30 AM
I'll be honest, I've never heard of purchasing routes. What would you deliver?

Spur|n|Austin
08-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Buying a job? This is new to me also; I take it you mean an investment, correct?

Drachen
08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Just that if these were easy to do as you describe, someone wouldn't be selling the routes...

Thus the question about experience

Big Empty
08-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Please tell me you didnt get inspired my the movie Premium Rush

Drachen
08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I'll clarify later, I'm on my way to an interview

Drachen
08-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I'll be honest, I've never heard of purchasing routes. What would you deliver?
You can purchase routes for anything from candy vending machines to fedex ground routes. As an example, There is a route for sale in kerrville with Snyder Lance it currently has 16 stores, you get protected territory and you just keep the stores stocked and you get a commission of of the sales. There are also independent routes where you can find your own distributors and deliver various products to retailers.

Buying a job? This is new to me also; I take it you mean an investment, correct?
Yes, you buy and own the route and I would work it too.

Please tell me you didnt get inspired my the movie Premium Rush
Never heard of it.

TeyshaBlue I am not sure, just trying to get info right now. Also funds play an important factor

SnakeBoy
08-23-2013, 01:19 PM
What type of work did you do? What type are you looking for?

Spur|n|Austin
08-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I'll clarify later, I'm on my way to an interview

So how'd the interview go?

Drachen
08-23-2013, 01:43 PM
So how'd the interview go?

It went OK, it's not something that I am very excited about since it is for insurance sales. I have done it before and I just wasn't very good at it. I actually quit because I got my wife pregnant with our first and it was too up and down (100% commission). I have two more interviews to go and I can probably have this job if I want it (just the way this type of sales job works), but I am not sure.

Chief Brody
08-23-2013, 01:45 PM

jag
08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
It went OK, it's not something that I am very excited about since it is for insurance sales. I have done it before and I just wasn't very good at it. I actually quit because I got my wife pregnant with our first and it was too up and down (100% commission). I have two more interviews to go and I can probably have this job if I want it (just the way this type of sales job works), but I am not sure.

This is random, but I have a friend whose mom has virtually no skills or ability and chilled at home all day shopping online. She started buying the most random shit off ebay (like bulk/lot items) and selling the items individually. Now she sells tons of stuff on ebay and makes like $40k a year. Her husband owns a restaurant and is gone a lot so he just wanted something for her to do so she'd STFU and stop spending all his money. I understand that is not a lot of money but she sells worthless garbage, like free Victoria's Secret magazines for $5, and actually turns a profit. I'd rather do that than deliver vending machines. People will apparently buy anything.

Drachen
08-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Most recently I was working in the education industry in an operational role. Most of my experience, however, has been in finance / banking which is where I want to be. I just earned my MBA with a finance concentration in December. I would like to be a financial analyst or credit analyst (to start). I have experience with the latter on the consumer side.

Chief Brody
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
This is random, but I have a friend whose mom has virtually no skills or ability and chilled at home all day shopping online. She started buying the most random shit off ebay (like bulk/lot items) and selling the items individually. Now she sells tons of stuff on ebay and makes like $40k a year. Her husband owns a restaurant and is gone a lot so he just wanted something for her to do so she'd STFU and stop spending all his money. I understand that is not a lot of money but she sells worthless garbage, like free Victoria's Secret magazines for $5, and actually turns a profit. I'd rather do that than deliver vending machines. People will apparently buy anything.
+1...funny you mention this b/c my driver today is inside Dadeland Mall shopping as we speak. He justs buys a bunch of shoes (mostly Jordans) that are on sale and sells them for double on ebay. He's been doing it for 6-7 months now w/ success.

Blake
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Funny, every time i try to sell something on ebay, i don't sell it.

mrsmaalox
08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Is it something like Schwann's? My Schwann's guy is a teacher, but he prefers the route thing because of same money, better hours, less hassle.

Blake
08-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Is it something like Schwann's? My Schwann's guy is a teacher, but he prefers the route thing because of same money, better hours, less hassle.

lolwut

Schwann guy is pulling your leg

mrsmaalox
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
lolwut

Schwann guy is pulling your leg

Well he might be, but all I know is he's a pretty happy, smart guy who goes on vacation every couple of months and has a new house with a stay at home wife.

Spur|n|Austin
08-23-2013, 02:48 PM

I'm still baffled on how Schwan's is a multi-billion dollar company. I know zero people who have frozen foods delivered to their homes.

mrsmaalox
08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm still baffled on how Schwan's is a multi-billion dollar company. I know zero people who have frozen foods delivered to their homes.

Um, you know one :D

Drachen
08-23-2013, 02:51 PM
I haven't looked at schwans specifically, but I would assume so, though they would be focused on the consumer rater than commercial like the ones that I have been looking at.

Spur|n|Austin
08-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Um, you know one :D

Touche!

cantthinkofanything
08-23-2013, 02:59 PM

everyone already has dirty pics of your mom

Blake
08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Well he might be, but all I know is he's a pretty happy, smart guy who goes on vacation every couple of months and has a new house with a stay at home wife.

I knew a guy too that delivered for them for a year that has a different story.

He didn't get summers off like teachers do, didn't make 50k and definitely worked plenty of days past sundown.

He said the best time was the two weeks of training where they sampled all the foods.

mrsmaalox
08-23-2013, 03:12 PM
I knew a guy too that delivered for them for a year that has a different story.

He didn't get summers off like teachers do, didn't make 50k and definitely worked plenty of days past sundown.

He said the best time was the two weeks of training where they sampled all the foods.

Well they all work mostly past sundown because that's when the customers are home.

Blake
08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Well they all work mostly past sundown because that's when the customers are home.

Welp, I guess some guys prefer working in the evening over the morning.

DMC
08-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Presentation is the key. I see people trying to sell shit that they poorly describe and price too high. They have one picture and it's a stock photo. They're too fucking lazy to actually put effort into it.

Blake
08-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Presentation is the key.

Yeah that has to be it. I may keep trying until I figure out what makes a person want to view an item.

Wild Cobra
08-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Thus the question about experience

There are established sales/deliveries like Snap-On and Mac for tools, Schwans for food, and I'm sure several others. I can't imagine anything like this being a good steady salary. I see this good for those already retired or wealthy, and just want to work part time to stay working.

Link: Schwans (http://www.schwans.com/)

I should start up with buying Schwans again. I used to be a regular customer in the 90's before I was laid off from a good paying job. Their food products are top notch, and their bacon is about 50% meat rather than 80+% fat.

http://content.schwans.com/sdcImages/productImages/58108XL.jpg (http://www.schwans.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=58108&c1=10428)

Drachen
08-23-2013, 06:10 PM
There are established sales/deliveries like Snap-On and Mac for tools, Schwans for food, and I'm sure several others. I can't imagine anything like this being a good steady salary. I see this good for those already retired or wealthy, and just want to work part time to stay working.

Link: Schwans (http://www.schwans.com/)

I should start up with buying Schwans again. I used to be a regular customer in the 90's before I was laid off from a good paying job. Their food products are top notch, and their bacon is about 50% meat rather than 80+% fat.

http://content.schwans.com/sdcImages/productImages/58108XL.jpg (http://www.schwans.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=58108&c1=10428)

holy moly! I hate bacon fat. you might have just given me a reason to contact them. You should see me at the grocery store going through every darn bacon pack trying to find one that actually has some meat

Wild Cobra
08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
holy moly! I hate bacon fat. you might have just given me a reason to contact them. You should see me at the grocery store going through every darn bacon pack trying to find one that actually has some meat

I seldom buy bacon any more. Love it though. I'm the same way in the stores.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Most recently I was working in the education industry in an operational role. Most of my experience, however, has been in finance / banking which is where I want to be. I just earned my MBA with a finance concentration in December. I would like to be a financial analyst or credit analyst (to start). I have experience with the latter on the consumer side.
You've prolly looked into this already, but JPMorgan has like 4,000 openings right now. They're hiring like crazy.

Maybe it's different in commercial banking and "analyst" means something different, but on the investment banking/securities/etc. side MBAs are applying for associate level position.

jag
08-24-2013, 10:50 AM
+1...funny you mention this b/c my driver today is inside Dadeland Mall shopping as we speak. He justs buys a bunch of shoes (mostly Jordans) that are on sale and sells them for double on ebay. He's been doing it for 6-7 months now w/ success.

I have a really good Jew friend who's in residency at Brown right now, and all through college he paid our fraternity dues with money he got from selling tickets to Katy Perry, Ashley Simpson, Miley Cyrus, etc. Shit was hilarious. It was smart though because he'd stalk ticket sites and buy 5-8 quality tickets as soon as they became available. Then he'd wait until like 2 weeks before the show and sell them for like to 5x more than he paid. He tried to find shows that young girls would go to because he figured their stupid parents would drop big money on birthdays and such so their daughters could go see those terrible acts.

This isn't a new concept by any means, but not many 19 year olds think that way. Dude had a strong Jew game. Great learning experience, tbh.

Nbadan
08-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Then he'd wait until like 2 weeks before the show and sell them for like to 5x more than he paid. He tried to find shows that young girls would go to because he figured their stupid parents would drop big money on birthdays and such so their daughters could go see those terrible acts.

Teen shows and George Straight apparently......Where are you George?

Bill_Brasky
08-25-2013, 10:21 AM
I used to run a route for McKesson. Made good money for awhile but the pay steadily declined as the guy giving the routes got to be a greedy faggot so i left him high and dry the second i collected my last check.

EmerilLagasse
08-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Bacon fat rules!!

TeyshaBlue
08-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I used to run a route for McKesson. Made good money for awhile but the pay steadily declined as the guy giving the routes got to be a greedy faggot so i left him high and dry the second i collected my last check.

lol...I used to work for McK too.