PDA

View Full Version : Lakers talking to Stoudamire, Payton

ducks
07-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Lakers talking to Stoudamire, Payton

Aaron Goodwin, the agent for both Gary Payton and Damon Stoudamire, said Wednesday there is mutual interest between his clients and the Lakers and there have been "positive conversations" about one of the veteran guards possibly joining the Lakers.

The Lakers are offering just a two-year deal at $5 million annually. Goodwin said both Payton, who played for LA during the 2003-04 season and turns 37 on Saturday, and Stoudamire, who turns 32 in September and also has talked to Houston, Orlando and Miami, are looking for longer deals.

But Goodwin said both would consider the Lakers because "they are a great organization" -- a surprising possibility for Payton, who had harsh words for them after he was traded to Boston last summer.

The Lakers also have contacted free-agent guard Tyronn Lue, 28, a former Laker.

The Lakers would have just three guards on their roster -- Kobe Bryant, second-year player Sasha Vujacic and rookie Von Wafer -- after agreeing to a trade sending starting point guard Chucky Atkins to Washington. They missed out on Antonio Daniels, who agreed to a deal with the Wizards.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball...21.379b2a2.html

SenorSpur
07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
The Fakers must be desparate if they are entertaining the idea of bringing back GP. In fact, GP must be desparate too.

drivanroca
07-21-2005, 09:34 AM
:spin

pjjrfan
07-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Does Payton still have anything left in the tank? Didn't GP hate the triangle offense? I think he said it stymied his game. I know the Lakers don't want to get tied down to any long term contracts so they can free up some cap space for down the line, so I don't see them with very many options.

sa_butta
07-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Does Payton still have anything left in the tank? Didn't GP hate the triangle offense? I think he said it stymied his game. I know the Lakers don't want to get tied down to any long term contracts so they can free up some cap space for down the line, so I don't see them with very many options.I think he did hate the triangle, but teams are not exactly lining up to give him another shot.

boutons
07-21-2005, 09:43 AM
yes, I remember he wasn't happy with the triangle. He's more of a free-lance, grind-it-out guy. There wasn't much welcome at LA for his transition tactic of dribbling into the low-block and hitting that little fadeaway of his along the baseline, much like Sam Cassell does.

nkdlunch
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Payton hasn't retired yet!? Where's he been?

:lol lakers are pathetic

caŽlo
07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
if he hates the triangle then the lakers are definitely a no no for him.

most especially since phils coming back.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Payton is not a fit for the triangle. Stoudemire on the other hand is more in the vain of Ron Harper and Steve Kerr. You know, if Steve Kerr were pothead with a rap sheet longer than his arm.