PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi and Green; have they learned how to shoot off the dribble??

Galileo
08-23-2013, 10:52 PM
OK, Kawhi and Green are both great on the D, and on the Three. But can they shoot off the dribble? Both are all-star material of they can shoot off the dribble. Any hard new not bogus rumor as to if they are doing this?

:bang

Man In Black
08-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I don't want Danny Green to learn how to shoot off the dribble. I want him to pass out to a better passer and find his way back behind the 3 point line ALA Reggie Miller and Dale Ellis. When MIA invited him to attack the rim, that was their plan all along for those games, it would have been so much better if he just backed off and setup a play. Lesson learned. If your role is to be a dead-eye shooter, then just play your role.
Kawhi should be able to attack off the dribble some this upcoming season. He just has to trust in his growing skills.

cd021
08-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Kawhi

1. Attack the rim off the P&R

2. Knife his way into crowded paint (he seems to lack confidence when lane seems crowded) allowing him to use his athleticism, length, and touch for easier shots for himself, teammates or just getting to the line. He's shown glimpses (the last two OKC games were good examples)

Green

1. Shoot off the dribble. Has confidence and stoke to pull up into open space after hard close out. Lacks handles to dribble to rim without losing control or simply passing out. Neal has that ability and even developed a floater once he got close enough to the rim. Green is bigger, longer and a better athlete to go along with his excellent shooting touch. Him being able to attack off the dribble makes the Spurs starting core a much more potent lineup and

2. Command respect on offense. Be more aggressive force and or make defenders to account for you on every possession. He did that through much of the finals. As a result Duncan had single coverage on him for much of game 6 and 7. Parker as well.

If they can improve in those areas we could have the best starting lineup in the NBA.

Richard Simmons
08-23-2013, 11:32 PM
:lol

Galileo
08-23-2013, 11:37 PM
good comments so far, thank you.

rick1991
08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Green doesn't have allstar potential. He feeds off our stars. on a team like the bobcats he would struggle to stay on the roster. He is a product of our system. Having said that Green has worked his ass off and is a great player for the spurs. I likr Green but to say he has allstar potential is far fetched

exstatic
08-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Wouldn't Green actually have to learn TO dribble, first?

Poolboy5623
08-24-2013, 09:53 AM
The spurs played into the middle of June...that was a little over 2 months ago. How much do you think one can improve, in that amount of time?? Especially, considering they need rest..especially kawhi. I'm sure Danny is still hungover, from his post finals celebrations.

bklynspursfan
08-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Kawhi is much closer than Green is. Personally, I'd love if Green could hit those floaters as well he seems to get opportunities just never capitalizes. Both need to work on their ball handling, but Kawhi has shown he can create for himself with the ball, Green needs to be dribbling a ball as much as he can this off season.

Spur|n|Austin
08-24-2013, 01:31 PM
No they have not acquired a new skill in two months; as MIB said, we needed DG to continue his role that he played all season up until Game 6. We also didn't need any offseason changes from KL besides rest, IMO.

I'm what SBM and that idiot TGY would call a Popsucker, but I'll admit, we got out coached and lost the LOB from our grips.

Mark my words, we will be back this season, and we will win.

SpurCharger
08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Kawhi Can...... He Did it At San Diego St.... Im Sure We will see more of it this year....

FuzzyLumpkins
08-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Kawhi shot a pull up jumper at the elbow for most of the season. That stepback he had against James in the finals was sweet. You should pay better attention.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-24-2013, 02:35 PM
No they have not acquired a new skill in two months; as MIB said, we needed DG to continue his role that he played all season up until Game 6. We also didn't need any offseason changes from KL besides rest, IMO.

I'm what SBM and that idiot TGY would call a Popsucker, but I'll admit, we got out coached and lost the LOB from our grips.

Mark my words, we will be back this season, and we will win.

Actually he has been working with the training and player development staff all offseason. Players do learn new moves and this is the time of the year that they develop said moves. Or do they just magically develop some other time?

therealtruth
08-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Kawhi shot a pull up jumper at the elbow for most of the season. That stepback he had against James in the finals was sweet. You should pay better attention.

T-Mac showed him that. I don't know why we didn't keep T-Mac.

wildbill2u
08-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Kids learn to shoot layups off the dribble in their first attempt to play organized ball. Learning to dribble is an acquired skill that takes years, but I doubt anyone that arrives in the NBA without the skill has a natural ability to do much about learning it. They can improve, but probably won't achieve a true guard skill level.

rick1991
08-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Who is to say he won't come back - in regards to tmac

FuzzyLumpkins
08-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Kids learn to shoot layups off the dribble in their first attempt to play organized ball. Learning to dribble is an acquired skill that takes years, but I doubt anyone that arrives in the NBA without the skill has a natural ability to do much about learning it. They can improve, but probably won't achieve a true guard skill level.

Meh. This is not the 90s where prospects come in with developed games. Leonard's ball handling improved markedly last offseason and he has played closer to a 4 for his college career. If he wasn't asked to do it, he wasn't asked to do it. He has the awareness to not charge when he drives the lane, Green's huge weakness, and you could see him trying to feel his way out. This offseason I am guessing that they are taking it from there. You very well could be right that he never gets it but at the same time he is 21 years old and more than young enough to see his game markedly improve from year to year.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-24-2013, 05:46 PM
have you even seen kawhi play?

Obstructed_View
08-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Yes, more Spurs need to be able to go one-on-one and shoot without passing. Relying on passing and ball-movement is lame. Why not have the guy who makes you cringe every time he puts the ball on the floor also jack up a jumper? Great plan.

BackHome
08-25-2013, 08:29 PM
I just want Green to learn how to dribble the ball!...........COME ON MAN....

cd021
08-25-2013, 08:41 PM
The spurs played into the middle of June...that was a little over 2 months ago. How much do you think one can improve, in that amount of time?? Especially, considering they need rest..especially kawhi. I'm sure Danny is still hungover, from his post finals celebrations.

3 months, 2 weeks is plenty of time to improve. It doesn't takes a year and a well done montage clip from them to improve their dribbling and driving skills.

cd021
08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Green doesn't have allstar potential. He feeds off our stars. on a team like the bobcats he would struggle to stay on the roster. He is a product of our system. Having said that Green has worked his ass off and is a great player for the spurs. I likr Green but to say he has allstar potential is far fetched

Green isn't a fringe player on a bad team. He can flat out shoot. He is productive in our system not necessarily a product. Over the past two seasons he's hit 43% of his 3pts and and has shown he can be a strong defender. Even on bad teams with a lack of talent that's still valuable.

racm
08-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Leonard's pull up jumper is the second best behind Parker, tbh.

SpurAddict561
08-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm not concerned about Kawhi's progression at all. Green, on the other hand, needs to learn how to dribble and not be a one trick pony. He got exposed big time in Game6-7

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Green "All-Star material"?! :lmao

Danny is a fine 3-and-D guy who can't dribble, finish, pass off a drive or pull-up to save himself. His inability to make a layup or pass while driving are his major flaws, and it would be nice if he'd develop a pull-up jumper, but I wouldn't hold your breath. He is what he is.

Kawhi actually has a nice pull-up from the elbow, but he could improve from the wings... just a matter of reps methinks.

Holden_Caulfield
08-27-2013, 04:33 AM
i'd rather green learn how to make layups than dribble. both would be a welcomed miracle.