PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs to workout Royal Ivey

Uriel
08-25-2013, 04:04 AM
According to Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com, 31-year old free agent veteran point guard Royal Ivey will workout for the San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks in the near future.

Ivey stands at 6'3" and in his nine NBA seasons, has primarily played the backup point guard position. Last season with the Philadelphia 76ers, he averaged 3.2 points, shot 43% from the field, and 42% from 3-point range in 13.2 minutes per game. Ivey participated in 53 games for the 76ers. He earned $1.2 million last season with the 76ers according to Basketball-Reference.com.

With the Spurs already stacked with point guards (Tony Parker, Cory Joseph, Nando De Colo, Patty Mills) it wouldn't make a lot of sense on paper to sign Ivey unless there was a plan in the future to trade one or two of their other point guards. Aside from Parker who one would consider un-tradeable at this stage in his career, Joseph, De Colo, and Mills are all still fairly young by NBA standards and have a lot more upside in the future then Ivey would have at 31.

However, there still is a vacant 15th roster spot open in San Antonio, and after Deshaun Thomas decided to play in Europe, a player like Ivey could fill that position or perhaps a player invited to training camp, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the Spurs leave the spot open going into next season.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/august/report-spurs-to-workout-royal-ivey.html

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2013, 04:31 AM
I think I am better than him, can I work out for the Spurs??

lol Spurs

venitian navigator
08-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Ivey has two skllls : defense and three point shooting. Looks to me like a mini-Bowen.
In the occasional defensive line up, he could make a lot of sense, considering he could probably guard three position (pg. g. and sf).
In the right environment, and with a definite role, he could still be useful.
What I don't understand is if the Spurs are willing to sacrifice someone to make a trade for him (in this case Mills seem the most probable to be traded, considering the new Philli's coach) or they see him just like the potential 15th man...

bigfan
08-25-2013, 09:01 AM
If Nando disappeared I would not be heartbroken.

Budkin
08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Another position we don't need.

DapDaGenius
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Okay good joke OP, Jay Z's daughter is not that tall.

LOL but umm...I kinda want Nando gone, so I'd welcome this guy...kinda.

CitizenDwayne
08-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Really? You guys would take Ivey over Nando? Nando has his flaws, but damn...

Sean Cagney
08-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Another position we don't need.

playblair
08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
ivey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nando............................ cojo/ivey/kawhi/green/duncan defensive lineup :wow .............................

superbigtime
08-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Another non impact practice guy.

Holden_Caulfield
08-25-2013, 06:55 PM
lol the fuck are they doing

Bruno
08-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, let's see:
- Joseph hasn't been able to hit perimeter shots in the NBA which is a huge problem.
- Mills has shown serious limitations and is a bad fit with Spurs bench.
- De Colo hasn't been really convincing at the PG spot and will likely be moved at SG.

Looking at a solid but limited vet like Ivey makes some sense especially given that he will be a nice fit with Spurs bench. Now, I wouldn't do it mostly because I really believe in Joseph but that's just me.

Spursfanfromafar
08-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Only trouble is Ivey has mostly been used to defend shooting guards and play as a scorer-PG who won't handle the ball much. Maybe it is a function of the roles he was asked to play in his previous teams - OKC & PHI. He was well known for his defense, but his current metrics don't read too well. His rep though that is he is an intelligent role player. Maybe, Pop thinks that he could play Jacque Vaughn's role.

slick'81
08-26-2013, 02:47 AM
6'3 yeah he ain't playing sf

exstatic
08-26-2013, 07:19 AM
lol the fuck are they doing

Training.
Camp.
Bodies.

You don't go into camp with 15 guys. You need practice bodies. At least five guys.

Russo21
08-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Maybe they have a Sign and Trade in the works? How many shithouse backup PG's can one team need

99 Problems
08-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Nine season Vet says it all. Would be good for CJ.

Holt's Cat
08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Nothing wrong with a little competition.