PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: kobe, still the most relevant nba player

RsxPiimp
08-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Kobe Bryant has been among the most culturally relevant players in the NBA for nearly all of his 17-season career. When not winning championships or scoring titles (and often when doing so), Bryant has been one of the more divisive stars in league history, earning criticism for perceived selfishness and nevertheless standing out as one of the most talented and committed players the league has ever seen. No matter what he does, people notice it.

It should not come as a great surprise, then, to learn that the younger generation of NBA players looks up to him. As revealed in the annual survey of rookies conducted by John Schuhmann of NBA.com, Bryant is the most common favorite player of this season's incoming class of NBA rookies (via PBT). Here's the voting breakdown from the 36 participants:
1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 21.2 percent

2: LeBron James, Miami -- 15.2 percent

T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas -- 12.1 percent

T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 9.1 percent

This vote is a testament to Kobe's impact, as well as a useful reminder of the sheer force of his accomplishments. Seventeen years after his arrival in the league, Kobe is still relevant enough to top a list of favorite players. No matter what, he keeps himself on people's minds.

Oh, and nabbing that No. 1 spot can't only be a matter of being in the league for a long time. If that were the case, Vince Carter would have been receiving more votes.

Yahoo-

again, nba players, coaches, gm's of all shapes, sizes, color and generation still picks kobe.

:lol @ lebron

Michael Jordan.
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
:lol thread already made
:lol deflecting
:lol clutch gene

Leetonidas
08-27-2013, 08:29 PM
mostly because they probably grew up watching Kobe when they were 5 just like we watched Jordan when we were that age

AaronY
08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
If we were camping and there was a fire and you told that story, afterwards I would go, "good story"

Then I'd turn in

AchillesHeel
08-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Relevant? Only time I see Kirby on sportscenter is when the Lakers are struggling...