PDA

View Full Version : (Glenn) Robinson hoping Texas will hold him

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Robinson hoping Texas will hold him
Al Hamnik
Times Columnist

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2005/07/21/columnists/al_hamnik/9fab1d91facc314f86257044007d4e96.txt

GARY | Image defines us, whether you dig ditches and wipe your nose on your sleeve or earn millions shooting baskets in the NBA.

Gary's Glenn Robinson had some run-ins with the law early in his career and some definite image problems were the result. So when he signed as a free agent late last season with the world champion San Antonio Spurs, it was like learning about formal wear from Martha Stewart.

Robinson needed the makeover. And he doesn't want the experience to end.

"I would love to go back and play for the Spurs," he said this week. "That's the ideal team for me. It's a position that fits me well -- a big shooting forward."

He should know after several paydays with the Milwaukee Bucks, Atlanta Hawks and Philadelphia 76ers while carrying the label of a moody scorer whose defense was suspect. And when it came to media favorites, Robinson was often pushed to the back of that line.

Again, the image issue.

Joining the vanilla Spurs, coached by team-minded Gregg Popovich, was like being named the church choir director. It may have saved Robinson's career.

"I think so," he said. "You have a bunch of good guys and people thought Glenn Robinson couldn't play with the San Antonio Spurs. (But) I don't think my attitude is that bad where I can't play with a certain team.

"I'm not an outcast. Not to knock Rasheed (Wallace), but I don't get 20 techs a year. I don't get into fights. I'm not getting fined every day. I'm not in trouble every week. I'm not a Dennis Rodman."

Never had he seen such rabid fan support and excitement involving a pro sports franchise as he did in San Antonio. Reaching the NBA Finals for the first time in his 11 seasons and seeing the sold-out arenas and worldwide media frenzy actually gave him the schoolboy jitters.

"I probably had the most fun of my NBA career," Robinson said. "I hadn't smiled since I left Milwaukee -- until I went to the San Antonio Spurs. I did prove everybody wrong. I proved I can play defense. That's how I got into the game. I'm not saying I'm Bruce Bowen, a defensive stopper, but I was able to play within the system and that's what it's all about."

At 32, Robinson said he wouldn't mind coming off the bench again on a contending team like the Spurs. On a mediocre or downright lousy team, he'd demand to start. This is, after all, a guy whose career scoring average until last season was 20.8 ppg.

"Tell Pop I'm ready," he said of returning next season.

Better hold that thought.

"The short time Glenn was with us, trying to pick things up, he actually helped us win a few games," Popovich said. "The next week or so, we'll figure out how we're gonna round out our team. Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made."

His new image and good health certainly can't hurt.

Sense
07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Wow, I'm really thinking he's coming back now...

Great to hear he likes to play in SA, shows me he's changed alot.

I'm ready to see him back.

TheTruth
07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
very cool. i guess he liked the kool aid

1Parker1
"I'm not an outcast. Not to knock Rasheed (Wallace), but I don't get 20 techs a year. I don't get into fights. I'm not getting fined every day. I'm not in trouble every week. I'm not a Dennis Rodman."

:lol

Athenea
I want him back :spin

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Did he like the Kool-aid enough to resign for what the Spurs can give him?

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made.

We'll have to see if the Spurs want to offer him anything at all.

SWC Bonfire
07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Sounds like good news. Much better from him than from his agent.

Streakyshooter08
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Good to hear Glenn wants to stay. If he takes the 2.8 mil.(rest of MLE) sign him. They won't get a better backup for Bruce via free agency.

"The next week or so, we'll figure out how we're gonna round out our team. Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made."

Maybe they try to get a trade done? I am exited: either they pull of a trade for a good SF or they sign Glenn. Very good outlook...

Sense
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
I really didn't think he would want to come back. I actually thought he would have an ego...coming from a big city and being a franchise player. But it's always great to hear that a possible starter wants to be in our bench...

Spurs shouldn't screw this up.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-21-2005, 02:20 PM
damnit they better keep himmmmm.....he can be 2nd unit team captain

1Parker1
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Did he like the Kool-aid enough to resign for what the Spurs can give him?

:lol Exactly. If, as he says, this is the first time in his life where he's had fun playing basketball and that he's really about winning...we'll see how much he's willing to compromise and negotiate with the Spurs.

boutons
07-21-2005, 02:24 PM
'I am exited"

self-banned ! :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, he's saying the right things. He clearly hasn't drawn the interest that might have been expected of him this summer.

All the more better for the Spurs. Plug him into the 3 spot on the bench and the Spurs don't have to think about the 3 for two more seasons.

spur219
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I would like to see him signed but at the right price.

ducks
07-21-2005, 02:28 PM
plug him in sign the guy that is playing in summer league good
and let him learn from bowen how to play d for a year on the ir

Solid D
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Never had he seen such rabid fan support and excitement involving a pro sports franchise as he did in San Antonio. Reaching the NBA Finals for the first time in his 11 seasons and seeing the sold-out arenas and worldwide media frenzy actually gave him the schoolboy jitters.

"I probably had the most fun of my NBA career," Robinson said. "I hadn't smiled since I left Milwaukee -- until I went to the San Antonio Spurs. I did prove everybody wrong. I proved I can play defense. That's how I got into the game. I'm not saying I'm Bruce Bowen, a defensive stopper, but I was able to play within the system and that's what it's all about."

Props to San Antonio fans and props to RC and Pop for doing something with Glenn that seemed only remotely possible. I still remember Finals game 1 when the Pistons got off to that 17-4 start and Glenn came in and really made a difference in turning it all around.

I wish him well, wherever he ends up.

TwoHandJam
07-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd love to have Glenn back if his attitude stays the same. His midrange jumper is a key weapon that no other current Spur really has. That, and his willingness to play defense is a huge plus. It's not often that an accomplished 20ppg career scorer wants to stay with your team as a role player.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I would like to see him signed but at the right price.

For Spurs fans that means "vet minimum".

Horry For 3!
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
That is good that tha Big Dog wants to come back and play for us. It is up to the Spurs now to give him a deal.

ducks
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I would give him the full mle if it was avaible which it is not

who are you going to get better

whoever else you get is going to need more time
bruce and him can share the minutes

SenorSpur
07-21-2005, 02:42 PM
It's good to hear - rather surprising - but good news nonetheless. Let's see what the Spurs offer up.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Again, a 2 year deal for the rest of the MLE with a player option after the 1st year might work for both parties. Big Dog gets a full year to prove himself with the Spurs and he can opt out next season to get paid. From the Spurs' perspective, you have a short term, (relatively) low money commitment to a great talent with an attitude conducive to being an effective role player at what is currently your thinnest position. If he opts out next summer, you will have his Early Bird rights.

SenorSpur
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd still like to see the Spurs have another "3" man on the team, who they will groom as Bowen's successor. LJII maybe?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
We'll have to see if the Spurs want to offer him anything at all.

I think Pop was being somewhat CIAesque. He probably is waiting to see what's available in the next few weeks, but I'd be surprised if the Spurs don't have a genuine interest in re-signing Robinson.

wildbill2u
07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Good to hear Glenn wants to stay. If he takes the 2.8 mil.(rest of MLE) sign him. They won't get a better backup for Bruce via free agency.

"The next week or so, we'll figure out how we're gonna round out our team. Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made."

Maybe they try to get a trade done? I am exited: either they pull of a trade for a good SF or they sign Glenn. Very good outlook...

I'm a little surprised at Pop being so non-commital about Glenn's statements. I never expect him to give away much but he could have shown a little more excitement about GRob's attitude toward the Spurs and the organization.

Whether he wants him back for his player skills --and contract numbers--is another question that he probably answered correctly. Maybe I'm asking too much from CIA POP because I really like GROB and was happy with his comments.

spurster
07-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Again, a 2 year deal for the rest of the MLE with a player option after the 1st year might work for both parties. Big Dog gets a full year to prove himself with the Spurs and he can opt out next season to get paid. From the Spurs' perspective, you have a short term, (relatively) low money commitment to a great talent with an attitude conducive to being an effective role player at what is currently your thinnest position. If he opts out next summer, you will have his Early Bird rights.
Send the note to Pop.

Mark in Austin
07-21-2005, 03:32 PM

This is a great quote. Re-sign the Big Dog!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
If nothing else, I think Robinson would make great trade fodder at some point during the season.

Signing him for the right money seems like a no-brainer.

Mark in Austin
07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
The contract would be resonable enough that if things go wrong they can just waive him and tell him a la Mercer.

Ishta
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I would love to see him stay with the Spurs...

ReverendRob
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
According to the article, Glenn made these comments this week, so we know that he isn't eyeballing a deal in the full MLE range. Already with the knowledge of Oberto's deal, he is obviously looking at what we have left of that. It's possible we might be able to get him for LLE but I doubt vet minimum. If he takes the LLE or vet minimum, he is likely to look for someplace he can start so he can get the minutes to make the push for a last decent contract.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
If he wants to come back for our scraps, I'm all for it. A surprising interview.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Back for one year of scraps, then Spurs can hook him up with a MLE level deal next summer and they won't have to use their MLE on him.

Big Dog can spend the rest of his career playing alongside TD. We saw what he can do after a year hanging out on the couch. Imagine what he can do in the postseason after a full season of regular PT.

Manu20
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
I would love to see him back in silver and black.

George Gervin's Afro
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
I would support the Big Dog 100%..

EasilyAmused
07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I still remember Finals game 1 when the Pistons got off to that 17-4 start and Glenn came in and really made a difference in turning it all around.

I was reminded when making videos. (disclaimer: for my own personal use)
It would be nice to have him back.

whottt
07-21-2005, 04:42 PM
The short time Glenn was with us, trying to pick things up, he actually helped us win a few games," Popovich said. "The next week or so, we'll figure out how we're gonna round out our team. Glenn still is somebody we're definitely talking about, but no decision has been made

To me this sounds like Pop doesn't want the Big Dogg back...it sounds more like he's trying to put in a good word for him to encourage other teams.

I personally would like him to come back...we didn't even scratch the surface of what the guy is capable of...

He would be a 4th guy capable of putting this team on his back and carrying it offensively....

I am surprised he's not the top priority to resign right now.

TheTruth
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Sounds to me like Pop doesn't want to burn that bridge too early, just in case any of his other 3 spot options fall through. If the Spurs sign the Dogg it will be late in the offseason.

grjr
07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I am surprised he's not the top priority to resign right now.

Maybe he is and maybe Pop has conveyed some things to Big Dog that he's not telling the press. You know how Pop is.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Pop is the Alan Greenspan of NBA executives. I gave up trying to read into his FA/trade statements a long time ago.

timvp
07-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Glenn Robinson is a great fall back plan. If the Spurs can't find anyone else to fit into that backup swingman position who is younger and better, then Big Doggie is as good as you are going to get on the open market.

Whoosh.

Dre_7
07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I say pay him what they can! A full summer and season with the Spurs and their system, and I think he plays alot more minutes in next years finals!

Spurs need to keep a strong bench!

kevm2
07-21-2005, 08:58 PM
The Spurs aren't going to find anyone near Glenn Robinson for the LLE or the 2.8 million or so we have of the MLE, so we need to get this guy immediately!

Rick Von Braun
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
This is very good news. I don't remember a time when the Spurs have had so much tradable assets and flexibility.

milkyway21
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
"I would love to go back and play for the Spurs," he said this week. "That's the ideal team for me. It's a position that fits me well -- a big shooting forward."

Never had he seen such rabid fan support and excitement involving a pro sports franchise as he did in San Antonio

"I probably had the most fun of my NBA career," Robinson said. "I hadn't smiled since I left Milwaukee -- until I went to the San Antonio Spursthere he goes again :D

yeah I noticed HOW BIG was your smile after the Spurs won the 2005 title, Big Dog, I have here some photoshots of that after game 7. It was Texas-wide:D

I did prove everybody wrong.
I proved I can play defense.

At 32, Robinson said he wouldn't mind coming off the bench again on a contending team like the Spurs.

wow:wow. I'd like the Big Dog to be in Spurs uniform next season. These team has full of people from other teams(Rasho, Brent, BigDog, Horry, Bowen etc), wanting to join because they like the organization , the fans and their teammates, and the discipline. That's why they keep on winning-there's respect, love, & TEAM CHEMISTRY.

Leetonidas
07-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Bring him back. :)

Kona
07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
this would be a bit of a coup, no sexy moves, just maintain the strength of what we already have. let the other teams around the league overpay on situational players and then make another trade once the season is going.....if we were to need anything else.

spurs better than they were last year, that has got to be a scary thought for the other GMs around the league..

milkyway21
07-21-2005, 09:54 PM
just maintain the strength of what we already have. let the other teams around the league overpay on situational players and then make another trade once the season is going.....if we were to need anything else.

right! :D This team don't need overhauling.

Duncanoypi
07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Bring back the Bigdog...a second unit of Horry, Bigdog, Oberto, Barry, Udrih and Brown(if resigned) is a great!...

JUUOT
07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
do you realise that glenn coming back could really mean that devin is gone?
personally i am fine with this. but i am surprised as much people are

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I think brown deserves to leave and get 20-25 minutes a game
I know he wants to stay but he needs to go and get paid before he gets hurt again

JUUOT
07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
i a gree with you duck. brown would be a nice pick up for bobcats for example.

brown deserves more than glenn to go and grow his career.

Glenn fits a need for us and need redemption.

milkyway21
07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
i like Devin Brown, He is hardworker and doesn't afraid to take shots when needed. But health concerns might be a problem for him to take his usual spot with the Spurs this season.
We need a healthy reserve to let Bruce rest a little in the season games. This fellow has been playing 82 games a season for 3 yrs now, he needs to take a few minutes rest and i think Big Dog is more suitable than Brown. I just hope he works more on his defense in the off-season and training camp if re-signed. He showed us that he can improve from that field in the games he played with us late in the 2005 season and some playoff games.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Imagine the second unit. You would have Oberto, Horry, Barry (at point), Grob, and Devin Brown. That would be awesome. That second unit would take out a lot of teams.

SequSpur
07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Pop is afraid to resign the Big Dog. Otherwise, he would've done it already.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I think GRobinson would thrive long term in SA. When playing with some combination of TD, Manu and TP on the court, Big Dog's bound to get some great looks. I like the idea of a scorer on the bench and especially a scorer who is also committed to playing within your system.

There are a number of offensive possibilities in the Spurs' O for a 3 man with a solid midrange J. Bruce has done a decent job at trying to capitalize on those, but can you imagine teams daring Big Dog to shoot from 18 feet on the FT line extended?

ducks
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah especially since it is against the rules for him to sign something right now :lol

slayermin
07-21-2005, 11:54 PM

I kinda see your point, Sequ. His track record isn't the greatest.

But I think Big Dog did more positive things in silver and black than negative. The only negative thing I can think of is that tech he got for pushing Rashard Lewis in the Seattle series.

milkyway21
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by SequSpur
there were concerns if Big Dog would want to come from the bench, he just said it's okay.

I hope it's not the $$$?

yeah especially since it is against the rules for him to sign something right now :lmao

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Big Dog is a low risk, huge reward kind of player right now. He's missed about 3/4ths of the last two seasons so it's not known how he will hold up over a full one. But, he doesn't have the wear and tear of two full seasons prior. Put him in the Spurs' rotation for about 15 to 20 minutes a night and I think he'd be quite effective for the next 3 seasons.

T Park
07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
resign Robinson.

Its a win win.

Get it done Pop.

caŽlo
07-22-2005, 12:57 AM
At 32, Robinson said he wouldn't mind coming off the bench again on a contending team like the Spurs. On a mediocre or downright lousy team, he'd demand to start. This is, after all, a guy whose career scoring average until last season was 20.8 ppg.

wohooooooooo!!! lets sign this guy! hope the spurs and big dog agree to a deal!!

damnit if he can at least score 15ppg while at least playing decent D that would be so great!

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 01:39 AM
The negative to Big Dog is his ego. He's absolutely been a model citizen and was a pretty successful experiment last year. But he needs shots. Not because he's selfish or full of himself, but because that's what he does. He has shooting in his bones. He needs shots to be happy.

His value off the bench as a scorer could be astronomical. He could go off for 20 or 25 in any given game once he gets rolling, even injected late in the first or in the second. But if they resign him, they need to use him, need to work him. His nickname is apt: like a rottweiler or a pit bull, he's vicious if he doesn't get exercised. But exercise him and you get an absolute marvel, a terror for the other side.

If the Spurs can't land a good young SF, and I mean an Al Harrington type player, through a trade of Rasho, then I absolutely 100% back retaining Glenn Robinson. His potential on this team hasn't even started being tapped.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:42 AM
wohooooooooo!!! lets sign this guy! hope the spurs and big dog agree to a deal!!

damnit if he can at least score 15ppg while at least playing decent D that would be so great!

Not happening.

Jamtas
07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
I'd like to have Glenn back. Even if he did steal Antoine Carr's nickname from him.

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Big Dog is a low risk, huge reward kind of player right now. He's missed about 3/4ths of the last two seasons so it's not known how he will hold up over a full one. But, he doesn't have the wear and tear of two full seasons prior. Put him in the Spurs' rotation for about 15 to 20 minutes a night and I think he'd be quite effective for the next 3 seasons.

the question is: can this team afford him?

based on Express News report -

The Spurs are expected to have about half of the $4.9 million midlevel exception and a lesser $1.6 million exception remaining after signing Oberto. They also have the right to match any offer restricted free agent Devin Brown receives up to the league's average salary. is this enough for the Big Dog to sign with the team?

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
the question is: can this team afford him?

based on Express News report -
is this enough for the Big Dog to sign with the team?

The short answer is: "we'll see". The thing to keep in mind is that albeit brief, Big Dog's stint with the Spurs last season has given the Spurs one season to count towards Early Bird/Bird rights for him. If he plays with the Spurs next season then they will have his Early Bird rights next summer.

Of course, a team could come along with a full MLE offer or thereabouts this summer for him. But, if he's amenable to something like a 2 year deal with a player option after the 1st year for the remainder of the Spurs' MLE, then he could be retained. Next summer he opts out and gets paid.

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 07:58 AM
a horry type of contract when he first came. allowing him to opt out this year to get more money.

ManuTastic
07-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Getting Dogg for cheap is a good pickup. I would think that after receiving that record-setting contract from the Bucks he's still got $$ in the bank and doesn't need a big payday. Maybe at this point another ring or two looks sweeter than another million?

ducks
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
big dog knows how much the spurs have left
he said what he said in thursday paper it can not be that old

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I hope he doesnt come back. I don't want to be like the Lakers of two years ago (signing vets like Malone and Payton).

Well, we already did it and the guy already has a ring for it.

For a guy who's supposedly 'washed-up' in the league, he's only 32, suggesting there's still a lot of game left in him. Solid play off the bench for a contender for a couple years means extended years as a sharpshooter long after.

There are a lot of cast-offs on the market this year, from Damon Stoudamire and Gary Payton to cap casualties like Finley and Allan Houston. I'm sure that's driving Robinson's price down; contending teams will have their favorites.

SWC Bonfire
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd like to have Glenn back. Even if he did steal Antoine Carr's nickname from him.

I think that the Spurs could put some wording in the contract to address that issue. Nickname infringement is a serious issue and theft of intellectual property. Think of all the lost revenue that occurs every year when kids take on the nicknames of their favorite players in driveways and playgrounds across America alone. Allowing nickname theft to occur right under the noses of the NBA organization bigwigs would be a tacit approval that nickname theft is acceptable in the NBA, opening the floodgates for billions of Chinese to pretend to be whomever they choose without paying respective trademarking fees. :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
I hope he doesnt come back. I don't want to be like the Lakers of two years ago (signing vets like Malone and Payton). I would rather have another international player or retain Devin Brown.

Slight difference: both Malone and Payton joined LA after seasons in which they were still regarded as "franchise players". And to his credit, Malone managed to hold his ego in check, at least by LA standards, for that season. It was Payton who F'ed things up.

Glenn Robinson seems to understand that he's not going to be a franchise guy now. Honestly, he's trying to resurrect his career after whatever went down in Philly. That episode really seems to have hurt his rep. Also, at least on the court, Big Dog's problem over the last couple of seasons has been that he hasn't been on it. If you are going to use your full MLE to sign a guy do you give it to a 32 year old who hasn't played a full season since 2002-03 or do you go after a 20-something who has? Hell, 28 year old Shareef Abdur-Rahim just went for the MLE. The market is pretty brutal for Robinson right now.

The Spurs have a nice mix of young and old talent. It's not like the Spurs would be putting Robinson in the starting lineup, but rather putting him on the bench. I don't think the LA comparision is appropriate.

The Spurs can use Big Dog next season and he could use being a Spur next season. Win-win.

GrandeDavid
07-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I enjoyed that piece and wrote an email to the author giving him some San Antonio love.

PM5K
07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Well Glenn clearly has said all the right things, this is now in the hands of the Spurs unless Glenn asks for more money then they can give him.

I'd love to see Glenn in a Spurs uniform next year, actually I think it would be a mistake on the Spurs part for him not to be unless they make a trade that fills his position with someone better, even then he'd be good to use for a trade if we can sign him cheap, although I hate to do that to him...