PDA

View Full Version : Senate Judiciary Chair: U.S. 'Ought To Respect' State Marijuana Laws

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
The Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee says he's done waiting for answers about how the Justice Department will handle marijuana offenses in states that have legalized small amounts of the drug.

Vermont Democrat Patrick Leahy has asked Attorney General Eric Holder or his deputy to appear at a — and to be prepared to state the Obama administration's policy on the issue. Leahy's been asking questions ever since Washington and Colorado voters approved marijuana for recreational use in last year's elections.

Holder has said for months that the Justice Department is studying how it will handle the state initiatives. And the Office of National Drug Control Policy hasn't responded to Leahy's now asking about the issue, the chairman said.

"There's only so many resources," Leahy told NPR in a telephone interview. "And to waste time on going after simple marijuana cases in states where it's either been legalized, or legalized for medical uses, seems like a bad use of our limited law enforcement dollars."

Leahy says federal authorities should devote time to cracking down on violent crime and deadly drug cartels — and he says he wants assurances that state officials will not face criminal jeopardy for carrying out their duties to license marijuana exchanges in the 20-odd states where marijuana is legal for medical purposes.

"The federal government ought to respect" these decisions by states, Leahy says.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/27/216145851/u-s-ought-to-respect-state-marijuana-laws-sen-leahy-says

This was said at a Senate Judiciary hearing a few days ago. Times are a changin.

Big Empty
08-29-2013, 11:52 AM
#love it

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
House tea baggers and Repugs, the police state/PIC, will kill any attempt move mj out of Schedule I, to allow govt/private medical research, etc.

these past 70+ years, reefer madness refers to the legal system, not to mj users.

Th'Pusher
08-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Breaking news: Holder wont pursue CO and WA for legalizing grass.

SnakeBoy
08-29-2013, 01:14 PM
State rights argument lol

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't see what is so funny about that. If the justice department indeed acquiesces to the state decision then that sets a tremendous historical precedent. That the push is coming from the SENATE JUDICIARY CHAIRMAN is huge.

I realize that you have been trained much like boutox in ideological certainty but it is what it is.

Trill Clinton
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
great news for the medical marijuana community :toast

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Obama needs to pardon all, nationwide, federal, state, county, jailed for simple mj possession of up to ONE POUND! And their arrest/jail records for mj 100% expunged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Control led_Substances_Act

TSA
08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/27/216145851/u-s-ought-to-respect-state-marijuana-laws-sen-leahy-says

This was said at a Senate Judiciary hearing a few days ago. Times are a changin.

What implications do you think this could have on the States telling the Gov they will be ignoring gun laws?

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 04:05 PM
What implications do you think this could have on the States telling the Gov they will be ignoring gun laws?

Pull that NRA dick out of your ass.

The Federal govt trumps state laws.

Federal govt's choice to enforce Federal laws and how, eg, dubya's excessive use of signing letters ( I sign the bill into law but I won't necessarily enforce it ). State's have no choice about Federal laws.

I expect Repugs, Fox, right-wing hate media, "Christian" leaders to be all over this one tonight.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 04:42 PM

I have no interest in discussing off-topic, asinine hypotheticals such as this.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Pull that NRA dick out of your ass.

The Federal govt trumps state laws.

Federal govt's choice to enforce Federal laws and how, eg, dubya's excessive use of signing letters ( I sign the bill into law but I won't necessarily enforce it ). State's have no choice about Federal laws.

I expect Repugs, Fox, right-wing hate media, "Christian" leaders to be all over this one tonight.

I cannot wait until your asinine ideological generation dies off.

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
I cannot wait until your asinine ideological generation dies off.

the 1% and the corporatocracy will be screwing the 99% for decades, for generations, including your pathetic generation.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
the 1% and the corporatocracy will be screwing the 99% for decades, for generations, including your pathetic generation.

RISE THE PROLETARIAT!!!

SnakeBoy
08-29-2013, 05:09 PM

lol in other words you just want the right to get high...how you get that right doesn't matter to you.

TSA
08-29-2013, 05:19 PM

You've got to be one of the most uptight stoners I've ever seen.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 05:26 PM
lol in other words you just want the right to get high...how you get that right doesn't matter to you.

More like I am not taking the bait to turn this into yet another gun thread.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-29-2013, 05:27 PM
You've got to be one of the most uptight stoners I've ever seen.

:rolleyes

Jacob1983
08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Why is it that people are okay with states' rights when it comes to weed but they bitch if it's about abortion and gayness?

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 07:47 PM
abortion is legal by FEDERAL law.

civil rights enforced for LGBT is FEDERAL law, like citizenship and border crossings are FEDERAL responsiblities.

it's really simple, ain't it?

boutons_deux
08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
today's DoJ move is going to encourage other (non-red) states to follow WA and CO, and probably quite quickly.

The barriers to mj medical research and therapy should also be lowered or disappear.

Fucking HUGE change in policy.

DMC
08-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Why is it that people are okay with states' rights when it comes to weed but they bitch if it's about abortion and gayness?

Smoke a joint. See how you feel.

Take one up the ass or down your throat. See how you feel.

Compare the feelings.

Grass over Ass (when it's yours).

DMC
08-29-2013, 09:59 PM
today's DoJ move is going to encourage other (non-red) states to follow WA and CO, and probably quite quickly.

The barriers to mj medical research and therapy should also be lowered or disappear.

When BA's term is up, these things will revert. You'll see. Can't be having people dancing on Sundays.

leemajors
08-30-2013, 04:51 PM

I think that currently, in Montana, you cannot own, possess, or purchase a firearm while having a medical marijuana license (unless it has changed since the time this article and others were published 2 or so years ago:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44712648/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/do-medical-marijuana-users-have-right-bear-arms-no-says-atf/#.UiETvBusi8g

FuzzyLumpkins
08-30-2013, 09:51 PM

Civil rights. Look it up.

scroteface
08-30-2013, 09:56 PM
not just marijuana but they ought to respect all state laws..government at the local level is the way to go

TSA
08-30-2013, 10:12 PM
I think that currently, in Montana, you cannot own, possess, or purchase a firearm while having a medical marijuana license (unless it has changed since the time this article and others were published 2 or so years ago:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44712648/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/do-medical-marijuana-users-have-right-bear-arms-no-says-atf/#.UiETvBusi8gpretty much same here in CA. Any time I fill out a 4473 it asks if you are addicted to any drugs, marijuana being one. No mention of being shit faced and wielding a gun though.

Th'Pusher
08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
not just marijuana but they ought to respect all state laws..government at the local level is the way to go
Hitler would slice your scrotum in half for this comment. Stay consistent you shitty troll.

boutons_deux
08-31-2013, 03:40 PM

These States Are Most Likely To Legalize Pot Next

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/marijuana-legalization-states_n_3838866.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

Jacob1983
09-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Why are liberals inconsistent when it comes to state laws and states' rights?

boutons_deux
09-01-2013, 08:38 AM
why are right-wingers so consistent in their pervasive ignorance?

boutons_deux
09-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Jailed For Medical Marijuana: Five Stories Of Why DOJ’s Pot Policy Matters (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/08/30/2557781/jailed-medical-marijuana-stories-dojs-pot-policy-matters/)

Compliance with comprehensive local laws and regulations that eliminate bad behavior, they said, would be a major factor in potential prosecution. It is unclear how much yesterday’s revised policy will change the behavior of U.S. attorneys, who retain discretion to implement the the policy as they see fit. But what is clear is that without the change, many medical marijuana providers paid the price for operating openly and in seeming in compliance with state law, and believe they were made an example of:

Matthew Davies, California, at least five years in prison

Chris Williams, Montana, five years in prison

Richard Flor, Montana, died in custody

Jerry Duval, Michigan, ten years in prison

Harborside Health Center and Berkeley Patients Group, northern California, doing battle with the feds to preserve their assets

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/08/30/2557781/jailed-medical-marijuana-stories-dojs-pot-policy-matters/

boutons_deux
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
25 Years Ago: DEA’s Own Administrative Law Judge Ruled Cannabis Should Be Reclassified Under Federal Law

Friday, September 6, 2013 marks the 25-year anniversary of an administrative ruling which determined that cannabis possesses accepted medical utility and ought to be reclassified accordingly under federal law.

The ruling, issued in 1988 by US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Chief Administrative Law Judge Francis Young “ In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling (http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/young/index.html),” determined: “Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care.”

Young continued: “It would be unreasonable, arbitrary and capricious for DEA to continue to stand between those sufferers and the benefits of this substance in light of the evidence in this record.”

Judge Young concluded: “The administrative law judge recommends that the Administrator conclude that the marijuana plant considered as a whole has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, that there is no lack of accepted safety for use of it under medical supervision and that it may lawfully be transferred from Schedule I (http://www.justice.gov/dea/druginfo/ds.shtml) to Schedule II [of the federal Controlled Substances Act].”

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/25-years-ago-deas-own-administrative-law-judge-ruled-cannabis-should-be-reclassified-under?akid=10893.187590.lEnt8g&rd=1&src=newsletter892873&t=5