PDA

View Full Version : Translation: Small interview with Manu from 08/21/13

ElNono
08-30-2013, 12:10 AM
To get to know Manu Ginobili, it's best to talk to the person that knows him the best: Manu Ginobili. He's sincere, critical and direct. Talking with canchallena.com, the best basketball player in Argentina's history explained the benefits that social media brought to his career (and his life) and, he selected the top 3 games that marked his career forever.

Communicate "how and when I want"

The almost 2 million followers in his Twitter account are the evidence of a reality: people want to know about @ manuginobili (that's the way he's known in that social network). Him, far from seeing that as a headache, managed to publicize in 140 character messages the events of his career and "the little" bit he wants his private life to be known.

"Before, a journalist would come over and ask me if I was going to re-new my contract. Maybe I was negotiating with the team and I didn't want to answer. But I couldn't do that, and I had to come up with some evasive response. With Twitter it's different, when you feel you're ready to talk, boom. It's a spectacular tool. People end up knowing much more about you, even though I'm cautious, because I communicate in the way I want and when I want", Manu confesses.

That said, in some occasions, the "how" and "when" have to go through one more filter: Many Orono, his wife. "I would've never given a journalist a photo of my kid. Now I'm at the park and I want to share a picture and I just do it. It's at the moment I wanted, the way I wanted it and checked by my wife (laughs). [Twitter] is a much more direct and pleasant medium", he recognizes.

Even though he only follows 100 users, the praise and also the critique arrive without pause through mentions. With the years, Ginobili understood the Twitter thermometer and learned when not to look. "During the playoffs, there's no way I look at mentions. It doesn't add anything to me, neither for good or bad. It's just like the regular media, they put you in a pedestal when you're doing well, and they sink you when you're not. But you're the same guy. Put simply, you had a good or bad game. You can't let that drag you down, you have to be sure of what you did", he asserts.

The Best Games

All great sport players have three events that marked their lives. Manu Ginobili isn't the exception. This is how he remembers them for canchallena.com

{Can't like the video here, simply go to the original article, scroll to the bottom and watch}

Original article in Spanish here:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1612601-manu-x-manu-el-beneficio-de-las-redes-sociales-y-sus-tres-mejores-partidos

xmas1997
08-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks, nice article.
I wonder how long it will be before the bandwagon Manu bashing Spur fans post their whiny posts?

Seventyniner
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
I wonder how long it will be before the bandwagon Manu bashing Spur fans post their whiny posts?

That's been happening for months. It's not like they need any more excuses.