PDA

View Full Version : Nyad finally completes swim from Cuba to Florida on her fifth try

The Reckoning
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/02/world/americas/diana-nyad-cuba-florida-swim/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

She's 64 now. crazy.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again.

That's the message from 64-year-old endurance swimmer Diana Nyad, who achieved her lifelong goal of conquering the Straits of Florida.

On Monday, she became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without a protective cage, willing her way to a Key West beach just before 2 p.m. ET, nearly 53 hours after jumping into the ocean in Havana for her fifth try in 35 years."

TE
09-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Pretty inspiring tbh.

benefactor
09-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm sure more than a few Cubans have made it, but props to her as it's still an impressive feat.

mrsmaalox
09-02-2013, 10:14 PM
That's pretty amazing, she is in Lance Armstrong-like condition. My cousin did an Ironman event recently and had to swim in the ocean. He said that was definitely the hardest, not to mention scariest, thing he's ever done.

FkLA
09-03-2013, 05:25 AM
That's pretty amazing, she is in Lance Armstrong-like condition. My cousin did an Ironman event recently and had to swim in the ocean. He said that was definitely the hardest, not to mention scariest, thing he's ever done.

Lance is a cheat. Why the hell would you compare this tough old lady to him ?

mrsmaalox
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Lance is a cheat. Why the hell would you compare this tough old lady to him ?

Yea you're right but I didn't mean to compare their ethics----I just meant that for so many years LA has been touted as a physical phenom and that's what this lady is.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Pretty inspiring tbh.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again."

yup, yup, yup

On Monday, she became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without a protective cage, willing her way to a Key West beach just before 2 p.m. ET, nearly 53 hours after jumping into the ocean in Havana for her fifth try in 35 years."

Wow....

symple19
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
would have been much more interesting had she been eaten by a shark or drowned, tbh