PDA

View Full Version : Predict the pistons season right now

Spurologist
07-21-2005, 07:49 PM
with Flip at the helm.

I don't personally think Flip is the right fit for the Detroit Pistons, but he was probably the best coach available. Larry Brown was constantly in the pistons' faces preaching defense and in turn Detroit was 2nd best in the league (behind you know who). With Flip coming in, I don't think they will be nearly as affective. Yeah, people keep saying the pistons have learned from Brown and can maintain their defensive tenacity. I am not buying it. Defense takes a lot of hard work. When a minute error occured on defense, Larry was quickly making the necessary changes to change that. Flip will not provide that.

Flip is not the type of coach that will constantly get on his team like Larry did. Larry was also well respected because he is a hall of fame coach. I wonder if the reaction of the pistons will be different towards Flip than it was for Brown (as far as getting the job done: hustle, defense etc). The lack of constant preching of defense is probably why Flip has the worst playoff record in NBA HISTORY. Yikes.

Brown was able to somewhat control Rasheed. Wonder how Flip will be able to Rasheed temper so it doesn't take away from his game.

Also, remember that there's is going to be tremedous pressure on Flip. He will be grilled by the media one way or another about how Larry did this or that better. Two Nba appearances in a row. How do you top that?

I applaud Flip for taking that job, but he's going to have his work cut out for him. There are probably even more problems he is going to have to deal with that I haven't mentioned.

With the east teams improving, I am going to go on a limb and predict that the pistons, at most, reach the Eastern Semi-Finals.

beirmeistr
07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
53-29 and get as far as Eastern semi-finals.

clubalien
07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
2-80 the two wins coming from beating lakers

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Who gives a shit forum.

danyel
07-21-2005, 09:01 PM
54-28 and they make it to the finals, again.

Bandit2981
07-21-2005, 09:39 PM
They lose in the ECF to Miami

jochhejaam
07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
In my unbiased opinion :lol I think they'll finish at 60 - 22 and will be in the Finals again. One more year of the same starting 5 and Mcdyess plus add solid contributions from Delfino and newcomer Maxiell (played like a beast in the summer league). Pllus it always helps to have continuity at the helm, LB missed 17 games last year and proved to be a major distraction to the team.

Pistons < Spurs
07-21-2005, 11:44 PM
56 Wins...And in the Finals again.

ducks
07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
flip gets past the second round ?

can flip control rasheed???

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 12:06 AM
50-32 and lose to the Pacers in the eastern conference finals.

DDS4
07-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Lose in the ECF to the Heat.

jalbre6
07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
53-19 with a five-game series loss to the Spurs in the NBA Finals.

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 12:22 AM
53-19 with a five-game series loss to the Spurs in the NBA Finals.
:lol

jalbre6
07-22-2005, 12:29 AM

Oops, 53-29. Sorry.

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 12:32 AM
i think the Central Div has a lot of teams emerging as a playoff contenders

Indiana-Artest is back. Indiana made it to the 2nd round despite missing their best defensive player and another scorer in Artest in 2004-05. There are rumors that they are going to experiment moving Artest to power forward and J.O'Neal take the center spot. :rolleyes .hmmn. I don't know if this will be a good move for the team. But as long as O'Neal, Artest, SJax is around, this team is always be a threat to Detroit.

then, there's an updated "New" Jersey Nets. Jason Kidd, VC & Rahim could be one of the biggest threat in the East and Div.

Another is the very well upgraded Cleveland. LeBron, Z, Hughes.

Then, Miami with Wade & ShaQ(sorry no Horry Shaq).

as for the Pistons they will always be a playoff contender whoever is the coach.

BTW, is Darko going to play minutes this season?
The Pistons say he'll be their fourth big man this season.

my guess is:

East Semi-Finals.
East Finals: Miami or Indiana
pretenders: Cleveland or Nets or Detroit

Manuismyhomeboy
07-22-2005, 12:33 AM
I can almost guarantee they will never will a series that goes 7 games, cause Flip won't lead with enough heart to get them win a hard series like that

jalbre6
07-22-2005, 12:54 AM
The only person leaving the Pistons is Larry Brown. Do you think Dumars really believed that Larry was going to stay there for the rest of his career? The man's been coaching for 30 years or so and it's not like he was going to change just because he won a title there. Shit, he came to SA right after winning the NCAA championship in '88. There's people posting in here that weren't even born yet when he left Kansas.

It would be a bigger deal if a player in the rotation was leaving than LB. He was the least important person on that team. Billups, Rip, Big Ben, Sheed, and Tayshaun are still there. So's McDyess and Lindsey Hunter.

Yeah, they'll win 50+. And they'll beat Miami, or Indiana, or Chicago, or whoever else they might play in the ECF's. Remember, people here are picking the Spurs to win 65+ games, and these guys survived the Palace brawl to win their division last year, secure a 2 seed, and took the Spurs to seven games. Thinking they'll win eighteen or so less than the Spurs when they play in what is considered the weaker conference and they're only losing their coach is foolish.

AFE7FATMAN
07-22-2005, 01:02 AM
52 Wins second round exit.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:39 AM
55-27

They will lose in Semis..

xcoriate
07-22-2005, 03:45 AM
52 wins and second round exit. I have serious doubts as to if Flip can motivate this team to perform as Larry did.

Wallace ²
07-22-2005, 05:57 AM
can flip control rasheed???

Everyone has the wrong impression about Sheed. All of the players and coaches on his team really love him because of his heart. His heart is the only thing that gets him in trouble as well. Larry didn't control Sheed because he was still in the top of the league in techs. That is just Sheeds character and whoever the coach is, will have to deal with it.

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Darko 5-10 min/game; that's my only prediction

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm calling it now......it's going to be a Spurs vs. Nets rematch in the Finals. :)

I don't doubt that the Pistons are still going to have a 50+ win season without Larry Brown. They have a great starting 5. Their problem isn't the coaching.......it's the offense. They tend to go on too many offensive droughts which allows other teams to get ahead.

AI-square
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Pistons to be in the NBA Finals again.

midgetonadonkey
07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Everyone has the wrong impression about Sheed. All of the players and coaches on his team really love him because of his heart. His heart is the only thing that gets him in trouble as well. Larry didn't control Sheed because he was still in the top of the league in techs. That is just Sheeds character and whoever the coach is, will have to deal with it.

Too bad Sheed always disappears in big games. Where was he in game 7 of these past finals? Where was he during the last 10 minutes of game 7 WCF in 2000? He always lets the refs get him out of his game, if he could just ignore the calls and play on he could be a great player.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Too bad Sheed always disappears in big games.

Yea, I loved how he disappeared in the 2004 NBA Finals and Games 3 of and 4 of the 2005 NBA Finals when the Pistons were in a 2-0 gut. :rolleyes

midgetonadonkey
07-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Yea, I loved how he disappeared in the 2004 NBA Finals and Games 3 of and 4 of the 2005 NBA Finals when the Pistons were in a 2-0 gut. :rolleyes

But where was during game 7 when it counted? I still say he can't play well in high pressure games. Shit he even blew it for the Pistons in game 5.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 09:36 AM
But where was during game 7 when it counted? I still say he can't play well in high pressure games. Shit he even blew it for the Pistons in game 5.

The famous Game 5 which the Spurs won........Sheed was the one that hit the clutch 3 for the Pistons after Horry made his. If Sheed hadn't made that shot, Pistons wouldn't have had a chance to win in that last play that Hamilton missed.

As for Game 7.......I'll agree he didn't have good stats or a good game. But, he was on the bench in foul trouble and there was nothing he could do about it...so I'm not sure if Game 7 is a fair assessment.

I'll give him this, he played good defense on Duncan throughout the series....or at least as good a defense anyone can play against Duncan.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
The famous Game 5 which the Spurs won........Sheed was the one that hit the clutch 3 for the Pistons after Horry made his. If Sheed hadn't made that shot, Pistons wouldn't have had a chance to win in that last play that Hamilton missed.

As for Game 7.......I'll agree he didn't have good stats or a good game. But, he was on the bench in foul trouble and there was nothing he could do about it...so I'm not sure if Game 7 is a fair assessment.

I'll give him this, he played good defense on Duncan throughout the series....or at least as good a defense anyone can play against Duncan.

I agree with this assesment. If a player isnt scoring 25 points in the playoffs they 'disappeared.'

The man was still playing good defense on Duncan and excellent help defense on penetrations. He in a manner atoned for the defensive gaffe with the three pointer.

Rasheed Wallace was not the reason they lost the series.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2005, 10:00 AM
55 wins, and out in the ECF. Flip's a good enough coach and he'll have the talent to work with but I don't know that it's a good enough fit to get back to the finals straight out of the gate.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I've been saying it all season. Pistons need to aquire another solid scorer. They go on way too many offensive droughts.

Joesteds
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm calling it now......it's going to be a Spurs vs. Nets rematch in the Finals. :)

I don't doubt that the Pistons are still going to have a 50+ win season without Larry Brown. They have a great starting 5. Their problem isn't the coaching.......it's the offense. They tend to go on too many offensive droughts which allows other teams to get ahead.

Wow thats a bold prediction. I see the Nets maybe making it to the second round. They still do not have a consistent outside shooter. Vince will no longer take it to the hole and just shoot jumpers like he does every playoffs. Jefferson will dunk on some people, but other than that, not much. Kidd is getting old and broken down. Besides Rahim and Kristic, they have no bigs that are worth a damn.

I think the Pistons will be knocked off my the Pacers in the second round in a great, grind it out series, which the Pistons have won the last couple of years. I see the Heat playing the Spurs in the Finals. Although I am not gonna rule out Phoenix in the west and Houston can get a decent PG then they could contend.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow thats a bold prediction. I see the Nets maybe making it to the second round. They still do not have a consistent outside shooter. Vince will no longer take it to the hole and just shoot jumpers like he does every playoffs. Jefferson will dunk on some people, but other than that, not much. Kidd is getting old and broken down. Besides Rahim and Kristic, they have no bigs that are worth a damn.

I think the Pistons will be knocked off my the Pacers in the second round in a great, grind it out series, which the Pistons have won the last couple of years. I see the Heat playing the Spurs in the Finals. Although I am not gonna rule out Phoenix in the west and Houston can get a decent PG then they could contend.

Nope, I see the Nets as the same team they were during their 2 year stint to the NBA Finals. Kidd, Carter, RJ (healthy), and now Rahim is a great lineup....especially in the East. And Kidd and RJ have the experience to make it to the Finals again.

Heat, I can see Shaq slower, less dominating, Eddie Jones pulling his usual choke job, Damon Jones---not a great PG, plus if they lose Dooling, which it looks like they are---their bench is a little weak (then again so is the Nets...). Wade can't do it himself.

Pacers, I can see them getting rejunentated with Artest back, but Tinsley still remains injury prone. I think next year during their playoff run, Pacers will really start to miss the leadership that Reggie Miller provided them. Either way, I still say that the trio of Kidd, Carter, RJ >> Oneal, Artest, Jackson.

....Other then those 3 teams (and the Pistons), East sucks ass. Cavs may be able to throw one of them off in the first round...but they just don't have the experience yet or a solid PG to really do so next season.

This is why I say Nets will make it to the Finals.....although I still think Pistons MAY be able to make it. It's hard to tell with them, because you never know which Pistons team will show up.

Wallace ²
07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I've been saying it all season. Pistons need to aquire another solid scorer. They go on way too many offensive droughts.

They have a lot of solid scorers, but Larry didn't always use them right. If Dyess was hot off the bench, he would still get taken out of the game because Larry always sticks to his rotation unless there is foul trouble for the bigs.

It was always

Ben and Sheed start
Dyess for Sheed at 6:00 min mark of Q1
Sheed for Ben at 10:00 min mark of Q2
Ben for Dyess at 6:00 min mark of Q2

That was the thing I hated most about LB. He was too stuck in his ways and wouldnt stick with what was working. Billups could of taken Parker and Damon Jones into the post every time, but he would only do it when they really needed a basket. Larry didnt utilize this advantage and it probably cost them another World Championship.

Hopefully Flip will be able to get them through their lulls and atleast get the ball down low for a chance to go to the line if they get fouled. Also, LB is given way too much credit for the Pistons defense. It was Carlysle that turned this team around defensively and LB just profited from that. Flip has a lot of good schemes on defense and hopefully the Pistons defense will be better than ever and get them to the Finals again.

Sense
07-22-2005, 04:09 PM

:lmao

I'm sorry, but they won't win without a legit big man, that's not a team, plus they have no bench, good teams have deep ones.

C'mon... seriously get real, just becuase you have 2 allstars and RJ doesn't mean shit.