PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Matt Barnes

timvp
07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_barnes.jpg http://www.nba.com/sixers/images/sixers_logo.gif

Matt Barnes | 21
Position: F
Born: Mar 9, 1980
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 226 lbs. / 102,5 kg.
College : UCLA '02

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_barnes/)

This was the Spurs' original choice for a long small forward last year. When he signed with the Kings, the Spurs went with LJ3. He has good size for a small forward. He's a decent shooter and an above average defender.

He was on the Kings but then was part of the Webber trade to Philadelphia. Barnes never played a game for the Sixers.

Recently Barnes went on record (http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6628) saying that he's either going to sign with the Kings or the Spurs. He was born in Sacramento, IIRC, thus his loyalty to the Kings. But with Kings drafting Francisco Garcia, they might not have room for him.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Spurs can get him this summer.

P.S.

I believe that he's also Kori's favorite college basketball player of all-time, so that has to be worth something I guess.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
If he'll take the LLE for a year or so, come on down.

JUUOT
07-21-2005, 10:11 PM
is he unristricted?
even if you love sacramento? do you go back to a team that sent you as trade counterpart in a master deal or do you take the opportunity with a title proven solid team that is known to give players time to develop.

it sounds like a great guy if he is unrestricted. could play behind barry and brown/glenn (only one is staying i think)

ace3g
07-21-2005, 10:19 PM
out of the two(glenn and devin) I would pick devin. I remember watching Barnes play when they would broadcast UCLA games on local channels. I loved when he and Kapono were on the court at the same time

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I like Matt Barnes (obviously because of UCLA) but even moreso because he works hard, can shoot, and already has the makings of a very good defender. He's super scrappy on D and he's willing to work hard to do whatever it takes to win.

When he was a sophomore at UCLA he was academically ineligible for part of the season -- by his senior season, he got All-Academic team honors.

His freshman, sophomore and junior seasons, he shot sub 25% from 3. Teams left him unguarded in the tournament.

His senior season he was one of the best 3 pt field goal shooters on the team -- especially in crunch time.

He knows how to win -- In the NCAA tourney in 2002, they were playing Cincinnati in the second round and Cincinnati was ranked No. 1. UCLA was down 20 in the first half, and came back and beat them in (double?)overtime -- he had a triple double.

[/Barnes' pimp]

And yes, he's unrestricted.

JUUOT
07-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Kori, and others

between glenn, brown, LJIII and Barnes who do you take in first? in second?

good night

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Kori, and others

between glenn, brown, LJIII and Barnes who do you take in first? in second?

good night

Well I think they can have 2 of them. So I'll take Devin and Barnes.

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
are you sure Barnes is a unrestricted FA

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Name

Team

Status
Matt Barnes

Philadelphia

Restricted free agent

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
are you sure Barnes is a unrestricted FA

Yes.

Reserve forwards Matt Barnes and Josh Davis are unrestricted free agents because the Sixers did not tender offers to them.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/12028469.htm

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Barnes would be fine as the 7th perimeter player but I still like Big Dog in that spot. How often can you find a career 20 ppg scorer who is willing to fill a bench role at age 32?

Also, Barnes seems a little redundant to me. You are missing a big 3. The Spurs already have the athletic swings in Brown and Barry on the bench.

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:25 PM
thanks for the info kori

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
marcus, not to be rude or anything but Robinson is 6'7 and Barnes is 6'7 what the spurs mean by "big 3" is a SF who is about 6'8-6'10 long wingspan.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2005, 11:31 PM
marcus, not to be rude or anything but Robinson is 6'7 and Barnes is 6'7 what the spurs mean by "big 3" is a SF who is about 6'8-6'10 long wingspan.Matt has a 6'9" wingspan, if that helps....

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
well chump yeah that helps but I meant to say 6'8-6'10 and a long wingspan

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Well the Spurs tried to sign him last summer as the "Long 3" who could be groomed to replace Bowen and he ended up signing with the Kings. So I think that he's probably under some consideration. He's about the same size as Bowen -- maybe a little bigger upper body.

We'll see.

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:35 PM
I didnt say he was, but the way marcus was thinking, I thought he was saying Big Dog was more of the Big 3 the spurs were looking for than someone of Barnes Size

Marcus Bryant
Maybe it was just couch fat but Big Dog seems a bit more solid physically than Barnes.

ducks
I think devin brown will be a bobcat

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
If GRobinson is willing to take the rest of the MLE I'd bet there is a spot for him in SA next season.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I think devin brown will be a bobcat

Why?

ChumpDumper
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
well chump yeah that helps but I meant to say 6'8-6'10 and a long wingspanAn inch here or there isn't going to preclude a guy from consideration -- he's pretty much prototypical SF size. A true 6'8" in shoes with a more or less average wingspan.

Kori Ellis
Maybe it was just couch fat but Big Dog seems a bit more solid physically than Barnes.

Oh, he definitely is. Barnes is much closer to Bowen's body style than to Big Dog's. Glenn is probably a tad shorter though.

beirmeistr
What does IIRC stand for?

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:38 PM
What does IIRC stand for?

If I remember correctly...

ducks
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Why?

bobcats model their org after spurs
spurs treat their players right
they know he wants playing time and they will tell the bobcats what is going on and they will sign him
bobcats will not have to spend alot on him and sign him for alot of years either

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:42 PM
bobcats model their org after spurs
spurs treat their players right
they know he wants playing time and they will tell the bobcats what is going on and they will sign him
bobcats will not have to spend alot on him and sign him for alot of years either

Sure they will if they want to lure him away from SA. He's a restricted free agent and the Spurs hold his Early Bird rights.

ace3g
07-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Now we have a decent list of possibilities for the back up and third string SF position

Back Up SF:

Al Harrington
Josh Childress
Gerald Wallace
Matt Barnes
Glenn Robinson
Rodney White

Third String:

LJIII
Johnsen
Maurice Evans
Theron Smith
Toni Kukoc

what do you guys think of that list? please add your picks and suggestions

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Add Theron Smith to the 3rd string list.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Maybe Rodney White.

Marcus Bryant
Barring a trade, Big Dog, Kukoc and Barnes are the leading backup 3 candidates as of today, in my opinion.

beirmeistr
If I remember correctly...
thanks

DDS4
07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
UCLA baby!

Get Barnes and Tyus Edney at the backup point and we're golden. Heh.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:27 AM
I like Matt Barnes (obviously because of UCLA) but even moreso because he works hard, can shoot, and already has the makings of a very good defender. He's super scrappy on D and he's willing to work hard to do whatever it takes to win.

When he was a sophomore at UCLA he was academically ineligible for part of the season -- by his senior season, he got All-Academic team honors.

His freshman, sophomore and junior seasons, he shot sub 25% from 3. Teams left him unguarded in the tournament.

His senior season he was one of the best 3 pt field goal shooters on the team -- especially in crunch time.

He knows how to win -- In the NCAA tourney in 2002, they were playing Cincinnati in the second round and Cincinnati was ranked No. 1. UCLA was down 20 in the first half, and came back and beat them in (double?)overtime -- he had a triple double.

[/Barnes' pimp]

And yes, he's unrestricted.

This may be true, but what has he done in the NBA?

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 01:28 AM
This may be true, but what has he done in the NBA?

He hasn't had much of an opportunity to do anything in the NBA yet. He's a young player who is just getting started. That's why we are talking about bringing him in and molding him.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:34 AM
That'd be taking a risk though...

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
That'd be taking a risk though...

Yeah, we are talking about players for very little money to fill out the roster. Not much of a risk in that.

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Barring a trade, Big Dog, Kukoc and Barnes are the leading backup 3 candidates as of today, in my opinion.
Kukoc sucks.

spur219
07-22-2005, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't mind Barnes in a Spurs uniform at all. The guy hustles.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Hmmm...the Spurs have one active roster spot and that is earmarked for either Finley or Brown. All the Spurs would have to offer Barnes would be the LLE and the opportunity, perhaps next season, of making the active roster. He'd be great insurance to have but I would guess that Sacto would have an active roster spot and minutes to offer him, as well the ability to play in his hometown.

Still, getting Finley for the rest of the MLE and Barnes for the LLE would be pretty damn sweet.

Kori Ellis
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Barnes would probably sign somewhere for the minimum. I don't think he's looking for money this season. He's looking for somewhere to learn and grow as a player.

SPARKY
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Barnes would probably sign somewhere for the minimum. I don't think he's looking for money this season. He's looking for somewhere to learn and grow as a player.

The Spurs could put him through the Stephen Jackson program. Well, without the starter's role in the 2nd season...

beirmeistr
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I wonder if the Spurs signed him if he would want to cover his 'Sacramento's Finest" tattoo on his arm ala Iverson.

Horry For 3!
08-30-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_barnes.jpg http://www.nba.com/sixers/images/sixers_logo.gif

Matt Barnes | 21
Position: F
Born: Mar 9, 1980
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 226 lbs. / 102,5 kg.
College : UCLA '02

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_barnes/)

This was the Spurs' original choice for a long small forward last year. When he signed with the Kings, the Spurs went with LJ3. He has good size for a small forward. He's a decent shooter and an above average defender.

He was on the Kings but then was part of the Webber trade to Philadelphia. Barnes never played a game for the Sixers.

Recently Barnes went on record (http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6628) saying that he's either going to sign with the Kings or the Spurs. He was born in Sacramento, IIRC, thus his loyalty to the Kings. But with Kings drafting Francisco Garcia, they might not have room for him.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Spurs can get him this summer.

P.S.

I believe that he's also Kori's favorite college basketball player of all-time, so that has to be worth something I guess.
I remember when he played at UCLA, he was pretty bad ass.

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Now that the Spurs have signed NVE and regardless of what Finley does, how serious are the Spurs about Barnes?

JUUOT
08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
scenario 1) finley comes to the spurs.
finley joins NVE and oberto as one of our great summer acquisition. the wings rotation is now bowen 34; manu 28; brent 33; finley 32. Obviously this rotation is amazing but also count for an average age of 31 3/4. a rule of thumb is you want any rotation to be an average 30. therefor the last wing should be a younger player.
Then
- since finley can play 3 but is mostly a 2 even if in the spurs rotation it is not so obvious
- beno, NVE and tony can all play some minutes in a small line up at the 2.
the 5th wings should be a 3
Finally they would arguably have no money left for anything other than a minimum contract and they would not re-sign brown.
a young and long 3 accepting minimum money to get a future opportunity and bring fresh blood to an aging rotation fits perfectly Barnes
adding he worked out for the spurs at least 3 days last week and he worked half of the year on his shot only he is more than serious

scenario 2) spurs do not get finley
this case is a lot more complex. cause brown might not be a done deal in this scenario. Restate all the reason above without the age factor and if devin gets too expensive Barnes will rapidly see a spur offer. even if brown is signed, i do not see him as a possible bowen replacement for size problem and not sure a starterin this league. barnes would be in to compete with brown and make sure one of the 2 develop in what we need.

To summarize I think barnes is clearly a spurs priority behind finley and brown. and even in scenario 2 ahead of brown. the fact that no other interesting prospect not involving ST are available at the same quality/price is even more telling.

Concerning the Sacramento part:
Barnes said he would play only for sacramento or Spurs and i think it is still 50/50.
Barnes is putting sacramento ahead on his wish list but his career might push to the contrary however.
stuck behind Peja (only 28) in sacramento he has close to no chance to start in the next... um never unless peja is traded or lost to FA which is less than likely now that sacramento is contender title again (SAR+Bonzi)
In San Antonio he has a chance to become a starter in 2 yearsand spend his prime (he would be 27 when starting role) starting for a title contender...
i think the heart says kings and the head will say spurs...
hard choice

SenorSpur
08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Barnes said he would play only for sacramento or Spurs and i think it is still 50/50.
Barnes is putting sacramento ahead on his wish list but his career might push to the contrary however.
stuck behind Peja (only 28) in sacramento he has close to no chance to start in the next... um never unless peja is traded or lost to FA which is less than likely now that sacramento is contender title again (SAR+Bonzi)
In San Antonio he has a chance to become a starter in 2 yearsand spend his prime (he would be 27 when starting role) starting for a title contender...
hard choice

I like the part about the 2 year apprenticeship. I think it's important to target that wing player and begin developing him now.

JUUOT
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
scenario 1) finley comes to the spurs.
finley joins NVE and oberto as one of our great summer acquisition. the wings rotation is now bowen 34; manu 28; brent 33; finley 32. Obviously this rotation is amazing but also count for an average age of 31 3/4. a rule of thumb is you want any rotation to be an average 30. therefor the last wing should be a younger player.
Then
- since finley can play 3 but is mostly a 2 even if in the spurs rotation it is not so obvious
- beno, NVE and tony can all play some minutes in a small line up at the 2.
the 5th wings should be a 3
Finally they would arguably have no money left for anything other than a minimum contract and they would not re-sign brown.
a young and long 3 accepting minimum money to get a future opportunity and bring fresh blood to an aging rotation fits perfectly Barnes
adding he worked out for the spurs at least 3 days last week and he worked half of the year on his shot only he is more than serious

scenario 2) spurs do not get finley
this case is a lot more complex. cause brown might not be a done deal in this scenario. Restate all the reason above without the age factor and if devin gets too expensive Barnes will rapidly see a spur offer. even if brown is signed, i do not see him as a possible bowen replacement for size problem and not sure a starterin this league. barnes would be in to compete with brown and make sure one of the 2 develop in what we need.

To summarize I think barnes is clearly a spurs priority behind finley and brown. and even in scenario 2 ahead of brown. the fact that no other interesting prospect not involving ST are available at the same quality/price is even more telling.

hard choice

anyonelse on this? do you also think barnes has more chance than finley or brown to be a spurs? or you think he can be replaced by theron smith or demarr johnson?

wildbill2u
08-30-2005, 10:50 PM
I thought I saw where Pop said today they'd sign Devin if they couldn't get Finley.

Kori Ellis
08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I thought I saw where Pop said today they'd sign Devin if they couldn't get Finley.

Barnes would be a guy they might sign as a minimum player to fill out the inactive list. It wouldn't have anything to do with the signing of Devin/Finley.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Dont think Barnes would sign to be on the inactive list. If he cant make the roster, then I believe he will bring his hustle somewhere else. He wants playing time.

Kori Ellis
08-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Dont think Barnes would sign to be on the inactive list. If he cant make the roster, then I believe he will bring his hustle somewhere else. He wants playing time.

Well he has said he wants to come to the Spurs or Kings. He wouldn't necessarily be on IR all year, but he might spend time there. Sort of like Stephen Jackson in his first season with the Spurs.

Solid D
09-26-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13623263p-14465639c.html

Barnes update Sunday, 9/25/2005

Matt Barnes attended the WNBA Finals-clinching game at Arco Arena on Tuesday, envious of the title feel and still wondering where he'll collect his next paycheck. The former Clippers, Kings and 76ers swingman with Sacramento roots said he had a tryout with the Spurs but may have been derailed by the Finley signing. He'd still love a return shot with the Kings.

"I'll be somewhere," he said.

2centsworth
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
I like matt's size and hustle, but he flat out can't shoot. Every project the spurs have ever had has been able to shoot.

sjax, dbrown, bruce.

Kori Ellis
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Every project the spurs have ever had has been able to shoot.

Linton Johnson

:lol

If Barnes came here, it would be for defense.

2centsworth
09-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Linton Johnson

:lol

If Barnes came here, it would be for defense.
There have been a ton of projects, so let me re-phrase the projects that have seen the light of day and made it in the league.

coopdogg3
09-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but with Finley and NVE on this team maybe the FO feels they don't need another shooter. If Barnes can play good Defense, and is willing to take the minimum, there may be a spot for him on the team. Maybe a defensive presence if, God forbid, Bowen gets hurt. *shrug* Guess we'll see.

coopdogg3