PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Prime Gary Payton vs top top PG's

lefty
09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
- He would make CP3 cry with his trash talking, forcing him to withdraw after 5 minutes
- He would slash Deron's bodyfat % in half with his spin moves
- And he would limit Stephen Curry's scoring, making him look like an ordinary player
- Derrick Rose ? N/A

AchillesHeel
09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
GP shits on CP3 1 vs 1, both are great defenders and offensive players in their prime with CP3 being the better shooter but GP's defense alone would body him.

lefty
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
EDIT : In the title I meant today's top PG's

spurraider21
09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
EDIT : In the title I meant today's top PG's

can't you edit the title from the main forum page? (double click on your thread title)

spurraider21
09-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I could be wrong

Vash StampedE
09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I think CP3 would be a bad matchup for Payton. His Hall-of-Fame defense would be negated once CP3 goes into flopping mode. Payton would always find himself in foul trouble whenever their teams got matched up.

lefty
09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
I could be wrong
yes you are :D

Katherine Robinson
09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Tony Parker need not apply, of course.

lefty
09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Tony Parker need not apply, of course.
you think I forgot about him ?

Katherine Robinson
09-04-2013, 03:03 PM
you think I forgot about him ?

Everybody else has, in no small part to his excellent contest of Ray Allen's game tying three.

RsxPiimp
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
GP shits on CP3 1 vs 1, both are great defenders and offensive players in their prime with CP3 being the better shooter but GP's defense alone would body him.

yeah. gp woukd honestly make cp3 cry bitch tears.

D-Wade
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Rondo is the only current top PG who'd challenge him, IMO. Dude is mentally tough in his own right.

lefty
09-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Rondo is the only current top PG who'd challenge him, IMO. Dude is mentally tough in his own right.
Yeah the guy with no jump shot against the only PG who won DPOY

I would love to see that

Clipper Nation
09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Tony Flopper would fake another knee injury instead of facing Payton, tbqh....

lefty
09-04-2013, 07:09 PM
To be fair, TP had 1 good game vs GP in the 2002 playoffs

Spursfan092120
09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Dude...I usually agree with some of your comments, but for a Clippers fan to call Tony Parker a flopper....that's just....sad.

HarlemHeat37
09-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Payton's game wouldn't translate outside of the physical and less skilled 90s, tbh..he wasn't a great shooter, he wasn't noticeably quick, and he was a low-IQ player, made evident by his struggles to comprehend the triangle offense during his time in Los Angeles..

Payton thrived on physicality on both ends of the floor more than athleticism, skills and IQ, tbh..his post game wouldn't be as effective in today's league, and he would not be permitted to be physical on the perimeter, from a defensive standpoint, tbh..

lefty
09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Less skilled 90's ? :lmao

jeebus
09-04-2013, 09:14 PM
To be fair, TP had 1 good game vs GP in the 2002 playoffs
Just the one? :cry

lefty
09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh and Magic wasnt particularly quick or a great shooter either; plus he liked dicks

Bird looked like a guy you could beat up in your local gym

Juggity
09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Fact: The league's better now than it was in the 90s in most respects.

007nites
09-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Payton was the complete package. Also, Payton was able to guard SG's.

spurraider21
09-04-2013, 10:16 PM
yes you are :D

seriously though. double click the gray area just to the right of your thread title from the main forum page

lefty
09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
No it's worse

Much much worse

Rogue
09-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Payton would do a fine job guarding today's elite PGs imho. The prime Payton's defensive game was easily top3 of all time of this position, maybe only the prime Kidd would rival him defensively as a PG.

TDMVPDPOY
09-05-2013, 04:11 AM
prime gp would make david copperfield take 20 straight shots instead of the usual 10 b4 passing it to anyone, lol parker the scrub

Leetonidas
09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
a 20 year old Parker dominated old GP in 2004 for a couple games fwiw

DMC
09-05-2013, 10:17 AM
blah blah blah

TP has 3 rings, 4 finals appearances and a finals MVP

GP and CP3 together have 1 ring and it took two separate coattails too get there. CP3 is the most overrated faggot in NBA history.

GP and CP would consider themselves complete to have half the success that Parker has.

HarlemHeat37
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh and Magic wasnt particularly quick or a great shooter either; plus he liked dicks

Bird looked like a guy you could beat up in your local gym

Magic and Bird were 2 of the most intelligent and efficient players in NBA history, along with being 2 of the best passers in the history of the league, tbh..

Gary Payton's game relied mostly on physicality, which wouldn't translate successfully in today's league IMO..he would receive Technical fouls for his antics, tbh..he would require an elite coach to mask his lack of intelligence against today's schemes(like Derrick Rose, for instance)..

Amongst 90s PGs, I would take Stockton, Kevin Johnson and possibly Mark Price over Payton in today's NBA, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
FWIW, Chris Paul and Tony Parker are both overrated IMO, especially the former..

spurraider21
09-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I would take Kevin Johnson and Mark Price over Payton

:lmao:rollin:lmao

HarlemHeat37
09-05-2013, 12:02 PM
In today's NBA, absolutely, tbh..

Payton is one of the posterchildren for shitty 90s basketball, tbh..when he was forced to play in a system that required shooting and intelligence from it's PG in LA, he couldn't adapt at all, tbh..

I've never heard a decent argument for Gary Payton's hype, tbh..it's nostalgia..

lefty
09-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Payton is one of the posterchildren for shitty 90s basketball, tbh..when he was forced to play in a system that required shooting and intelligence from it's PG in LA, he couldn't adapt at all, tbh..

I've never heard a decent argument for Gary Payton's hype, tbh..it's nostalgia..

In LA they were too many stars

Payton played smart ball and could take over games

Vash StampedE
09-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I would have totally agreed if you have called out Manu, but Parker? No, bro.

lebomb
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Yeah at double dribbling and carrying the ball on crossovers...........as well as 2.5-3 steps on layups. :rolleyes

spurraider21
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM

:lol blaming TOSB payton for not being able to dominate during Kobe's quest for a finals MVP

Rogue
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
blah blah blah

TP has 3 rings, 4 finals appearances and a finals MVP

GP and CP3 together have 1 ring and it took two separate coattails too get there. CP3 is the most overrated faggot in NBA history.

GP and CP would consider themselves complete to have half the success that Parker has.
ring counts speak weakest in the evaluation of career imho. Dirk only has one ring and he's probably never gonna have the chance to win number 2 but it'd be stupid to put Parker or anyone with multiple rings ahead of Dirk imho.

DMC
09-06-2013, 08:09 AM
ring counts speak weakest in the evaluation of career imho. Dirk only has one ring and he's probably never gonna have the chance to win number 2 but it'd be stupid to put Parker or anyone with multiple rings ahead of Dirk imho.

Only because it would be two different positions. I think JKidd would have been a better analogy.

illusioNtEk
09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Tony Parker is better as he has 4 rings, GP has none

lefty
09-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Then Horry is better than MJ

spurraider21
09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Then Horry is better than MJ

thank god horry joined the spurs to win those last 2 otherwise we couldn't use him as an argumentative tool :lmao

Killakobe81
09-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Payton would do a fine job guarding today's elite PGs imho. The prime Payton's defensive game was easily top3 of all time of this position, maybe only the prime Kidd would rival him defensively as a PG.

This. Great players like GP would adapt. Sure he can't back down for half the shotclock, but he was plenty quick and talented enough to adjust. There is no PG that he could deal with and he would limit any modern PG especially the ones that can't hit 3's.

Killakobe81
09-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Tony Parker is better as he has 4 rings, GP has none

GP has a ring plus 2 finals appearances ...

Killakobe81
09-06-2013, 04:42 PM
His rookie year he looked like shit I couldnt believe I was so wrong about a player he destroyed higher ranked Bruin and Wildcat players in the Pac 10 but sucked ass his first 1.5 seasons ...but after that I say on my personal fave list of PGs he is on par with Kidd Stockton and Paul a notch below Isiah two notches below Magic.

Clipper Nation
09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Gotta love GNSF.... they (rightfully) hate the ring count argument when Lakerfan spams 5>4, but then use the same ring count argument themselves whenever Tony Flopper is compared to other point guards :lol

I'm pretty sure CP3, Rose, Westbrick, etc. could coattail prime Duncan to rings too, and so could prime Payton.... and most of them probably wouldn't have to be benched for Speedy Claxton at any point either....

spurraider21
09-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Gotta love GNSF.... they (rightfully) hate the ring count argument when Lakerfan spams 5>4, but then use the same ring count argument themselves whenever Tony Flopper is compared to other point guards :lol

I'm pretty sure CP3, Rose, Westbrick, etc. could coattail prime Duncan to rings too, and so could prime Payton.... and most of them probably wouldn't have to be benched for Speedy Claxton at any point either....

yep. parker was by no means a guy that "lead us to a championship" in any of our ring seasons. he was a damn good and huge piece of our 07 run, both during the playoffs and in the finals (:lol those finals), but that was still Timmy's team. even in 2013 in the end we saw it was Timmy's team :lol

Clipper Nation
09-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Imho, a big reason why you made it back to the Finals is because Timmy took back the team from Parker by having a renaissance year, tbh....

Leetonidas
09-06-2013, 05:42 PM
imo Parker has been pretty dominant the last 3 seasons, each one was the best of his career and each improved upon the last. Had the Spurs won game 6, he would be remembered for going apeshit in the last 2 minutes and nailing the game winner in game 1 and his legacy would've increased making it seem like him and Duncan were 1a/1b. I don't blame him for getting checked by players like Sefolosha because he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and much bigger, but you can't deny that head to head TP usually bests his PG counterparts who most people consider better than him.

But yeah this will be Tim's team til he retires, and I think Parker has either peaked or will next season, so he won't ever achieve true MVP status (though he was a legit contender the last two seasons but LeBron was too dominant and in his prime now, gonna be hard for anyone to snag an MVP from him). Although unlike many Manutards I recognize TP has been better than Ginobili for about 5 years now.

Killakobe81
09-06-2013, 06:21 PM

No way. GP was legit and he outplayed Stock a smart player who could shoot just as much as Stock got the best of him. Not a great shooter but a baller just the same. Great defender I modeled my game after him his defensive crouch was awesome.

spurraider21
09-06-2013, 07:52 PM
imo Parker has been pretty dominant the last 3 seasons, each one was the best of his career and each improved upon the last. Had the Spurs won game 6, he would be remembered for going apeshit in the last 2 minutes and nailing the game winner in game 1 and his legacy would've increased making it seem like him and Duncan were 1a/1b. I don't blame him for getting checked by players like Sefolosha because he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and much bigger, but you can't deny that head to head TP usually bests his PG counterparts who most people consider better than him.

But yeah this will be Tim's team til he retires, and I think Parker has either peaked or will next season, so he won't ever achieve true MVP status (though he was a legit contender the last two seasons but LeBron was too dominant and in his prime now, gonna be hard for anyone to snag an MVP from him). Although unlike many Manutards I recognize TP has been better than Ginobili for about 5 years now.

I doubt it. Manu was pretty nasty in the '10-'11 season

DMC
09-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Wat dey do? All you knowledge people tell me dat

Dbzurp7ChFM

spurraider21
09-06-2013, 07:57 PM
ugh, this video. not sure why they want kobe on the all star team by the same logic they don't want timmy there. "he's been there so many times, give the younger guys a chance."

ohmwrecker
09-06-2013, 07:57 PM
GP tarnished his rep by becoming a ring chasing glorywhore, but his prime on the Sonics was legit.

ambchang
09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
UfM1GrwPACk
You tell me a people who can lob like that has no skills.

YfS8lEzIVSo
Look at the way he ran the offense and played defense. He would most definitely survive in today's game.

soB0guhNTDA
Not quick? Clyde the Glide disagrees with you.

lefty
09-09-2013, 06:06 PM
His HOF speech was awesome