PDA

View Full Version : Going off the grid?

Jacob1983
09-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Have any of you ever done it or been tempted to do it? Sometimes, I just want to say fuck it and leave North Texas and all of my shit there and go far far away. I mean honestly, there is nothing here for me. I am a black sheep of my family and at my wonderful job at Target. Yes, some will say "your problems will go wherever you go". That might be true but sometimes people need a change of scenery and a fresh start. Lately, I have just been tempted to start cutting back big time and save all the money I can to leave this place.

Kool Bob Love
09-06-2013, 04:18 AM
stop crying and fist yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7Aqs5-BXY

Drachen
09-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Have any of you ever done it or been tempted to do it? Sometimes, I just want to say fuck it and leave North Texas and all of my shit there and go far far away. I mean honestly, there is nothing here for me. I am a black sheep of my family and at my wonderful job at Target. Yes, some will say "your problems will go wherever you go". That might be true but sometimes people need a change of scenery and a fresh start. Lately, I have just been tempted to start cutting back big time and save all the money I can to leave this place.
This might sound callous, but wgaf what your family thinks unless they are right. If they are right, then quit your bitching and decide to be better (don't want to be better, actually decide to be better).

If you can't do that, move to Syria and live off of the grid as long as you can

CosmicCowboy
09-06-2013, 07:32 AM
You might want to read "Into The Wild" before you decide to go off grid. I doubt you have learned very many survival skills at Target.

The Reckoning
09-06-2013, 07:46 AM
i moved to australia and im just fine tbh. go for it man. take out a fat student loan and do a work study somewhere random.

TDMVPDPOY
09-06-2013, 07:59 AM
why u wanna come down here when it looks like things are heading down the path america is atm

one world govt is coming

The Reckoning
09-06-2013, 08:12 AM
because vegemite is the shit

Trill Clinton
09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
naw, have too many family and friends to just up and leave. i would be lost without my support system, fam. maybe you should get some counseling first and find out what the root of your unhappiness is.

tlongII
09-06-2013, 09:43 AM
I would not venture into the wilderness in Oregon. Many have tried. Many have died.

baseline bum
09-06-2013, 04:37 PM
You might want to read "Into The Wild" before you decide to go off grid. I doubt you have learned very many survival skills at Target.

LOL that Supertramp dude was such a retard. LOL that he could have walked a mile down that river and taken a ferry to get across it.

Rogue
09-06-2013, 05:20 PM
There ain't many American cities better than Dallas and the US is still the best country of the world whatever trash you say. I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to bring some changes to your life, those changes may not always turn out to be positive but it's not like you have much to lose anyway. Just say fuck it to your "wonderful" job and do whatever you want to do imho. good thing is you still not committed to any bitch or shit so you're still pretty much a free man, and it doesn't make no sense to shackle yourself up tbh

Leetonidas
09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Move to Alaska

Katherine Robinson
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Move to Alaska

I doubt a member of Spurstalk has the survival skills of Chris McCandless and he died fairly quickly.

DMC
09-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I remember once I was traveling in a fried out combie, on a hippie trail.. head full of zombie. I met a strange lady, she made me nervous but then she took me in and made me breakfast. Then I raped and killed her.

ohmwrecker
09-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Has anyone ever tried vegemite? It's disgusting.

DJR210
09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
The only reason I'd encourage you to move from where you are is to allow you to have access to better employers assuming the city you're in is limited with places to work.

GoodOdor
09-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Just end it all, Jacob. Be brave.

Jacob1983
09-06-2013, 10:56 PM
This is how I feel at Target
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAja7-RuvM

Axegrinder
09-07-2013, 02:01 AM
There ain't many American cities better than Dallas and the US is still the best country of the world whatever trash you say. I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to bring some changes to your life, those changes may not always turn out to be positive but it's not like you have much to lose anyway. Just say fuck it to your "wonderful" job and do whatever you want to do imho. good thing is you still not committed to any bitch or shit so you're still pretty much a free man, and it doesn't make no sense to shackle yourself up tbh HOLY SHIT..You actually think Dallas is a great place? I highly doubt you have even visited much less lived there. Everything north of the hill country in texas is ugly scenery. Dallas aint even tops in Texas..Austin crushes Dallas. Hell, I even prefer SA over Dallas in nearly every way.

To OP, it depends on your definition of off the grid. If you mean it literally, it takes a decent sized stake just to get started. I've lived all over the country and suggest you just try a new environment that has at least something that interests you. Going straight to Alaska on a whim would likely be disastrous.

The Reckoning
09-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Has anyone ever tried vegemite? It's disgusting.

no way man. it's how you use it that makes it kickass.

take two pieces of toast, slab on a thick layer of real butter on them and then a small sample of vegemite on top of the butter.

if you want to jazz it up some, fry three eggs and put those babies in between the toast so you make yourself a vegemite/egg sandwhich.

and yes, i'm well aware it tastes like powdered beer, but it's best in small samples.

Woo Bum-kon
09-07-2013, 06:30 PM
no way man. it's how you use it that makes it kickass.

take two pieces of toast, slab on a thick layer of real butter on them and then a small sample of vegemite on top of the butter.

if you want to jazz it up some, fry three eggs and put those babies in between the toast so you make yourself a vegemite/egg sandwhich.

and yes, i'm well aware it tastes like powdered beer, but it's best in small samples.

https://archive.foolzashit.com/foolfuuka/boards/o/image/1368/08/1368089435912.jpg

Oh, Gee!!
09-08-2013, 01:37 AM
i moved to australia

that is badass

Jacob1983
09-17-2013, 01:06 AM
Well, I'm still considering it. I just feel like if I don't do this, I won't ever do it. I don't want to be one of those people that lives to an old age and thinks "what if". I don't want to deal with that regret. With all the drama I have right now, I seriously think a change of scenery would help me. Yeah, I know it won't solve my problems but it might help me better deal with them. Money is the only obstacle that stands in my way. I have been poor all my life. I went to college with the false hope of changing that but it obviously hasn't worked out. My dream would be to go to some country possibly New Zealand, Australia, Japan, or some country in Africa and get a job even if it's working at McDonald's. I'd even consider Canada. That shit looks good on a resume and would be an awesome story to tell people during job interviews. Besides, how many people can say that?

Xevious
09-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Let me save you the trouble. No matter where you move, you will have to work, you will have to pay rent/mortgage, and you will have to pay taxes. You will never be "off the grid" unless you become a beggar who lives in a tent somewhere.

Jacob1983
09-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Lately, it seems like people like to shit on things that I would like to do. :rolleyes

Xevious
09-17-2013, 04:27 AM
If you have nothing tying you down and want to move, go for it. But that is by no means off the grid.

Chief Brody
09-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Find God...he may have some openings at Jiffy Lube.

Rogue
09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd rather stay in my old home town if I were you, stay where your parents are and live with them so you don't have anything to worry about. You're also kind of a celibate and there doesn't seem to be any better choice for you than living with your parents.

An ambitious guy in his 20s or early 30s ought to live a frugal life while doing everything he can do equip himself with new knowledge and skills, according to Leykism, and you'll surprise yourself in the awareness of how much money it'll save you by living frugally. Thrift is a great revenue imho. I lived and ate at home throughout my 4 years in college and, except tuition, I had only spent no more than 200 bucks myself during that time. Most of that money was spent buying books and food at school, and I managed to cut it by more than a half from my junior year onward by skipping lunches.

Jacob1983
09-18-2013, 03:00 AM
I have just been doing a lot of in depth thinking and looking back. I'm starting to see how bad I have screwed myself because of past mistakes and terrible decision making. Poor financial decisions are in the top 5 of my list of regrets. Wasting money on stupid shit will come back and bite you in the ass. I am just starting to realize that. Neglect and sloth have been going on way too long in my life. Those two things are very prevalent in the family. Back in 2007 and 2008, I went a year and a half with driving my shitty car even though the check engine light was on. That was the time I learned about the wonderful invention of the catalytic converter. Yeah, looking back on it, it was a horrible mistake. Driving with that broken shit probably made the car worse but I didn't have the money to get it fixed. I went a year and a half with an expired inspection sticker. Mistakes like that are ridiculous and not necessary. I want to break the cycle. I want to make good decisions. One of the best decisions I made in the last 5 years was to finally end my contract with shitty Sprint. I got a cheap prepaid phone with ATT to save money. To be honest, smartphones are hugely overrated. Relying on a touch screen is too much of a hassle for me anyways.

The Loner
09-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Made decision years ago.

Jacob1983
09-26-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm weighing my options between saving up for a replacement car or finally leaving my neck of the woods.

ploto
09-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Have you considered the Peace Corps? You would not even need a car.

Or maybe check into teaching English in another country.

Some programs might even help pay off some of your student loans.

The Reckoning
09-26-2013, 08:56 AM
he's just trolling. noone wants to end up in somalia swatting flies.

Rogue
09-26-2013, 09:08 AM
You don't need to get a smart phone or a car to fit in tbh. You don't have no bitch to flatter so you're still privileged to enjoy your life living in your parents house just as much as you did in your childhood. Sure you got different things to do than what you did back then, you need to learn new skills and knowledge to better prepare yourself for a great future which you're definitely going to have.

Teaching english abroad sounds a real good proposal imho. Stupid chinks would reward you big bucks just for being white... I remember a foreign english teacher that I knew in high school. Dude came from England but wasn't born there. he told us he came to England as a child, from Pakistan, and his Paki accent (Paki-British accent, to be accurate) sounded just terrible, to say the least. And our high school was the best in our city. That curry-eating son of a bitch must get paid just as much as, if not more than he would've earned in UK, otherwise who the hell would ever wanna work in China?

Jacob1983
09-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I just don't want to be a townie forever. Some people might love that way of life but not me. I don't want to be an elf that makes toys. I want to be an elf that does what makes him happy. FYI, I don't live with my parents. I haven't lived with my parents since 2010. I lived in a ghetto duplex from the fall of 2010 to the spring of this year. I moved into a house with my siblings and we are sharing a monthly rent payment. I just want to be like that Kelly Clarkson song and Break Away.:p:

RD2191
09-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I just don't want to be a townie forever. Some people might love that way of life but not me. I don't want to be an elf that makes toys. I want to be an elf that does what makes him happy. FYI, I don't live with my parents. I haven't lived with my parents since 2010. I lived in a ghetto duplex from the fall of 2010 to the spring of this year. I moved into a house with my siblings and we are sharing a monthly rent payment. I just want to be like that Kelly Clarkson song and Break Away.:p:
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Blake
09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
I have just been doing a lot of in depth thinking and looking back. I'm starting to see how bad I have screwed myself because of past mistakes and terrible decision making. Poor financial decisions are in the top 5 of my list of regrets. Wasting money on stupid shit will come back and bite you in the ass. I am just starting to realize that. Neglect and sloth have been going on way too long in my life. Those two things are very prevalent in the family. Back in 2007 and 2008, I went a year and a half with driving my shitty car even though the check engine light was on. That was the time I learned about the wonderful invention of the catalytic converter. Yeah, looking back on it, it was a horrible mistake. Driving with that broken shit probably made the car worse but I didn't have the money to get it fixed. I went a year and a half with an expired inspection sticker. Mistakes like that are ridiculous and not necessary. I want to break the cycle. I want to make good decisions. One of the best decisions I made in the last 5 years was to finally end my contract with shitty Sprint. I got a cheap prepaid phone with ATT to save money. To be honest, smartphones are hugely overrated. Relying on a touch screen is too much of a hassle for me anyways.

Going off the grid means getting rid of your phone.

Rogue
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
But you've been working at that treadmill for 6 years right? since before you moved out of your parents' house? You're still single which's the thing to cherish because it allows you the freedom to do whatever you like to please yourself. The schooling system is a total sham, I agree with you and I'm also pretty disappointed with what's going on in my life. School is overrated, far below what I initially expected but at the very least I'm no longer stuck in a deadend shitty job like the one where I used to work for more than half a year. My cousins all have got decent jobs and a cousin of my just got his first baby earlier this month, but I've got one thing that they all should envy me of... freedom that is. I feel I have complete freedom now, no job, no bitch, so I can do a lot of things to my pleasure like writing the "goddess" novel series, despite the school shit. I can't make sure I'll succeed as a writer or anything I desire to be, but at the very least even if I fail, I know my parents are the people that I can fall back upon anytime. You're even luckier than me that you have some siblings, which I have none of, just some cousins who become more and more like strangers to me :depressed

Jacob1983
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
My phone is a crappy prepaid flip phone from AT&T so I think I can part ways with my phone.

Chief Brody
09-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Go with GhettoPCS and the $50 flat rate...I've had surprisingly great service and haven't been jew'd on data charges like AT&T and Verizon do.

Lincoln
09-28-2013, 02:08 AM

You work at the 380/75 one, 121 and Custer, Stacy/75, or McDermott? I wanna meet The Champ, te legend, Jacob1983

Lincoln
09-28-2013, 02:11 AM
stop crying and fist yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7Aqs5-BXY

Rip the king of aesthetics

monosylab1k
09-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

xmas1997
09-30-2013, 10:57 AM
It's actually a great idea.
Been there and did that.
I recommend going to a coastal or a mountain area.
The change of scenery helps more than just the change of place. The more drastic the change from what you are used to, the better.
And it can actually revive you. It did me.
I moved to a mountain city, Santa Fe, N.M.
Now I really miss it since I moved back home.