PDA

View Full Version : brown deserves to go to another team

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
with the spurs he is not going to see 20-25 minutes a night
he needs to get a chance to play and get paid before he gets hurt
if he signs a 3 year deal I would be surpised if the last year is the players option
he might get lucky and get one good paying contact
he will not get that here

I hope he goes to a good team

Cant_Be_Faded
07-21-2005, 10:36 PM
the answer to this problem is trading udrih

i like beno...i really do...

but if we re-sign grob, and dbrown, then we should definitely trade beno

The beauty of this move is that brent barry will finally be able to run the backup point....his effectiveness will be better than that of Beno's this past year...plus with Devin Brown at SG and G Rob at SF....our second unit will be 3lit3.....

we can totally start doing the memphis thing and play our second unit for extended periods of time.

JUUOT
07-21-2005, 10:37 PM
It might not sound ike the best team but could be great for Devin who would bring experience and work ethic and would be given the opportunity to shine :

the BOBCATS

with gerald wallace and felton it could be a nice upgrade for the bobcats. the fact brown is a really good ball handler would help felton. this is one of the best opportunity for him

PS: barry as back up Point guard is hard to beleive under POP coaching

Cant_Be_Faded
07-21-2005, 10:38 PM
devin brown is a fan favorite: a chosen son of san antonio...

he has yet to reach his potential....i think we should keep him even above Grob..

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:41 PM
do you think he will get 20-25 minutes regular with the spurs?

ducks
07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
rose was a fan favorite and was traded

SequSpur
07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
The Spurs are getting ready to deal. Just wait.

Bruno
07-21-2005, 10:55 PM
How pleasant is it to be a spurs fan.
Main offseason problem : we have too much talented players who want to play for us (and they are not overpaid) :lol

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 07:50 AM
devin brown is a fan favorite: a chosen son of san antonio...

I'd love to see him in Spurs' Jersey for many seasons, the problem is he need to develop and will ask for a big role.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-22-2005, 08:13 AM
He needs to get paid before he gets hurt?

He already got hurt.

Given that he cannot be counted on for heavy minutes. Swingmen are a dime a dozen in this league and he has a suspect back.

He was really coming on strong this season and Id like to see a decent two year deal for him from the Spurs.

whottt
07-22-2005, 08:32 AM
I am not real crazy about the idea of trading Beno...

Barry is going to be 35 years old.

If the Spurs sign Sarunas Jasckiviseus then maybe...but we can't go into this season with a 35 year old back up PG and a scrub behind him.

On top of that Barry has trouble guarding smaller quick guards...he does a better job against 2 guards and SF's that aren't so quick. He's 6'7 and nearly 35...you can't just throw him out there on any PG.

He had more trouble guarding Lindsey Hunter than he did anyone in the Finals.

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 08:35 AM
It's not clear to me why people constantly want to trade Beno. Struggles in the playoffs aside, the guy shows flashes of starter talent at a position that's hard to capably fill.

GoSpurs21
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
with the spurs he is not going to see 20-25 minutes a night
he needs to get a chance to play and get paid before he gets hurt
if he signs a 3 year deal I would be surpised if the last year is the players option
he might get lucky and get one good paying contact
he will not get that here

I hope he goes to a good teambullshit Devin deserves what ever he wants. If he wants to stay in SA for less playing time and less money but more peace of mind, happiness and winning then thats his choice. not everyone is about milking as much money out of the system

you wouldnt believe how much sanity comes into the equation. I know several people (including myself) that could make way more money then we already do, but we are lucky enough to have found a place in the world where the pay rocks without giving up our sanity. I have worked in places where the pressure outweigthed the money paid, believe me it wasnt worth it

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Why do the Spurs need to move Beno to retain Brown?

When coming up with potential moves, you don't address a non-issue by creating one. Or, more succinctly, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Anyways, the Spurs are handling Brown's situation rather effectively. It's in the Spurs' interest to take their time and seem somewhat indifferent about him coming back. The only way a team is going to be sure it can wrest Brown from the Spurs is to offer him more than the MLE. A team isn't going to make that kind of move at a guy with a bad back. The Spurs are acting like they know something no one else does. They can sit back and see what kind of money is thrown Devin's way. It seems unlikely that anyone is going to throw a lot his way. He's a hometown guy and has expresed a desire to stay at home. So if another team makes an offer, the Spurs can make one in the ballpark and likely retain him. Shrewd.

boutons
07-22-2005, 08:51 AM
"The Spurs are acting like they know something no one else does."

huh? how, specfically, are the Spurs acting that shows they know something ?

The only "something" that matters with Devin is the future, and nobody knows that.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
His back.

boutons
07-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Whatever the Spurs "know" about Devin's back (1. herniated disc and atrophied leg muscles are healing/healed and not likely to recur (non-issue). 2. his recurrent back spasms (like most humans and many athletes)) will be also be known, via the physical, by any other team before signing a contract, and may be mentioned in contract as a gotcha.

I really don't think there is any secret knowledge by the Spurs vs teams who may want Devin.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 10:11 AM
The Spurs have oberved him day in and day out for the last couple of years. There is some knowledge that just cannot be gleaned from those files. If the Spurs feel that he's a changed player after the injury, then that is useful information for any other prospective suitor.

midgetonadonkey
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I think he is a great fit in the system. He should get a two year deal for little money, if he isn't the same player they can bury his ass on the bench. If he does return to form, then it would have been worth the risk.

Banks91
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
we got to see how a little of wat brown can do last season against the Lakers, when

he was almost our best player the last 3 games of that series

GrandeDavid
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
How pleasant is it to be a spurs fan.
Main offseason problem : we have too much talented players who want to play for us (and they are not overpaid) :lol

Amen! These are definitely some seriously glorious times for us Spurs fans. We must savor these next several years. Damn it feels good to be a Spurs fan!

pache100
07-22-2005, 10:42 AM
brown deserves to go to another team

Well...I think we (Spurs, Spurs fans, San Antonio, etc.) deserve to keep him right here! So there.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Brown, if healthy, is the consumate Spur role player. He will defend, he plays smart, is tough, is a team player, wants to stay with the team, and he will do pretty much whatever is asked of him. He's also built rather solidly and is quite athletic.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I said we should trade beno if we resign both brown and robinson

and we should

I realize barry has troubles with guarding quick point guards, but so does beno....

whottt you're the one who made people realize he's got the smarts and know-how on the offensive end to make him a worthy backup pg

and if we DID resign brown and robinson then that would 'create' a problem in itself by not having enough minutes to go around with these guys we are giving millions of dollars

so my quick answer to this was to trade beno and shift barry to backup pg..he acted as backup pg whenever we played him at backup sg, and it wasnt effective all the time...it led to people constantly whining about how he didnt do anything while on the floor...
no matter how old he is it would still lead to some beautiful offensive plays with barry at the helm

wildbill2u
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Most teams will shy away from a player with a back injury, even a free agent. If the Spurs keep him and he can stand the gaff of a full season without reinjuring himself and does well, then he would be worth more to the Spurs and to other teams. Some people here see him as a starter at SG in this league, but I don't know where.

His best bet if he wants to maximize his potential income is to sign a short term contract (one year) here to prove himself injury free. If he wants security because of the back, then he should try to work out a longer term (three years) with the Spurs.

pache100
07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Most teams will shy away from a player with a back injury, even a free agent.

That means they would have "shied away" from David Robinson??? Back injuries plagued him his whole career. I think it depends on the circumstances, the player, the diagnosis/what the doctors say about the long term, and the team that's interested. Look what he did for the Spurs (and vice versa).

There are a lot of things (medical conditions) that will make some teams "shy away" from some players. In February of 1994, a trade between the Detroit Pistons and the Houston Rockets (curiously enough, included Robert Horry!) fell through because one of the guys in the trade couldn't pass the physical because of kidney problems. The Pistons resigned him again in August of '94 and the next day, he was traded (back) to the Spurs. That guy was Sean Elliott. No other team was willing to take a chance on him. And, look what he did for the Spurs (and vice versa). You can't just automatically mark a player as dead because he has an injury or illness. People come back from injuries and illnesses all the time. Just ask Alonzo Mourning.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 02:39 PM
if there is anyone that needs to be traded it is tpark

ducks
08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I think he will go to a team where he will get 25 minutes a night

Vashner
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
It all depends on what the MRI says... sometimes when disk blow that's it.. ova.. done. baked.. cooked etc.

Fouled Out
08-02-2005, 03:10 PM
We know and he knows about his back, now the smart decision to make is for him to take a pay cut, sorry kid but shit happened to you to early, with that injury he just added years to his career, instead of being 2 or 3 years in, that injury caused him money and now it is like 5 or 6 years, like an aging player. It will take him some time to heal, his best bet is to take less If he really likes this city and maybe within the next year give him a little bit of playing time till his back gets better. That is a tough injury for any team to handle bottom line.......

Kip Fanatic
08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Only Devin knows how the back really feels. If I were Devin, I would either sign with another team to get more money if that option is there. The guy already has a Championship ring. There are many, many guys who have played in this league that take pay cuts to get a ring and don't. Devin is the opposite. He hasn't been in the league that long and has a ring already. He can choose to sign with a team that may not be that good, but can throw a good chunk of change at him. As fans we say that he should take less and comeback because he is from here and what not. What does he owe us fans? That's easy to say because we're not in his shoes. If Devin gets a nice contract offer I say take it. We all know that more money is good. Not the best or only thing, but its good to have. Now, if he doesn't get an offer from another team that will pay him more, he can play out this next season and show his back is not an issue and wait for an offer next year. This guy can play. He drives hard to the basket and has a decent shot from the outside. He is a smart basketball player and a solid defender. If he stays here for just this next season and shows what he is capable then he will get a really nice offer from anther team and because he is a free agent he doesn't have to worry about the Spurs matching. That's what is best for Devin. Its not about us fans. I want him to stay because I am a fan of his and this team, but he is human like us and if he can get more money than more power to him.