PDA

View Full Version : For Some Reason I Saw This

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I know that the Hawks are in search of a Center. The Spurs have at least one that they can spare. Whether that be Nazr or Rasho. Who knows? What is known is that the Hawks need a center and a point guard. Tyron Lue isn't going to get the job done. They are looking at Salim while he plays in the summer league. Tony Delk is a free agent. Royal Ivey doesn't seem to be getting any closer to getting that job. As far as centers go they had Kevin Willis, but lets be real the guy is way past his time. I love the guy and I am very glad he got a ring with the Spurs, but he doesn't seem to be a factor. Jason Collier isn't anything to brag about. Tom Googs is a free agent and isn't any where near what he use to be. They have Michael Stewart, but who is Michael Stewart. This team is in serious need of a center and point. They are stacked in all other areas with tons of young talent. What it be possible to trade away are Slovenians to Atlanta for one of their small forwards? I know they are hoping to land a center with the all the money they have, but the guys they are targeting are restricted FA's. What do you people think?

I kind of sensed this one coming. The big guys the Hawks are chasing are restricted and they are better off spending their money on other free agents. Why wait and lose valuable time? The Spurs have something they need and the Spurs get what they are looking for.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
That's the gist of the idea. Rasho also comes at a fair price. Sure, guys like Dalembert are more desirable than Radoslav, but at they worth double his price?

Atlanta is building an uptempo, open court style of team. They need a center who will rebound, block shots, and generally stay out of the way. That suits Radoslav perfectly. As for Scola, he'd fit right in.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Scola would fit in great with Atlanta. Too bad he couldn't come into an agreement with the Spurs, but if this goes down and the Spurs get someone like Al Harrington or Josh Smith, both teams win.

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I think Josh Smith is pretty much untouchable.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:24 PM
If Atlanta wants a starting frontline then they better be ready to pay.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:26 PM
They have the money to pay, but the teams hold the rights to match and I think Atlanta doesn't want to risk.

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Unless Express-News reports something, the majority of the time the rumors does not come true. You all have to remember that Coach Pop and Buford are very sercretive about their actions.

ducks
07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
the hawk rasho trade was picked up because ti was in a article over seas
not in the usa

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
the hawk rasho trade was picked up because ti was in a article over seas
not in the usa

True.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
They have the money to pay, but the teams hold the rights to match and I think Atlanta doesn't want to risk.

I meant they better be ready to pay the Spurs.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:38 PM
I think El Correo is a decent source.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:39 PM
True M.Bryant. Josh Childress and Al Harrington are fair enough.

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I doubt they'll give us both.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
I doubt we get both, but one of the two a draft pick should be good enough since the Spurs are giving up a legit center and a European Star.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Rasho and Scola is worth Childress, another younger player and a future 2nd round.

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:48 PM
But the money doesn't work out.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I would love the Spurs to get Al Harrington because he is very athletic, but mainly because his contract expires next year. That would give the Spurs an opportunity to re-sign Nazr.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2005, 11:49 PM
The money doesn't have to work out as the Hawks are under the cap.

Steve-O-Matic
07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
The Hawks love both Childress and Smith and view each as a cornerstone piece in their rebuilding project. There is no way - no way! - that they are going to package either (never mind both) in exchange for a mediorcre, unathletic, 6 ppg Center who is due $21 million over the next three years and coming off of an injury, and an unproven (NBA-wise) 6-foot-7-ish PF prospect who may or may not arrive in the League for up to another 3 years. That pipe dream is patently absurd.

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
The problem is...is that Nazr might still bolt for more money than the contract Rasho got.

ducks
07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
do you think the spurs would not have talked to nazr before they ship rasho's ass off?

usckk
07-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't care...I want to see the official extension to believe it...So he doesn't pull a Boozer.

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 11:53 PM
The Hawks love both Childress and Smith and view each as a cornerstone piece in their rebuilding project. There is no way - no way! - that they are going to package either (never mind both) in exchange for a mediorcre, unathletic, 6 ppg Center who is due $21 million over the next three years and coming off of an injury, and an unproven (NBA-wise) 6-foot-7-ish PF prospect who may or may not arrive in the League for up to another 3 years. That pipe dream is patently absurd.

Well, if they want a center they'll have to pay. Quality bigs are much more rare in the NBA than an athletic swing.

I wouldn't put too much stock into Rasho's ppg. The 5 man in SA doesn't tend to get a lot of scoring opportunities.

And it's $30 mil over the next 4 seasons.

TheTruth
07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, both are viewed as such great cornerstones that the Hawks went and drafte a guy that plays their positions with the 2nd pick, and are trying to sign another guy that plays their positions with a max deal. HUGE vote of confidence.

spurjur
07-21-2005, 11:56 PM
They just drafted an athletic swing in Marvin Williams

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I'll tell you what's a pipe dream. Thinking they're ever going to be anything more than a lotto team with what they currently have at PF and C, two positions we're basically talking about trading them starters for one wing.

lordswing
07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Hawks are throwing money at JJ t be their PG btw, even if it's not his natural position, he's gotta be better than Diaw

Steve-O-Matic
07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
You people are amazing - you feel that Rasho Nesterovic (arguably the most maligned Spur on the roster, whom you can't show the door to fast enough) is somehow the answer to the Hawks' problems, all the while you pine for a player who - if he were sent to the Spurs - would mean he was given up on by the worst team in the League after only one season. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

spurjur
07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
There is a reason they want to sign both Joe Johnson and Ed Curry to max deals. They need quality players at that position. The Hawks need to win now. They are losing more fans by the minute. The Hawks can't afford to wait for guys like Childress or Smith to develop. That's why it makes sense to get mature players like a Rasho or Scola. That's why they want to sign Johnson and Curry to offer sheets.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:06 AM
You people are amazing - you feel that Rasho Nesterovic (arguably the most maligned Spur on the roster, whom you can't show the door to fast enough) is somehow the answer to the Hawks' problems, all the while you pine for a player who - if he were sent to the Spurs - would mean he was given up on by the worst team in the League after only one season. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

What is amazing is that you don't seem to realize that the Hawks are in dire need of a center and are somewhat limited in their prospects of landing one via free agency. Like it or not, bigmen in the NBA are much more valued for limited skills than perimeter players. Rasho gets a lot of grief in this forum, but bear in mind that is in comparision to DRob and TD. Compared to what the Hawks have Rasho looks like friggin' Bill Russell.

Also, Rasho is not the "answer to the Hawks' problems". But he is an answer to their lack of a quality starting center.

Steve-O-Matic
07-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Keep dreaming, because there's no way in hell its going to happen (not in exchange for Childress and/or Smith, that is). Harrington, maybe. That would make some sense, at least.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Also, Rasho's contract is not a ball buster for a starting NBA center. The Hawks can't expect to get a starting quality center on an affordable deal from the Spurs for anything less than a Childress.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Keep dreaming, because there's no way in hell its going to happen (not in exchange for Childress and/or Smith, that is). Harrington, maybe. That would make some sense, at least.

Dreaming? You are the one grossly overvaluing the value of Childress. Athletic 6'7" to 6'9" types who can run the floor and shoot a little are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Big men who can walk and chew gum at the same time are worth $40 mil guaranteed.

spurjur
07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
I like Smith, Childress, and Harrington. Either of those three would help the Spurs as a backup to Bowen. I like Childress a little more because he has those long arms that will get in the way of his opponent.

Steve-O-Matic
07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
MB, you're not even making sense anymore. If Rasho is so valuable, and Childress a "dime a dozen", they WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT THE SPURS TO MAKE THAT TRADE?!?!?!

I'd quit while you're behind, dude.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:16 AM
You should never have started. Relative to bigs in the NBA, quality swings are indeed a dime a dozen. That's why I've said the Hawks need to come with Childress + more to make it worth the Spurs time to deal Rasho and Scola.

It doesn't mean jack whether Childress can score more than Rasho, not one bit as you suggest. Their value in the NBA at their respective positions is roughly equal, and that's the true measuring stick.

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
MB, you're not even making sense anymore. If Rasho is so valuable, and Childress a "dime a dozen", they WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT THE SPURS TO MAKE THAT TRADE?!?!?!

I'd quit while you're behind, dude.
The Spurs make that trade because they are the ONLY team in the NBA with 4 quality players that can play center (Nazr, Rasho, Oberto, Timmy), and their 3 (bruce) is getting up in age.

Steve-O-Matic
07-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh sure, and while were at it, lets send Brent Barry to Miami for Dwayne Wade since the Heat need a shooter. :rolleyes

You're done, Marcus.

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh sure, and while were at it, lets send Brent Barry to Miami for Dwayne Wade since the Heat need a shooter. :rolleyes

You're done, Marcus.
Credibility...LOST.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Done with you? Yes, quite a while ago.

Anyone with a smidgen of understanding of the league understands the premium given to quality bigs.

You don't, so run along now.

T Park
07-22-2005, 12:20 AM
If Rasho is so valuable, and Childress a "dime a dozen", they WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT THE SPURS TO MAKE THAT TRADE?!?!?!

because the Spurs have other bigs that are as good and better than Nesterovic.

If Nazr Mohammed wasn't here and Malik Rose was, Id want the Spurs to keep Nesterovic.

But since MOhammed is younger and more athletic, and Oberto is more talented offensively, im for trading Nesterovic.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
And your Barry example was pretty stupid. He and Wade play the same basic position, a 2 man who can play some 1.

Stop wasting space.

spurjur
07-22-2005, 12:23 AM
We're talking about needs here. The Spurs need an athletic 3 to replace Bowen once he retires. The Hawks need a center now. Why? Because they don't have one. Let's look at the Spurs last year.

The Spurs were deep at the 4 and were in need of a center. What did they do? Trade Malik and got Nazr in return. Its the same thing only its involving different players. Teams do it all the time. That's why the Suns traded Q. Richardson to the Knicks. The Suns needed a 4 to try and stop Tim. So they gave up Q who to a lot us is a better player than Tim Thomas, but they addressed a need.

T Park
07-22-2005, 12:24 AM
The guy is not even worth wasting breath on...

Manuismyhomeboy
07-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Steve, why dont you come back when you can actually back up your statements and not blast someone who knows and follows basketball and knows what they are talking about.

HomerSimpson
07-22-2005, 12:26 AM

You're done, Marcus.
How do you get soo stupid?