PDA

View Full Version : Saunders says Pistons need to find role for Milicic

Kori Ellis
07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Saunders says Pistons need to find role for Milicic
Friday, July 22, 2005
By A. Sherrod Blakely

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/112198560339480.xml&coll=1

AUBURN HILLS -- Among the early challenges facing Flip Saunders as the Detroit Pistons' head coach will be finding a place for Darko Milicic on the floor. For the past two seasons, the No. 2 overall draft pick in 2003 has been a mainstay at the end of the Pistons' bench.

Saunders addressed Milicic's situation on Thursday, as well as his overall philosophy toward young players.

``The No. 1 thing with young players, you got to get them to play hard,'' Saunders said after being introduced as Detroit's new coach. ``That's the No. 1 thing you really have to stress with them. As I've told players ... when you step out on the court, they don't check your paycheck to see how much you make, and they don't check your ID to see how old you are. You have to go out and compete.''

Saunders recognizes that Milicic, one of the few players from that draft not to play much, needs a confidence boost.

``As a coach, you have to have all players play at a confident level,'' Saunders said. ``If they don't, they'll never play up to their potential. The reason Darko has a chance is because he's got an attitude, he's got good character.

``We've got to work on keeping him where he plays at a high level, and give him responsibility. That's why this summer is important, preseason is important. But ... nothing is given to you in this league. He'll earn time. We're going to give him every opportunity.''

Saunders will spend the next few weeks putting together his coaching staff from about 20 possible candidates. He is expected to try to bring at least one of his former Minnesota assistants to Detroit. That will likely be Don Zierden, one of Saunders' best friends. It's unclear if the Timberwolves will give the Pistons permission to talk to him. Sidney Lowe is another possibility, although he has interviewed for an assistant's job with Nate McMillan in Portland.

``I really hadn't thought that much about it,'' Saunders said of assembling his coaching staff. ``I'll sit down with Joe (Dumars) and John (Hammond) and start talking about a list of people.''

It is doubtful that Saunders will retain any of the Pistons' assistants.

The Pistons were pleasantly surprised by the play of all three of their recent draft picks -- Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson and Alex Acker.

But of the trio, the unexpectedly solid play of Acker was the biggest eye-opener.

``Acker was probably our most consistent player over the summer league,'' said Hammond, Detroit's vice president of basketball operations. ``He played extremely well. Every game, he played well ... mistake-free basketball.''

The Pistons have yet to sign Acker or Johnson, partly because the team is not sure of what it will do via free agency this summer.

In addition to the usual collection of free agents and restricted free agents, the league's one-time amnesty rule allowing teams to waive higher-salaried players could put the Pistons in the market for proven veterans such as Dallas' Michael Finley, Toronto's Jalen Rose or possibly former Piston and current New York Knicks guard Allan Houston. However, Hammond said the Pistons are looking primarily at small forwards who can play behind Tayshaun Prince.

``Tayshaun Prince probably played way too many minutes (this past season),'' Hammond said.

The goal through free agency would be to ``give him a little help on the offensive end and defensive end, take a little pressure off of him,'' Hammond said.

Dumars has a new long-term deal as the Pistons president of basketball operations. The original deal he signed in 2000 was to expire prior to the start of this upcoming season. ... Although NBA schedules won't be released until later this month, the Pistons are expected to play either the San Antonio Spurs or the Phoenix Suns at The Palace on Christmas. It would mark the second straight season in which the Pistons played on Christmas. ... Saunders' oldest child, Ryan, is a walk-on basketball player at the University of Minnesota, the alma mater of both of his parents.

Pistons < Spurs
07-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Good read.

I'm really hoping that Flip tries to play Darko as more of a 4, as opposed to LB's idea of making him a back to the basket 5. But regardless, I just hope to see him get some minutes.

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Darko is not athletic enough to be a 4. Dirk and some of the athletic 4's would school him. Darko is definitely a 5 but can play outside a little.

Pistons < Spurs
07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Darko is not athletic enough to be a 4. Dirk and some of the athletic 4's would school him. Darko is definitely a 5 but can play outside a little.

I would say he's not aggressive or decive enough...but not "not athletic enough". The year before we drafted him, he was actually playing some pg. We supposedly drafted him because of his outside game that was compared to Dirk, and Garnett. All anyone ever comments on about him (positively) is his speed, and lateral quickness. Now granted, Dirk, Garnett, and EVERY other 4 would tear him apart right now...but given time, who knows.

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Darko is not even close to Dirk. He has no outside shot, average rebounder, average defender but he will get embarrassed at the 4. He will continue to get stronger and obviously be a 5. Isn't he 7'2?

Pistons < Spurs
07-22-2005, 12:30 AM
He doesn't have the range that dirk does, But that is more of the style that he was used to playing.

Found this old draft article with D Nelson commenting on Darko.

Some have compared Milicic to Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, but Donn Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations doesn't think it's a good comparison.

"We saw Dirk as a multi-position player, but I think Darko is a pure (power forward)," Nelson said. "Darko doesn't shoot it from as far as Dirk does, but Darko is more dominant in the paint. Dirk is more of finesse player while Darko is more of a power guy.

"Obviously, we think the world of Dirk. But I would be very surprised if Darko was not a success in this league.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Darko is not even close to Dirk. He has no outside shot, average rebounder, average defender but he will get embarrassed at the 4. He will continue to get stronger and obviously be a 5. Isn't he 7'2?

You don't know shit about Darko apparently.

Darko is like Rasheed, he's more of a shooter than a post up player, and he will have to play 4.

He's not "wide" enough to be a 5, and his defense isn't the greatest.

The guy won't be embarrassed as a 4.

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 01:24 AM
You don't know shit about Darko apparently.

Darko is like Rasheed, he's more of a shooter than a post up player, and he will have to play 4.

He's not "wide" enough to be a 5, and his defense isn't the greatest.

The guy won't be embarrassed as a 4.

You don't know anything. Darko is not quick enough to guard 4's. He keeps bricking outside shots even though that is supposedly what he is good at. Steven Hunter is not wide either but that does not make him a 4. Dirk would be the first to embarrass him at the 4. He can still be a shooter at the 5.

Sense
07-22-2005, 01:36 AM
You don't know anything. Darko is not quick enough to guard 4's. He keeps bricking outside shots even though that is supposedly what he is good at. Steven Hunter is not wide either but that does not make him a 4. Dirk would be the first to embarrass him at the 4. He can still be a shooter at the 5.

Darko is not quick to guard 4's....

Never thought 4's were quick....wow..

Steve Hunter is Big, Darko is still young, and he has no experience...putting him on a center position would fuck up his defense...because he has none, he'd be in a more confused situation.

Dirk is not a post up player, and he doesn't drive in.. I don't understand why you would say he's quick. And Dirk is all about shooting..wtf are you talking about.

I've yet to see a good shooting center, besides miller and Amare.

mavsfan1000
07-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Dirk's not quick? It took Mcgrady and Marion to stop him from penetrating. He is much quicker than Darko. The 4 position is loaded with talent and Darko is not ready to guard most 4's. He can't come out on 3 point shooters. He is more a 5 and I expect more knowledge from a spurs fan than that.

Sense
07-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Dirk's not quick? It took Mcgrady and Marion to stop him from penetrating. He is much quicker than Darko. The 4 position is loaded with talent and Darko is not ready to guard most 4's. He can't come out on 3 point shooters. He is more a 5 and I expect more knowledge from a spurs fan than that.

Dirk is not quick, those teams put their best defenders on Dirk because of his shooting... What kind of a Mavs fan are you?

It's obvious.

The 4 position is loaded with talent, but I think he'd rather try defending them rather than a Center. He wouldn't be able to do shit against a center, because he likes to be on the Spots that Duncan likes to be when banking.

He can come out on three point shooters... Darko will become a 4.

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Amare's not a good outside shooter.

But again, i point to Flips past. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this, he doesn't give PT to young guys that don't deserve it.

theMUHMEshow
07-22-2005, 09:15 AM

Darko is not athletic enough for the NBA lol, god I HATE THAT GUY! I cannot wait for JO to break his face next year with a dropstep dunk!

jochhejaam
07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Darko is not athletic enough for the NBA lol, god I HATE THAT GUY! I cannot wait for JO to break his face next year with a dropstep dunk!

What's Darko done to you to cause you to hate him? It's bad enough to wish that carnage on an opposing player let alone a player on a team you claim to be a fan of!
Anyone that wishes that garbage on a player isn't a fan.
Do the real Piston fans a favor and get off the bandwagon, you're useless!!

Spursdaone
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
The season is over for Detroit. They will be ready to Flip off their coach who will ruin them like he did with Minnesota. This guy is a joke for a coach.

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
pistons are going to compete wit spurs in FA market and sign and trade to get a bench SF. them behind prince and us behind bowen.

we are suppose to look for young and them for proven

Marklar MM
07-22-2005, 12:11 PM
The season is over for Detroit. They will be ready to Flip off their coach who will ruin them like he did with Minnesota. This guy is a joke for a coach.

McHale ruined Minny.

Sense
07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Amare's not a good outside shooter.

But again, i point to Flips past. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this, he doesn't give PT to young guys that don't deserve it.

I don't know what kind of Amare you guys saw against Minny...oh wait, I do... the guy owned the T'Wolves with dunks.

Well, I actually paid attention..90% of the shots he shot against the Spurs went in, and there were plenty.He didn't shoot three's..but they they were shots that usually Tim Duncan makes.

His Free Throw improvements also shows that he's committed to improving his game. Amare has also been practicing on his 3, who wouldn't on that team..however D'Antoni, doesn't want him shooting the three yet. Who could blame him..risky.

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 06:31 PM
That's basically it, the guy drives and dunks.

He's no where in the same league as a tim duncan or a KG as far as you having to respect his jumper.

90%, eh?

As far as committed to improving? Now i know your joking. He's already the best scoring PF in the leauge in my book, as a PF. His defense and rebounding are attrocious, but that's not "fun" for him

But you payed attention, right?

Pistons < Spurs
07-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Although NBA schedules won't be released until later this month, the Pistons are expected to play either the San Antonio Spurs or the Phoenix Suns at The Palace on Christmas. It would mark the second straight season in which the Pistons played on Christmas. ... Saunders' oldest child, Ryan, is a walk-on basketball player at the University of Minnesota, the alma mater of both of his parents.

I didn't notice this the first time I read through this article. How sweet would that be!!!! Although, I kinda hate X-Mas games as I'm soo busy that day.

Nash to Amare
07-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Milicic role will change. Instead of being a bench warmer they are requiring him to at least fill the waters for the players. They feel this could lead him the right direction for the team. He is a team player right?