PDA

View Full Version : Manu: "Oberto is an incredible player"

kolko
07-22-2005, 12:30 AM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/723511

Translated:

Here I am, quietly enjoying the title obtained with the Spurs. I'm enjoying more every day the fact of being a world champion. Anyways, that doesn't count when meeting with my family and friends. They are with me without mattering the results. Luckily, that also makes me feels great.

I'm updating with a lot of things, eating barbeques a lot and going out only a few times.

Anyways, I'm following what happens in basketball, specially with my team. I was very happy to know that Fabricio Oberto signed with the Spurs and very sad to know the situation of Luisito Scola. Both are great players and friends and it would have been awesome to play with both of them in San Antonio. Sadly, it was one or the other because of the cap situation and the number of big men currently on the roster. Re-signing Robert Horry, who had a great season, complicated Scola's situation, who also had problems with his exit from Tau. They asked me about them and I told them what I think, but then the front office decided.

You have to take into account that Tim Duncan plays around 35 or 40 minutes per game and there isn't much time to play for the other players in the same spot. That also was one of the reasons why Scola didn't sign.

Oberto is an incredible player, praised by every teammate he had. Fabri is a great worker, he has an high competitive spirit, a lot of character and always play in a team-first way, without selfishness. And in tactics things he should not have problems. He will adapt easy because they will ask him to do what he best know: defend and rebounding. We don't need him to score 15 or 20 points. I think Oberto will have important minutes and will convince Pop rapidly with his game. He will fight for the spot with Rasho Nesterovic, who didn't finished well because of an injury, and Nazr Mohammed.

I talked with Fabri some days ago, he was very happy and with anxiety to start as soon as possible. He refused to a lot of offers from the most important teams of Europe only to play in the NBA. He made a great bet.

Luisito is also a great player and a great man and I told him not to lower the arms, because I'm sure he will be great in the NBA. I imagine how hard is this for him. Also, trying to get the freedom of his team is very hard and complicated, difficult to deal with.

Talking about the program "Basketball without borders", which let me met a lot of people, I was surprised at the revolution caused by it. Specially in the hospitals. I blame the adults for that, because the main reason why we couldn't be more time with the kids was because of them. They did whatever they could to get an autograph. We were close to suspend the whole thing because of them. It's obvious that this visits can't be done without the help of the NBA because of the organization and security. For me it was great to help the kids. I realised the lucky I am when I saw the smile of the kids.

It was beautiful and exciting to know they were waiting for me, some of them with drawings. Seeing at how they looked at me and knowing they are trying to imitate me creates me a big commitment. They look at me as an example and I want to reply with the best possible way. The idea is to keep helping the kids so a foundation with my name will start to work soon to give back something of all the things they deserve.

Manu

HomerSimpson
07-22-2005, 12:34 AM
They asked me about them and I told them what I think, but then the front office decided.
Does the But make it seem like he was leaning towards scola?

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Does the But make it seem like he was leaning towards scola?

The "but" is just making it clear that it wasn't his decision.

angel_luv
07-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I love Gino's articles/ letters. I miss him!

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 02:40 AM
. They asked me about them and I told them what I think, but then the front office decided.

i can understand that bec.when we signed Manu back in 2002 he already said his favorite player & idol is Scola.

You have to take into account that Tim Duncan plays around 35 or 40 minutes per game and there isn't much time to play for the other players in the same spot. That also was one of the reasons why Scola didn't sign.
Scola wants playing time. He can't get it with the Spurs. There's Duncan, Horry. And it seems Oberto is the complete opposite (as what other articles about him reported), he doesn't care if he gets 5 shots a night or 15. He just do what the team wants him to do. As long as he plays in the NBA.

Maybe the Hawks can be a good spot for Scola. they need a big man. And they might can afford him.

smeagol
07-22-2005, 06:52 AM
Manu confirms two things:

1) He is friends with Luis

2) That Luis is a good man (not a whinner as some portray him to be on this board)

spvrs
07-22-2005, 07:16 AM
How incredibly lucky are the spurs? Two world class players TD and Manu and both arefirst class individuals as well.

Manu is one of a kind.

koklo thanks for the 'non' google translation. well done

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Of course Manu is going to say good things about his fellow countrymen. I'd be interested to know how the Spurs used him in recruiting Oberto.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Damn, I'm starting to like Manu more and more :depressed

MaNuMaNiAc
07-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Is it me, or does Manu always say the right things?

whottt
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Yes Manu does...the same cannot be said for Scola...he should take notes.

Summers
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Scola wants playing time. He can't get it with the Spurs. There's Duncan, Horry. And it seems Oberto is the complete opposite (as what other articles about him reported), he doesn't care if he gets 5 shots a night or 15. He just do what the team wants him to do. As long as he plays in the NBA.

Plus Scola is a power forward--he probably wouldn't enjoy being Tim's backup--and Oberto's a center who looks like he'll be a great complement to Tim on the floor.

Momma_monkey
07-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Manu's smart he doesn't like to burn bridges.

EasilyAmused
07-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I blame the adults for that, because the main reason why we couldn't be more time with the kids was because of them. They did whatever they could to get an autograph. We were close to suspend the whole thing because of them.

The adults should be embarrassed :oops

It was beautiful and exciting to know they were waiting for me, some of them with drawings. Seeing at how they looked at me and knowing they are trying to imitate me creates me a big commitment. They look at me as an example and I want to reply with the best possible way. The idea is to keep helping the kids so a foundation with my name will start to work soon to give back something of all the things they deserve.

awwww :makeout

GrandeDavid
07-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Wow, I'm now even higher on Fabri! Manu really vouched hardcore for his character, work ethic and skills. He sounds like a dream fit, according to Manu's description. Sorry it didn't work out for "Luisito", but as Manu points out, even if his contract were resolvable, it'd be tough for him to earn minutes at the 4, and being that he's undersized, that'd pretty much be his only option on the Spurs.

usckk
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
" They asked me about them and I told them what I think, but then the front office decided." (Manu)

I wonder what he thought...

waly.mg
07-22-2005, 11:13 AM

SA needs a big man who can play in the 4th, in the clutch we can play with Parker-Manu-Horry-TD-Scola or Oberto, Rasho and Nazr canīt play the 4th and TD always must to be the center

Duncan always must to play the final Q because donīt have a backup

GrandeDavid
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
The mob behavior by some of those adults, including hospital staff and even cops (allegedly)!!, was a shameful disgrace. People need to admire famous people, but don't try to become them when you are already an adult. Have fun on the ride, smile and congratulate a guy like Manu, but leave the dreaming and jocking for the kids. What a shame that Manu and his compatriotes' focus on the kids was somewhat tainted by such rampant, classless behavior.

waly.mg
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
" They asked me about them and I told them what I think, but then the front office decided." (Manu)

I wonder what he thought...

Probably TD can take a better look of both, because he played twice vs both
Both made TD have Fouls troubles in the olympics, and that isnīt a little thing

boutons
07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
"TD have Fouls troubles in the olympics"

no, FIBA refereering being very different from NBA refereeing got Tim in foul trouble, is what I recall, and why Tim said he was done with international competition.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
The mob behavior by some of those adults, including hospital staff and even cops (allegedly)!!, was a shameful disgrace. People need to admire famous people, but don't try to become them when you are already an adult. Have fun on the ride, smile and congratulate a guy like Manu, but leave the dreaming and jocking for the kids. What a shame that Manu and his compatriotes' focus on the kids was somewhat tainted by such rampant, classless behavior.
Oh give it a rest will you! They were fans, fans will do what fans do! Don't bring class into this, class has nothing to do with fan adoration.

bigzak25
07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
i think the spurs could use another option for low post scoring not named Tim.

If oberto is a good naz replacement, it makes sense that Luis would be a helluva an upgrade from Rash. I hope Scola is brought aboard next year.

timvp
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm sure Manu got his man in Oberto. They've been friends a long time ... and you can tell by their chemistry on the court.

Seeing the Spurs' final decision , it wouldn't be too hard to guess who Manu suggested. I doubt the Spurs would go against a guy who knows both players better than they could in years of scouting.

GoSpurs21
07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I cant believe people dont think Scola is not a whiner after all the crap he pulled last week. Scola was behaving like a 8 year old. At this point Scola's ego is too big to fit in a Spurs uniform. Maybe if he grows up next year he will be in the NBA.

The funny thing is that all the NBA GMs now see how Scola was behaving. He is not ingratiating himself to the NBA. Scola's acting like TO.

waly.mg
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Check the Games:

TD vs PR: 35:32 Min - 3 Fouls: USA: 27 Fouls - PR: 25 Fouls
Vs Greece: 26 MIn, 5 Fouls: USA : 22 Fouls - Greece : 25
Vs Aus: 33 Min - 4 Fouls: USA: 18 PF - AUS: 17
Vs LTU: 32 Min - 3 Fouls. USA: 24 Fouls - LTU: 27 Fouls
vs Spain: 20 Min - 4 Fouls. Gasol 40 min - 4 Fouls: USA 27 Fouls - Spain 18
vs Argentina: 19 Min - 5 Fouls. Argentina Personal Fouls: 24 - USA: 21
vs LTU: 24 Min - 4 Fouls: USA 22 Fouls - LTU: 27

Personal Fouls: USA 164
Opponent: 163 Fouls

Where are the FIBA rules problems?

spvrs
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Check the Games:

is this in reference to something?

Timoha
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
^Well, that just points out some of the differences imo. In most of those games Tim had 4 or 5 fouls, and he rarely gets taht many in the NBA especially so consistently.

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Check the Games:

The rules aren't only regarded to fouls, it is also about defense,goal tending, time out (remember that situation where a player of USA asked a time out and an opponent stole the ball).

The stats you showed us, shows no conspiracy, but ... the rules are different; players like Manu, Gasol, Dirk ... whoever played in both worlds FIBA and NBA knows the differences and will take advantage.

clubalien
07-22-2005, 03:11 PM
hmm everyone said that is shaq played by fiba rules he would have tons of fouls
But the facts show that it is TIM DUNCAN that has tons of fouls and cannot play FIBA and refs in NBA supporting tim

ofcourse all the homers will argue that OH the rule are differrnt tim just didn't have time to adjust but point is you dissing shaq and the facts show tim is the one that is getting fouls in fiba mroe then NBA

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:15 PM
TIM could play IMO, he only needs time to adapt... Shaq will be a MONSTER under FIBA's rules, consider a full zone defense with Shaq next to the rim.

spvrs
07-22-2005, 03:21 PM
TD looked at someone and he got a foul called... fix was in

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
TD looked at someone and he got a foul called... fix was in

he has a strong look under FIBA's rule :angel

waly.mg
07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
hmm everyone said that is shaq played by fiba rules he would have tons of fouls
But the facts show that it is TIM DUNCAN that has tons of fouls and cannot play FIBA and refs in NBA supporting tim

ofcourse all the homers will argue that OH the rule are differrnt tim just didn't have time to adjust but point is you dissing shaq and the facts show tim is the one that is getting fouls in fiba mroe then NBA

That can be a point

In the NBA the Superstars always have the calls, in the Olympics a foul is a foul although you are called Manu, Tim or who you are

Only in the Clutch some teams have the calls, like Yugoslavia

spvrs
07-22-2005, 03:28 PM
he has a strong look under FIBA's rule
:lol

sure maybe he had bad breath and kept breathing on people...

WalterBenitez
07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
:lol

sure maybe he had bad breath and kept breathing on people...

Yeah, but believe the main difference is ... no star treatment, you got bad refs and they are horrible for everyone.

2centsworth
07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
When the USA was clearly the more talented team and all the other teams took jumpshots while the USA drove to the bucket and the fouls were even. Give me a break. Confirms a fix was in.

diego
07-22-2005, 05:17 PM
When the USA was clearly the more talented team and all the other teams took jumpshots while the USA drove to the bucket and the fouls were even. Give me a break. Confirms a fix was in.

more talented team? or more talented individuals?

and those other teams MADE those jumpshots. USA may or may not have drove to the bucket more but if other teams are bombing 3s on you it doesnt matter (manu scored 29 on 12 shots against US), cant be bothered to look up the 3s but argentina had the US on a big margin there.

and finally, as far as Duncan fouling out, no one ever mentions that FIBA has one less foul to give- ever think that might have something to do with it?? I mean that makes it 16% more likely you will foul out!!!

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 11:52 PM
LMAO, you have no fuckin idea who he suggested

The Spurs just barely listened to Duncan on giving Parker more money, you think they'll listen to Manu?

Manu mos def wanted Scola come

So...how do you have a "fuckin idea" Manu wanted Scola?

BronxCowboy
07-31-2005, 08:57 AM
It seems to me that with Scola's contract situation, it wouldn't really matter much who Manu suggested. There was no way that Scola was coming this year.

picnroll
07-31-2005, 09:25 AM
pop believes scola is a superstar and probably deserves to have his "own" team really.

wtf. I remember Pop in one of his radio shows last season saying Scola was "a skilled player. Too bad he's not more athletic." Hardly sounds like op describing a superstar. Scola's urban legend grows and grows.

clubalien
07-31-2005, 10:11 AM
if pop belives scola is a SUPERSTAR then there is another reason to fire pop

picnroll
07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
You're comparing Scola's athletecism as being in the range of Barkley's?