PDA

View Full Version : OK State University Report from SI

ace3g
09-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Chuck Carlton @ChuckCarltonDMN
(http://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN)Sports Illustrated email indicates first story in a five-part investigative series on Oklahoma State football breaking Tuesday.

(http://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN)SI says Oklahoma St series will report direct payments to players, academic misconduct, drug use and sex with recruiting hostesses.

DesignatedT
09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
drug use and sex with recruiting hostesses.

:wow

ace3g
09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
This page is going around now

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/orange-pride.html

ChumpDumper
09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
So UTSA wins by forfeit?

Undefeated, baby! http://stepuputsa.com/img/benefits-head.jpg

Blake
09-09-2013, 06:07 PM
(http://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN)Sports Illustrated email indicates first story in a five-part investigative series on Oklahoma State football breaking Tuesday.

(http://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN)SI says Oklahoma St series will report direct payments to players, academic misconduct, drug use and sex with recruiting hostesses.

TBoone making it rain

Clipper Nation
09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Apparently all the shit happened during Les Miles' time as coach, so the statute of limitations has expired..... that being said, why aren't they immediately digging up dirt on LSU?

ChumpDumper
09-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Apparently all the shit happened during Les Miles' time as coach, so the statute of limitations has expired..... that being said, why aren't they immediately digging up dirt on LSU?Where is this statute of limitations?

Never heard of that in the NCAA.

Sisk
09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Where is this statute of limitations?

Never heard of that in the NCAA.

I believe it's 4 years.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I believe it's 4 years.Make one wonder why they would investigate at all then.

Sisk
09-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Make one wonder why they would investigate at all then.

The NCAA rarely does things that make sense.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
The NCAA rarely does things that make sense.Maybe they could just make OSU forfeit the first three quarters of the UTSA game.

Sisk
09-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Maybe they could just make OSU forfeit the first three quarters of the UTSA game.

:lol

DesignatedT
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
“The Dirty Game,” a SPORTS ILLUSTRATED special investigative report that looks into the transformation of a struggling college football program into a national powerhouse, is set to launch tomorrow morning on SI.com. The series is the result of a comprehensive 10-month investigation into the Oklahoma State University football program. It includes independent and on-the-record interviews with more than 60 former OSU football players who played from 2001 to ’10, as well as current and former OSU football staffers.

The findings will be presented in a five-part series across SI’s family of platforms, beginning with Part 1 (money), which launches on SI.com tomorrow at 9 a.m. ET and is this week’s magazine cover story, on newsstands and tablets Wednesday. Additional live coverage can be found on SI Now, SI.com’s live daily talk show (weekdays at 1 p.m. ET) and across SI’s social media outlets.

After 11 losing seasons in 12 years, OSU turned itself into one of the top programs in the nation. Since 2002, OSU has had 10 winnings seasons, earned its first Big 12 title and went to its first BCS Bowl. The report reveals that OSU went to extreme measures to build a winning program, with an increased willingness to cut corners and bend rules. The transgressions began under former coach Les Miles, who was the head coach in Stillwater from 2001 to ’04 and is now the head coach at LSU, and continued under current head coach Mike Gundy, who was promoted from offensive coordinator in 2005.

“We wanted to take a comprehensive look at a big-time program, particularly one that made a rapid ascent,” says Wertheim. “There’s obviously a steady drumbeat of scandal in college sports – improper benefits here; a recruiting violation there – and plenty of rumor and hearsay about the unseemly underbelly. For this piece, we were more about venturing inside the factory and seeing how the sausage is made.”

Parts 2 — 4 of the report continue on SI.com this week and the series culminates in next week’s SI issue and on SI.com. In addition, SI.com will feature videos of former Cowboys talking about their experiences in Stillwater. SI Now will have live coverage and reaction throughout the week. The series will run as follows:

•Part 1: Money (On SI.com Tuesday, 9/10 and in the 9/16/13 SI issue): SI finds that OSU used a bonus system orchestrated by an assistant coach whereby players were paid for their performance on the field, with some stars collecting $500 or more per game. In addition, the report finds that OSU boosters and at least two assistant coaches funneled money to players via direct payments and a system of no-show and sham jobs. Some players say they collected more than $10,000 annually in under-the-table payouts.

•Part 2: Academics (On SI.com Wednesday, 9/11): Widespread academic misconduct, which included tutors and other OSU personnel completing coursework for players, and professors giving passing grades for little or no work, all in the interest of keeping top players eligible.

•Part 3: Drugs (On SI.com Thursday, 9/12): OSU tolerated and at times enabled recreational drug use, primarily through a specious counseling program that allowed some players to continue to use drugs while avoiding penalties. The school’s drug policy was selectively enforced, with some stars going unpunished despite repeated positive tests.

•Part 4: Sex (On SI.com Friday, 9/13): OSU’s hostess program, Orange Pride, figured so prominently in the recruitment of prospects that the group more than tripled in size under Miles. Both Miles and Gundy took the unusual step of personally interviewing candidates. Multiple former players and Orange Pride members say that a small subset of the group had sex with recruits, a violation of NCAA rules.

•Part 5: The Fallout (On SI.com Tuesday, 9/17, and in the 9/23/13 SI issue): SI finds that many players who were no longer useful to the football program were cast aside, returning to worlds they had hoped to escape. Some have been incarcerated, others live on the streets, many have battled drug abuse and a few have attempted suicide.

The Reckoning
09-09-2013, 11:18 PM
"I'm a man! I'm 40! (and packing some hostesses...)."

Trainwreck2100
09-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Make one wonder why they would investigate at all then.

looks like it was an SI investigation

FkLA
09-10-2013, 01:52 AM
"I'll be real honest with you. I know the part that may have involved me. I'm not sure we know it all yet. But we've had tremendous support from administration, from the people behind the scenes who have looked at this and researched it. …I'm going to guess that once we get all the information and we see what's out there, then our administration and the people inside will look at it and we'll see where we made mistakes and we'll try to make ourselves better and we'll correct it and then we'll move forward. And I would hope that there will be some of it that we look at and say I'm not sure one way or the other based on what's out there."

Damn, I wonder if Gundy gets fired over this. :wow

lebomb
09-10-2013, 10:44 AM
He should............busted big time.

Blake
09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
In separate interviews seven other former Cowboys told SI they received cash payments; 29 other OSU players were named by teammates as having also taken money. Those payments, which stretched from 2001 to at least ’11, were primarily delivered three ways: a de facto bonus system based on performances on the field, managed by an assistant coach; direct payments to players from boosters and coaches independent of performance; and no-show and sham jobs — including work related to the renovation of Boone Pickens Stadium — that involved at least one assistant coach and several boosters. “They figure if a player shines and you pat him on the back in an obtainable way, he’s going to do whatever he can to keep getting that paper,” says Javius Townsend, a redshirt offensive lineman during the 2010 season, who says he did not take payments but knew of others who did.

http://m.si.com/3359598/si-ex-okla-st-players-admit-accepting-money/

tlongII
09-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Okie State should be in the SEC.

symple19
09-11-2013, 10:23 PM

By that logic, so should Oregon :lol

leemajors
09-11-2013, 10:28 PM
I forget whether Les already got in trouble for Okie Lite or not.

FkLA
09-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Sounds like a lot of it could be BS tbh. They say they talked to over 60 players but only have quotes from like 6, two of which came out yesterday and said they were misquoted. The other four never graduated and are currently in prison or struggling with drugs. Two dead guys that cant confirm or deny the allegations were also brought up.

symple19
09-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a lot of it could be BS tbh. They say they talked to over 60 players but only have quotes from like 6, two of which came out yesterday and said they were misquoted. The other four never graduated and are currently in prison or struggling with drugs. Two dead guys that cant confirm or deny the allegations were also brought up.

Sounds very similar to the Auburn situation. No hard evidence like the bombs Yahoo just dropped on Bama

FkLA
09-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Just read the Yahoo report. Luther Davis was playing all those agents/advisers. :lol

How does this affect Bama tbh ?

Michael Jordan.
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Then they would be guaranteed to get away with it

Spursfan092120
09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
This page is going around now

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/orange-pride.html
Wow..that's doing everything but spelling it out.

FkLA
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Wow..that's doing everything but spelling it out.

:lol no it doesnt. Some chicks are into sports and want to be close to athletes just like any other fan does. Im sure some take it alittle further and engage in sex but I really doubt thats the intended purpose of that group.

Spursfan092120
09-12-2013, 04:57 PM
:lol no it doesnt. Some chicks are into sports and want to be close to athletes just like any other fan does. Im sure some take it alittle further and engage in sex but I really doubt thats the intended purpose of that group.
I'm not necessarily talking about sex...I'm talking about money...I'm talking about recruits profiting for going to Okie State.

FkLA
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Do a quick google search of your own. The 'sources' are shady at best, and two of them have already said they were grossly misquoted. Not saying Ok State is completely clean but some of the shit theyre trying to throw out there is kinda ridiculous.