PDA

View Full Version : James Nunnally to work out for Spurs

Bruno
09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
As NBA training camp grows nearer, the time is running out for even some of the more notable D-League alumni to snag camp invites, let alone any partially guaranteed deals. Such difficulty is driving many of those same players overseas.

Not James Nunnally, though. At least not yet, anyway. The swingman spent this past season with the Bakersfield Jam, averaging 10.3 points (on 43% from the field and 41% from deep) and 3 rebounds through 49 contests. Working his way up from starting out as a lesser-known rookie, Nunnally emerged as sixth man of the Jam by the time the postseason rolled around.

As he heads into the sophomore campaign of his professional career, Nunnally has his sights set on catching on with an NBA team. A source has confirmed to RidiculousUpside.com that the UC Santa Barbara alum will work out for the Spurs on Tuesday.

Read more:
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/9/10/4714986/source-james-nunnally-to-work-out-for-spurs-other-nba-teams

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 11:41 AM
He lit up the Toros in February but had his three pointer completely shut down by them in the playoffs.

td4mvp2k
09-10-2013, 03:00 PM
He lit up the Toros in February but had his three pointer completely shut down by them in the playoffs.can he play d?

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Not a standout from what I can remember.

xmas1997
09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
He likes to compare his defense to Bruce Bowen, that he is a lock down player.

benefactor
09-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Camp invite.

xmas1997
09-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Camp invite.

I would like to see it because he prides himself on being the next Bruce Bowen.
If he is even half as good as Bruce IMHO it would help the Spurs.
But he is another guard though.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh, he shot 63% from the arc in summer league.

That'll do .

xmas1997
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Oh, he shot 63% from the arc in summer league.

That'll do .

Yeah, but wasn't that same 3 pt. shooting shut down by the Toros in the D league finals?

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but wasn't that same 3 pt. shooting shut down by the Toros in the D league finals?Was the first round.

He scored like 33 points the game before that. It's not like he would be the focus of the defense in the NBA. He can catch and shoot and run the floor, so I can see the reason for the invite. That's all.

xmas1997
09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Geez, another guard.
Chump, what do you think of his chances with the Spurs?

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Geez, another guard.
Chump, what do you think of his chances with the Spurs?Low. Just seeing if they can get lightning in a bottle like Neal.

More likely he's back to Bakersfield to see if he develops further.

Chinook
09-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Low. Just seeing if they can get lightning in a bottle like Neal.

More likely he's back to Bakersfield to see if he develops further.

Wouldn't the Toros get his rights after he gets cut from the Spurs? I thought that's how it worked in the past.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't the Toros get his rights after he gets cut from the Spurs? I thought that's how it worked in the past.Don't think that applies to D-League vets.

Chinook
09-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Don't think that applies to D-League vets.

Okay. Thanks.

Gagnrath
09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I thought he was a small forward and 6'6" or 6'7". The spurs could use a guy that size as a SF back-up to khawi.

Sean Cagney
09-11-2013, 11:17 PM
How many people are the Spurs going to work out without Signing anyone at all? I hear a new name everyday.

ace3g
09-11-2013, 11:32 PM
How many people are the Spurs going to work out without Signing anyone at all? I hear a new name everyday.

Essentially a good portion of these names will end up on the training camp roster where they will fight for the 15 spot...........and then all get cut by opening day

Gagnrath
09-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Oh around 10, about 6 of them will go to training camp. 1 of them will get signed and go back and forth to the toros, and another one or two might go to the toros.

Sean Cagney
09-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Oh around 10, about 6 of them will go to training camp. 1 of them will get signed and go back and forth to the toros, and another one or two might go to the toros.

In other words this news is just crap as of right now..

Gagnrath
09-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Not really its interesting to find out who your team is interested in and finding out about the guys who will be fighting hard to make the roster in training camp and the preseason games. Also if they impress during this time there is also a good chance that in case of injury depending on position and what else is going on that they get 10 days or call ups during the year.

As far as it being news its valid news but is it likely to amount to much? Not exactly.

racm
09-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Best case is that he's the next Danny Green and becomes the backup SF we've all wanted.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Best case is that he's the next Danny Green and becomes the backup SF we've all wanted.

I thought he was a SG, or at best a short SF for his size.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
As NBA training camp grows nearer, the time is running out for even some of the more notable D-League alumni to snag camp invites, let alone any partially guaranteed deals. Such difficulty is driving many of those same players overseas.

Not James Nunnally, though. At least not yet, anyway. The swingman spent this past season with the Bakersfield Jam, averaging 10.3 points (on 43% from the field and 41% from deep) and 3 rebounds through 49 contests. Working his way up from starting out as a lesser-known rookie, Nunnally emerged as sixth man of the Jam by the time the postseason rolled around.

As he heads into the sophomore campaign of his professional career, Nunnally has his sights set on catching on with an NBA team. A source has confirmed to RidiculousUpside.com that the UC Santa Barbara alum will work out for the Spurs on Tuesday.

Read more:
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/9/10/4714986/source-james-nunnally-to-work-out-for-spurs-other-nba-teams

Bruno, have you heard anything on Nunnally since Tuesday?
He might be the perfect backup for Kawhi, someone in the mold of Bruce Bowen, only a little shorter.
Apparently Bruce may be his idol because he likes to compare himself and his play with him.

Bruno
09-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Bruno, have you heard anything on Nunnally since Tuesday?
He might be the perfect backup for Kawhi, someone in the mold of Bruce Bowen, only a little shorter.
Apparently Bruce may be his idol because he likes to compare himself and his play with him.

The latest is that he will work out too for Suns, Jazz and Pelicans.:
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/9/11/4718770/source-james-nunnally-will-work-out-for-suns-and-pelicans-too

Spurs usually don't communicate on their training camp invites until the last minute. Last year, they even said nothing before the training camp media day. This year media day is on September 30th for Spurs. With 14 players under contract, Spurs can add up to 6 players for training camp. Up to 3 of these 6 players might be picked up to end up with the Toros. As said before, Nunnaly can't be one of these 3 players because his D-League rights are owned by another D-League team.

SpursDynasty21
09-12-2013, 06:39 PM
This seems like it would be a good move for the Spurs. I hope they can find a good fit for the team to use the last roster spot on.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
He is my favorite to make the team.
And as someone so aptly put it, the Spurs are hoping for lightning in a bottle.
Bruce Bowen II. One can only hope.

exstatic
09-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Do you even really follow the Spurs? They won't truly commit that 15th roster spot until player buyouts in March. Until then, it may be someone on a non-guaranteed contract out of camp who will likely be cut by the guarantee date, followed by some d-league callups. The Spurs have their playable roster right now. Unless someone who is a good fit is bought out in March, they have their rotation already, and anyone in the 15th spot will see a lot of time in a suit and minimal active games, let alone minutes.

Sean Cagney
09-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Do you even really follow the Spurs? They won't truly commit that 15th roster spot until player buyouts in March. Until then, it may be someone on a non-guaranteed contract out of camp who will likely be cut by the guarantee date, followed by some d-league callups. The Spurs have their playable roster right now. Unless someone who is a good fit is bought out in March, they have their rotation already, and anyone in the 15th spot will see a lot of time in a suit and minimal active games, let alone minutes.

No I don't even follow the Spurs, I am just here for years for the hell of it :lol:rollin. I know what they will do, just get sick of the Spurs working out or looking at threads so I have to laugh some. I know what you mean though, that is exactly what will happen, peace.

exstatic
09-13-2013, 08:27 PM
No I don't even follow the Spurs, I am just here for years for the hell of it :lol:rollin. I know what they will do, just get sick of the Spurs working out or looking at threads so I have to laugh some. I know what you mean though, that is exactly what will happen, peace.

:lol So, if you know what they do, why do you get so cranky when the DO it? :lol

Sean Cagney
09-13-2013, 08:54 PM
:lol So, if you know what they do, why do you get so cranky when the DO it? :lol

I don't know man, hoping one year it would change! I guess they win enough so what they do seems to work ;). You always want the sexy pick but the Spurs seem to do things right alot so I guess I can't get upset.

xmas1997
09-13-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't know man, hoping one year it would change! I guess they win enough so what they do seems to work ;). You always want the sexy pick but the Spurs seem to do things right alot so I guess I can't get upset.

Fwiw there are many on here who share the way you feel.
I do hope Nunnally comes to camp here.
In some ways he reminds me of Green.

Sean Cagney
09-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Fwiw there are many on here who share the way you feel.
I do hope Nunnally comes to camp here.
In some ways he reminds me of Green.

That would be a positive thing then!!!!!! If he reminds you of Green that is not a bad thing!

xmas1997
09-14-2013, 04:52 PM
That would be a positive thing then!!!!!! If he reminds you of Green that is not a bad thing!

True, but he is still D League fodder. He needs to take the next big step to show he belongs with the big boys, the NBA.
I haven't heard yet the results of his other workouts or whether he is coming to camp here.

Sean Cagney
09-14-2013, 09:47 PM
True, but he is still D League fodder. He needs to take the next big step to show he belongs with the big boys, the NBA.
I haven't heard yet the results of his other workouts or whether he is coming to camp here.Who knows, they are working out guys every single day it seems with no word after they do it.

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Who knows, they are working out guys every single day it seems with no word after they do it.

Was it you who commented that with Nunnally maybe they were looking for lightning in a bottle?
If so, great observation!

He is 6' 6-7" and is considered a SF, he was also one of the pleasant surprises when he played for the Heats summer league team.

exstatic
09-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Was it you who commented that with Nunnally maybe they were looking for lightning in a bottle?

He is 6' 6-7" and is considered a SF, he was also one of the pleasant surprises when he played for the Heats summer league team.

DX lists him at 6'5".

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 07:33 PM
DX lists him at 6'5".

I don't doubt that.

Sean Cagney
09-15-2013, 08:04 PM

I did not say that, someone else did. I don't really know much about the guy.

xmas1997
09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
I think it is highly doubtful that the Spurs fill that last spot with anyone if their past seasons are any indication. They usually have one ten day player after another throughout the season.
But if this guy goes to their camp, IMHO he just might end up on their team, if and only if he shows that Bruce Bowen type defensive intensity and 3pt shooting, that he prides himself on.

lmbebo
09-16-2013, 09:09 AM
I think they fill the last spot with a non or partially guaranteed contract.

Bruno
09-16-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/9/16/4737602/memphis-grizzlies-extend-invite-to-james-nunnally-for-nba-training

The Memphis Grizzlies, who plucked Springfield Armor big man Willie Reed from the NBADL late last season, are looking to uncover yet another gem. The team has extended a training camp invite out to Nunnally.

So, to sum up, Nunnaly has worked out Spurs and Suns, he will still work out for teams like Jazz and Pelicans and he has already received one training camp invite by Memphis.

xmas1997
09-16-2013, 06:28 PM
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/9/16/4737602/memphis-grizzlies-extend-invite-to-james-nunnally-for-nba-trainingSo, to sum up, Nunnaly has worked out Spurs and Suns, he will still work out for teams like Jazz and Pelicans and he has already received one training camp invite by Memphis.

But the question is, will the Spurs invite him to training camp?
I suppose it is not known yet.
And maybe won't be known until the 30th.

exstatic
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I think they fill the last spot with a non or partially guaranteed contract.

They do this sometimes, and it could be Nunnally. That player rarely lasts past the guarantee date, though. After that, they go with 10 or 20 day tryouts.