PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com Offseason Report Card

ace3g
09-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Don't recall this being posted

http://www.nba.com/reportcard/offseason/2013/spurs

Skull-1
09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Sounds about right. Leonard, Green, and Splitter need to step up big.

xmas1997
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
"A"
That sounds right to me.
I didn't know that Manu was still recovering from injuries though, that was news to me, and explains a lot.

wildbill2u
09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
SA is one of two teams to get an overall "A" rating, the other being Miami. Three teams got an "A-" and Clippers were the only Western Conference team. Western Conference B+ Teams were Oklahoma, Houston and Memphis.

Nice to get some recognition on a national basis that the Spurs are still a formidable foe.

SpurPadre
09-11-2013, 05:14 PM
They didn't factor the Heat getting Beasley and regardless of how one may feel about the guy, him off an already loaded bench can't hurt them. How the hell do they keep getting away with signing players left and right? I thought they maxxed out once they got that front-running cripple Oden.

DMC
09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
"The biggest question coming out of the Spurs' run to the NBA Finals was whether there would be any thought given to letting go of 36-year-old veteran Manu Ginobili after an injury-plagued and inconsistent season. Ginobili himself even raised the possibility of retirement during his playoff struggles. But the answer came quickly as the club signed the Argentine whiz for two more years, meaning that's how long you'll get to see the greatest trio of the past 20 years."

I wonder why they think he had playoff struggles when he contributed to 22% of the scoring!!!???!!?

baseline bum
09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
"The biggest question coming out of the Spurs' run to the NBA Finals was whether there would be any thought given to letting go of 36-year-old veteran Manu Ginobili after an injury-plagued and inconsistent season. Ginobili himself even raised the possibility of retirement during his playoff struggles. But the answer came quickly as the club signed the Argentine whiz for two more years, meaning that's how long you'll get to see the greatest trio of the past 20 years."

I wonder why they think he had playoff struggles when he contributed to 22% of the scoring!!!???!!?

And 23% of the turnovers in the Finals.

Skull-1
09-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Ouch.

DMC
09-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Yabut he's being misrepresented as having had a bad post season!!! If you carry the 2 and then divide the turnovers by the square root of his missed shots, you'd get a number that has no bearing on this conversation. Let's use that one.

Skull-1
09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Yabut he's being misrepresented as having had a bad post season!!! If you carry the 2 and then divide the turnovers by the square root of his missed shots, you'd get a number that has no bearing on this conversation. Let's use that one.

ROTFLMAO!

That AIM-9 just hit cd021 in the tailpipe! Boom!

DMC
09-11-2013, 06:27 PM
ROTFLMAO!

That AIM-9 just hit cd021 in the tailpipe! Boom!

Fox 1

Vash StampedE
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
The "Leonard blossoming into an All Star next season" part made me blush.

barakz21
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
To be fair, Manu's playoffs indeed were terrible. Of course, by his standards. We all know he was, and is capable of so much more.

look_at_g_shred
09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
To be fair, Manu's playoffs indeed were terrible. Of course, by his standards. We all know he did, and is capable of so much more.

Well said man. I don't even think RJ was trashed this much. Ginobili, barring injury, will have a better season this year.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Well said man. I don't even think RJ was trashed this much. Ginobili, barring injury, will have a better season this year.

I agree with this. Great players don't just get terrible overnight, so he should be better, but the days of being an all star are probably behind him, unless we are extremely lucky.

Skull-1
09-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I agree with this. Great players don't just get terrible overnight, so he should be better, but the days of being an all star are probably behind him, unless we are extremely lucky.

I disagree. We have seen tons of players in every sport fade overnight. It can and does happen.

barakz21
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM

Thank you, kind sir. :toast

Otoh, it's pretty sad to think that Manu at his worst was still better than RJ. :rollin

SpurPadre
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Well, of course, had he made that free throw in Game 6, no Spurs fan would be bashing him now. Then again, Kawhi missed a game-deciding free throw too in that game and he's getting a pass for it because he's young and on the verge of breaking out into an All-Star. Point is, Manu's done more than enough to merit more respect no matter how he does from here on out as the HOF he will be in the near future.

Skull-1
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Well, of course, had he made that free throw in Game 6, no Spurs fan would be bashing him now. Then again, Kawhi missed a game-deciding free throw too in that game and he's getting a pass for it because he's young and on the verge of breaking out into an All-Star. Point is, Manu's done more than enough to merit more respect no matter how he does from here on out as the HOF he will be in the near future.

Manu missed his first. And missed one before it. Leonard was a beast in that game, Manu was a scrub. What part of that do you fail to understand?

ace3g
09-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Manu missed his first. And missed one before it. Leonard was a beast in that game, Manu was a scrub. What part of that do you fail to understand?

00:58.0
Team Timeout : Regular

00:39.9
James Turnover : Lost Ball (4 TO) Steal:Leonard (3 ST)

00:37.2
Allen Foul: Shooting (3 PF) (2 FTA)

Ginobili Free Throw 1 of 2 (7 PTS)
[SAS 92-89]

Ginobili Free Throw 2 of 2 (8 PTS)
[SAS 93-89]

00:28.2
James Turnover : Bad Pass (5 TO) Steal:Ginobili (1 ST)

Allen Foul: Personal (4 PF) (2 FTA)

Ginobili Free Throw 1 of 2 Missed

Team Rebound

Ginobili Free Throw 2 of 2 (9 PTS)
[SAS 94-89]

Team Timeout : Short

Bosh Substitution replaced by Miller

Duncan Substitution replaced by Diaw

00:23.9
James 3pt Shot: Missed

00:22.9
Miller Rebound (Off:1 Def:6)

00:20.1
[MIA 92-94]
James 3pt Shot: Made (30 PTS) Assist: Miller (2 AST)

Diaw Substitution replaced by Duncan

00:19.4
Miller Foul: Personal (5 PF) (2 FTA)

Leonard Free Throw 1 of 2 Missed

Team Rebound

Miller Substitution replaced by Bosh

Leonard Free Throw 2 of 2 (18 PTS)
[SAS 95-92]

00:07.9

00:06.3
Bosh Rebound (Off:3 Def:8)

00:05.2
[MIA 95-95]
Allen 3pt Shot: Made (5 PTS) Assist: Bosh (2 AST)

Parker Fadeaway Jump Shot: Missed
00:00.6

Team Rebound
00:00.0

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Spurs as a team lost, Heat as a team won!
End of story.

spurs10
09-12-2013, 08:58 PM

I wonder why they think he had playoff struggles when he contributed to 22% of the scoring!!!???!!? Great writeup, thanks for posting. I'm seriously wondering what all the Manu bashers are going to do for the next two years. Do you just watch the games to bitch and moan. Sounds like a real drag for you. Yes it's doubtful he will play 82 games, but he will be playing. If you, however illogical it is, squarely put the blame for losing the championship on him, why watch? I'm a big fan of the Spurs, and Manu, and can't wait to see them play again. Why in the world watch them when Pop, RC, and everyone else responsible for the team's lineup clearly, to the tune of $14 million, disagree with you? I realize many of still love the Manu of yesterday, but that's not who they spent their money on. Why would you watch a team that you're so much smarter than?

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Just a bunch of high and grade school crybabies looking for a scapegoat.

spurs10
09-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Just a bunch of high and grade school crybabies looking for a scapegoat. Perhaps, but why keep following them after they resigned Manu to millions of dollars?

Skull-1
09-12-2013, 09:19 PM
00:58.0

00:39.9
James Turnover : Lost Ball (4 TO) Steal:Leonard (3 ST)

Allen Foul: Shooting (3 PF) (2 FTA)

Ginobili Free Throw 1 of 2 (7 PTS)
[SAS 92-89]

Ginobili Free Throw 2 of 2 (8 PTS)
[SAS 93-89]

James Turnover : Bad Pass (5 TO) Steal:Ginobili (1 ST)

Allen Foul: Personal (4 PF) (2 FTA)

Ginobili Free Throw 1 of 2 Missed

Team Rebound

Ginobili Free Throw 2 of 2 (9 PTS)
[SAS 94-89]

Team Timeout : Short

Bosh Substitution replaced by Miller

00:23.9

00:22.9
Miller Rebound (Off:1 Def:6)

[MIA 92-94]
James 3pt Shot: Made (30 PTS) Assist: Miller (2 AST)

Miller Foul: Personal (5 PF) (2 FTA)

Leonard Free Throw 1 of 2 Missed

Team Rebound

Miller Substitution replaced by Bosh

Leonard Free Throw 2 of 2 (18 PTS)
[SAS 95-92]

00:07.9

00:06.3
Bosh Rebound (Off:3 Def:8)

[MIA 95-95]
Allen 3pt Shot: Made (5 PTS) Assist: Bosh (2 AST)

Parker Fadeaway Jump Shot: Missed
00:00.6

Team Rebound
00:00.0

There ya' go. Manu missed two FTs that game. Make either one and we win. Both were before Leonard's miss. And as I said, without Leonard we would have lost by 20.

diego
09-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Manu also had 23% of the teams assists.
Tony lead with 35%. Next were tim and diaw with 10% each.
Leonard, who most people expect to supplant manu, had 5%.
Cory joseph had 5% of the assists and 6% of the TO

Tim had 19% of the TO, tony 18%, diaw 6% and leonard 8%. If you include blocked attempts (which manu didnt have any) that goes to 27%, 26%, 7% and 13% respectively. I know that not every blocked shot is a TO, but sometimes it shows over agression (which manu didnt display in this series probably for worse) and results in the same things .

And of course, tim and tony played much much much better than manu. Im just showing that manu's TO came because he was one of the few spurs initiating the offense, and he wasnt a complete failure in that.

You know whats more interesting?
The heat had 148 assists to 83 TO, and the spurs 129 to 85. Could it possibly be that the reason the spurs lost was because we didnt have the playmaking they did- in part because we had a practical rookie as our back up PG for barely over a month heading into the finals, and in part because they knew they just had to trap the 35 year old to shut down half our offense? Manu got exposed for being old. Its the same thing that happened to duncan when he had to go against randolph and gasol by himself at age 34. With a little help he can still be useful, good even. Im not sure if leonard is capable of being a playmaker but if he can be more of a scorer and joseph or beli can provide some playmaking that might be enough.

let me add- the spurs playoff averages extrapolated to 7 games had them at 153 ast to 90 TO, the heat at 144 to 92. So they got a few less assists vs us then against other teams, and less turnovers. The spurs on the other hand dropped in assists dramatically and also had less turnovers than the rest of the PO. pace probably explains the overall drop. but the spurs drop in assists is much bigger than the rest. so what was the problem- turnovers or inability to move the ball? Manu has an important responsiblity there but its not a one man job and the other teams defense plays a large part of the story.

baseline bum
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Also Manu missed a free throw that would have iced the title in Game 6.

Perry Mason
09-12-2013, 10:43 PM
There ya' go. Manu missed two FTs that game. Make either one and we win. Both were before Leonard's miss. And as I said, without Leonard we would have lost by 20.

Without Manu you wouldn't be in the finals.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Manu also had 23% of the teams assists.
Tony lead with 35%. Next were tim and diaw with 10% each.
Leonard, who most people expect to supplant manu, had 5%.
Cory joseph had 5% of the assists and 6% of the TO

Tim had 19% of the TO, tony 18%, diaw 6% and leonard 8%. If you include blocked attempts (which manu didnt have any) that goes to 27%, 26%, 7% and 13% respectively. I know that not every blocked shot is a TO, but sometimes it shows over agression (which manu didnt display in this series probably for worse) and results in the same things .

And of course, tim and tony played much much much better than manu. Im just showing that manu's TO came because he was one of the few spurs initiating the offense, and he wasnt a complete failure in that.

You know whats more interesting?
The heat had 148 assists to 83 TO, and the spurs 129 to 85. Could it possibly be that the reason the spurs lost was because we didnt have the playmaking they did- in part because we had a practical rookie as our back up PG for barely over a month heading into the finals, and in part because they knew they just had to trap the 35 year old to shut down half our offense? Manu got exposed for being old. Its the same thing that happened to duncan when he had to go against randolph and gasol by himself at age 34. With a little help he can still be useful, good even. Im not sure if leonard is capable of being a playmaker but if he can be more of a scorer and joseph or beli can provide some playmaking that might be enough.

let me add- the spurs playoff averages extrapolated to 7 games had them at 153 ast to 90 TO, the heat at 144 to 92. So they got a few less assists vs us then against other teams, and less turnovers. The spurs on the other hand dropped in assists dramatically and also had less turnovers than the rest of the PO. pace probably explains the overall drop. but the spurs drop in assists is much bigger than the rest. so what was the problem- turnovers or inability to move the ball? Manu has an important responsiblity there but its not a one man job and the other teams defense plays a large part of the story.

Wow, very interesting, and very astute.
Thank you for going to the trouble to educate us.
But I doubt it will convince those who ignorantly persist in making Manu the scapegoat.

Skull-1
09-12-2013, 10:51 PM

What's the point of getting to the Finals just to lose?

Complete waste.

Skull-1
09-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Also Manu missed a free throw that would have iced the title in Game 6.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 10:54 PM
The Spurs have won four out of five, and if you include the Washington Bullets series then it is four out of six.
That is pretty damn good. Most teams would give everything to be in that position.
And most fans would appreciate it.

DMC
09-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Great writeup, thanks for posting. I'm seriously wondering what all the Manu bashers are going to do for the next two years. Do you just watch the games to bitch and moan. Sounds like a real drag for you. Yes it's doubtful he will play 82 games, but he will be playing. If you, however illogical it is, squarely put the blame for losing the championship on him, why watch? I'm a big fan of the Spurs, and Manu, and can't wait to see them play again. Why in the world watch them when Pop, RC, and everyone else responsible for the team's lineup clearly, to the tune of $14 million, disagree with you? I realize many of still love the Manu of yesterday, but that's not who they spent their money on. Why would you watch a team that you're so much smarter than?

You do realize people come here to talk about the team, not just fellate it, right?

Skull-1
09-13-2013, 01:44 AM
You do realize people come here to talk about the team, not just fellate it, right?

:lol :rollin

Sean Cagney
09-13-2013, 02:04 AM
The Spurs have won four out of five, and if you include the Washington Bullets series then it is four out of six.
That is pretty damn good. Most teams would give everything to be in that position.
And most fans would appreciate it.

Spurs lost the ECF to the Bullets, not the Finals so it is not 4 out of 6 in the Finals. ECF that was then, this was the Finals in which they are 4 out of 5 .

spurs10
09-13-2013, 02:04 AM
You do realize people come here to talk about the team, not just fellate it, right?:lol Yeah, but I didn't say anything about criticizing the 'team.' I was talking specifically about blaming one player for losing the championship. I also was asking a question, why would you want to watch said player ruin your life anymore? I'm sure Manu himself is plenty critical of his poor play for that matter. I am literally curious if any of the people who feel that Manu singlehandedly lost Tim his 5th ring would be able to stand to see him play anymore. Don't misunderstand me, game 6 was painful. Manu playing PG was handled well by the Heat.

xmas1997
09-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Spurs lost the ECF to the Bullets, not the Finals so it is not 4 out of 6 in the Finals. ECF that was then, this was the Finals in which they are 4 out of 5 .

Thought I might not be right about that.

Perry Mason
09-13-2013, 09:39 AM
What's the point of getting to the Finals just to lose?

Complete waste.

Is that supposed to be an argument. Most fans would take finals + loss over no finals and a loss in an earlier round any given season.

Again, without Manu there is no finals. You wouldn't have anything to bitch about over and over on this site, so you should thank Manu for filling some disordered void in your life.

Spurs were a freethrow away from a title. There was a shot against a team that, talent-wise and hype-wise, Spurs had no business playing to parity.

You can't just trash Manu and insert some other player and expect a return to the finals. In fact that is incredibly unrealistic.

xmas1997
09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Is that supposed to be an argument. Most fans would take finals + loss over no finals and a loss in an earlier round any given season.

Again, without Manu there is no finals. You wouldn't have anything to bitch about over and over on this site, so you should thank Manu for filling some disordered void in your life.

Spurs were a freethrow away from a title. There was a shot against a team that, talent-wise and hype-wise, Spurs had no business playing to parity.

You can't just trash Manu and insert some other player and expect a return to the finals. In fact that is incredibly unrealistic.

You have hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head.
Thank you. I've been trying, to no avail, to illuminate this fact to all the Manu and Pop blamers all along, but either they are too irrational or too ignorant or just want a scapegoat, to see the true facts of the matter.
I finally came to what is most likely an erroneous conclusion that they were trolling trying to get under people's skins.
I prefer to see Spur fans as having a higher degree of class than other fans, but the reality is that all teams contain a certain amount of classless, ignorant, narrow minded, self righteous, childish idiotic fans. It's the nature of the game.
:lol

Spur|n|Austin
09-13-2013, 10:51 AM

His mind doesn't grasp things like this, people have tried to explain already. He's just trolling so pay no attention.

Johnny RIngo
09-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Manu got exposed for being old. Its the same thing that happened to duncan when he had to go against randolph and gasol by himself at age 34.

Not even similar at all. TD went into that playoffs injured(ankle sprain). He came back playing like an all-star and humiliated Zbo/Gasol two years later. Ginobili won't even be able to put up Danny Green numbers two years from now.

Skull-1
09-13-2013, 11:36 AM

There are probably a dozen or more players in the league we could put in Manu's place and not only make the Finals, but actually win.

Manu's brain goes TILT! under pressure repeatedly. There are plenty of other guys who don't go TILT! and are better players than Manu is now...

Skull-1
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
His mind doesn't grasp things like this, people have tried to explain already. He's just trolling so pay no attention.

You guys SERIOUSLY think we couldn't do better than Manu with that huge contract of his last season? He wasn't even our fifth best player in the Finals....if not the entire playoffs. I would put Green and Leonard ahead of him for certain, any way.

DMC
09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
:lol Yeah, but I didn't say anything about criticizing the 'team.' I was talking specifically about blaming one player for losing the championship. I also was asking a question, why would you want to watch said player ruin your life anymore? I'm sure Manu himself is plenty critical of his poor play for that matter. I am literally curious if any of the people who feel that Manu singlehandedly lost Tim his 5th ring would be able to stand to see him play anymore. Don't misunderstand me, game 6 was painful. Manu playing PG was handled well by the Heat.

The facts are the facts. My life isn't ruined because a bunch of millionaires didn't score more than another bunch of millionaires in a basketball game.

baseline bum
09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
But Manu also turned the ball over in OT Game 6 only down 1 with 2.4 seconds left tbh.

xmas1997
09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
The facts are the facts. My life isn't ruined because a bunch of millionaires didn't score more than another bunch of millionaires in a basketball game.

You have an excellent way of putting it all in proper perspective! :lol
I applaud you, DMC.

ohmwrecker
09-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Stop fucking nitpicking over every turnover, missed free throw, rebound, etc. . . . get the fuck over it.

spurs10
09-13-2013, 04:25 PM
The facts are the facts. My life isn't ruined because a bunch of millionaires didn't score more than another bunch of millionaires in a basketball game.Agreed! Certainly appreciate discussing the facts, the team, their future, and past successes and failures. Sorry if I eluded to your life being 'ruined' by a basketball play. Never heard you say any such thing. Blaming one player or one play solely for the outcome of season is obviously nuts. I'm looking forward to the new season very much. :flag:

xmas1997
09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Agreed! Certainly appreciate discussing the facts, the team, their future, and past successes and failures. Sorry if I eluded to your life being 'ruined' by a basketball play. Never heard you say any such thing. Blaming one player or one play solely for the outcome of season is obviously nuts. I'm looking forward to the new season very much. :flag:

As am I.
I agree.

Biggems
09-14-2013, 10:58 PM
one thing that would have helped our grade and hurt miami's grade would have been if we would have gotten James Ennis in the draft day trade with Atlanta. But the heat got him, and he looks like a very good young player.

TrainOfThought5
09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Without Manu you wouldn't be in the finals....... highly debatable.

Shastafarian
09-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Stop fucking nitpicking over every turnover, missed free throw, rebound, etc. . . . get the fuck over it.

:tu

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Man, I couldn't put it better myself!

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
...... highly debatable.

Agreed.

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 12:05 PM

...... highly debatable.

Agreed.

Skull has no mind to grasp anything, that is painfully obvious, even to the casual observer!:lol
But he sure does love to troll, you are dead on about that!

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Skull has no mind to grasp anything, that is painfully obvious, even to the casual observer!:lol
But he sure does love to troll, you are dead on about that!

You "refute" arguments and logic with insults and distractions. Not one original take. Ever.

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
You "refute" arguments and logic with insults and distractions. Not one original take. Ever.

I don't waste my original gems on trolls like you simply because you don't possess the capacity to understand them, sorry!

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't waste my original gems on trolls like you simply because you don't possess the capacity to understand them, sorry!

Still awaiting an actual "take" or even an attempt at a fact.

You have nothing to "waste".

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Still awaiting an actual "take" or even an attempt at a fact.

You have nothing to "waste".

Again, quit following me around!
You're not even a good troll.

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Again, quit following me around!
You're not even a good troll.

The world waits breathlessly for more of your original "takes". "Squawk. Squawk."

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
The world waits breathlessly for more of your original "takes". "Squawk. Squawk."

You just can't get over me poking holes in your spiritual arguments, can you?
That is why you keep following me around.
GTFO.

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 12:34 PM
You just can't get over me poking holes in your spiritual arguments, can you?
That is why you keep following me around.
GTFO.

The only thing you poke holes in is your pillow.

xmas1997
09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
The only thing you poke holes in is your pillow.

See my last post!
Sheesh!