PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about selling my POS car

Jacob1983
09-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Well I have come to the realization that I may soon have to part ways with my car. My car is a 1998 Honda Civic Ex. It has around 211,000 miles and a lot of wear and tear. It needs a good amount of work. I am just trying to figure out how much I can get for it. It still technically runs but is currently in the shop. The check engine light has been coming on and off the past few weeks. With my luck with this car, I have no idea what it could be. I have had the catalytic converter replaced 3 times and I'm sure that probably decreases the value of the car. However, I have a theory that something such as a cord or cable might be loose and that's what causing the check engine light to come on. The check engine light will come on and stay on for 2 or 3 days and then go off. Every time it goes off, it feels like the car battery has been reset. I say that because the radio station starts at 87.5 FM and the clock is reset as well. The AC in my car is broken. As soon as you turn it on, it will kill the car. The heater still works which is a plus in the winter. The driver side power window is broken due to the stupidity of Best Buy. It will not go up all the way and I have basically taped it up. The passenger side power window is also broken but not as bad as the driver side and it's mainly due to wear and tear. With both of the windows being broken, the interior of the car has also suffered damage due to air and water. The covering of the steering wheel has started to peel off. The moon/sun roof thankfully still works. I'm trying to think of all things that are wrong with my car. Sorry. It has body damage on the passenger side door. The door was hit a long time ago and rubs up against the metal part that covers the front passenger side tire. I just want to get at least 500 dollars for this piece of shit. 500 is probably the lowest I will go. I know I can't get that much for it because so much of the car is fucked up but I'm desperate.

mouse
09-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Sell your car for parts. Front end 250.00 etc...

Jacob1983
09-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Nope. I won't take less than 500 dollars.

mouse
09-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Well I have come to the realization that My car is 500 dollars for this piece of shit. 500 is probably the lowest I will go..

I read it.......hence the 250.00 for front end comment I posted as a way to maybe get you the 500.00 you so desperately need...did you bet on the Texans again? :lmao

Jacob1983
09-11-2013, 02:51 AM
I figure if I start out very high for the asking price and have some type of sob story that I can convince some poor soul to take this piece of shit off my hands for 500 dollars.

HI-FI
09-11-2013, 02:59 AM
1998 Honda Civic ....great era for Civics. I had a Civic a few years before that, man I miss that car. Would still be driving that thing if not for a drunk POS rear ending me. Least I walked away but my car was totaled, plus being in accidents sucks. Have you tried Craigslist, seems you should find someone to take it off your hands for $500.

mouse
09-11-2013, 03:12 AM
I will give you 25.00 cash if you post a pic of you and your car by 4 AM and I challenge 19 others to do the same also.....do the math.

exstatic
09-11-2013, 07:03 AM
A car with 200K plus miles and no AC? You'll never get $500.

resistanze
09-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Is your Enter key broken?

bus driver
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
put one of those lawn mower mufflers on it and it will raise the price about 200 dollars in this city.

DMC
09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
You probably just need to clean the MAF sensor. It's easy, just remove it, use some contact cleaner and let it dry, reinstall. You can drive it another year and save the cost of a new vehicle. If it's an 02 sensor, you're going to have to buy another.

Spur|n|Austin
09-11-2013, 09:48 AM
You probably just need to clean the MAF sensor. It's easy, just remove it, use some contact cleaner and let it dry, reinstall. You can drive it another year and save the cost of a new vehicle. If it's an 02 sensor, you're going to have to buy another.

What makes you think it's the MAF sensor? I'm sure that's one of the issues, but I doubt that will fix all the problems this car seems to have.

paperboy
09-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I'll give you two dollars.

CubanMustGo
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
My 2007 Civic Hybrid has over 150K and if not for the batteries dying a slow death I'd keep it another 150K.

Monostradamus
09-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Well I have come to the realization that I may soon have to part ways with my car. My car is a 1998 Honda Civic Ex. It has around 211,000 miles and a lot of wear and tear. It needs a good amount of work. I am just trying to figure out how much I can get for it. It still technically runs but is currently in the shop. The check engine light has been coming on and off the past few weeks. With my luck with this car, I have no idea what it could be. I have had the catalytic converter replaced 3 times and I'm sure that probably decreases the value of the car. However, I have a theory that something such as a cord or cable might be loose and that's what causing the check engine light to come on. The check engine light will come on and stay on for 2 or 3 days and then go off. Every time it goes off, it feels like the car battery has been reset. I say that because the radio station starts at 87.5 FM and the clock is reset as well. The AC in my car is broken. As soon as you turn it on, it will kill the car. The heater still works which is a plus in the winter. The driver side power window is broken due to the stupidity of Best Buy. It will not go up all the way and I have basically taped it up. The passenger side power window is also broken but not as bad as the driver side and it's mainly due to wear and tear. With both of the windows being broken, the interior of the car has also suffered damage due to air and water. The covering of the steering wheel has started to peel off. The moon/sun roof thankfully still works. I'm trying to think of all things that are wrong with my car. Sorry. It has body damage on the passenger side door. The door was hit a long time ago and rubs up against the metal part that covers the front passenger side tire. I just want to get at least 500 dollars for this piece of shit. 500 is probably the lowest I will go. I know I can't get that much for it because so much of the car is fucked up but I'm desperate.

You're one of the few things that still keeps me here, Jacob.

I. Hustle
09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Why would you sell it? Have you even tried putting some dope rims and a sound system in it? That should be all that you need. Also, since it is a Civic you should add some neon lights... prolly blue. That will fix it right up.

Rogue
09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I'd buy that shit for 500 dollars if I lived in Dallas, not like I'm gonna need a car as broken as that one but it sounds like a bargain to buy even a ton of iron for only 500 dollars, which's only worth a handjob in Dallas imho.

DMC
09-11-2013, 05:55 PM
What makes you think it's the MAF sensor? I'm sure that's one of the issues, but I doubt that will fix all the problems this car seems to have.

It either has a MAF or a MAP. Either one can be faulty. O2 sensors can also be faulty. Chaffed engine wiring harness can lead to false flags from either sensor. Pull engine codes, simple fixes.

Could also have a poor chassis ground at the neg terminal of the battery. That could cause a low voltage condition during AC running (probably MAP sensor though).

If the car ran better, the rest of the issues are mostly cosmetic and annoyances.

Technique
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
1998 civic, I wish that fate on nobody

skut_farkus
09-11-2013, 10:30 PM
You in dfw area Jacob? Might be able to sell it

Jacob1983
09-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm either going to sell it or junk it. Sadly, I'm not an expert on cars but with the bad luck I've had with this POS, I know a limited amount about this car. I don't think 500 dollars is too much. Besides, if I junk it for parts, I definitely think I could get at least 500 dollars. Someone on this planet has to want the engine of a POS car. And let's not forget about tires, sparkplugs, belts, brakes, muffler, gas cap, the fuel in the car, the CD system in the car that I got at Circuit City(yes I know), the windshield wipers, the doors of the car, the windows of the car, the computer parts of the car, the catalytic converter(a possibly broken catalytic converter has to be worth at least 5 to 10 dollars) etc... I know it's a piece of shite but all of that crap has to be worth at least 500 dollars.

skut_farkus
09-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm either going to sell it or junk it. Sadly, I'm not an expert on cars but with the bad luck I've had with this POS, I know a limited amount about this car. I don't think 500 dollars is too much. Besides, if I junk it for parts, I definitely think I could get at least 500 dollars. Someone on this planet has to want the engine of a POS car. And let's not forget about tires, sparkplugs, belts, brakes, muffler, gas cap, the fuel in the car, the CD system in the car that I got at Circuit City(yes I know), the windshield wipers, the doors of the car, the windows of the car, the computer parts of the car, the catalytic converter(a possibly broken catalytic converter has to be worth at least 5 to 10 dollars) etc... I know it's a piece of shite but all of that crap has to be worth at least 500 dollars.

My friend needs a car has cash!

Wild Cobra
09-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Donate it.

I know this mechanic in Gresham, OR that takes old fixer-uppers, repairs them at his cost, then gives them to his church for people needing transportation. I've been keeping an old '98 Contour for driving in the snow and ice. Can't drive my WS6 in those conditions. When I replace the sedan, I'm just going to give it to him. I'm sure he will find a good home for it. Not worth the time for me to get any money for it... Time is money...

Jacob1983
09-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I am still waiting the diagnosis from the mechanic that usually works on my POS car. Once I get the diagnosis, I start thinking about what to do. I'm assuming the worst and that this is probably the end of the line. Neglect is the main cause of probably 90 percent of what's wrong with my car. The AC went out 2 years ago but it was mainly because I couldn't afford to get it fixed. Since I didn't get it fixed, the problem got worse and the AC basically went out. Before it went out, it would work but only if the car was in drive and not idle. The epic fail by the lovely people of Best Buy was also neglect. I could have gotten that fixed a long time ago but it would take 400 to 500 dollars to fix it. If I had gotten the window fixed, the interior of the car would probably be in great shape. In my family, getting by and making do with what you have are the norm. It's sad but that's how we roll. And we are terrible with money management. It's genetic.

PlayNando
09-12-2013, 12:46 AM
gringo cars suk

jap cars = pos

peugeots are the bombs though tbh

fuk fiats

CITROEN is da bomb too

DJ Mbenga
09-12-2013, 12:49 AM
in cali all you need is for it to fail the smog check, then sell it to the state for a $1,000 check. they trash it it to the junk yard.

Jacob1983
09-12-2013, 01:00 AM
I hate emissions inspection tests. They're basically a scam in my opinion. 30 years ago, I wouldn't be required to have a useless catalytic converter because it helps the precious environment. Fuck the environment.

FatBeaner
09-12-2013, 09:35 AM
tBSxsfl-p8E

Jacob1983
09-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Well, I finally got the car back and it was just as I predicted. It has a really bad oil leak and I was told it would cost at least 900 dollars to fix. The mechanic said I could still drive it but I would have to basically check the oil daily and keep it close to full on oil if I want to drive it and not have it fuck up again. This is the end for this car. I'm going to probably junk it either in a couple of months or in the spring when I get my tax refund from Uncle Sam. I'm not putting anymore money into this piece of shit. Good riddance. Someone else can be cursed with this car.

Chief Brody
09-21-2013, 08:39 PM
1998 Honda Civic ....great era for Civics. I had a Civic a few years before that, man I miss that car. Would still be driving that thing if not for a drunk POS rear ending me. Least I walked away but my car was totaled, plus being in accidents sucks. Have you tried Craigslist, seems you should find someone to take it off your hands for $500.
:tu
I had a '97 silver Civic LX in 2001-2002. Of course, everybody in Miami has owned a Civic at one point or another though. I beat the fuck out of that car and it never quit on me.

leemajors
09-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Why don't you just donate and claim it on your taxes?

DMC
09-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Why don't you just donate and claim it on your taxes?

He works at Target. It wouldn't overcome the standard deduction so it would be useless.

m>s
09-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Been working on my car for weeks and to the point i'm just about to trade it in and get another also. Spend about 400 bucks so far on trial and error with parts. Changed the purge solenoid, egr valve, pcv valve, the only other 2 options left to go are the vent solenoid and the fuel tank pressure sensor which are n!ggerly hard to get to. Gotta lower the whole gas tank and remove the exhaust and rear axle to get to it, ought to be a fucking blast.

Jacob1983
09-26-2013, 03:23 AM
I still think it can be driven just not on a daily basis and not in long distances. I could probably drive 2 or 3 times a week but just in the shitty town that I live in, probably not good to leave the city limits.

Spur|n|Austin
09-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Jacob you must have signed a deal with the devil as a child to get a sweet power ranger toy or something because your life is shit now.

Rogue
09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
I suppose you bought the car as a used one in the first place. Used cars may look cheaper when you bought them but more often than not they'd probably end up costing you more $. I think you many as well cash-in on that piece of shit, or simply get rid of that shit because it probably ain't worth a full-tank of fuel now tbh. Buy a motorcycle if you can't afford a four-wheel vehicle at the time.

Jacob1983
09-26-2013, 12:37 PM
I hadn't even thought about getting a motorcycle. I've heard motorcycles get great gas mileage but are very dangerous. I'm not sure if I'd want to have a high risk of getting a brain injury, spinal injury, or both. You are right about my car. I need to part ways with it. It's not worth putting anymore money into that piece of shit car. To the person that mentioned signing a deal with the devil, I never really liked Power Rangers but I do believe in curses. I consider myself somewhere between being an superstitious agnostic or an agnostic non practicing protestant. I would say I'm more superstitious than religious or spiritual. I definitely believe in curses, bad luck, and karma. I also believe that there is a curse on my piece of shit car.