PDA

View Full Version : Trade in the works for Luol Deng?

mute
09-12-2013, 02:24 AM
I have sources (within the Bulls organization) that tell me that the Bulls are looking to move Deng after not getting a deal done this summer. They would like to trade him for assets now rather than lose him to free agency for nothing. Noah and Gibson (and Mohammad) are all looking at getting more playing time next season. All things equal, they would rather move him to the Western conference (instead of the Eastern conference and much less to their own division rivals).

What says no first to this trade?

Bulls Receive:
Danny Green
Nando De Colo
1st Round Pick

Spurs Receive:
Kirk Hinrich
Luol Deng

Why it makes sense for both teams:
Spurs obviously get a big time player (one year rental, but it doesn't matter at this stage of Duncan and the gang's career). Deng would provide a lift on defense, as well as bolster our much needed scoring (especially when our outside shots aren't falling). Hinrich would be the backup PG we've been searching for all along. He has the experience and the ability to score and hit open threes. Not to mention, he's one of the better defensive point guards (good size at 6'4").

Bulls pick up a great defensive player in Green, who has emerged greatly these past two seasons. He really proved himself last year in the playoffs. He has the ability the three ball. Not to mention, he's still on a relatively cheap contract, which provides the Bulls some flexible in case they want to make a run at a max player next season or mid-season acquisition (i.e. this trade frees up cap space). NDC is just another PG they could use after giving up Hinrich, and the 1st round pick is just a sweetener (used to sweeten the deal). The 1st round pick isn't really useful to an older team like the Spurs, but for a young team like the Bulls, it would be very useful.

Cowley, Joe. "Luol Deng Contract Snag Could Mean Bulls Fishing for Bigger Free Agents."
Chicago Sun Times. Sun Times Media, 11 Sept. 2013. Web. 12 Sept. 201

Chinook
09-12-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm curious to see if this thread is going to work out.

heyheymymy
09-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Deng is pretty legit, but I'm not sure I want to let go of Green so fast. Plus we should really hang on to our 1st picks.

Baam
09-12-2013, 03:38 AM
I'm in favor of trading for a true SF to play small and still be good defensively.

That said I would pass on Deng...

Besides I would be very careful about trading with the Bulls when you know they have a coach that has no problem playing his guys 48min a night... Who knows how healthy they are... They was talk about a long time wrist injury and then he was sick and lost a lot of weight at the end of last season... Wouldn't touch it personnally.

mountainballer
09-12-2013, 03:42 AM

ever heard about the CBA? your proposal ingnores basically every rule for contract numbers / salaries.

so no need to start a discussion about the basketball logic involved. Deng is a current all-star, an All-Defense player, he is in his prime and Bulls are not the Wolves or whatever disaster management franchise you might have in mind, that might be interested in trading a dollar for 2 cents.

iManu
09-12-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm curious to see if this thread is going to work out.
:lol

iManu
09-12-2013, 04:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o8kcy2l

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

^^This shit's gold. :hat

Proxy
09-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Deng is pretty legit, but I'm not sure I want to let go of Green so fast. Plus we should really hang on to our 1st picks.

backup PG and SF depth are what SA needs though... I'd do it. I don't know if anyone cares too much about the team post-Duncan atm. Green has peaked too, imo. Nando's best game came against CHI too.

this won't happen, I'm sure

anakha
09-12-2013, 04:30 AM
18.3 million vs 5.2 million.

Smart trade idea. Real smart.

E:
I have sources (within the Bulls organization)

This phrase alone already pings my bullshit-o-meter.

E2: I knew it, you were the moron who proposed RJ going back to the Spurs and was utterly clueless about the Barry trade and waiving (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221799&p=6822803&viewfull=1#post6822803).

lol Paul George
lol Yao
lol RJ
lol Deng
lol "my sources"

cd98
09-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Deng is injured every year. Doesn't matter if the logistics could be worked out. We aren't trading for glass.

RD2191
09-12-2013, 05:16 AM
:wakeup

hsxvvd
09-12-2013, 05:27 AM
You lost me at "I have sources".

Joseph Kony
09-12-2013, 06:24 AM
end your life

racm
09-12-2013, 06:57 AM
The Spurs already have a great SF and they don't need an aging, injured wing because they already have one.

Gagnrath
09-12-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't like this trade at all, spurs taking Deng creates a log jam at SF, and Deng isn't fast enough to play sg and it would be a tough transition/unnatural for kawhi. Manu isn't right for extended minutes, and Green is still on the upswing. I don't like the idea of having a new to the spurs system of Bellenelli there for most of the minutes especially with his questionable defense.

This is a pure case of trading for names and not thinking about how they fit. And having K heinrich doesn't really make the no defense at sg situation much better.

Spur|n|Austin
09-12-2013, 08:49 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3cLpmZJw6qY/T-HqRUrjyBI/AAAAAAAAC3w/0stx-dLVMtY/s1600/jackie+chan+my+brain+is+full+of+fuck+meme+blank+te %20%20mplate+lol+wtf.jpg

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't like letting that 1st round pick go in this upcoming draft unless they somehow can get a better 1st round pick somewhere!

FireMicoHalili
09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Doesn't he have like a health problem or smth

Vash StampedE
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Alicia Keys singing "This boy is on drugs, this boy is on drugs."

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I have sources (within the Bulls organization) that tell me that the Bulls are looking to move Deng after not getting a deal done this summer. They would like to trade him for assets now rather than lose him to free agency for nothing. Noah and Gibson (and Mohammad) are all looking at getting more playing time next season. All things equal, they would rather move him to the Western conference (instead of the Eastern conference and much less to their own division rivals).

Bulls Receive:
Danny Green
Nando De Colo
1st Round Pick

Spurs Receive:
Kirk Hinrich
Luol Deng

Spurs obviously get a big time player (one year rental, but it doesn't matter at this stage of Duncan and the gang's career). Deng would provide a lift on defense, as well as bolster our much needed scoring (especially when our outside shots aren't falling). Hinrich would be the backup PG we've been searching for all along. He has the experience and the ability to score and hit open threes. Not to mention, he's one of the better defensive point guards (good size at 6'4"). ,

Bulls pick up a great defensive player in Green, who has emerged greatly these past two seasons. He really proved himself last year in the playoffs. He has the ability the three ball. Not to mention, he's still on a relatively cheap contract, which provides the Bulls some flexible in case they want to make a run at a max player next season or mid-season acquisition (i.e. this trade frees up cap space). NDC is just another PG they could use after giving up Hinrich, and the 1st round pick is just a sweetener (used to sweeten the deal). The 1st round pick isn't really useful to an older team like the Spurs, but for a young team like the Bulls, it would be very useful.

Cowley, Joe. "Luol Deng Contract Snag Could Mean Bulls Fishing for Bigger Free Agents."

His "sources" don't say which Western Conference team.
This rumor may be true, however I seriously doubt the Spurs are interested especially since Kawhi is a budding potential all star SF.
And I doubt Deng would want to be a backup SF after being a two time all star.
More likely the Spurs will look for a really good defensive SF backup to Kawhi, someone like Nunnally although he is really a SG.

wildbill2u
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
The Spurs are moving into some potentially dangerous times and have to be even more careful than ever about trades, especially those that might be only marginally improving.

At some point in time the wheels are likely going to come off on two key parts of the Big 3 at the same time in a future regular season because of injuries or age and we'll have a pick in the top 15.

If that happens we will need our first pick as insurance. In past years we didn't need the insurance so much because we still had a reasonable expectation that the Big 3 had a long shelf life ahead of them, barring a career ending injury. Not so much now. In fact, almost any serious injury could be career ending for Manu or Tim.

If you trade a First along with a starter, then you have to get a really good replacement with the anticipation that he will have a long shelf life as a Spur.

cd021
09-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah off the top of my head that trade is about $10 million apart. Diaw and Bonner would have to be added to make it work. Splitter can't be traded until January and has a trade kicker.

Deng has like $14 million

While Henrick has probably about $3 million.

Combined Green & De Colo make $ 5.1 million

cd021
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Alicia Keys singing "This boy is on drugs, this boy is on drugs."

:lmao Nice one.

spurraider21
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
deng is great, but what Green brings to our team is tough to replace. One of the best 3 and D guys out there. We'd have poor floor spacing with our starting unit. Sure, Kawhi is solid at the corner 3, but he's not a sharpshooter like Green is. Who would start at the 2? I don't think its wise to move Kawhi from the SF spot, and Deng isn't a good enough outside shooter to play the 2. Plus, Green is significantly younger, and I wouldn't want to throw in a first since we will need all the assets we have as the end of the Tim era is approaching.

CubanMustGo
09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Take after your nickname and quit creating bullshit threads where your total lack of knowledge re the NBA is exposed.

look_at_g_shred
09-12-2013, 02:37 PM
deng is great, but what Green brings to our team is tough to replace. One of the best 3 and D guys out there. We'd have poor floor spacing with our starting unit. Sure, Kawhi is solid at the corner 3, but he's not a sharpshooter like Green is. Who would start at the 2? I don't think its wise to move Kawhi from the SF spot, and Deng isn't a good enough outside shooter to play the 2. Plus, Green is significantly younger, and I wouldn't want to throw in a first since we will need all the assets we have as the end of the Tim era is approaching.

Wouldn't trade Green at all. He's the reason we got past golden state in the first place. When his offense isn't there, his D always is. Hopefully this year he's added something to his offensive game so it would be tough to shut him down just behind the arc. Plus he's younger and less injury prone (from what we've seen so far).

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
We trusted Ferry in getting Green and it's worked out great with only a few exceptions who had exceptional players against him. Now we are trusting Boylen about Pendergraph. Hopefully we will get similar results out of him too.
I think Nunnally may turn out to be the answer we need from the SF position especially if he is even 1/4 the player Bruce his idol was. He likes to compare himself to Bowen. The Spurs don't need a starter at SF, just a decent backup who is young and has a huge desire to improve.

SenorSpur
09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Deng plays the same position and Leonard, so this trade proposal makes no sense.

DJR210
09-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Who is your source, Benny the Bull?

unforeseen
09-12-2013, 06:45 PM
OP has too much time.

exstatic
09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
The Spurs already have a great SF and they don't need an aging, injured wing because they already have one.

exstatic
09-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Deng plays the same position and Leonard, so this trade proposal makes no sense.

Yeah, wouldn't he just LOVE playing 12 minutes a game in his contract year. :lol

Sean Cagney
09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Stop it....

mute
09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Deng could move to PF, move Duncan to C, and bring Tiago off the bench.

Parker
Green
Leonard
Deng
Duncan

:O

xellos88330
09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Someone must be bored.

xmas1997
09-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Isn't going to happen!

mute
09-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Isn't going to happen!

I never thought in a million years that tmac would be a spurs...

Brunodf
09-12-2013, 09:22 PM
1/10

Kidd K
09-13-2013, 12:57 AM
The money doesn't match up (Spurs would have to pay way too much extra salary) and we already have a SF who's about as good as Deng besides the volume of scoring.

I like Deng, but he fills a role we already have filled. And no he's not a backup, dude is the kinda guy who leads the NBA in minutes. He doesn't have SG level ballhandling skills either. He can play PF though for small lineups, but overall he's a bit too much of a redundancy to be worth the salary the Spurs would have to eat.

What we need is a SG/PG who can handle the ball, make plays, and score.

Ice009
09-13-2013, 02:04 AM
YOU FUCKING SUCK. Stop starting stupid threads. You don't have any kind of source at all. My sources say that you are full of shit.

Sean Cagney
09-13-2013, 02:19 AM
YOU FUCKING SUCK. Stop starting stupid threads. You don't have any kind of source at all. My sources say that you are full of shit.

racm
09-13-2013, 02:21 AM
you know you sound really stupid when the Manu haters and everyone else get on your ass... :lol

mute
09-13-2013, 02:29 AM

I am a copy editor and columnist for the one of the biggest newspaper company (in terms of circilation to population ratio). lol @ me not having sources... in fact, im interviewing a location band tomorrow afternoon

egtonecity
09-13-2013, 02:34 AM
I am a copy editor and columnist for the one of the biggest newspaper company (in terms of circilation to population ratio). lol @ me not having sources... in fact, im interviewing a location band tomorrow afternoon

My sources tell me it's circulation.

Ice009
09-13-2013, 02:41 AM

You haven't proven or backed up anything. Why should anyone here believe anything you have to say?

And no, I would not trade Danny Green for Luol Deng. Deng looked very ordinary in his games against the Spurs last season, so I didn't really come away impressed with him at all, even though I know he is a good player, he didn't show me much last season. From what I have seen, he also is injured quite often. Someone correct me on that if I am wrong, but it seems like he is out for decent amounts of time each season with some kind of injury.

mienhmario
09-13-2013, 03:00 AM
I have to disagree. I think Deng has much more upside to his game than Danny Green. Deng can defend and play both positions. Green is more of a defensive liabilities because of his height, being 6'6''. With Deng, it will give Spurs more versatility.

Everyone needs to stop tripping. Deng is really good. The other person I wanted the Spurs to pick up is Gilbert Arenas. The McGrady move we did last season would have paid off if we could have brought Mcgrady on board before the season started, instead of beginning of the playoffs.

mountainballer
09-13-2013, 03:49 AM

sorry to bring this news to you, but the internet IS NOT a newspaper company.

racm
09-13-2013, 04:14 AM
I have to disagree. I think Deng has much more upside to his game than Danny Green. Deng can defend and play both positions. Green is more of a defensive liabilities because of his height, being 6'6''. With Deng, it will give Spurs more versatility.

Everyone needs to stop tripping. Deng is really good. The other person I wanted the Spurs to pick up is Gilbert Arenas. The McGrady move we did last season would have paid off if we could have brought Mcgrady on board before the season started, instead of beginning of the playoffs.

Except:

Green is our designated PG stopper.
He's 25.
He's a great shooter.
He's healthy (played 66/66 games in 2011-12 and 80/82 in 2012-13)
He's on a cheap contract.

Deng is a wing stopper who's best against the LeBrons of the world. Why bother when we have Leonard.
He's nearing the wrong side of 30.
He's an okay shooter but until the past few seasons wasn't good from 3.
He's got a lot of mileage

lmbebo
09-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Dont have a problem discussing this... the thread title sounds like the spurs are actively trying to trade for Deng when it sounds like its Chicago looking to trade him.

Obstructed_View
09-13-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm sure the angry gay guy who owns the Mavericks is up for a trade like this.

ThaBigFundamental21
09-13-2013, 08:13 AM
My sources say...

elmanutres
09-13-2013, 08:58 PM
I never thought in a million years that tmac would be a spurs...was washed up by the time he came to us

maverick1948
09-14-2013, 11:26 AM
My sources onboard the spaceship Enterprise, tell me that CAP MONEY is unavailable to make this trade. Regardless of what the trade machine says. When I checked it, I, almost, laughed my butt off, and that would have helped me lost some weight. As for Deng, NO THANKS. Is that loud enough????? I would rather have a young player who can either swing between SF and PF or SF and SG. We dont need Henrick either. We have a backup PG and without Neal to take playing time, we will see more from De Colo and Mills.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Lol because he doesn't name his source means its not true.

Vash StampedE
09-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Now, after that statement of yours, that company is most probably going nowhere but down.

ace3g
09-14-2013, 11:59 AM

Because he says:

All things equal, they would rather move him to the Western conference (instead of the Eastern conference and much less to their own division rivals).

Then just assumes the Spurs are involved and makes some random trade package up where the salaries don't match up.

HankChinaski
09-14-2013, 12:09 PM
I could believe the rumor about them wanting to trade deng. But if the spurs were involved it would be as a three team trade to make numbers work or to acquire a bench player to fill out the last roster spot. To much of a rotation problem with influx of guards on the squad now unless one was moved in acquiring a backup sf that isn't deng

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Because he says:

Then just assumes the Spurs are involved and makes some random trade package up where the salaries don't match up.
Sorry but you're making an assumption just like you get on him about

ace3g
09-14-2013, 12:22 PM
His writing doesn't convey that his source said Spurs are involved (just says Bulls would like to send him to WC). He should learn to write better if that is the case.

cjw
09-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Deng is injured every year. Doesn't matter if the logistics could be worked out. We aren't trading for glass.

Partly because Coach Thibs plays everyone like 40 minutes a game. Who on that team isn't eternally banged up?

And as good as Deng may be, he's still overpaid and Green is very underpaid for another two years.

ChuckD
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM

That, plus the fact that the cap figures are about a light year apart give reasonable suspicion that this is made up ish.

xmas1997
09-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Actually Deng might be on the trading block, but for the reasons mentioned in this thread it is highly unlikely that the Spurs are interested.

mosdef17
09-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Deng has missed 31 games in the past 4 seasons. For someone that has averaged 39mins playing time, playing in over 90% of games is quite impressive.

mute
09-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Because he says:

the last time I shared something my sources told me... it turned it out to be true lolol edcuate yourself

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215440

cd021
09-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Deng has missed 31 games in the past 4 seasons. For someone that has averaged 39mins playing time, playing in over 90% of games is quite impressive.

I agree. he eats up a ton of minutes and almost always plays. This season, he seemed to be more injury prone, that may be where people are getting this idea from.

Sean Cagney
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
the last time I shared something my sources told me... it turned it out to be true lolol edcuate yourself

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215440

This was common sense you dipshit. We knew about this years ago, lol at sharing this as groundbreaking information when it was known about in 07. Stop it, you have no sources man.

You got owned in that thread too so I don't know why you bothered posting it to make yourself look even more stupid :lol:lol

PlayNando
09-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Bulls Receive:
Danny Green
Nando De Colo
1st Round Pick

Spurs Receive:
Kirk Hinrich
Luol Deng

Spurs obviously get a big time player (one year rental, but it doesn't matter at this stage of Duncan and the gang's career). Deng would provide a lift on defense, as well as bolster our much needed scoring (especially when our outside shots aren't falling). Hinrich would be the backup PG we've been searching for all along. He has the experience and the ability to score and hit open threes. Not to mention, he's one of the better defensive point guards (good size at 6'4").

stupid op

spurs need to keep nando

nando = the future

kirk hinrich is a nice piece though

instead trade cojo

mosdef17
09-16-2013, 04:14 AM
I agree. he eats up a ton of minutes and almost always plays. This season, he seemed to be more injury prone, that may be where people are getting this idea from.

Yeah and what happened to him this year wasn't an injury, it was a freak circumstance. I don't really see it contributing to the idea that he is injury prone. I can understand why people would think that, it's just wrong.