PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Hip-Hop: 1979-2013

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Cause of death: Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOcoaOyFqpU

This soft faggot using Wu-Tang's name to push his bubblegum pop rap is just pure blasphemy, tbh....

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
ahahah everybody is so mad at this song. i think its dope and i can't wait to hear the entire album on 09/24!!!

oh and this is good publicity for the wu. check out inspectah deck's tweet:

GM fam! Woke up to a lot of @Drake (https://twitter.com/Drake) disses... WTH? The homey did a song about us right? Is that not love/respect? Or did I miss sum'n?
— Inspectah Deck (@INSpectahDECKWU) September 13, 2013 (https://twitter.com/INSpectahDECKWU/statuses/378508645807685632)
http://i39.tinypic.com/25fnjoh.png

HarlemHeat37
09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
:lol The only Wu members that are even semi-relevant today are Rae and Ghost, tbh, so they'll all appreciate the publicity..

Raekwon is a Drake fan, too, IIRC..

Avante
09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
So it came and went and I never heard any of it, what did I miss?

The Essential Hip Hop CD would have what artists?

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 10:59 AM
dang bruh, raekwon likes it too. a fan asked him what he thought of it and here is what he said:

@Nigel_D (https://twitter.com/Nigel_D) it's all luv, salute to him!!!
— RAEKWON (@Raekwon) September 13, 2013 (https://twitter.com/Raekwon/statuses/378539366316277760)

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 11:00 AM
drake haters and wu stans are so salty for no reason right nowhttp://i42.tinypic.com/de893b.png

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 11:09 AM
dang bruh, raekwon likes it too. a fan asked him what he thought of it and here is what he said:

@Nigel_D (https://twitter.com/Nigel_D) it's all luv, salute to him!!!
— RAEKWON (@Raekwon) September 13, 2013 (https://twitter.com/Raekwon/statuses/378539366316277760)

:lol Of course Wu-Tang's members are gonna praise the track, it's basically free promotion for them.... that being said, Drake has undeniably desecrated real hip-hop in order to push his feminine, soft-ass "music," tbh....

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
So it came and went and I never heard any of it, what did I miss?

The Essential Hip Hop CD would have what artists?
Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Wu-Tang Clan, Big L, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Snoop Dogg, for starters.... Drake wouldn't be anywhere near that record, btw :lol

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 11:19 AM
:lol Of course Wu-Tang's members are gonna praise the track, it's basically free promotion for them.... that being said, Drake has undeniably desecrated real hip-hop in order to push his feminine, soft-ass "music," tbh....

so wu-tang will co sign one of drakes simp anthem's and let him put their name to a love song for free promotion? that's wack for the Wu to do something like that. its obvious they respect drake and are fans of his music. i doubt they are that thirsty for attention, they're legends already.

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM
its all about the money now

do ppl even check the quality of their work these days, its like they just put any track out there and retards will just buy it

lebomb
09-13-2013, 11:44 AM
its all about the money now

do ppl even check the quality of their work these days, its like they just put any track out there and retards will just buy it

X2....... call me old, what the hell ever, but Hip-Hop/Rap sucks now adays. I hear maybe one song a month that is half way decent. Back in the day, all the hip-hop/rap songs sounded COMPLETELY different. Now the shit all sounds the same.
:depressed Money and Hoes are 90% of the topic.

benefactor
09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
It died just after the turn of the century.

UZER
09-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I remember back in tha day when niggas were all in a tizzy and called Hammer a sell out cuz he did Pepsi / BK commercials for millions. Now Jay "Ho"va is called a smart business man for doing the same shit.

When are people gonna realize, its all about money, regardless of genre. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can stop acting like "your" music is the best. Not saying you can't prefer one style of music to the other, but acting "your niggas" is real so everyone else is just corporate is dumb.

resistanze
09-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I remember back in tha day when niggas were all in a tizzy and called Hammer a sell out cuz he did Pepsi / BK commercials for millions. Now Jay "Ho"va is called a smart business man for doing the same shit.

When are people gonna realize, its all about money, regardless of genre. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can stop acting like "your" music is the best. Not saying you can't prefer one style of music to the other, but acting "your niggas" is real so everyone else is just corporate is dumb.

To be fair, I think wearing parachute pants while dancing for popcorn chicken was more of the issue, imo

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Rap died a long time ago. Now, niggas like 2chainz, Meek Mill, Drake, Gucci Mane are just dancing on the grave.

leemajors
09-13-2013, 01:51 PM
To be fair, I think wearing parachute pants while dancing for popcorn chicken was more of the issue, imo

I know it wasn't this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5rUXFXHDTY

resistanze
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I know it wasn't this:

:lol

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
the adams family groove is the shit.

and hip hop is still alive and bubbling and there are still plenty of good artists but people would rather the radio and tv tell them whats hot. where hip hop messed up was allowing these CEO culture vultures to dictate what gets airplay and spins on the radio. i like some balance in music so i don't mind listening to 2chainz when i'm in the gym or cooking crack but there is no way he should get more radio play than big krit or chance the rapper.

these label heads are selling poison to the youth and destroying the culture. i wish artists would be their own boss and start their own labels instead of depending on some 50 year old white guy in a suit who doesn't know shit about the culture.

Leetonidas
09-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Pretty much everything is shit right now. Except for a select few rappers from the early 2000s, the rap game has sucked a fat cock since the turn of the century. lol at Wu-Tang gettin all butt pissed on their fb because they just can't fathom how people can't like Drake. He fucking blows, and the only reason Wu cares is because he is promoting them. C'mon son, niggas who always be rapping about getting money this and stacking paper that don't give a fuck as long as they're getting paid.

Then again Trill called Technique "Techweak" so I'm not surprised he is into Drake tbh I didn't think black people actually listened to him and it was more the 18-25 year old bitches and wannabe honkeys

UZER
09-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I know it wasn't this:

:lol damn thats bad.

Leetonidas
09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
the adams family groove is the shit.

and hip hop is still alive and bubbling and there are still plenty of good artists but people would rather the radio and tv tell them whats hot. where hip hop messed up was allowing these CEO culture vultures to dictate what gets airplay and spins on the radio. i like some balance in music so i don't mind listening to 2chainz when i'm in the gym or cooking crack but there is no way he should get more radio play than big krit or chance the rapper.

these label heads are selling poison to the youth and destroying the culture. i wish artists would be their own boss and start their own labels instead of depending on some 50 year old white guy in a suit who doesn't know shit about the culture.

i like how you slipped that in there :lol

Creepn
09-13-2013, 02:20 PM
lol Parachute pants. Anybody wore those as a kid when McHammer was at the height of his game?

resistanze
09-13-2013, 02:22 PM
lol Parachute pants. Anybody wore those as a kid when McHammer was at the height of his game?

My dad had a pair, no lie.

I also had a Hammer action figure toy.

resistanze
09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6215699/il_570xN.242897260.jpg

UZER
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM

He was ahead of the curve. He went so far out there that brothas who do it now, as long as they don't go as far as he did, can get away with it while keeping their "dignity". They should be thanking his ass.

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Pretty much everything is shit right now. Except for a select few rappers from the early 2000s, the rap game has sucked a fat cock since the turn of the century. lol at Wu-Tang gettin all butt pissed on their fb because they just can't fathom how people can't like Drake. He fucking blows, and the only reason Wu cares is because he is promoting them. C'mon son, niggas who always be rapping about getting money this and stacking paper that don't give a fuck as long as they're getting paid.

Then again Trill called Technique "Techweak" so I'm not surprised he is into Drake tbh I didn't think black people actually listened to him and it was more the 18-25 year old bitches and wannabe honkeys

stop it. i respect wu tang too much to think they would purposely pimp out their history just for some publicity on a drake song. the only music that's shit is what you hear on the radio or see on the television(when these "music"networks decide to play videos) there is plenty of good artists out there but if you're not rapping about fucking bitches or selling dope, you won't get any attention.

i don't know why you're surprised a legend like raekwon is a drake fan, he makes good music doggie.

Leetonidas
09-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Isn't Drake played a lot on the radio though?

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 02:47 PM

don't know, i don't listen to the radio. let me be clear, all music on the radio doesn't suck. king kendrick gets radio play and he's one of the best doing it right now. MOST of the songs on the radio suck which is a reason I quit listening to it. i don't know about where you're from but here in san antonio its nothing but top 40 and amanda perez.

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
yup

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
don't know, i don't listen to the radio. let me be clear, all music on the radio doesn't suck. king kendrick gets radio play and he's one of the best doing it right now. MOST of the songs on the radio suck which is a reason I quit listening to it. i don't know about where you're from but here in san antonio its nothing but top 40 and amanda perez.
Don't forget Pitbull

Trill Clinton
09-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Don't forget Pitbull

damn how did i forget him lol.

Creepn
09-13-2013, 02:53 PM

lol Damn. I wonder what the personal message was on that cassette tape. If I had to bet, I bet "Too legit to quit" and "Can't touch this" are the 2 songs on the tape.

cantthinkofanything
09-13-2013, 03:06 PM
lol Damn. I wonder what the personal message was on that cassette tape. If I had to bet, I bet "Too legit to quit" and "Can't touch this" are the 2 songs on the tape.

I confirmed one song was "Can't Touch This". However, he dropped the "MC" from his name BEFORE "Too Legit To Quit" came out in late 1991. So I doubt that was the other song. It was probably some b-side equivalent from Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em.

I was able to find out what the personal message was:

"Hey...MC Hammer here. Thanks Honkey for buying my music and doll. Out"

resistanze
09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
He was ahead of the curve. He went so far out there that brothas who do it now, as long as they don't go as far as he did, can get away with it while keeping their "dignity". They should be thanking his ass.

True, he laid out the blueprint (excluding the getting broke part) for shameless corporate rappers like 50 Cent. I mean I respect 50 just for the fact he was transparent as fuck.

ohmwrecker
09-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Pitbull is worse than Drake.

leemajors
09-13-2013, 04:36 PM

they were the rage at my middle school dances. one dude showed up to a valentine's day dance in leather z cavaricci's. it was stupid and hilarious

HarlemHeat37
09-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Drake is nice, tbh..he doesn't act like a gangster, and he admits that he makes a lot of "girl" music, to each his own, tbh..it doesn't make sense to me to hate on Drake when there are far shittier rappers that are getting mainstream hype..

Trill is correct about execs though, tbh..it's a device to kill Black culture and it succeeds, tbh..a nigga like 2Chainz, one of the shittiest rappers of all-time, is now successful and embarrassing the Black community IMO..also, when a young nigga sees a limited rapper like 2Chainz making money and getting game, he believes he can do it too, when realistically, 95% of rappers in the world don't make it in life, tbh:lol..

I respect a nigga like Tech N9ne, he's been independent and succeeding for years, tbh..

leemajors
09-13-2013, 04:46 PM

they were the rage at my middle school dances. one dude showed up to a valentine's day dance in leather z cavaricci's. it was stupid and hilarious

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
MC Hammer was a faggot but at least there was still real hip-hop getting played on the radio back then to balance it out.... now it's all feminine soft pop shit, tbh...

silverblk mystix
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
This thread R.I.P. if for no other reason than the OP is a little rump ranger homo

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 05:04 PM
This thread R.I.P. if for no other reason than the OP is a little rump ranger homo
:lol Semen shield

DJR210
09-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I thought the cause of death would have been the rise of skinny jeans tbh.

Two10Whitey
09-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Hip-hop ain't dead. Good Hip-hop is alive and well in the independent scene. People need to quit crying the "Hip-hop is dead" b/s. Turn off the radio and check the underground for dope music if you're that much in need of some raw Hip-hop. Go check out Elzhi, Phonte, Galapagos4 Records, Von Pea, 9th Wonder, Khrysis, Clear Soul Forces, Skyzoo, and whatever is being sold at UGHH, then try saying Hip-hop is dead. And it's your own fault if you're sleeping on artists because they're not on the radio.

Tuddy
09-13-2013, 07:56 PM
It died just after the turn of the century.

elmanutres
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
cannot believe the wu praised that groupie ass faggot.

Venti Quattro
09-13-2013, 10:29 PM
When are people gonna realize, its all about money, regardless of genre.

IT IS about the money in the entertainment industry right now. But at least make the consumer's money worth it. Jesus fucking Christ, Drake?

J.T.
09-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Like 5 years ago, I took a course in college about the history of media and the guy was saying some interesting stuff about why music (not just hip hop but pretty much across the board) isn't considered as good as it used to be. He said the reason is because of the filesharing and illegal mp3 downloading that started with Napster. Basically boiled it down to the majority of sales are coming from kids and parents buying music for kids, so that's why all the Justin Bieber, One Direction shit is so popular despite being 110% pure unadulterated crap. Same thing is happening to hip hop. I've always hated Drake, mostly because of that stupid YOLO song, but this one is pretty bad too.

I don't know how true that teacher's facts were, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I'm sure most artists have loyal fans that actually buy the album if they like it but pretty much everyone I know just downloads everything they want for free.

leemajors
09-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Like 5 years ago, I took a course in college about the history of media and the guy was saying some interesting stuff about why music (not just hip hop but pretty much across the board) isn't considered as good as it used to be. He said the reason is because of the filesharing and illegal mp3 downloading that started with Napster. Basically boiled it down to the majority of sales are coming from kids and parents buying music for kids, so that's why all the Justin Bieber, One Direction shit is so popular despite being 110% pure unadulterated crap. Same thing is happening to hip hop. I've always hated Drake, mostly because of that stupid YOLO song, but this one is pretty bad too.

I don't know how true that teacher's facts were, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I'm sure most artists have loyal fans that actually buy the album if they like it but pretty much everyone I know just downloads everything they want for free.

Artists can sell directly to their customers now, too and avoid the labels entirely. Giving 30% to Apple compared to the peanuts they may get from a label is a pretty good thing, assuming you can pay for your own studio/production. I prefer to either do that or buy directly from musicians and comedians.

Chief Brody
09-14-2013, 02:22 PM
As long as the music has a good beat, it will go on. I couldn't care less what rappers are "keeping it real" or how deep their lyrics are. I'm a 30 y/o WASP, so those things stopped being important to me when I was 14.

Michael Jordan.
09-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, music can be absolute shit, but as long as the beat is good, women will always dance to it. Ain't a bad drawback.

Proxy
09-14-2013, 02:50 PM
What do any of you guys expect out of music made for the general audience? Spend some fucking extra time to find good musicians and stop bitching about the pop music you hear on the radio. There's more, and better music nowadays then there's ever been.

xmas1997
09-23-2013, 04:22 PM

This is pretty much on the level.
They say once a music genre is used on mainstream TV ads and shows, that is the death knell of the genre.
Just wondering what genre of music will be the next big thing.
There really hasn't been a big revolution in music since the 60s with the Beatles, and their songs launched all sorts of genres since.

Suspect
09-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Hip-hop ain't dead. Good Hip-hop is alive and well in the independent scene. People need to quit crying the "Hip-hop is dead" b/s. Turn off the radio and check the underground for dope music if you're that much in need of some raw Hip-hop. Go check out Elzhi, Phonte, Galapagos4 Records, Von Pea, 9th Wonder, Khrysis, Clear Soul Forces, Skyzoo, and whatever is being sold at UGHH, then try saying Hip-hop is dead. And it's your own fault if you're sleeping on artists because they're not on the radio.
Little Brother still making music?

Two10Whitey
09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Little Brother still making music?
Big Pooh is busy with his solo career, Phonte is running a label with Nicolay, and 9th is still producing fire. Another LB album would be great.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Dude, there are still very legitimate rappers out there nowadays. To call it dead is ignorant. Drake brought out some pretty real songs. This is coming from someone whose favorite rapper is Tupac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYEhCrevrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh46gH0S9Mc

Bill_Brasky
09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
am i the only nigga that actually buys music?

AchillesHeel
09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Cause of death: Drake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOcoaOyFqpU

This soft faggot using Wu-Tang's name to push his bubblegum pop rap is just pure blasphemy, tbh....

Pound Cake ft. Jay-Z was a dope song off the album

I dug the beat though, don't really care much about Drake's singing but the track might be growing on me a little bit. Definitely not his worst shit.

xmas1997
09-24-2013, 11:09 AM
There are still legitimate rappers out here with something valid to say, but their numbers are decreasing by leaps and bounds these days. The genre has pretty much run its course and is dying.
In the near future we will see the exceptions rather than the rule as a new form of music genre replaces it.
It happens to every genre, it is inevitable, and usually goes along with each new generation.

Clipper Nation
09-24-2013, 04:30 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/tumblr_m210hm5tHq1qa638no1_r1_500.png

symple19
01-17-2014, 02:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9_yW8tZxs

symple19
01-17-2014, 02:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUM8tEWYoGw

Joyrider
02-07-2014, 07:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hIEI3EN.jpg

Thought this was be an appropriate place to post this. Sick show I'm working with in March.

Two10Whitey
02-07-2014, 09:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hIEI3EN.jpg

Thought this was be an appropriate place to post this. Sick show I'm working with in March.

Damn! Paint by Numbers and DJ Jester? Haven't heard those names in a while.

xmas1997
02-08-2014, 11:35 PM
So, any guesses as to what the next big genre in music will be?

The Gemini Method
02-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Brostep Indie Hipster Orchestra mashups!

Clipper Nation
02-09-2014, 01:39 AM
Dubstep and EDM seem to be the popular genres of the moment.... not my cup of tea personally, but I can't deny their popularity....

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-09-2014, 01:46 AM
dubstep is complete ass

Venti Quattro
02-09-2014, 02:09 AM
People who listen to dubstep and EDM should kill themselves

Killakobe81
02-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Wu-Tang Clan, Big L, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Snoop Dogg, for starters.... Drake wouldn't be anywhere near that record, btw :lol

My man CN with the hip hop goods. I don't hate Drake. There is a place for his metrosexual raps ... and he actually has talent. He just sometimes like Wayne before him relies too much on punchline/metaphors and not enough storytelling or messaging. Both guys are talented. But the time when he (Drake) is the best rapper alive tells you how much trouble hip hop is in,

Glad Kendrick has shook up the game ... it's his time hopefully he doesn't blow it with his second major albulm.

Venti Quattro
02-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't hate Drake. There is a place for his metrosexual raps ...

Yeah, in the fucking garbage bag.

Killakobe81
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Don't forget Pitbull

he is not hip hop, he is dance party, club music now and to be honest he is successful and talented at it. he caters to the grown and sexy crowd and from what I hear his live shows are amazing. he has grown past the typical hip hop market he is a pop star really not a hip hop artist.

Killakobe81
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah, in the fucking garbage bag.

he I thought about that joke ... even wrote it but deleted it but figured it would cloud my point. Drake has skills but his rap formula sells. he has clever punchlines for his fans that says he is the best rapper alive, the sing songsy shit for the ladies and crossover appeal and a few beats that bang for mixtapes. As nice as Jay-z is (was) it is a similar strategy just "softer". And women love it.

His mixtapes back in the day were cool ...

Avante
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Rap and hip hop takes so little talent.

Clipper Nation
02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
It takes a lot more talent than memorizing almanac lists does :lol

Huey Freeman
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM

The kids seem to like it
Maybe that fact will spark your interest