PDA

View Full Version : DeLoss Dodds to step down at end of year

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 02:22 PM
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f1/f104b01c_FatBlackKidDance.gif

Blake
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
so I'm assuming if that's true, then Mack will be the next AD.

Blake
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
But it's Chip Brown reporting, so who knows

Sisk
09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah, chip is not the best source of info. Adamant A&M would never move to the SEC

DesignatedT
09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Damnit if true.

Sisk
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Other than my previous post, this is definitely possible

TFloss32
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Not a chance, tbh.

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 02:31 PM
DeLoss Dodds, who has guided the Texas athletic department for 32 years, including its growth into the top revenue producer in college athletics, will step down as athletic director by the end of the calendar year, two well-placed sources close to the situation told Orangebloods.com.

According to the sources, Dodds will move into a consulting role currently outlined in his contract and will continue to serve the Texas athletic department in "a significant half-time position."

In the consulting role, Dodds, 74, would continue to collect his full salary (currently $1.1 million) through the end of his current contract, which expires in August 2015, the sources said. Dodds would also collect a $1 million, after-taxes payment due to him in August 2014, as currently outlined in his contract, the sources said.

Dodds denied to the Austin American-Statesman this week about having "any immediate plans" to step down as athletic director. And Nick Voinis, senior associate athletics director for communications, vehemently denied Dodds has any plans to step down to Orangebloods.com.

"Whoever is saying that is wrong," Voinis said.

But the high-ranking sources told Orangebloods.com Dodds plans to clear the way for a new athletic director by January, in part, because Dodds wants his successor to be able to make any hires that might be needed in the athletic program's biggest sports - football, basketball and baseball.

"There are likely big changes coming, and DeLoss knows it and doesn't want to stand in the way of progress," one source close to the situation told Orangebloods.com.

Sources said if the football team continues to struggle the way it did in a demoralizing loss at BYU, in which the Longhorns gave up 550 yards rushing, that Mack Brown would likely announce his resignation.

Sources said Dodds has recommended Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby to Texas president Bill Powers as a possible replacement. Bowlsby's current annual salary of roughly $2 million, including perks and bonuses, could be an issue for Texas regents, sources said.

Bowlsby is the former athletic director at Stanford. He hired Jim Harbaugh and David Shaw as football coaches and helped oversee raising the money necessary to endow all athletic scholarships at the school.

That is a project Texas president Bill Powers is very interested in pursuing, because it makes the athletic department completely independent of the university's General Fund and would allow UT to add more sports.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1549065

Juan
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Don't care.

Bama/A&M week.

Texas releasing any information to get into the conversation right now :lmao

symple19
09-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Bout time

Mack is toast

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 02:44 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxmwjp104z1r4tm4zo1_500.gif

DesignatedT
09-13-2013, 02:54 PM
kbohls ‏@kbohls 1m
Texas spokesman calls Orangeblood reports that AD DeLoss Dodds stepping soon "absolutely not true. Period. It's just not true."

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 03:01 PM
^Of Course. Gotta spin dat shit.

Blake
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Don't care.

You guys keep popping up in here like roaches.

smh utsa

pgardn
09-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Excellent.

Rick Barnes has got to be the first to go.

pgardn
09-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't care.

Bama/A&M week.

Texas releasing any information to get into the conversation right now :lmao

Yeah.

The timing could not possibly correspond to the beat down exposure dished out by BYU...

Good lord...
And Diaz was another diversion so Texas would get highlights over the ATM game.:dizzy

benefactor
09-13-2013, 03:49 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1FpN8FTlPMk/TlGRy1rL3II/AAAAAAAAB-k/tEze3TtPh5M/s400/xpdd86.gif

pgardn
09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1FpN8FTlPMk/TlGRy1rL3II/AAAAAAAAB-k/tEze3TtPh5M/s400/xpdd86.gif

Oh yeah.
There is a supreme being.

Michael Jordan.
09-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Between the president and the HC. Mack not being fired obviously but they are formulating a plan for stepping down. He won't be back next year but nothing will be announced until December 8th at the earliest. Wants to finish this year strong for the kids. He has apparently been very emotional this week. Wants the rest of this season to be about the kids.

Bowlsby is the top target. More going on around behind the scenes in the Big 12. OU, KSU, KU and OSU all think he's too close to Texas and not aggressive enough in expansion. Wouldn't be upset if he left for Texas. Texas will make a strong push for Saban, but it will come down to 5 guys after that (right now the list is):

Shaw
Fitzgerald
Strong
Gruden
Franklin

Gary Patterson is not a candidate. Urban Myer is not a candidate. Pete Carrol is not a candidate. Chris Peterson is not a candidate.

"we have to get someone in here that can turn this thing around in a hurry. The concern with Gruden is how long he's been out of coaching. He's still only 50 but that is a concern as well as no college experience. But the interest is there on both sides. If Bowlsby is the guy, he's going to have a little fight on his hands because most people view Shaw as the third guy and the feed back we've got is that he may not be legitimately interested. I personally don't think he's going to leave Stanford unless it's for the NFL. The feeling on Chad Morris is that he might be a little 'rough around the edges for Texas'. But he's a rising star in college football. The list is very fluid right now. Several guys could make the list by mid-season. Many of the decision makers are concerned about having the right offense for Texas. Going to be an interesting couple of months. "

From a subscription site.

DMX7
09-13-2013, 06:38 PM

No.

Bill_Brasky
09-13-2013, 08:40 PM
#keepmack

Clipper Nation
09-13-2013, 08:43 PM
I'd be shocked if Shaw even gave them the time of day, tbh, considering he played at Stanford and his father was a coach there.... only way I see him leaving is for the NFL....

DesignatedT
09-13-2013, 09:09 PM
#keepmack

Vito Corleone
09-14-2013, 01:00 AM
I'd be shocked if Shaw even gave them the time of day, tbh, considering he played at Stanford and his father was a coach there.... only way I see him leaving is for the NFL....

The Texas job is better than 90% of the NFL jobs out there. He would listen especially if the conference call is with his old boss Bowlsby and 3 Billionaires.

I've been pimping for Saban, but really I think Shaw is a better fit. Being a stanford guy he knows how to recruit kids at a institution of higher learning that isn't just a football factory. Shaw would be a heck of a hire.

Bill_Brasky
09-14-2013, 10:29 AM
The Texas job is better than 90% of the NFL jobs out there. He would listen especially if the conference call is with his old boss Bowlsby and 3 Billionaires.

I've been pimping for Saban, but really I think Shaw is a better fit. Being a stanford guy he knows how to recruit kids at a institution of higher learning that isn't just a football factory. Shaw would be a heck of a hire.

lol Texas fan
lol unrealistic expectations

honestly though, Texas should be able to lure Belichick. it's just such a good job that everyone wants.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-14-2013, 11:13 AM
lol Texas fan

honestly though, Texas should be able to lure Belichick. it's just such a good job that everyone wants.

I experienced something you will never experience. I watched the team I have followed since I was 8 years old win a national championship. I was a fan back in 1983 when we lost to Georgia. I was a fan back when the wheels fell off the program back in 1984. I was a fan and had to endure losing to Miami back in 1990 cotton bowl. I endured McWilliams, Machovic and Mack having blowout losses to OU.

Fact is it was all worth it see us win the MNC. You can say what you want, but Mack is a better coach than anything you have ever had at Tech and if he were at Tech win or lose he would be a legend just like he is at Texas. When your school wins something, anything then you can judge Mack but until then you don't know what you are talking about.

He needs to be replaced, there is no doubt about it, but he goes out with dignity and respect he has earned.

Clipper Nation
09-14-2013, 11:15 AM
The Texas job is better than 90% of the NFL jobs out there.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DMX7
09-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Apparently, it was all a sick giant hoax. :(

Bill_Brasky
09-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I experienced something you will never experience. I watched the team I have followed since I was 8 years old win a national championship. I was a fan back in 1983 when we lost to Georgia. I was a fan back when the wheels fell off the program back in 1984. I was a fan and had to endure losing to Miami back in 1990 cotton bowl. I endured McWilliams, Machovic and Mack having blowout losses to OU.

Fact is it was all worth it see us win the MNC. You can say what you want, but Mack is a better coach than anything you have ever had at Tech and if he were at Tech win or lose he would be a legend just like he is at Texas. When your school wins something, anything then you can judge Mack but until then you don't know what you are talking about.

He needs to be replaced, there is no doubt about it, but he goes out with dignity and respect he has earned.

:rollin :rollin

symple19
09-14-2013, 11:28 AM

:lmao

pgardn
09-14-2013, 11:42 AM
lol Texas fan

In 2012 only 5 NFL coaches earned more money than Mack.

And you think Mack worked HARDER?

I don't know what better means, but if has anything to do with salary, location, and pressure, Mack has one of the sweetest spots of all. BTW. Take a look at Urban Meyers contract and compare that to NFL contracts.

You guys should actually do some research when comparing TOP college jobs to the pros.

Bill_Brasky
09-14-2013, 11:50 AM
well if paying your coach a fuckload of money gets you the results you're currently seeing, maybe it's not such a great idea to pay a fucking football coach that much money.

pgardn
09-14-2013, 11:56 AM
well if paying your coach a fuckload of money gets you the results you're currently seeing, maybe it's not such a great idea to pay a fucking football coach that much money.

Uhhhh that is what this thread is basically about Einstein...

You replied to good coaching jobs.

lolwat
09-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Shaw
Fitzgerald
Strong
Gruden
Franklin

Gary Patterson is not a candidate. Urban Myer is not a candidate. Pete Carrol is not a candidate.

From a subscription site.

Shaw - Won't leave Stanford.
Fitzgerald - Shitty coach, Do. Not. Want.
Strong - Would be an acceptable hire.
Gruden - Do. Not. Want.
Franklin - Rumor has it he covered up the rape perpetrated by several of his players. Do. Not. Want.

I don't know why Patterson isn't a candidate, unless the BMD don't want to win. Of course Urban and Pete aren't candidates, they would never leave their current jobs.

Michael Jordan.
09-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Some more news.

The Humidor newsletter taken from shaggy message boards. Kinda reads like fan fiction.

Quote:

Deloss Dodds and Retirement

Say what you will about the man but he’s turned the University of Texas Athletic Department into a money making machine and one of the most popular properties/brands in all of sports. Has Deloss made mistakes along the way, sure, but no one can deny the financial gains he’s brought to the University of Texas. I’m not going to get into his mistakes here because they’re obvious and what’s done is done. For our purposes the only relevant item is Deloss Dodds’ retirement because it’s the absolute most important component to getting the University of Texas football program back to prominence.

To that point and make no mistake, Deloss Dodds has already retired effective 12/31/2013 as we reported last week. This is a done deal despite what some have reported to the contrary. There are other unfortunate reasons that make this an absolute certainty but we won’t get into that here because it’s not appropriate. Just wish the man well and thank him for all of the good he’s brought to the school.

An interesting aside to all of this is Dodds’ announcement that he’s retiring. A source close to the situation tells us that Dodds’ is waiting for the Bev Kearney EEOC investigation and subsequent private lawsuit to show its cards before announcing he’s stepping down. Why? Because it gives the University of Texas cover in the form of showing a change in direction at the highest level of the athletic department if that strategy is needed. It’s also one of the reasons Bellmont and those who message for Bellmont were so aggressively denying our report and Chip Brown’s follow-up report.

If you’re handicapping the timing of the announcement look for the first couple of weeks of October as the Kearney allegations of sexual impropriety and misconduct in the AD start to get leaked. Don’t be surprised if a head coach, a former head coach, and one the highest ranking positions of the AD get name dropped in this deal.

Deloss’ Exit Strategy And Mack Brown

Deloss’ retirement announcement not only serves as a powerful counter to any Kearney allegations, but it also gives Mack Brown a reason to retire. Deloss’ announcement will be a sentimental event and Mack Brown will be able to hang it up without many hardball questions from the media as a result. Oh, and if you’re asking, yes, we’re told Mack Brown will step down at the end of the season which is certainly the most important bit of information to our readers—we just wanted you to know the mechanics of this deal. The only question is when the announcement will be made and how much input Mack is going to have into the new coaching search, but we’ll have more on that later. For now, let’s get to Saturday night’s debacle and the legion of examples of why the program is in the hole it is today.

Mack Lost the Coaches.

Reason number 1 is accountability. There isn’t a whole lot and that exclamation point was pounded into the coaches’ minds when Manny Diaz was retained in 2013 after it was evident things weren’t working out. Remember our report last season when sources told us Bo Davis and Duane Akina basically started taking over coaching responsibilities as sort of a collective defensive coordinator and that helped improve the play of that side of the ball. A healthier program would have moved another direction after this chain of events but Mack Brown still brought Manny Diaz back to keep up appearances that Texas was stable after the other coordinator Bryan Harsin had bolted. Sources tell us that Mack Brown did not want to explain to his bosses why he was replacing two coordinators in the same season especially when he was telling everyone, “We’re fixin’ to be good again.”

Fast forward from last season to last week. Sources close to the staff tell us that both Bo Davis and Duane Akina were furious when Mack fired Diaz two games into the year because they knew this was something that should have been done last spring. We’re told that Bo Davis is coaching hard and keeping his head down, but he is still disgruntled. Duane Akina is different story, however. In the Sunday coaches meeting things got heated again between Akina and the head man. We’re told that Duane Akina told Mack to fire him if he did not like the job he was doing once again laying blame at the head coach’s feet for having a soft team that is coddled way too much.

Probably the most bizarre situation on Saturday was the demeanor of Bruce Chambers who’s usually much more quiet and reserved on game days. A team source says that Chambers seemed to have a chip on his shoulder especially when taking orders from other coaches on the staff on the offensive side of the ball including Mack Brown. “He was definitely no himself,” the source claimed. “He acted like he just didn’t give a damn and that’s not Bruce. He typically just quietly goes about his business but Saturday night he was yelling back at coaches and outwardly defiant at times.”

It leaves you to wonder if someone has told Chambers something about his future or if he’s been given his notice to start looking for work. If you remember 2010, this happened in the months of October and November with various coaches being told they needed to find a soft landing or they were going to be fired--the results were a disastrous 5-7 record that culminated in the staff opening up a big giant “can of quit” in the last game. In the week leading up to the finale against TAMU, sources claim Major Applewhite was the only one coaching in practice on the offensive side of the ball while guys like Kennedy, Davis, and Macwhorter did nothing knowing they were already toast. This could be the beginning of a similar situation according to our source.

Another item of discord, especially considering the dreadful offensive adjustments made in the second halves of the last two games, is play-calling disputes. We’re told that Major Applewhite evidently continues to overrule Darryl Wyatt on play-calls and this has created a schism in the offensive staff. In back to back weeks, half time adjustments weren’t forth coming and some feel Applewhite needs to take Wyatt’s advice to heart more often because Wyatt seems to have a better feel for what levers to pull at various points during the game. Remember Wyatt was a play caller at Kansas and had significant offensive input at OU.

In fact, we’re told that Bryan Harsin was more apt to take Wyatt’s input to heart and it resulted in a pretty high success rate in the form of big plays last season. According to one source, “Major may be trying too hard to be the man. He keeps blowing off input from Coach Wyatt. He needs to lean on his staff.”

It will be interesting to see if Wyatt gets more in-game input as the season wears on. Keep in mind, these guys are coaching for jobs after this season so they won’t take kindly to going to down with the ship without input knowing their careers are being damaged.

Schemes Are Easy

We spoke with a source with ties to Ole Miss who was on the sidelines during the game. Here’s what we were told. Ole Miss coaches were shocked at Case’s lack of arm strength and made significant adjustments at half time which resulted in a shut out after the second quarter. They had prepared for David Ash all week so they were caught off guard by Case and took a while to adjust according to the source. “Once they realized Texas couldn’t challenge them down field they blitzed the power looks and shut down the running game. They were surprised that Texas was starting a guy that couldn’t challenge outside the hashes because of lack of arm strength. In terms of big games, they said it was the easiest game they’ve ever had to coach. They were laughing on the side lines.”

Player Led Team

We’re told that the players called a players only meeting after the BYU game and only part of the team showed up. To make matters worse, the players that did get up to say something weren’t all that convincing. According to a player, “I don’t think any of the guys believed what they were saying when they stood up. This team doesn’t seem to have any direction. It’s embarrassing.”

So Where Do We Go From Here?

On the coaching front we reported that Shaw and Saban were the names we were hearing at this time which is still early in the process. Obviously things can change and it turns out they have in the last week. One of our best sources thinks that David Shaw and Bowlsby are just a smoke screen to placate Mack Brown. Mack has an approved list of coaches to replace him and those would include Shaw, Fedora, and Boise State’s Chris Petersen. A name like Nick Saban would definitely not sit well with Mack Brown and Mack has pretty much said as much.

If you recall, we reported last spring that a handful of Dallas Big Cigars (one of which hunts with Saban) had worked out a tentative deal to bring Saban to Austin with the proviso that Mack Brown would announce his retirement. Mack had discussed retiring a handful of times in the last few years so this group thought they could talk Brown into doing what was best for the program. Right or wrong, they set up a lunch meeting to make the pitch to Mack so the program to take the next step. I’m not sure that’s the way I would have handled things and I would expect Brown to be royally pissed but these gentlemen are captains of industry and figured they’d roll the dice. Much to their chagrin, the lunch meeting went horribly bad and Mack was angry and defiant which tells you how he would feel about Saban taking over.

So what’s the point? How does Shaw figure into the story?

The Big Cigar tells us that Shaw is going to be pitched to gauge his interest in the Texas job and it’s highly unlikely the Stanford man will leave his alma mater to come to Texas. In other words, our source claims the Shaw and Bowlsby duo may be something that’s being floated as a smoke screen. Nick Saban is actually the only other name we heard this weekend as a serious candidate which was surprising. In other words, we feel Saban is the first choice of large faction of power brokers at UT.

New Athletic Director Tidbits

Oliver Luck’s name is back on the tongues of some of the most influential folks at UT. They’re willing to overlook the financial issues at West Virginia because Texas is a different animal I’m told. Luck’s polish and presence along with his home-state ties have put him back on the radar with guys with their names on buildings at UT along with President Powers. It will be interesting to watch as Powers will have the final say.

Sundays Meeting—Does Mack Announce Today?

Prior to workouts on Sunday, our source indicates there was yet another meeting with Powers, Dodds, and Mack Brown as well as a group other folks that my source could not identify. Is it a meeting to change the drapes in Moncrief-Neuhaus or to negotiate Mack Brown’s retirement—our source was unclear. “It was certainly out of the ordinary, but I haven’t heard he’s going to announce retirement in Monday’s press conference. I will say this, President Powers is not happy one bit and wasn’t there show support on Sunday. As for the other suits, I’m not sure who they were.”

I guess we’ll have to stay tuned for the 11 o’clock presser but my sources indicate Deloss would have to retire first before Mack would step down so I doubt it happens today. Regardless, changes are afoot, it’s just a matter of timing at this point. Then let the Athletic Director and Coaching searches commence.

Hook ‘Em

:lmao Mack Turdfaggot not wanting Saban
:lmao Texas telling Mack to fuck off, we want Saban

Blake
09-16-2013, 06:26 PM

:lol

:cry better than anything we had at tech

DMX7
09-16-2013, 06:31 PM
If Saban becomes AD while Mack is still here hanging on, then you know what's coming.

Sisk
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Saban a first choice? No shit.

Clipper Nation
09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
:lmao at the Turdfaggot putting together a list of replacements for himself and expecting to be listened to.... this guy is as delusional as it gets....