PDA

View Full Version : The Five Roster Spots Left

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Currently the Spurs have five roster spots left, assuming they will go with a full 15 man roster again next season. Going by how Pop has historically tended to build a team and also by the traditional NBA roster format*, the following are the remaining positions the Spurs are likely trying to 'fill' this summer:

Spots on the active roster (2)
Backup Shooting guard
Backup Small forward

Spots on the inactive roster (3)
Point guard
Shooting guard or Small forward
Power forward/Center

If the Spurs retain Devin Brown, as expected, then they will only have the backup small forward spot to worry about.

*The standard 12 man NBA active roster usually consists of 5 guards, 2 small forwards, and 5 bigs.

JUUOT
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
given the new rule the composition of inactive should change quite a bit from before.
2 players can go to the Dleague. this motivate teams to fill this roster spots with young projects.
Barett - Britton - Sanders are the favorite from summer leagues. but we should not erase the big and energetic Karaulov if the situation does not look good for him in europe.

it should be between this 4 and vetran types for the last 4 spots. the SF back up has been largely discussed already

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 08:44 AM
as long as they don't sign kukoc i'll be happy

TheTruth
07-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Sign the Dog and Devin and call it summer.

Solid D
07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I submit one alternative to the *standard NBA 12-man roster:
5 Pivots (Bigs)
5 Wings (swingman 2/3)
2 Lead Guards (PG)

This is an off-season where there could be another 3-team trade, particularly with the Scola trade talk. Andre Barrett looks like a good third PG unless the Spurs were to work a trade or S&T that adds a vet like an Earl Watson (just an example). Lots of trade/S&T possibilities now for Wing players with scoring or defensive abilities. The Spurs could just fill in some nice role players in those 11th-15th bench slots OR they could add an impact player or two who upgrades the major minutes rotation and slides one or two of the current guys down or out.

timvp
07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Keeping Devin Brown is key to filling out the roster with talented players. If you keep Devin, then you can use part of the MLE to get the other swingman. If you lose Devin, then you need to fill two perimenter slots.

Also remember that the Spurs have to make a decision on Tha Third. He could be the fall back plan as the small forward.

On the inactive list, I wouldn't mind seeing Karaulov or Sanikidze. Both haven't gotten much playing time in Europe, so getting them some NBDL time could help their development.

benjirh
07-22-2005, 01:07 PM
LJIII should be our 3rd SF

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Keeping Devin Brown is key to filling out the roster with talented players. Tha Third.

:tu :tu I agree. I think the FO needs to stop pussyfooting and start talking deals with Brown. Also, I'm still sold on Tha Third. I dont see how someone so muscular, black, and tall could fail in our system. Not expecting his jumper to be on, but I bet he can definitely come in handy guarding Rashard Lewis for example.