PDA

View Full Version : Any Spurs Fans Attended Away Games?

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 01:33 PM
May have an opportunity to go see the Spurs on a few away games this year. Spurs fans are always nice to opposing fans at our place, at least from what I have seen. Anyone have a notable experience, good or bad, watching the Spurs on the Road? Is it better to not wear Spurs stuff in the enemy's house? LOL

HOEmada
09-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Away games in Dallas are a lot of fun. Their fans are idiots, and not friendly at all, but that is what makes it fun. Definitely an enjoyable experience. Seen the Spurs a few times in Toronto. Since there is no rivalry or bad blood, it's not as fun, but the crowd goes freaking nuts when Bonner checks in. They love him there.

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Away games in Dallas are a lot of fun. Their fans are idiots, and not friendly at all, but that is what makes it fun. Definitely an enjoyable experience. Seen the Spurs a few times in Toronto. Since there is no rivalry or bad blood, it's not as fun, but the crowd goes freaking nuts when Bonner checks in. They love him there.

Strangely enough, Dallas is one of those I may go to. They didn't try to give you a beating or anything did they? Lol about Bonner. Go figure.

lefty20
09-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Seen them play in Indiana and Chicago. Went to the Pacer game in 2009, surprisingly I'd say the team representation was pretty much split 50-50. Might have something to do w/ the fact that Pacers sucked back then. Overall I'd say that the fans were quite friendly, and the game atmosphere wasn't that electric. Chicago is a different story, the energy in the building is crazy in there. Unfortunately, I was there to watch D-Rose drop 42 on Parker in 2011. The arena seemed to get louder every time Rose would nail a shot. While their fans may not be as friendly as Pacers', they aren't exactly hostile either.

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I so want to start a GO SPURS GO! chant in someone else's building, tbh.

Richard Simmons
09-15-2013, 05:28 PM
And get beated when theyre in memphis

hooperflash
09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
I so want to start a GO SPURS GO! chant in someone else's building, tbh.

Go to Houston :tu

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Go to Houston :tu

If it would work I would. Almost went last year when they were in Houston.

Vic Petro
09-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I usually catch them at Staples a couple of times a year. Will be there to see them play the Clips in February.

joshtd1
09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I decided to go with a buddy at least once a year to an away game since 2011. I have been to Philly, LA (clips), Brooklyn, and went to Oakland for game 6 of the playoffs where the Spurs closed them out. It's a great experience to go to, specially when they win. Also been to Houston of course. Fans usually aren't too rowdy or anything, might just get heckled a little bit.

joshtd1
09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
And you gotta wear your gear to show who you're repping, be a true fan.

GeorgiaSpursFan
09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I try to go when the Spurs come to ATL. From 99-2008 or so we had a large group, like 2or3 hundred but the last couple of years it has dropped off. A lot of us moved to Georgia with the C5 workload from Kelly.

Spur Bank
09-15-2013, 08:21 PM
I usually catch them at Staples a couple of times a year. Will be there to see them play the Clips in February.
Huh. Never noticed that before. I wonder if it's a coincidence, or if Staples thought, hey, we should sponsor a team that's named after office supplies.

SanAntonioSpurs23
09-15-2013, 10:42 PM
When I lived in Arizona id try to go to at least 2 Spurs games.

Suns fans are still extremely bitter towards Spurs fans. There was multiple times I almost got into fights from 2005-2009.

Skull-1
09-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, PHX hates us. I used to fly one of the part owners around. My Spurs bag tag always got their attention.

I met Nellie one time. "Go Spurs go, right coach?" Lol

egtonecity
09-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Me and the wife (and baby) were in LA for game 3 of this years playoffs. Hostile crowd and we wore spurs gear. :)

Darius Bieber
09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Yeah, PHX hates us. I used to fly one of the part owners around. My Spurs bag tag always got their attention.

I met Nellie one time. "Go Spurs go, right coach?" Lol

Ah you're a pilot? Nice to see one of those around here! I really want to become one, but I heard you need a college degree first so I'm studying Aerospace Engineering.. Yay!

jmspurs
09-15-2013, 11:22 PM
I went to a game in Boston back in 2010. Crowd wasn't hostile except for a couple of drunk dudes outside the stadium. Also, there was a bunch of Spurs fans at the game, I was surprised.

ElNono
09-16-2013, 12:23 AM
I attend road games at least once (sometimes twice) a season... Always wear my Spurs gear, and always a great experience...

cjw
09-16-2013, 01:41 AM
At the Brooklyn game last year, there were a fair share of Spurs fans around particularly in the areas by the Spurs bench. Couldn't tell how many were in the building because the Nets stole our darn colors.

spurraider21
09-16-2013, 01:56 AM
I've been to 3 Spurs-Lakers games and 2 Spurs - Clippers games. All good experiences at Staples, especially since I've only been to games where the Spurs won :lol

saw game 3 of Spurs-Clippers last year where the spurs came back from that monster first half deficit. this past year i went to the clipper game where TP shat all over CP3.

I always rock a white jersey at laker games (since a lot of laker fans dont wear jerseys and wear black shirts n shit, so i dont want to blend with them) and i wear by black jerseys at clipper games, since clippers home jerseys are white. always had great experiences tbh

alamo50
09-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Went to 2 away Faker playoff games in '03 wearing D-Rob away jersey, cap and tat.
Getting booed walking outside the Staples Center was awesome as Kareem watched on.
Getting jabbed at after the game by a hoodlum was not so cool as he was getting aggressive.
Fellow Spurs fans came to the rescue.

MFFL's are just loud in .allas, but no problems there.
In New Jersey and Oakland games were attended by lots of Spurs fans so that was cool.

phxspurfan
09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I went to a few Spurs-Celtics games when I lives in Boston going to college. It was in 2002-2005 before they got Garnett. Spurs laid the boom on the Celts and I mostly kept my cheers to clapping in the upper deck of the Garden.

Then I lived in Phoenix for work and went to see several Spurs-Suns games. Since I actually lived in Phoenix, I felt more comfortable showing my Spurs pride then. I actually went to one of the playoff game 4s with a broom when the Spurs had a chance to sweep. The Suns bounced back with a W to avoid the embarassment, but by this year the Suns fans were numb to losing to the Spurs so I didnt catch any angry fans.

Skull-1
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Ah you're a pilot? Nice to see one of those around here! I really want to become one, but I heard you need a college degree first so I'm studying Aerospace Engineering.. Yay!

Yeah. No degree required but it helps. More glamour than anything. One mistake and your career is over, even if nobody gets hurt or anything damaged. Just misread a clearance. Even doctors don't get that treatment. Maybe the supply and demand equation will work out in your favor. My generation are all on the short end of that regarding pay and qol. Good luck!

Skull-1
09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
I've been to 3 Spurs-Lakers games and 2 Spurs - Clippers games. All good experiences at Staples, especially since I've only been to games where the Spurs won :lol

saw game 3 of Spurs-Clippers last year where the spurs came back from that monster first half deficit. this past year i went to the clipper game where TP shat all over CP3.

I always rock a white jersey at laker games (since a lot of laker fans dont wear jerseys and wear black shirts n shit, so i dont want to blend with them) and i wear by black jerseys at clipper games, since clippers home jerseys are white. always had great experiences tbh

Guess I will take both black and white and wear what stands out.

spurraider21
09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Guess I will take both black and white and wear what stands out.

Since a lot of teams hope uni's are white, a lot of fans are likely wearing white Jerseys. Some teams hand out those free t-shirts before games for fans. They typically reserve that for playoffs but do it for some reg season games (ex: OKC fans with blue T's). when that happens you def want to stick out

falconqb1234
09-16-2013, 12:16 PM
anyone been to Memphis? may be trying to go for the game in Nov.

txstr1986
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I live in DC so I always see the Spurs when they're in town. To be honest, it's basically a home game for them - the arena is is split 50/50 on fans, and the Spurs fans are always much more interested in the game than the Wizards fans (no surprise there). As far as I remember, I've always ended up randomly sitting next to other Spurs fans every time I've gone.

rmt
09-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I go to Heat games (live in Miami). Generally, I don't consider Heat fans true fans - a lot arrive late and leave early - like they did in 13 playoffs game 1 and wanted back into the arena. There are quite a few Spurs fans here - a lot of Manu fans because of the Latin influence. They don't bother me - in fact some joke with me because I'm in a Duncan jersey and my son used to wear a Shaq jersey so we looked unusual together. Did take off my Duncan jersey after playoff game 1 since we were taking the MetroRail home and a lot of the fans were drunk.

Man In Black
09-16-2013, 05:54 PM
I live in California and watched out boys play in every arena in California and in Phoenix and of course, ATT Center. Actually, my 1st game was at Alamodome with DRob in 1995. My 2nd game there was Spurs v LAL in 04 when Manu scored 35 against the LAL with Shaq, Kobe, GP, and Karl Malone but they lost in double OT.

As for being a Spurs fan at these arenas. You get heckled but you should be okay. Just don't try to borrow trouble. Trouble has a way a finding you, so just minimize it. LAL fan cracks me up the most.

spurs10
09-16-2013, 10:10 PM
anyone been to Memphis? may be trying to go for the game in Nov.
Good pal of mine was in Memphis during the WCF. Said he was watching a game in bar that had a sign in the window "No shirt, No service, No Tony Parker!" :lol

maurolv
09-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I've been to a few reg. season games here in Miami. There are plenty of Argentinians here and they're all Spurs fans, so there is always a pretty big (loud) crowd of people supporting the Spurs.

Darius Bieber
09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Yeah. No degree required but it helps. More glamour than anything. One mistake and your career is over, even if nobody gets hurt or anything damaged. Just misread a clearance. Even doctors don't get that treatment. Maybe the supply and demand equation will work out in your favor. My generation are all on the short end of that regarding pay and qol. Good luck!

Thanks man! I still haven't even gotten my Private Pilot's license or logged any official hours.... So I need a lot of luck and time......

Skull-1
09-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks man! I still haven't even gotten my Private Pilot's license or logged any official hours.... So I need a lot of luck and time......

And money. Lol

loveforthegame
09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Oakland and Sacramento have some of the best fans around. Passionate about their teams through the good and bad. I've been going to those games for the past 10 years and haven't had any trouble. Some fun trash talking.

JR3
09-17-2013, 11:43 AM
When I lived in new york i went to several spurs knicks games and never had a problem believe it or not. I went decked out! I also went to jersey and dc for a couple of games and it was fine (no one in DC cares). Now I live in Utah and they have passionate fans, but have never had a problem. I'm not an annoying fan though.. i sit and watch for the most part and I cheer loud when they play well and make big plays. I go to more road games than home games, and still love seeing the spurs... i could argue that over the years, some of their best games have been played on the road... they just seem to be more focused.

rick1991
09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Spurs and Suns when Nash was in his prime. I went to multiple playoff battles and man those Suns fans are loud. I went in repping my Ginobili jersey and even though I was only 13 their fans would talk shit to me. Shoot I even went in with a Spurs poster and their fans hated it. Not only that but I was super loud, if I wasn't so young at the time it would have been much worse. I was at the game where Nash had the bloody nose when he collided with Parker. What a game and atmosphere. That was a ton of fun! I went to several other Spurs and Suns games in Phoenix and all were a ton of fun with a fun environment. They hate Ginobili over there and boo him every time he touches the ball. I have also been to some Spurs and Hawks game in Atlanta, but that crowd is lame. The Hawks fans barely cheer for their team and they don't say anything to opposing fans. I did go to the Spurs vs Hawks game that went to OT on a ESPN Sunday night game. I sat courtside for that one so it was sick especially since it was a close game. That was when we had Dyess, Hill, and Dick. At the time TP was out with a broken finger from a game against Memphis and Ginobili was going off in that stretch of the season.

Skull-1
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM
When I lived in new york i went to several spurs knicks games and never had a problem believe it or not. I went decked out! I also went to jersey and dc for a couple of games and it was fine (no one in DC cares). Now I live in Utah and they have passionate fans, but have never had a problem. I'm not an annoying fan though.. i sit and watch for the most part and I cheer loud when they play well and make big plays. I go to more road games than home games, and still love seeing the spurs... i could argue that over the years, some of their best games have been played on the road... they just seem to be more focused.

They are a great road team for sure.

TXstbobcat
09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Living in Minneapolis, I alway go to the target center when the spurs come up here to play the wolves. I went to game 2 of the finals to see the spurs play the heat. Planning on driving up to Milwaukee this season to see the spurs play the Bucks since it isn't that far of a drive from where I live.

xmas1997
09-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Never. When I was out of town, they were either playing somewhere else or it was not basketball season.

But I'm happy to say that all the games I have seen in S.A., and there were quite a few each season, were fantastic seats, the worst being 8 rows from court side, and the best were box seats given to me by A. Drossos.