PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Mark Madsen

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
"As for (Mark) Madsen, the Wolves are working toward a contract agreement as they attempt to hold off the Washington Wizards and the Utah Jazz, who have shown serious interest in the center-forward. San Antonio and Seattle also showed interest. Madsen reaffirmed that he loves Minnesota." St. Paul Pioneer Press

"The Wolves would be able to use the "Early Bird" salary cap exception to re-sign Madsen, who made $1.65 million last season. That means the Wolves would not have to dip into their mid-level exception or lower exception to re-sign him." St. Paul Pioneer Press

I think that last paragraph is wrong. Madsen signed a 1.4 million/2 year deal with the wolves. Everybody thought they overpaid him until they realized it was only a 700K per year contract.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 09:04 AM
TD
Nazr

Horry
Rasho
Oberto

No room at the inn, barring a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the interest expressed came before the Spurs reached an agreement with Oberto.

FuzzyLumpkins
Please god no

Mr. Body
Spurs probably wanted to keep him off the court so he couldn't keep hurting people.

duncan_21
07-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah, lets get the white malik rose albeit a cheaper malik.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 09:07 AM
um, Malik is a tad bit better than this guy.

I hate Spurs fans.

duncan_21
07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
um, Malik is a tad bit better than this guy.

I hate Spurs fans.

Only a tad bit. Both guys are weak on o and d. The only thing the 2 guys do fairly well is rebound.

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 09:17 AM
weak on D?

WTF are you smoking?

Thats the only reason Mark Madsen is in the league.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I think this is old news (that the Spurs were interested) and was in a thread about a week ago. The Wolves also came to terms with Skita.

duncan_21
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
weak on D?

WTF are you smoking?

Thats the only reason Mark Madsen is in the league.

Yeah, he's so good he gets 10mpg.

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
He's not really that good at D, either. He picks up lots of fouls and near-flagrants and puts opposing rookie point guards out of business flying around like an unaimed torpedo (that was him, wasn't it?).

As far as borderline psychopathic players go, I'd rather get Eduardo Najera, who at least has some game.

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Mr. Body obviously doesn't remember the play. Madseen was set with his hands straight up in the air. Lemme guess, those damn twin toweres knocked the planes right out of the sky, huh?

Madsen is straight up a MAN for post defense. He won't get blocks but he pushes EVERYONE including shaq out of position just a bit.

He's one of the few guys that Shaq gives props to defensively. He fouls bc he's undersized trying to play a 5.

Get a clue.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Only a tad bit. Both guys are weak on o and d. The only thing the 2 guys do fairly well is rebound.

Someone needs to watch more tape.

spurschick
07-22-2005, 09:43 AM
:vomit :vomit :vomit
The one guy that I absolutely hate - Mark Madsen. I would have a really hard time seeing him in a Spurs uniform. Doesn't look like it's a serious thought though.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
It appears that the Spurs have expressed interest in a number of guys who would be a 5th big in SA (DDavis and Madsen, for example). This might have been before they were able to land Oberto, but it might also be in anticipation of dealing Radoslav.

spur219
07-22-2005, 09:50 AM
No not Mark Madsen.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Friday, July 22, 2005

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600150356,00.html

Jazz still in hunt for Madsen

Washington also pursues 6-9 Minnesota forward
By Tim Buckley
Deseret Morning News

The Jazz continue to pursue free agent Mark Madsen, the Minnesota forward's agent said Thursday.

"There are some teams that have interest right know, and the Jazz are one of them," said agent Bob Meyers, who spoke with Jazz basketball operations senior vice president Kevin O'Connor during the Rocky Mountain Revue summer league at Salt Lake Community College.

The Jazz had not made a formal contract offer as of Thursday night, but they are expected to soon, perhaps today.

Meyers said "four or five teams" have expressed interest in Madsen, who is living in Utah during the offseason. He did not name them all, but did say Washington has "serious interest." Contrary to a Minnesota newspaper report, however, Madsen does not yet have a formal offer from the Wizards.

"A lot of people like what Mark brings — his energy, and the intangibles," Meyers said of Madsen, who played his first three seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers and the past two with the Timberwolves.

A 6-foot-9 hustle player, Madsen's strength is his defense. He played just 41 games this past season, though, and underwent season-ending wrist surgery after tearing a ligament in the joint.

Madsen hopes to decide where he will play next season by the weekend, Meyers said.

Minnesota owns Madsen's so-called Early Bird rights, meaning it can re-sign him for any amount up to the league's average salary without using one of its primary team payroll salary cap exceptions.

The Timberwolves are interested in doing just that. They may have even made a multi-year offer. Yet they do not seem to have made re-signing Madsen a high priority.

"I love Minnesota. I love to play," Madsen said in Thursday's Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I'm not trying to play the (negotiating) game. I'm not trying to squeeze anybody. I just need to know what offers are on the table. I'd like to make a decision by (today) and give a verbal agreement."

"It may work out, and he stays here," 'Wolves owner Glen Taylor told the Minneapolis paper. "Then again, it might be where somebody else has more money or puts a higher value on him."

If the Jazz follow through with an offer, it might come from their midlevel-exception money — in others words, a multi-year deal starting next season at some portion of slightly more than $5 million.

"Mark's eager," Meyers said, "but he's patient at the same time."

Meanwhile, the Jazz continue to work the NBA's summer free agency market in hopes of finding veteran help at the point.

One possibility is Maccabi Tel-Aviv's Sarunas Jasikevicius, a former University of Maryland shooting guard who has been playing the point in Europe with great success since leaving the ACC.

The Jazz have been pursuing him since the market opened July 1.

According to ESPNInsider .com's Chad Ford, "Jasikevicius seems to have narrowed the field down to three contenders — the Pacers, Jazz and Cavs."

The Jazz on Thursday were downplaying the likelihood of landing the super-shooting Jasikevicius, who reportedly is seeking a three-year deal worth about $10 million. Cleveland appears to be the front-runner, though the Cavaliers also reportedly are flirting with Los Angeles Clippers free agent Marko Jaric.

The Cavs probably don't have enough money left to spend on Jaric, though, after getting center Zydrunas Ilgauskas to agree to re-signing and splurging on both Washington guard Larry Hughes and ex-Jazz forward Donyell Marshall.

The Jazz, though, are in a position to make a run at Jaric — and have not ruled out doing just that. Miami and Orlando have supposed interest in Jaric, too.

Another possibility for Utah continues to be Memphis point Earl Watson, but again the Jazz are just one suitor among many. According to an ESPN Web site, "It looks like the Magic may be the front runners for Watson, though the Hawks, Blazers, Jazz, Sonics and Rockets all have shown interest."

IX_Equilibrium
07-22-2005, 10:07 AM
let him go anywhere but here

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 10:09 AM
One thing to remember, Spurs fans: if the Spurs deal Rasho and do not get a big back in the trade, they will be looking for a 5th bigman with $2.5 mil and less to offer as a starting salary.

Hence, this thread.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Is Travis Knight still in the league? If you need a big worthless white dude that's the way to go. He was the glue that held the threepeat Lakers together.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Oh, and I wouldn't really care for this signing. But considering that the 5th big will play about as much as TMass did last season, it's not that big of a deal. As long as Madsen can waive a towel at a sufficient velocity he'd be fine.

Spursdaone
07-22-2005, 11:47 AM
It seems like San Antonio is trying to make up their choking by bringing ex laker players who know how to get it done.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
It seems like San Antonio is trying to make up their choking by bringing ex laker players who know how to get it done.

It seems like you should stop pretending to be a Spurs fan.

Spursdaone
07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
No really. What would have happened if Horry didn't make those clutch shots at the end of the game in game 5. It could've gone the other way.

Sportcamper
07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Mad dog is one of the truly gifted finesse players of this era...He can shoot with either his hands or his feet (http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/buck/img/oct03/mason1029.jpg)...And He is one heck of a dancer!... (http://www.detnews.com/pix/2002/06/15/spolakers200.jpg) ...He is loved throughout the world (http://www.uso.org/pubs/uploads/USO_BAGHDAD_1_wp.jpg)....

spur219
07-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Madsen is probably the next superstar of the league.

PM5K
07-22-2005, 11:59 AM

And it looks like LA made up for their choking by bringing in ex Rockets players who know how to get it done (back to back).

Sportcamper
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Unlike Kareem...Madsen is a double threat...Beautiful Sky Hook & he can get rough...If needed... (http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news23/6wolf0505w.l.jpg)

BigVee
07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
No really. What would have happened if Horry didn't make those clutch shots at the end of the game in game 5. It could've gone the other way.

What would have happened if Billups didn't make a bunch of shots in game 6? What would have happened if Barry didn't hit clutch 3's in game one v. Pho? What would have happened if Tim Duncan was born as a girl? What an ass.

timvp
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Madsen is decent. If you trade Rasho, you are going to have to get a fifth bigman. He'd be pretty good for that role. He's a bench cheerleader and a guy who isn't going to cause any problems in the locker room. He'd know his role and would provide some good minutes when called upon.

As far as fifth bigmen go, he's right there with Dale Davis and Bo Outlaw as the best options.

usckk
07-22-2005, 12:40 PM
He's a nice dancer too! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM

LOL, they didn't have any ex-Lakers in '99 or '03, punk.

LakerGod, shouldn't you look in the mirror? Kobe and Shaq couldn't get it done until they brought in an ex-Bull (Jackson) and an ex-Rocket (Horry).

Have a nice day.

batman2883
07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Why would we be interested in him, we already have a goofy dancing white guy in Brent Barry....ha ha hah a j/k

SpursChampsIII
07-22-2005, 04:49 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! If this happens, I'll either kill myself or become a Laker fan. Death sounds better.

Brutalis
07-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Hello?

This is a joke right?

Madsen = overachieved scrub.

Brutalis
07-22-2005, 04:56 PM

And what about Fisher. It would have been a 3 peat this year if it wasnt for that. And that wasnt even clutch, it was lucky. Not to mention the shot wasnt even legal.

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 10:11 PM
San Antonio and Seattle also showed interest. Madsen reaffirmed that he loves Minnesota i will be really pissed off if the Spurs sign this idiot....he's one of the reason I hated the Lakers and Minny teams....grrrr:cuss

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 10:18 PM
It seems like San Antonio is trying to make up their choking by bringing ex laker players who know how to get it done.:huh

if I remember correctly Tim Duncan's Spurs won the title ahead of the ShaQ/Kobe tandem. Then, they offered Malik to come to L.A., signed Samaki Walker....Hello!!!!!!

so, who's showing who to get it done?

BTW, are you really a Spurs fan or just pretending to be one?

sickdsm
07-22-2005, 10:31 PM
i will be really pissed off if the Spurs sign this idiot....he's one of the reason I hated the Lakers and Minny teams....grrrr:cuss

True, but i remember the Laker fans in here admitting shortly after signing to MN that Madsen is one of those guys you hate but you absolutly love after getting the opportunity to have him on your team.

This guy could drop the f-bomb on all of minnesota on his way to Utah and he would still get an ovation every time he came back.

milkyway21
07-22-2005, 10:46 PM
True, but i remember the Laker fans in here admitting shortly after signing to MN that Madsen is one of those guys you hate but you absolutly love after getting the opportunity to have him on your team.

This guy could drop the f-bomb on all of minnesota on his way to Utah and he would still get an ovation every time he came back.NEVER!!!!
I could never be a fan of Madsen. I hate seeing him on the bench cheering and on the floor banging his opponents.

besides, we ALREADY have cheerleaders

let him sign with your team, then keep losin'

duncan_21
07-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Someone needs to watch more tape.

Just cause a guy hustles, doesn't mean he's a good defensive player.

milkyway21
07-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Just cause a guy hustles, doesn't mean he's a good defensive player.exactly.

and he played dirty on Duncan last season..it even came into my mind if he tried to injure him or what.

Madsen a Spur? :nope

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Madsen agrees to contract with Timberwolves
Associated Press
National Basketball Association News Wire

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mark Madsen, a free-agent forward for the Minnesota Timberwolves, has agreed to a contract to remain with the team, Madsen said Saturday.

Madsen, who has been with the Wolves for two seasons, is a valuable rebounder and defender coming off the bench. He had surgery in March to repair a ruptured ligament in his shooting wrist and was clearly missed by Minnesota, which failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

Teams can negotiate contracts with free agents, but they won't be allowed to sign them officially until Thursday.

Madsen said he was excited to be staying with the Wolves and praised team owner Glen Taylor for getting personally involved in the negotiations.

Nash to Amare
07-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Spurs should get him but it won't matter anyway. Amare owns all.

Sense
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Madsen is decent. If you trade Rasho, you are going to have to get a fifth bigman. He'd be pretty good for that role. He's a bench cheerleader and a guy who isn't going to cause any problems in the locker room. He'd know his role and would provide some good minutes when called upon.

As far as fifth bigmen go, he's right there with Dale Davis and Bo Outlaw as the best options.

IMO, Madsen doesn't deserve to be in the NBA.

Sense
07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Madsen agrees to contract with Timberwolves
Associated Press
National Basketball Association News Wire

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mark Madsen, a free-agent forward for the Minnesota Timberwolves, has agreed to a contract to remain with the team, Madsen said Saturday.

Madsen, who has been with the Wolves for two seasons, is a valuable rebounder and defender coming off the bench. He had surgery in March to repair a ruptured ligament in his shooting wrist and was clearly missed by Minnesota, which failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

Teams can negotiate contracts with free agents, but they won't be allowed to sign them officially until Thursday.

Madsen said he was excited to be staying with the Wolves and praised team owner Glen Taylor for getting personally involved in the negotiations.

GG T'Wolve fans.

tophy7
07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Spurs should get him but it won't matter anyway. Amare owns all.

4-1

mavsfan1000
07-24-2005, 12:00 AM
The spurs don't need Madsen. They got Horry.

midgetonadonkey
07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Fuck that wide mouthed bastard. We don't need him, we are deep enough at our 4 and 5 position.

Nash to Amare
07-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Next year Amare is going to be the MVP of the league so you better get all the big bodies you can. He will get everyone in foul trouble with his relentless attacking.

Spurologist
07-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Madsen is probably the next superstar of the league.

:lmao The spurs need a dancer for their championship celebrations.

Jimcs50
07-24-2005, 12:26 PM
TD
Nazr

Horry
Rasho
Oberto

No room at the inn, barring a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the interest expressed came before the Spurs reached an agreement with Oberto.

Is Scola still in the picture?

gospursgojas
07-24-2005, 12:50 PM
He probally thinks he fits in with the Spurs...

Madsen: "what... they rap after championships too???".

Maybe he and Tony can have a freestyle rap battle to determine if he can play for the Spurs.

SpursChampsIII
07-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Next year Amare is going to be the MVP of the league so you better get all the big bodies you can. He will get everyone in foul trouble with his relentless attacking.

YOU better get more players. If you lose Johnson, you won't even win your division next year...still might not, even if you retain him. Here on July 26, I say Suns are behind: Spurs, Rockets, Nuggets, and maybe Dallas. I guess Kurt Thomas makes your frontcourt better than ours? Cocaine's a hell of a drug.