PDA

View Full Version : Gary Payton: Tony Parker is one of the few true point guards in the NBA

jdiggy0424
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Off-Season Reading fun.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/september/gary-payton-tony-parker-is-one-of-the-few-true-point-guards-in-the-nba.html (http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/september/gary-payton-tony-parker-is-one-of-the-few-true-point-guards-in-the-nba.html)

ThaBigFundamental21
09-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Always I have loved Payton. Most underrated PG of all time??? Everyone gushes about Kidd, but forgets Payton???

racm
09-18-2013, 11:41 PM
While TP has progressed as a floor general so dramatically in his NBA career, the guy was once known more for his ability to sprint up the court and get a layup before the opponent got back on the break...

DMC
09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Payton is a one of the dumbest people to ever play the game of basketball. He barely speaks English, and he's just an all around twat.

slick'81
09-24-2013, 03:49 PM
We all know manu is our pg

Leetonidas
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
It's funny how Parker haters always claim he is a ballhog and a scoring PG but he is a pure PG imo he has developed such a good floor game and he runs the offense to perfection consistently. Hope he can continue his MVP caliber play this year, we're going to need it

xmas1997
09-24-2013, 05:38 PM
It's funny how Parker haters always claim he is a ballhog and a scoring PG but he is a pure PG imo he has developed such a good floor game and he runs the offense to perfection consistently. Hope he can continue his MVP caliber play this year, we're going to need it

There are so many different Spur player "haters" on here it's a wonder there are any Spur team fans left.

Kidd K
09-24-2013, 06:38 PM

Parker has the highest AST% advanced stat on the team (% of assists that take place when player's on the floor), which is much higher than the person at #2 (Manu at 30%), and #3-4 at 20-21% (De Colo and Joseph).

Anyone calling Parker a ballhog is a moron who doesn't pay attention. If they're talking about him taking a lot of shots, well you want your best players to shoot a lot. Parker also shot 52% last year. Also had the 2nd best TOV% of players who make a lot of plays (1st was Duncan).

Parker is pretty much the one guy on the team you want taking a shot or making a play. Only 15 FGAs a game too. Definitely not a ballhog. Great player.

anakha
09-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Get with the times. 'Heroball' is the new catchword du jour for people bashing Parker nowadays. :hat

KL2
09-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Payton definitely respects Parker ever since he was getting burned by him in the playoffs when he was with the Lakers. Payton was getting called out by the media for not being able to guard such a young guy. I'm sure there's a YouTube clip of it somewhere.

xmas1997
09-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Age catches up with everyone.

TheGreatYacht
09-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Parker has the highest AST% advanced stat on the team (% of assists that take place when player's on the floor), which is much higher than the person at #2 (Manu at 30%), and #3-4 at 20-21% (De Colo and Joseph).

Anyone calling Parker a ballhog is a moron who doesn't pay attention. If they're talking about him taking a lot of shots, well you want your best players to shoot a lot. Parker also shot 52% last year. Also had the 2nd best TOV% of players who make a lot of plays (1st was Duncan).

Parker is pretty much the one guy on the team you want taking a shot or making a play. Only 15 FGAs a game too. Definitely not a ballhog. Great player.The people that bash Tony Parker are the Manutards. They want to blame TP for Game 6 even though he is the main reason why the Spurs were up by 5 points with 28 seconds to go in Game 6. Don't listen to them retarded Manu fans.

anakha
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
The people that bash Tony Parker are the Manutards. They want to blame TP for Game 6 even though he is the main reason why the Spurs were up by 6 points with 28 seconds to go in Game 6. Don't listen to them retarded Manu fans.

If you're going to turn this into another Ginobili thread, at least get your facts right.

E: but then again, you do have a history of misrepresenting the facts (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221279&page=4&p=6807585&viewfull=1#post6807585).

TheGreatYacht
09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Not my fault that the number "6" is stuck on my head.

Vic Petro
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Payton is a one of the dumbest people to ever play the game of basketball. He barely speaks English, and he's just an all around twat.

Not sure what you mean by "he barely speaks English."

He was known throughout his career as a mentor to younger players, gets studio gigs analyzing the game, doesn't have kids everywhere like some other players, he's been heavily involved with charities since he came into the league, has scored some acting gigs...obviously his basketball IQ is excellent. He may be a dumb guy but I've heard him talk a lot and I don't see any evidence of it.

Kidd K
09-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Either way, it's ridiculous to claim Parker is a ballhog. His AST% is 40%. Not exactly ballhog stats. Actually his AST% has been 40% for 3 of his last 5 seasons too, it's not really a new thing. USG% between 26-28 last 3 seasons too. Very reasonable USG% for a star player PG and very solid AST%. Also very low TOV% considering how high his USG% and AST% are. Efficient and not a hog.

Unlike say, Westbrook with an AST% under 30% and USG% at 33% in 2012. Definite ballhog year. Those are SG ratios. In fairness his ratio was better last year though.

Skull-1
09-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Parker is pretty much the one guy on the team you want taking a shot or making a play. Only 15 FGAs a game too. Definitely not a ballhog. Great player.

Parker's issue is that he is a SELECTIVE ballhog. He seems to go into heroball mode when he shouldn't. Duncan wide open under the basket and Paker tries to go coast-to-coast.... Miss.

Skull-1
09-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Not my fault that the number "6" is stuck on my head.
Oh come on, TGY, the number *8* should be stuck in your head. Or 86. Or 68. or even 689. Game six. Eight turnovers. Nine points.

DMC
09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Not sure what you mean by "he barely speaks English."

He was known throughout his career as a mentor to younger players, gets studio gigs analyzing the game, doesn't have kids everywhere like some other players, he's been heavily involved with charities since he came into the league, has scored some acting gigs...obviously his basketball IQ is excellent. He may be a dumb guy but I've heard him talk a lot and I don't see any evidence of it.

Dbzurp7ChFM

Do Al Jefferson got the many players...

Yall two knowledge people...

yeah, not real english

Kidd K
09-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Parker's issue is that he is a SELECTIVE ballhog. He seems to go into heroball mode when he shouldn't. Duncan wide open under the basket and Paker tries to go coast-to-coast.... Miss.

I'll take him either way since nobody complains when those "heroball" shots go in, just when they miss. Unfair criticism imo. We're not talking about a 40-42% shooter, we're talking about a 52% shooting PG. His scoring percentages are through the roof for a PG. . .if his heroball shots were missing so much and hurting the team, his FG% would be much lower than it is.

I think maybe you're just recalling times he's missed only rather than fully recall all the times he takes those pullup mid range shots and makes them. He's one of the best in the league at the mid range pullup now. That's his shot, it's not really heroball. So is the coast to coast finish. I also doubt Duncan's somehow already standing under the basket wide open if Parker's streaking down the court going coast to coast on a fast break, but you were probably just being facetious.

I'm not saying he's never gone hero mode and blown it, but then again every star player in the history of the NBA has done that. I'm just saying I think that's really overblowing the situation to complain about it when he's one of the most efficient scoring PGs in NBA history. Definitely isn't a Brandon Jennings situation. You want Parker taking the most shots. Parker and Duncan, then the rest of the team.

EVAY
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I'll take him either way since nobody complains when those "heroball" shots go in, just when they miss. Unfair criticism imo. We're not talking about a 40-42% shooter, we're talking about a 52% shooting PG. His scoring percentages are through the roof for a PG. . .if his heroball shots were missing so much and hurting the team, his FG% would be much lower than it is.

I think maybe you're just recalling times he's missed only rather than fully recall all the times he takes those pullup mid range shots and makes them. He's one of the best in the league at the mid range pullup now. That's his shot, it's not really heroball. So is the coast to coast finish. I also doubt Duncan's somehow already standing under the basket wide open if Parker's streaking down the court going coast to coast on a fast break, but you were probably just being facetious.

I'm not saying he's never gone hero mode and blown it, but then again every star player in the history of the NBA has done that. I'm just saying I think that's really overblowing the situation to complain about it when he's one of the most efficient scoring PGs in NBA history. Definitely isn't a Brandon Jennings situation. You want Parker taking the most shots. Parker and Duncan, then the rest of the team.

Thank you.

Kool Bob Love
09-25-2013, 08:43 PM
The people that bash Tony Parker are the Manutards. They want to blame TP for Game 6 even though he is the main reason why the Spurs were up by 5 points with 28 seconds to go in Game 6. Don't listen to them retarded Manu fans.

MVParker went 6-23. Yeah the "leader" all season couldn't hit a shot that night. Parker pulled a "kobe". Not even gonna bother to bring up his game 7 stats.

Also I think Manu's turnovers only cost the spurs 5 POINTS.

lefty
09-25-2013, 08:54 PM
The same Payton who said that soon everybody will say that Magic was playing like Gary ?

The same Payton who said : " Kobe'S still the best in the game " a few weeks ago ?

Dat Credibility :lol :lmao :rollin

Kidd K
09-26-2013, 02:21 PM
MVParker went 6-23. Yeah the "leader" all season couldn't hit a shot that night. Parker pulled a "kobe". Not even gonna bother to bring up his game 7 stats.

Also I think Manu's turnovers only cost the spurs 5 POINTS.

Five points? You're forgetting the points the Spurs didn't get because of the turnovers. At least 8 more points scored since they shot over .500 TS% as a team that night, so 8 possessions would = at least 8 points if not 9 if one was a three. I'm not sure if 5 is even all the Heat scored off his turnovers. Actually I just looked it up and it's 7, you lied. Not to mention the momentum swings in favor of Miami each time he turned it over. I also see that Miami only didn't score more because they turned it over three times on those 8 turnovers because the rest of the team was desperatebly scrambling to make up for Ginobili's fuckup to limit the damage he just caused.

You're heavily cherry picking data and leaving out a lot of information. He cost the team at least 15 points in the Final game score with those turnovers, if not 16 (assuming one of the shots they never got to take was a three that went in). -7 is bad enough, but -15 to 16 just on bad ballhandling is atrocious.

It's a joke to even attempt defending his playmaking that game. I have no idea why Spurfans continue to do it. He sucked, let it go. No argument you can possibly make will change that fact. It has already happened and it's done. He was the biggest letdown that night followed by Popovich's decisions in the 4th. History and factual data will always reflect that.

TheGreatYacht
09-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Also I think Manu's turnovers only cost the spurs 5 POINTS.Don't ever compare Parker's Game 6 performance to Kobe's Game 7 stats. Kobe got help from the refs. TP knocked down a very difficult three point shot over Lebron. On the other hand, Manu just turned the ball over 8 times. Without TP, there would be no NBA Finals. Without Manu in the NBA Finals, the Spurs are the 2013 NBA Champions.

TheGreatYacht
09-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Five points? You're forgetting the points the Spurs didn't get because of the turnovers. At least 8 more points scored since they shot over .500 TS% as a team that night, so 8 possessions would = at least 8 points if not 9 if one was a three. I'm not sure if 5 is even all the Heat scored off his turnovers. Actually I just looked it up and it's 7, you lied. Not to mention the momentum swings in favor of Miami each time he turned it over. I also see that Miami only didn't score more because they turned it over three times on those 8 turnovers because the rest of the team was desperatebly scrambling to make up for Ginobili's fuckup to limit the damage he just caused.

You're heavily cherry picking data and leaving out a lot of information. He cost the team at least 15 points in the Final game score with those turnovers, if not 16 (assuming one of the shots they never got to take was a three that went in). -7 is bad enough, but -15 to 16 just on bad ballhandling is atrocious.

It's a joke to even attempt defending his playmaking that game. I have no idea why Spurfans continue to do it. He sucked, let it go. No argument you can possibly make will change that fact. It has already happened and it's done. He was the biggest letdown that night followed by Popovich's decisions in the 4th. History and factual data will always reflect that.I'm telling you, the Manutards are in denial and so is Manu himself :lol. Turnovers are wasted and missed potential opportunities. Fuck all them homers. They are blind.

Axegrinder
09-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Not my fault that the number "6" is stuck on my head.Is it right next to the big "L" on your forehead?