PDA

View Full Version : Will marijuana ever be legalized in Texas?

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 12:45 AM
If it happens, Texas will probably be the last state it happens in.
However I have heard that the Texas Democrats met in Houston last month and called for decriminalization rather than legalization.
See what I mean?
At a time when most other states law makers want to end the prohibition completely, not just for medical reasons, but for pleasure, ours want to still make it fineable!
Go figure!:rolleyes

Xevious
09-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Texas will be one of the last holdouts. Eventually they'll have to follow suit once the other states are selling. That's a lot of tax dollars TX will be missing out on when everybody is crossing the borders to stock up.

Jacob1983
09-19-2013, 12:55 AM
If Texas gets someone as governor that isn't a Bible thumper or neo-con then I would say soon. Texas is more liberal than people think it is.

Rogue
09-19-2013, 12:57 AM
NY and California will be the first states to legalize weed if it's going to happen. Those states always running afront the trend imho. With marijuana legalized in both states my goddess will be able to buy it from legal sources both when she's at home or making films in cali, imho. Weed ain't legal in France and there's no chance of it being legalized anytime soon over there, hope the legalization of marijuana will draw her back home. :cry

The Reckoning
09-19-2013, 12:59 AM
just imagine the amount of revenue Texas would get out of it. the borders will be better secured as well, and violence along the borders would be nil.

of course, the boomer generation will hold out as long as it can. good ol' boys playing bitch to the liquor lobbyists.

DJR210
09-19-2013, 01:23 AM
It will probably be one of the last states to catch on, but it will be legal across the country sooner than later. Seattle has really helped the public opinion on weed lately, tbh .

Axegrinder
09-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Should be now..but I agree with most..Texas will be near last. Many will be watching what happens in Colo. after recreational use is allowed

leemajors
09-19-2013, 06:45 AM
NY and California will be the first states to legalize weed if it's going to happen. Those states always running afront the trend imho. With marijuana legalized in both states my goddess will be able to buy it from legal sources both when she's at home or making films in cali, imho. Weed ain't legal in France and there's no chance of it being legalized anytime soon over there, hope the legalization of marijuana will draw her back home. :cry

Washington and Colorado already did.

Leetonidas
09-19-2013, 07:37 AM
It will be legal and regulated in the US in my lifetime tbh

THEGOAT
09-19-2013, 09:40 AM

you realize that states have already done this right?

Rogue
09-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Didn't know that there were states who'd passed such laws, thanks for the info. Melo must be wishing he was still playing in Denver, imho.

Boris
09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Doesn't matter to me. I already fired up.

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Man, I hope you're right, but I seriously doubt it will in my lifetime. :(

:lmao Good for you, just be careful if you're in Texas.

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Can't wait for the first weed bar to open. People will get pulled over doing 30 on 1604.

And stuffing their faces! :lol

2pac > Kobe
09-19-2013, 12:02 PM

boutons_deux
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
(even medical) mj legal in TX? :lol

alcohol ain't even 100% legal in most of TX and some places 100% illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

mj? :lol

TX is a state where Thomas Jefferson is to be excluded from American History text books because he saw USA as a secular govt (not as a Christian theocracy), and slavery downplayed, euphemize, or excluded :lol

TX is one of the ass-backward, regressive Confederate red-states that elects flaming assholes like Ted Cruz to the Senate.

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
(even medical) mj legal in TX? :lol

alcohol ain't even 100% legal in most of TX and some places 100% illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

TX is a state where Thomas Jefferson is to be excluded from American History text books because he saw USA as a secular govt (not as a Christian theocracy), and slavery downplayed, euphemize, or excluded :lol

TX is one of the ass-backward, regressive Confederate red-states that elects flaming assholes like Ted Cruz to the Senate.

:lol
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, but you are right about alcohol, just drive through Dallas sometime, or East Texas and there is proof of that.

Jacob1983
09-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are pretty liberal and usually blue.

boutons_deux
09-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are pretty liberal and usually blue.

legalizing (medical) marijuana must be a TX state law (Repug state legislatures hate Fed laws but are authoritarian, controlling towards its own cities and counties), and TX govt is deeply, probably irreversibly retrograde Repug, with a thoroughly nasty dollop of Bible-thumping.

symple19
09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Arkansas only narrowly voted down a medical marijuana proposition in the last cycle

It's probably not as far off as most would think

Big Empty
09-19-2013, 02:31 PM
as long as the whites have willy nelson showing them its ok then i think it will be fine. alot of texas country music is starting to have mention of it. so when that happens it will get more popular among the republicans

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 02:34 PM
as long as the whites have willy nelson showing them its ok then i think it will be fine. alot of texas country music is starting to have mention of it. so when that happens it will get more popular among the republicans

The only problem with that is they keep busting Willie for weed. He is an American icon, and at his age, they should just leave the old man alone, he's not hurting anyone!

FatBeaner
09-19-2013, 02:37 PM
no boss around today, so i'm gonna go toke in my truck and ponder this question a bit...

Koolaid_Man
09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
If it happens, Texas will probably be the last state it happens in.
However I have heard that the Texas Democrats met in Houston last month and called for decriminalization rather than legalization.
See what I mean?
At a time when most other states law makers want to end the prohibition completely, not just for medical reasons, but for pleasure, ours want to still make it fineable!
Go figure!:rolleyes

it's only being considered because more white boys are being caught :lol

ohmwrecker
09-19-2013, 03:16 PM
It makes too much sense for Texas to do it.

boutons_deux
09-19-2013, 04:47 PM
‪New Bill to Tax and Legalize Marijuana in D.C. Could Solve Budget Deficit

As U.S. lawmakers look for ways to balance the national budget, a new bill formally introduced to the D.C. council this week may provide the answer as a major source of tax revenue.

The bill aims to legalize possession of marijuana for adults over 21, regulate sale and licensing and tax the transactions in order to help generate much-needed tax revenue in the nation's capital.

Initiated by Councilman David Grosso, the bill would eliminate criminal penalties for possession and potentially generate a large new revenue stream by authorizing the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) to license business to produce, process and sell marijuana – with a 15 percent excise tax levied on its sale to go toward substance abuse prevention programs, Wamureported. (http://wamu.org/news/13/09/18/bill_to_legalize_tax_marijuana_introduced_in_dc_co uncil)

Colorado and Washington passed similar laws in 2012 and will begin issuing licenses later this year.

According to Dan Riffle, director of federal policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, marijuana prohibition has been a disastrous public policy failure:

"The District has the highest marijuana possession arrest rate in the country, with black residents more than eight times as likely to be arrested than whites, even with similar levels of use. Despite spending millions of dollars to make thousands of arrests and ruin countless lives, marijuana is almost universally available. It’s time for a smarter approach,” he told Wamu.

http://www.alternet.org/activism/new-bill-tax-and-legalize-marijuana-dc-could-solve-budget-deficit?akid=10952.187590.L0bYIw&rd=1&src=newsletter898716&t=11

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 05:26 PM
‪New Bill to Tax and Legalize Marijuana in D.C. Could Solve Budget Deficit

As U.S. lawmakers look for ways to balance the national budget, a new bill formally introduced to the D.C. council this week may provide the answer as a major source of tax revenue.

The bill aims to legalize possession of marijuana for adults over 21, regulate sale and licensing and tax the transactions in order to help generate much-needed tax revenue in the nation's capital.

Initiated by Councilman David Grosso, the bill would eliminate criminnal penalties for possession and potentially generate a large new revenue stream by authorizing the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) to license business to produce, process and sell marijuana – with a 15 percent excise tax levied on its sale to go toward substance abuse prevention programs, Wamureported. (http://wamu.org/news/13/09/18/bill_to_legalize_tax_marijuana_introduced_in_dc_co uncil)

Colorado and Washington passed similar laws in 2012 and will begin issuing licenses later this year.

According to Dan Riffle, director of federal policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, marijuana prohibition has been a disastrous public policy failure:

"The District has the highest marijuana possession arrest rate in the country, with black residents more than eight times as likely to be arrested than whites, even with similar levels of use. Despite spending millions of dollars to make thousands of arrests and ruin countless lives, marijuana is almost universally available. It’s time for a smarter approach,” he told Wamu.

http://www.alternet.org/activism/new-bill-tax-and-legalize-marijuana-dc-could-solve-budget-deficit?akid=10952.187590.L0bYIw&rd=1&src=newsletter898716&t=11

This is in D.C., not the Feds or the whole U.S.

Dude
09-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I've sparked up in quite a few States and never worried about any laws.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Arkansas only narrowly voted down a medical marijuana proposition in the last cycle

It's probably not as far off as most would think
I'm just guessing that it went like every other marijuana prop where the prison industrial complex poured enough money into it for it to barely lose and could have poured a lot more money into getting it struck down if need be.

symple19
09-19-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm just guessing that it went like every other marijuana prop where the prison industrial complex poured enough money into it for it to barely lose and could have poured a lot more money into getting it struck down if need be.

Tbh, I didn't follow it very closely. I just saw the final tally, which was incredibly close considering how much of a backwoods, jesus-loving state Arkansas truly is.

Much like gay marriage/rights/acceptance, this is an issue that's slowly but surely worming its way into the American consciousness. What results is an ever-growing base of people who smoke bud, a voting bloc that crosses party lines, and doesn't adhere to traditional demographics. Even dirty money can't stop that kind of tidal wave, otherwise it would have in Co/Wash

Imo, the days of pot prohibition are numbered... In all the states. Look for Alaska and Rhode Island to be next

Death In June
09-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Once it gets out of hand, I have a feeling the federal government will step in and put a stop to it. They love a tight leash on their controlled substances and I don't see that mindset changing for a while.

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 07:56 PM
New Mexico and New Jersey too.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Tbh, I didn't follow it very closely. I just saw the final tally, which was incredibly close considering how much of a backwoods, jesus-loving state Arkansas truly is.

Much like gay marriage/rights/acceptance, this is an issue that's slowly but surely worming its way into the American consciousness. What results is an ever-growing base of people who smoke bud, a voting bloc that crosses party lines, and doesn't adhere to traditional demographics. Even dirty money can't stop that kind of tidal wave, otherwise it would have in Co/Wash

Imo, the days of pot prohibition are numbered... In all the states. Look for Alaska and Rhode Island to be next
I don't buy it yet. Marijuana laws are still enforced more harshly and capriciously than they've ever been in America and people in congress who are owned by the PIC regularly put bills forward to make weed laws even more severe.

With illegal gay marriage, it was just a cheap gimmick Republicans used to get votes by pretending they gave a shit about "protecting marriage" by keeping gay marriage illegal. There wasn't an industry with deep pockets that had an economic interest in keeping gay marriage illegal like there is with marijuana.

symple19
09-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't buy it yet. Marijuana laws are still enforced more harshly and capriciously than they've ever been in America and people in congress who are owned by the PIC regularly put bills forward to make weed laws even more severe.

With illegal gay marriage, it was just a cheap gimmick Republicans used to get votes by pretending they gave a shit about "protecting marriage" by keeping marriage illegal. There wasn't an industry with deep pockets that had an economic interest in keeping gay marriage illegal like there is with marijuana.

Interestingly, one of the byproducts of the growing libertarian tilt to the Republican party is support for legalization/decriminalization. Tom Tancredo was a major proponent of the push in Colorado to legalize. Let's hope those states don't fuck it up and set a good precedent for others to follow, tbh

I could be wrong, but I expect the trend to continue.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
That libertarian tilt in the Republican party is less independent and free thinking than everyone gives it credit for. It's a bunch of retards who think they're anti-Corporation while they're owned and controlled by Koch Industries. Once the Koch Brothers decide to reel in the anti-drug movement if they feel their stake in private prisons is threatened and have their libertarian think tanks start publishing propaganda about why marijuana is evil, those "free thinking libertarians!" will flip on the issue.

symple19
09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
That libertarian tilt in the Republican party is less independent and free thinking than everyone gives it credit for. It's a bunch of retards who think they're anti-Corporation while they're owned and controlled by Koch Industries. Once the Koch Brothers decide to reel in the anti-drug movement if they feel their stake in private prisons is threatened and have their libertarian think tanks start publishing propaganda about why marijuana is evil, those "free thinking libertarians!" will flip on the issue.

I recognize the Koch's are a huge influence in the Libertarian shift, but I just can't credit them with being influential with the types of bowl-smoking joe's who I've come into contact with over the years. Your prototypical, blunt-smoking bro can't even spell CATO, much less tell you what it is. They just know that legalizing weed makes sense and are willing to head to the polls to support that belief.

It's also a major activist movement, which, like I said, crosses party lines. The Koch's only have sway over conservative libertarian types, which are probably only a third (just a guess) of those who vote to legalize. Iirc, there were 100k (or so) more votes for legalization in Colorado than there were votes for Obama, who won the state.

That's significant, imo.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I recognize the Koch's are a huge influence in the Libertarian shift, but I just can't credit them with being influential with the types of bowl-smoking joe's who I've come into contact with over the years. Your prototypical, blunt-smoking bro can't even spell CATO, much less tell you what it is. They just know that legalizing weed makes sense and are willing to head to the polls to support that belief.

It's also a major activist movement, which, like I said, crosses party lines. The Koch's only have sway over conservative libertarian types, which are probably only a third (just a guess) of those who vote to legalize. Iirc, there were 100k (or so) more votes for legalization in Colorado than there were votes for Obama, who won the state.

That's significant, imo.
I credit them for it because there was absolutely no libertarian shift until Obama took office. If this libertarian shift was genuine it would have started while Bush was in office. The fact it suddenly popped up once Obama did nothing other than continue Bush's policies yet former Bush supporters became libertarians who are steaming mad over Obama's policies tells me the libertarian movement is manufactured by the Kochs. Once the Republican party takes back control of the white house the libertarian movement we see will vanish quicker than a fart in the wind and be as quiet as it was under Bush.

symple19
09-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I credit them for it because there was absolutely no libertarian shift until Obama took office. If this libertarian shift was genuine it would have started while Bush was in office. The fact it suddenly popped up once Obama did nothing other than continue Bush's policies yet former Bush supporters became libertarians who are steaming mad over Obama's policies tells me the libertarian movement is manufactured by the Kochs. Once the Republican party takes back control of the white house the libertarian movement we see will vanish quicker than a fart in the wind and be as quiet as it was under Bush.

Not much I can say to this other than I hope you're wrong.

I really think that the marijuana issue is stronger than the money those despicable brothers throw around like confetti

xmas1997
09-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Ironically enough one of the biggest opponents of legalization is organized crime itself. They probably have a huge lobby in Washington.

symple19
09-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Ironically enough one of the biggest opponents of legalization is organized crime itself. They probably have a huge lobby in Washington.

OC is a huge reason legalization failed in Cali. They knew they would lose profits if it happened

exstatic
09-20-2013, 12:03 AM

It already is, but if you mean EVERYWHERE in the US, you may have underestimated the closed conservative mind. When I moved to TX in 1984, I went to the mall on Sunday, and it was fucking closed. They still had Blue laws on the books when most civilized states repealed them during/after WWII, so going by that, it could be 40-50 years, maybe longer, until the Bubba south catches up.

Jacob1983
09-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Think of all the so-called anti-marijuana politicians in the Senate and House of Representatives. How many of them do you think get money and favors from criminals and the mob by being anti-marijuana and for the drug war?

symple19
09-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Think of all the so-called anti-marijuana politicians in the Senate and House of Representatives. How many of them do you think get money and favors from criminals and the mob by being anti-marijuana and for the drug war?

If I were you I would I would ingest a pound of insecticide

Jacob1983
09-20-2013, 03:07 AM
You gonna pay for the insecticide?

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2013, 05:56 AM
You gonna pay for the insecticide?
Gladly.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2013, 05:57 AM
It already is, but if you mean EVERYWHERE in the US, you may have underestimated the closed conservative mind. When I moved to TX in 1984, I went to the mall on Sunday, and it was fucking closed. They still had Blue laws on the books when most civilized states repealed them during/after WWII, so going by that, it could be 40-50 years, maybe longer, until the Bubba south catches up.
:lol I just moved here and couldn't fuckin believe I wasn't allowed to buy alcohol a half hour before football started

leemajors
09-20-2013, 07:26 AM
:lol I just moved here and couldn't fuckin believe I wasn't allowed to buy alcohol a half hour before football started

You can before noon if you order food at the same time.

xmas1997
09-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I wonder if the federal government will ever legalize it, much less the states.

The Reckoning
09-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I wonder if the federal government will ever legalize it, much less the states.

it doesn't. for example the drinking age is actually set by the states, but the feds bribe states with funding to set it the same across the board.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2013, 05:42 PM
You can before noon if you order food at the same time.
Who the hell goes to order beer at a restaurant before noon :lol, that part makes no sense. If I'm buying beer before noon on a Sunday, it's because I'm on my way to go watch football with people.

:lol jeebotards saying they want small government and are anti-nanny state yet think the government should tell people when we can/can't buy alcohol.

leemajors
09-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Who the hell goes to order beer at a restaurant before noon :lol, that part makes no sense. If I'm buying beer before noon on a Sunday, it's because I'm on my way to go watch football with people.

:lol jeebotards saying they want small government and are anti-nanny state yet think the government should tell people when we can/can't buy alcohol.

It's just a loophole in the blue law, the servers at the Alamo Drafthouse used it all the time.

m>s
09-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I think Goldman Sachs actually has as much to do with it as the Koch brothers do, tbh.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
09-20-2013, 07:01 PM

I'm surprised you haven't run into any dry areas yet tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised you haven't run into any dry areas yet tbh
Haven't been outside Dallas really (sans the drive).

There aren't any dry areas in Dallas are there? :lol

xmas1997
09-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Yes, there are lots, Richardson for one.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
09-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Yeah by the galleria last I checked

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

leemajors
09-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Dry Counties as of June 2013
(No sales of alcoholic beverages are legal anywhere in the county.)

1. Andrews
2. Bailey
3. Borden
4. Collingsworth
5. Delta

6. Fisher
7. Hemphill
8. Kent
9. Martin
10. Parmer
11. Roberts
12. Sterling
13. Throckmorton

I believe in the Dallas area most of the dryer places are in and around FW and Grand Prairie. There used to be dry areas in Dallas, but you could still buy a permit to purchase drinks at some restaurants from what I remember visiting friends in the late 90s. It was pretty much a joke anyway and the pieces of paper were easy to get a hold of.

xmas1997
09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
As far as weed goes, the whole damn state is dry as hell.