PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson as point guard?

caspian
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Y'betcha

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/0705/22hawks.html

"But the Hawks want Johnson to play point guard, a radical idea to some, and not take over the position earmarked for Childress."

Also, it doesn't look like the Hawks are interested in moving Childress.

1Parker1
07-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, he's done it as backup for Nash when he's resting last season. It would be like putting Manu as PG permanently...which many people on the forum would like to do :)

spur219
07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Ya Joe Johnson played some point guard last season.

Trainwreck2100
07-22-2005, 12:55 PM
As long as he plays for the Hawks, who cares?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
This guy will struggle playing starters minutes at point guard. Mark my words.

timvp
07-22-2005, 01:12 PM
If the Spurs are going to trade Rasho and Scola to the Hawks, Childress is the only player to target. Nobody else on that team would work on the Spurs (unless they want to give San Antonio Marvin Williams or Josh Smith, which is doubtful).

Al Harrington would be a disaster.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2005, 01:15 PM
If the Spurs are going to trade Rasho and Scola to the Hawks, Childress is the only player to target. Nobody else on that team would work on the Spurs (unless they want to give San Antonio Marvin Williams or Josh Smith, which is doubtful).

Al Harrington would be a disaster.

you think he's a bust?
I dont think we know enough about childress to think that isnt the case with him too

timvp
07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Harrington isn't a bench player. He got out of an awesome situation for himself in Indiana because he wanted to start. He's not going to come to San Antonio and be happy being a bench player again.

Besides, he's not even that good. The Hawks have been trying to trade him since they got him. He's a ball hog who is too small to be a true power forward in the NBA and is too thick to be small forward.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Harrington isn't a bench player. He got out of an awesome situation for himself in Indiana because he wanted to start. He's not going to come to San Antonio and be happy being a bench player again.

Besides, he's not even that good. The Hawks have been trying to trade him since they got him. He's a ball hog who is too small to be a true power forward in the NBA and is too thick to be small forward.

hahaha, he's a tweener. I love tweeners. I'd like to see an entire team full of tweeners and a good coach and see if they can succeed.

I dont think we get either one of them though...so far this has been a typical spurs offseason....slooowww...and quiet.

texbumTHElife
07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Joe Johnson started his career as a PG for the Celtics and looked VERY promising at the position.

Marcus Bryant
07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, if they want a starting center they better hand him over. Also, Marvin Williams isn't going to start? Come on.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Shit, if I was in his shoes and they were throwing that kind of money at me they could tell me they were going to put me at the center position. I think he probably will struggle as the Hawks PG. He might have been a good backup option in Phoenix but there was not a whole lot of half court sets to run. Not only that but with all the young, raw talent on that team that's putting a huge burden on the PG to make that offense flow. Even the best might have problems with that and he's not a pure PG.

caspian
07-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I find it hard to believe that he'd want to leave the Suns unless there is a major variance in money. They are at least a contender...and he would certainly get his playing time.

Sense
07-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Joe would be better than Lue, and the other oldskooler...

and yeah, who cares he's a hawk...it would probably work.

Brutalis
07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Joe was a point guard at the U of Arkansas. And also through highschool too.

He'd be fine playing PG, he isnt clumsy with the ball.

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Johnson might struggle against certain defensive guards. They'll need a backup, in any case, if Lue escapes back to LA.

I don't see Atlanta giving up Josh Childress. He might be the most promising player on the team at this point.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Even if the hawks can get johnson to play the point you still have to fit in Williams, Smith, Childress, and Harrington.

He has a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio and seemed to handle the ball well of what i saw of him. More importantly his defensive skill on the ball against other point guards would def be intriguing.

Even if you play Harrington out of position at PF you still have to sit one of Smith, Childress or Williams which is going to piss them off and you have a HUGE GAPING HOLE AT CENTER. this would only exacerbate harringtons problems at the 4.

It really depends on what the Hawks do. If they land Johnson and resign Lue then Childress/Delk for Rasho/Scola makes sense.

Spurs get talent for the future in Childress who is signed through 08 and Delk who serves insurnace for Beno.

The hawks have mucho cap room and can sign Scola for the 4+ mil he requires. Collins becomes the back up he should be and they can work in Williams who is still very raw behind Smith and Harrington. Lue backs up Johnson at the point. They are thin in the front court but most teams are.

Rasho/Scola/Collins is so much better then Collins alone its not funny.

If the Hawks manage to sign Johnson then they have to decide whether or not to develop Williams, Childress or Smith. There are simply not going to be enough minutes.

Mr. Body
07-22-2005, 05:24 PM
The problem is, Childress is just as much a tweener as Al Harrington is, except he's stuck between a 2 and a 3. He doesn't have enough of a shot to be a shooting guard and is too small and slight to be a small forward.

... And as far as roster problems go, the way Marvin Williams has been playing in the summer leagues (and frankly, how he was playing in college), he will 'potentially' be a good player someday, but that day will not be today or any other day this season. Expect him off the bench.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-22-2005, 05:46 PM
The problem is, Childress is just as much a tweener as Al Harrington is, except he's stuck between a 2 and a 3. He doesn't have enough of a shot to be a shooting guard and is too small and slight to be a small forward.

... And as far as roster problems go, the way Marvin Williams has been playing in the summer leagues (and frankly, how he was playing in college), he will 'potentially' be a good player someday, but that day will not be today or any other day this season. Expect him off the bench.

While he does have limited three point range. he shoots 47% from the field and has a midrange jumper.

Besides he was a rookie and a 3 point shot can be developed. At least he hits his free throws.

caspian
07-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, he's done it as backup for Nash when he's resting last season. It would be like putting Manu as PG permanently...which many people on the forum would like to do :)

I would love to have Joe as point if I were building a team. I would also love to have Manu running the show.

...assuming they ran point because the 2 player was more than suitable.

Money316
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
As long as he plays for the Hawks, who cares?

Amen brah.

:fro :fro :fro

Dre_7
07-23-2005, 03:53 AM
How tall is J Johnson?

6'8"??

lordswing
07-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Yep, it says in that article. Childress is also, says numerous times that Childress wants to have a backcourt with JJ and him :)

lordswing
07-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Nm, that seems like an edited version. The papers that I read showed Childress commenting on both of them being 6'8 and playing backcourt together