PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore

Avante
09-20-2013, 01:54 AM
What if there was a Mount Rushmore for American rock and rollers? Yep, somewhere out there in Montana, Idaho, North Dakota etc, there they are carved out of stone...

Elvis
Bob Dylan
Chuck Berry
?

How about boxing, rasslin', jazz, actors, writers..hmmmm?

Nbadan
09-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Funding....and the ideal place would be the black hills in south Dakota...

ohmwrecker
09-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Hendrix

Spur|n|Austin
09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Chad Kroeger

Trill Clinton
09-20-2013, 09:56 AM
rock n rollers: little richard, jimmi hendrix, chuck berry, ike turner and ray charles

Dark Gable
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Motown

Avante
09-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Hendrix

The guy was amazing but he doesn't belong there.

Avante
09-20-2013, 05:48 PM
rock n rollers: little richard, jimmi hendrix, chuck berry, ike turner and ray charles

Little Richard over Buddy Holly?

Avante
09-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Motown

You'd have to have The Temps and The Supremes, that's a lot of heads.

ohmwrecker
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM

That's dumb. Why?

I'm with you on Buddy Holly though.

xmas1997
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Eric Clapton, Jim Morison, John Lennon

Avante
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
That's dumb. Why?

I'm with you on Buddy Holly though.

Who said it was dumb, I can see a case made for Hendrix. I just don't think he made the impact that...

Elvis
Dylan
Berry
Holly

...made on rock and roll. Keep in mind those guys were pretty much the founders of it with the exception of Dylan.

I'd have to also go with the above mentioned Little Richard before Hendrix.

Avante
09-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Eric Clapton, Jim Morison, John Lennon

American!!!!!!!

We can't just have Jim Morrison, we'd have to go with...The Doors.

cantthinkofanything
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Chad Kroeger

:lol

perfect

ohmwrecker
09-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Who said it was dumb, I can see a case made for Hendrix. I just don't think he made the impact that...

I sais it was dumb. Hendrix made a huge impact. Extremely innovative. No other guitarist has made that big of an impact. That's not even a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

Elvis-Brilliant performer and an icon, but subpar as a musician and a songwriter.
Dylan-Greatest modern American songwriter. Not even close.
Berry-Invented rock 'n' roll. Essential.
Holly-Completely underrated influence on the genre. Fantastic musician, singer, songwriter, producer . . . personally, I put him above Elvis.

...made on rock and roll. Keep in mind those guys were pretty much the founders of it with the exception of Dylan.

Everybody knows who the founders of rock 'n' roll are, dickwad.

I'd have to also go with the above mentioned Little Richard before Hendrix.

:lmao

Avante
09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
I sais it was dumb. Hendrix made a huge impact. Extremely innovative. No other guitarist has made that big of an impact. That's not even a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

This isn't about who was the greatest guitarists. Yes, Jimi Hendrix hands down. But....he was influensed by too many who came before him.

So tell me dickwad who recordeed what is considered the first rock & roll record? As you run of to Google.

You must not know anything about Little Richard....either.

Everybody knows who the founders of rock 'n' roll are, dickwad.

:lmao

Avante
09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
This isn't about who was the greatest guitarist. Yes, Jimi Hendrix hands down. But....he was influensed by too many who came before him.

So tell me dickwad who recorded what is considered the first rock & roll record? As you run of to Google.

You must not know anything about Little Richard....either.

ohmwrecker
09-20-2013, 07:09 PM
We have already discussed the first rock 'n' roll record. Stop changing the subject. I'm not going to respond to your nonsense. Stay on topic. I'm not going to play this game with you. I'm not in the mood.

Avante
09-21-2013, 02:15 AM
We have already discussed the first rock 'n' roll record. Stop changing the subject. I'm not going to respond to your nonsense. Stay on topic. I'm not going to play this game with you. I'm not in the mood.

I don't give a fuck what mood you're in...ok?

Jimi wasn't the pioneer that Little Richard was. Hendrix has talked about getting a lot of his stuff from flamboyant Guitar Slim.

The Reckoning
09-21-2013, 02:43 AM
a mount rushmore of rock and roll needs to span decades of growth into the 90s alternative scene. dylan is and always will be folk music to me.

berry, elvis, hendrix, alice cooper

those would be mine to span the genre as far as americans go.

you could even fit iggy pop somewhere in there.

Avante
09-21-2013, 02:45 AM
a mount rushmore of rock and roll needs to span decades of growth into the 90s alternative scene. dylan is and always will be folk music to me.

berry, elvis, hendrix, alice cooper

those would be mine to span the genre as far as americans go.

If you look at Rolling Stone Mag Top 500 R&R Record Albums of all time Dylan has tons listed. While he did have folk/blues roots, he's rock.

I think we all agree on Elvis and Chuck Berry. Like I mentioned yes Hendrix can be argued. Alice Cooper?

The Reckoning
09-21-2013, 02:47 AM
If you look at Rolling Stone Mag Top 500 R&R Record Albums of all time Dylan has tons listed. While he did have folk/blues roots, he's rock.

I think we all agree on Elvis and Chuck Berry. Like I mentioned yes Hendrix can be argued. Alice Cooper?

i editted to include iggy pop as well.

rock has evolved into as much of a stage performance as the actual music. i don't think you can deny that.

Avante
09-21-2013, 02:50 AM
i editted to include iggy pop as well.

rock has evolved into as much of a stage performance as the actual music. i don't think you can deny that.

I think it's going to take those who made the biggest impact in the genre. Not really about the evolution of the music more about the roots of it.

The Reckoning
09-21-2013, 02:55 AM
I think it's going to take those who made the biggest impact in the genre. Not really about the evolution of the music more about the roots of it.

then your mountain would have nothing but blues artists if you're looking roots. i'm talking innovators throughout the times regardless of your personal taste or quality of music.

imo, the antics of the late 70s and 80s really escalated a backlash against rock evolution with grunge, post grunge, r&b etc into the 90s and into today. it really did have an impact.

Avante
09-21-2013, 03:06 AM
then your mountain would have nothing but blues artists if you're looking roots. i'm talking innovators throughout the times regardless of your personal taste or quality of music.

imo, the antics of the late 70s and 80s really escalated a backlash against rock evolution with grunge, post grunge, r&b etc into the 90s and into today. it really did have an impact.

While most know about the blues roots of rock nobody mistakes rockers for bluesmen. Chuck Berry would never be called a bluesman.

You have to look at who you talk about first when talking rock & roll. You cannot talk about the music and not talk Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Little Richard. You can talk about the music and never mention Iggy Pop or Alice Cooper. You would talk about The Crows before you would anyone post 1965.

If you were teaching the origins of the music look how many others you'd have talked about before Iggy and Alice.

1lLdtxrAJuU

The Reckoning
09-21-2013, 03:32 AM
have you ever seen mount rushmore? you obviously don't understand the concept.

i'm done with this discussion.

Avante
09-21-2013, 04:21 AM
have you ever seen mount rushmore? you obviously don't understand the concept.

i'm done with this discussion.

Do you honestly believe Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper..hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Somebody doesn't understand the concept that's for damn sure.

HeadBanger
09-21-2013, 08:51 AM

BS! He is rock guitar,

Avante
09-21-2013, 01:18 PM
BS! He is rock guitar,

He had too many influenses.

ohmwrecker
09-21-2013, 07:37 PM
He had too many influenses.

All musicians are influenced by what came before. That argument is completely invalid. Nobody evolved rock guitar like Hendrix. He is the zenith.

Proxy
09-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Hendrix belongs in there for sure. He revolutionized the instrument that defines rock and roll

Avante
09-22-2013, 01:18 AM
All musicians are influenced by what came before. That argument is completely invalid. Nobody evolved rock guitar like Hendrix. He is the zenith.

Apparently you've never heard of Duane Eddy.

uGPG_Y-_BZI

Avante
09-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Hendrix belongs in there for sure. He revolutionized the instrument that defines rock and roll

Too many great rock guitarists before Hendrix.

ohmwrecker
09-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Duane Eddy was great, but he was no Hendrix. I will see your Duane Eddy and raise you a Link Wray.

CuckingFunt
09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I will see your Duane Eddy and raise you a Link Wray.

That.

xmas1997
09-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Can't beat the Beatles. They changed practically every form of music and originated most of the rest.

Avante
09-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Duane Eddy was great, but he was no Hendrix. I will see your Duane Eddy and raise you a Link Wray.

Would you believe I was going to also mention Link Wray?

Avante
09-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Can't beat the Beatles. They changed practically every form of music and originated most of the rest.

Americans!!!!!!!!!!!

xmas1997
09-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Lennon became an American citizen before he was pointlessly murdered.
Ronnie Milsap
Jerry Reed
Les Paul
Glen Campbell
Buddy Holley from Lubbock, Texas.
Janis Joplin
Everly Brothers
Peter, Paul, and Mary
Jefferson Airplane
Grateful Dead
Annette Funicello - just kidding

ohmwrecker
09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Would you believe I was going to also mention Link Wray?

No.

xmas1997
09-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Who is this Avanti character, and how does he compare to kobyz and TGY?